FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 59 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Today at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#269132 - 11/18/06 08:19 AM Re: Quality Sai [Re: Borrek]
Chatan1979 Offline

Loc: Mahomet , Illinois
I use the Shureido Natural as well and I can attest for its good quality. Sometimes in the summer when it is humid they will oxidize a bit and the dust will rub on your gi, but if you wipe them down before you train its not so bad.

#269133 - 11/18/06 09:32 PM Re: Quality Sai [Re: Borrek]
IRKguy Offline

You have been extremely helpful, and I just put in an order to Shureido in Okinawa. It's surprising how closely their standard sizes fit my build. Maybe I'm built like an Okinawan, big trunk, short limbs, big hands, short fingers. Maybe not. I understand their trunks are small as well.

With the yen low these days, I might actually be saving money by buying direct. It all depends upon the shipping price, which should come by email soon. I went ahead and included a pair of tonfa in the order, as well as carry bags, since I want to throw a couple packs of silica gel into the bag to prevent serious rust and don't want my dessicant drying out my gi instead of my weapon.

I've looked at your posts, and you seem to know what you are talking about. I'm not Shito Ryu myself, but I have known an owner of a Shito Ryu dojo. I'm saying that I've thought about it and your advice carries weight.

#269134 - 11/29/06 01:01 AM Re: Quality Sai [Re: IRKguy]
IRKguy Offline

An update on Shureido Okinawa. There seems to be something wrong with their order form, since I have tried to order from them twice and gotten no reply. Your milage may vary. They are still a better deal than any US distributor if you can reach them, especially if you are ordering in bulk. I was not ordering in bulk, so the international call, had I made it, would have cut into my savings on the deal, so I bought domestically. The hassle was not worth the cost difference.

I found a distibutor my dojo does not have a problem with. However, it turns out that kobudo weapons tend to get stuck in customs. Apparently, DHS is concerned about terrorists attacking the White House with sai. If the service and product are good, I will pass on a link to the person I ordered the sai through. So far, he has been friendly and seems very familiar with the product he carries--when it is in stock. He seems to only carry products he personally uses, since he could make a lot more money by having a wider selection. I am given to respect that.

However, I found that WeaponsConnection (that plus dot com) is almost the same price and a better product for tonfa, if you are willing to wait for the man to custom make your weapon to your body--about ten weeks. He only makes the square kind, but he makes them out of wood harder than red oak, and you don't have to choose between two sizes. You have to tell him the length of your arm and the width of your hand. When Shureido Okinawa seemed to be unresponsive, I went ahead and ordered through him. Again, I will pass on my experience. So far, I have found him to be unresponsive, either because he is away or because he has gotten emails before that have not led to sales. However, I went ahead and ordered from him because I have seen his finished products, and I have not yet seen anything better than what he makes. Again, I will pass on my experience of service and product.

#269135 - 11/29/06 04:40 PM Re: Quality Sai [Re: IRKguy]
Saisho Offline
more than just a pretty face

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Quote:

I was not ordering in bulk, so the international call, had I made it, would have cut into my savings on the deal, so I bought domestically. The hassle was not worth the cost difference.

Not that this completely relates, but there is computer software that allows you to make calls over your computer for pennies. The software I got is called "Skype". I got it and the phone at Wal-Mart and can make calls to Okinawa and Australia (as well as almost everywhere else) for $0.02 per minute.

------

its bordering on OT but since it sort of relates in a tiny way I'll let it go

Edited by Reiki (11/29/06 05:07 PM)

#269136 - 12/01/06 12:29 AM Re: Quality Sai [Re: Saisho]
IRKguy Offline

Thank you for the phone info. I don't know if it applies to me, since I'm dialup. (I know it's lame, but I go online mostly for text, not for graphics and videos.)

It turns out that Shureido Okinawa (at least I hope it was them) contacted me about an hour after I made the last post. They knew, approximately, the order I had tried to make, however, I had already ordered through other suppliers and did not want to cancel orders taken in good faith, since the orders to Shureido had long gone unconfirmed and could be considered cancelled by default. (Besides, they got the size wrong on the sai and did not mention the size of the tonfa; any other information they had could have been known from my post or deduced easily.)

One strange thing: they wanted my credit card info by email or fax, which I did not think was too secure. As I said, I went with my previous suppliers. I will report on the other suppliers when they deliver.

The Shureido emails, when they got to me, seemed very responsive and polite. However, it is hard to tell when you have the real thing and when you have someone who has made his email address look like Shureido. I've gotten emails with forged addresses before, even emails forged to be from me.

I'm not saying they were fake. The fax number they offered was very similar to the Shureido fax number. I'm just saying that no legitimate business has ever asked me for credit card information by email before. Anyone who has ordered from them before can correct me. Please correct me. I would not want to slander what I know to be a great provider of authentic Okinawan Karate supplies.

#269137 - 12/01/06 10:34 AM Re: Quality Sai [Re: IRKguy]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
I deal directly with Shureido in the USA, and I've never had a problem. I call them in California (I seem to call to recall that they are closed on Mondays). I put my order in over the phone (I like chit chat with people). And the item always arrives on time.

Sorry you are having such a problem.

#269138 - 12/02/06 10:46 PM Re: Quality Sai [Re: harlan]
IRKguy Offline

I'm not trying to slam Shureido. I would not be trying to buy weapons from them if I did not think that they were reputible and skilled. I'm saying that I am concerned that the person emailing me was not from Shureido. I started emailing in 1988, and I know that it is not a secure system of transfer. It relays through dozens of places domestically. I can't imagine how many relays there are internationally. I had no way of knowing the transaction was secure, and I can't imagine such a respected company uses so dangerous a system.

I'm on the other coast and don't know if it is better to order from ShureidoUSA or from Shureido Okinawa, since exchange rates change every day and shipping charges were never disclosed. The person emailing me seemed to have no idea, which seemed odd to me, since they should be shipping to the US every day. I had already ordered through domestic suppliers when I got no response from either company.

Then, after two weeks of no response, I post to a public forum. Then, in hours, I get someone who wants my credit card number almost immediately. Does that not seem shady? My opinion is that there is Shureido Okinawa trying the best it can and not knowing its online order form does not work. There is also an outside phisher who sees that someone wants to make payment. He sends me an email.

The scam I am talking about has nothing to do with Shureido. I've used their weapons, and they have my respect. My issue is that I have no way of knowing if someone with Shureido as his address is really the real thing.

#269139 - 12/06/06 10:38 AM Re: Quality Sai [Re: IRKguy]
Meibukan003 Offline

Wow, some of those prices are wild. I paid $65 CDN in 1994 and they are still going strong. I even learned to throw them, and they are still good after hitting each other and being in the mud / rain / grass.

#269140 - 01/07/07 09:07 PM Re: Quality Sai [Re: IRKguy]
IRKguy Offline

I still have not seen the sai I ordered from a CA dojo distibuting Shureido weapons. I've spoken on the phone with him several times and he seems to be a nice guy, but seriously, I almost could have had the things custom made by this time. Carbone custom-makes better sai in 10 weeks. This place takes seven weeks to deliver something off the shelf. After a couple broken promises, I was promised (3rd strike) the sai by the end of the weekend. I'll be watching my mailbox for the next couple days, but if I do not see it soon I will post the name and link to this non-distributor.

He refuses to send me a tracking number for something he claims to have sent weeks ago. I suspect that he intends to send it on a quick delivery to cover up for his own delays, but with no tracking number and no sai, I have no reason to believe he is even in the business of selling weapons. So far, all I know is that he is in the business of charging credit card numbers.

For those of you thinking of ordering immediately, he is in pinot noir wine country, not Napa.

#269141 - 01/08/07 01:57 PM Re: Quality Sai Fraud? [Re: IRKguy]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Time to get your money back from the dojo. Sounds like consumer fraud from someone capitalizing on the good name of Shureido.

Anybody here from California who might be able to research this a bit?

I've never had a problem...and like I said...I called the company directly (using the site I listed earlier and cutting out any middleman profiteers)...and had the weapons within a week.

You might want to call Shureido in California...and give them a head's up about this distributer...as it is giving them a bad name.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga