FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 61 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
Marcus Charles 1
TooNice 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Today at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#269747 - 07/07/06 06:59 AM WT vs. grappling attack
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Kent, U.K.
Firstly I am not trying to make a flame war I am just trying to get a WC/WT view on it and also to start a new thread of interest. I have trained in this area, although I would like to hear your views on it.
So with all that talk on WT/WC vs. MMA, what do you think is the best way to respond to a wrestling or shoot fighting attack from a wing chun perspective?

#269748 - 07/07/06 08:22 AM Re: WT vs. grappling attack [Re: Tezza]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
Do you use elbows or knees? That may be a good start.

#269749 - 07/07/06 08:35 AM Re: WT vs. grappling attack [Re: Fisherman]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Kent, U.K.
Yes definately a lot of elbow work is done. I have studied the basic grappling work done in Wing Chun I was just interested to see what others do in the circumstances and what has worked best for them.

#269750 - 07/07/06 09:59 AM Re: WT vs. grappling attack [Re: Tezza]
monji112000 Offline

knees and sprawl.

for very crisp low shoots sprawl.
If you feel like you can knee then knee hard and fast.
I have seen other variations using a fook sao ect..
Sprawl isn't really WC, but you can use WC ideas. like push/pull, low center, ect..

#269751 - 07/07/06 10:06 AM Re: WT vs. grappling attack [Re: Tezza]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
I agree with monji on this one - even my sifu says that WC has a lot of answers but not all of them. Developing a good sprawl is definitely the easiest way to defend a take down. And since it puts your attacker horizontally upside down and under you, you can attack the back of the head/spine with all sorts of nasty tricks.

#269752 - 07/07/06 03:00 PM Re: WT vs. grappling attack [Re: ShikataGaNai]
SLW Offline

I'm arrived at this topic kinda late. Does anyone have a picture of a what a sprawl is?I'm not quite sure what it is and would like to know.

I have seen a video of a cage(not really a cage just locked a on all sides ring) fight in which the judo fighter immediately went for the tackle on the WC fighter and failed to bring him down until the WC fighter lifted his leg to kick thus disrupting his own balance and fell. The Judo guy kept punching and the WC guy tapped out in no time.

Being a WC student(just completed siu lim tao), I always wanted to think of ways not to end up in this situation. Is side stepping or jumping over his shoulder by stepping on it when he goes for a takedown a useful move?

Or if we sucessfully predict that he is gonna use a takedown(which he does eventually) will trying to use the centreline theory by locating our foot in the middle of his groin beforehand then repeatedly kicking it work?

#269753 - 07/07/06 03:26 PM Re: WT vs. grappling attack [Re: SLW]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Check this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asL8eVM2wPw&search=wrestling

At 0:10 seconds in, the guy in blue shoots in for a takedown. The guy in black/red does a sprawl to counter, driving the guy in blue to the floor.

#269754 - 07/07/06 03:41 PM Re: WT vs. grappling attack [Re: SLW]
monji112000 Offline

I donít think you will have time normally to jump over the person. Really basic wrestling skills I think are very important for any style. (Thatís why I am going to cross train when I get time in wrestling).

Some clips of sprawls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDQcTubBlFM&search=sprawl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccaEYUTIHSk&search=sprawl

I heard of also someone doing something similar to a sprawl with a Wing Chun horse. Donít really know much about wrestling. From what people have shown me the basic idea is drop your weight fast and spread your legs. The main point is to push as much down and forward as possible (mostly down). He has to carry your whole body weight and maybe you can even push with your horse. I have seen people setup for basic neck chokes and knees to the head from the sprawl. I strongly believe you can take the ideas in SLT and other parts of Wing chun and apply them here as in any place in fighting.
Forexample :
I havnít experimented with this but I am sure you can use the proper WC horse body mechanics for the sprawl. Also A good fook sao could be used or a gum sao. Ect.. I havnít really messed with this that much but I think itís a good cover for a low shoot.

If the shoot isnít low (most are lazy) then I feel comfortable kneeing.

The only way to really be able to handle something like this is to learn how to shoot properly and train it over and over again. Different speeds , levels ect..

#269755 - 07/07/06 04:02 PM Re: WT vs. grappling attack [Re: SLW]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
With all the interest in ring fighting, most likely due to UFC/Pride, it really is important to cross train. As much as some people would have you believe, WC is not a a pure "style", but is much more a toolkit. Just like when you work on a car - you use a wrench when you need a wrench, not a screwdriver. Shooting did not play into much ring or street combat back in Ip Man's day - those guys were worried enough with Karate, which subsequently Hawkins Cheung cross trained in for the very reason that he wanted to beat karateka. "My technique is your technique" is probably the smartest thing Bruce ever said and it is exemplary of WC theory. Right now WC seems to be in some sort of danger of becoming a dead art because attempts at proving it's ring effectiveness have been futile. I don't think it's the art, but the wrong people representing it. Incorporating a sprawl into your bag of tricks is as good as mandatory these days - there's no reason to argue that it isn't WC. WC is about getting the job done in a quick, economical and direct fashion, right?
My sifu was training vale tudo fighters in WC for a while and he admits that when adapted to the ring, it is cut down to about 50% of it's material. In fact, outside of tan sao, gan sao, bong sao, pak sao (i think) and chain punching, the rest is anything goes.
On the "street" (hate that term), shooting is ill advised and if someone did, sprawl and get back on your feet to end the fight or run. Of course on the street, fightin is ill advised altogether.

#269756 - 07/07/06 04:27 PM Re: WT vs. grappling attack [Re: ShikataGaNai]
monji112000 Offline

Well it depends on who you are talking about in when you say Ip man's time. Ip man had many students and also closed door disciples.
I know of 2 Disciples that have trained hard against Thai Fighters. They have had a great deal of success. I know of one that focused more of Law enforcement, and self defense.

Just because the 3 most famous students of Ip man didn't do something doesn't mean everyone didn't. Don't think that the perspective of Leung ting, William Cheung and Moy Yat are the only perspectives.
Most of the people who learned to apply Wing Chun, are not known to 95% of Wing Chun Practitioners. Humility is a large reason, among others.

From what I understand Ip man believed in Abstract ideas. He tailored the abstract around each person (or the ones he wanted to teach). So if you understand the abstract then you can apply it differently.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga