FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 2
ergees 2
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35584 Topics
432513 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#268838 - 08/20/06 09:00 PM Re: Weapon you can carry for self-defence that's l [Re: crablord]
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
Maybe you should discuss doing this with your instructor as part of a training camp exercise on self defense and street techniques.

Have a goodie bag full of odd items and select one each [as you would if you were attacked by someone and didnt have a nore normal weapon handy] and develop some SD techniques that you could use it for.

We do this from time to time with our students along with knife defenses and its a very interesting exercise.

#268839 - 08/20/06 11:05 PM Re: Weapon you can carry for self-defence that's l [Re: crablord]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Has anyone seen my play do?

#268840 - 08/21/06 12:00 AM Re: Weapon you can carry for self-defence that's l [Re: crablord]
paradoxbox Offline
Enthusiast

all of those things are improvised weapons buddy

where do you think bojutsu 'staffs' came from? On the mainland it was if the end of your yari or naginata broke off. In Okinawa it would likely be because nothing else was allowed. That's improvisation.

Kobudo weapons were all about improvising, when will you ever see the light?

#268841 - 08/21/06 01:37 AM Re: Weapon you can carry for self-defence that's l [Re: paradoxbox]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
Its not that I dont see what you guys are getting at, I understand, but get what im saying - Anyone can stab someone with a pen, theres no skill in it. But I go to training so I know how to defend myself without the pen. I dont believe in relying on an pen during life or death situations. What If you dont have a pen? or any weapon for that matter, Im just saying we should be concentrating more on training for an unarmed fight than one where you are so lucky as to have "steel biro" in your pocket. Prepare for the worst, not the best.

-------

Look at the thread title.

Weapon you can carry for self-defence that's legal

Edited by Reiki (08/21/06 05:44 PM)

#268842 - 08/21/06 03:35 AM Re: Weapon you can carry for self-defence that's l [Re: crablord]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
You really don't get it do you? No one here has or is saying anything about "relying" on a pen for self defense. Your living in a dream world where you think your empty hand training alone will take care of all your needs. What your missing, and what those with a large amount of experience beyond you are saying, is that you should train and be able to use what ever is available to you. A pen is only ONE viable and PRACTICLE item that can be used in a self defense situation. You have been told over and over by more than one person here that there is more to using something such as a pen than simply stabbing someone with it. A sturdy pen can be used to increase leverage in a lock and amplify pain compliance techniques. Have you even bothered to look up the kubotan? It's something that is taught in several Shotokan, Shito Ryu and Goju Ryu schools as well as many other systems. Just because itís not taught in your school doesnít mean itís not right or not part of the system. This is where your lack of experience comes in, you don't know what youíre talking about and you don't have a basic understanding of the subject. That's fine and completely understandable with regards to your age and time in training.

You say you can see where we are coming from and that you "understand" but you haven't the slightest clue. It's obvious when you make statements like
Quote:

The karate is at combined martial arts. And Its frigging pointless to go to karate to learn self defence if im gonna be a pusy and use a pen. [censored] improvised weapons

and
Quote:

Well good luck defending yourself with a pen guys, Ill stick with my fists, or a blade of some sort.

Youíre missing the point of this entire thread on more than one level. Firstly your views on the use of improvised weapons are way off cue. Your idea of what an improvised weapon IS leaves a lot to be desired too. Then there is the subject of this thread in particular "Weapon you can carry for self-defense that's legal". You see this is why the pen was brought up to begin with; most knives are NOT legal to carry. Even if the knife you are carrying is legal, unless it is directly related to your occupation, its use would reinforce the assumption that you are carrying it with the intent to use it against someone. Which in many places equals automatic jail time as with most weapons. A pen on the other hand can effectively be used for self defense without causing serious damage to your attacker. Having a pen does not show intent to harm others and is normally viewed as a spontaneous or improvised weapon which is not premeditated.

I'm glad you feel your training will save you in a confrontation but you need to be realistic. Take whatever advantage you can in an attack.

Pay closer attention to the conversation before you start running your trap.

#268843 - 08/22/06 07:57 PM Re: Weapon you can carry for self-defence that's l [Re: Darthmaul]
919security Offline
Stranger

Loc: VA, USA
Pepper spray is not able to be shipped to NY or Massachusetts. I had a guy in NY order from my website a pepper spray stunning ring and I had to turn him down. Secondly, stun guns are illegal in NY as well.

------------------

edited because advertising is not allowed in these forums

Edited by Reiki (08/30/06 03:52 PM)

#268844 - 08/23/06 12:20 AM Re: Weapon you can carry for self-defence that's legal [Re: 919security]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

yup, thats why I just buy mine in New Hampshire. I give them out as Christmas stocking stuffers.

no cop in Massachusetts is going to bust someone for having mace unless they find something ELSE you shouldn't be carrying....like guns, crack or driving with >0.08 blood alcohol or even using it at the drive-up window at mcdonalds when they get your order wrong.

If someone can prevent being raped but gets a $50 slap on the wrist for having it...who comes out on top?

but I hear what you are saying about on-line ordering.

#268845 - 08/29/06 10:21 PM Re: Weapon you can carry for self-defence that's l [Re: crablord]
Mandolynn Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Quote:

look, im gonna give this one last try ok? If you are an average bloke and you are attacked on the street, and you happen to have a pen is your pocket, it means nothing, the pen is useless. If you are a trained martial arts expert, and you are skilled in the use of such weapons then sure, you can disable, or kill someone with that pen, BUT my point is, If you happen to be a traiend martial arts expert, then you wont need the pen, you can just use your hands. And what im also trying to say is that if you are so worried about being mugged or whatnot, you should not be bothered with the tiny advantage of having a biro, and just carry a switchblade or pepperspray around.They are far more effective and intimidating weapons than the plastic pen.

Because a pen would hurt more than just a fist and it is legal to carry, unlike a switchblade which could get you into heaps of legal trouble. Sure a well trained martial artist could take the attacker down, but they could do it more effectively with the pen, and when your life is on the line why would you defend yourself with less than what is available?

#268846 - 09/30/06 03:01 PM Re: Weapon you can carry for self-defence that's legal [Re: Darthmaul]
aikiuke Offline

Loc: Illinois
I know, I know... this is JUST a movie, but it's still interesting:
pen fight... bourne identity

#268847 - 10/05/06 06:07 AM Re: Weapon you can carry for self-defence that's l [Re: laf7773]
paco Offline

hi laf7773,
i honestly don't believe that, if u were to "swallow" a load of pepper spray that u would still be able to tear someone's head of. i do believe though, that it would probably not stop u from trying to attack that person but it would definetely handicap u and most likely give yr opponent enough time to disappear.

crabloard,

u said u train so u don't have to use a pen. why do u want to carry a switchblade for then? i'd rather like to have a pen than nothing (if i had to choose between a pen and a knife i sure as hell would go for the knife). that a pen can cause significant damage is denfinetely out of question and so is, that a knife is far more effective and impressive than a pen will ever be. but the pen has a couple of advantages over a knife. first it is legal. second as u said, yr opponent will probably laugh his butt off, which gives u the advantage of underestimation. and last but not least: with a pen u will at least be able to write the badass a cheqeue in the hope he will let u off the hook

Ed_morris,

i just love yr statement: "dots the eyes and crosses the tees" i really do!!!

Edited by paco (10/05/06 06:12 AM)

Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga