FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 9
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
VDJ 2
FrankyFruits 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#268748 - 07/02/06 11:21 PM Weapon you can carry for self-defence that's legal
Darthmaul Offline

Is there any weapon you can carry for self defence that is legal? Oh I live in NY, USA.

I was never was really into carrying a weapon, but one of my relatives was recently attacked with guys with bats (ok I know that's tough) leaving for work early in the morning, so it got me thinking I do travel on the trains late at times and come home late, maybe I should just have something.

I know I have seen a long stick that people put on there key chain. I know knives are pretty much illegal (but then I hear it depends on the size), mace and pepper spray also have diffrent rules too depending on where you live.

Well just wondering, thanks.

#268749 - 07/03/06 01:33 AM Re: Weapon you can carry for self-defence that's l [Re: Darthmaul]
Joe7987 Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
This may be a bit awkward, but the cane (yes the one old people use) can be a very effective weapon. My instructor's instructor once put on a demo in which he used a cane and it was simply amazing.

EDIT: Well isnt that ironic - after posting this I went to see what other threads there were in the forum, and one of the newer threads deals with cane defense. lol

#268750 - 07/03/06 05:49 AM Re: Weapon you can carry for self-defence that's l [Re: Darthmaul]
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
You'll need to check the laws of your particular country. What is legal in some places is illegal in others.

Perhaps a cane or umbrella would make a useful item to carry, for something to keep would be attackers at a distance or a metal pen if they get closer and you need something like a kubotan but a legal thing that anyone would carry.

I have read of some people carrying other tools such as pliers or screwdrivers as tools of their trade which could be used if necessary.

The best thing though is to not go looking for trouble. It can find you easily enough so why tempt fate?

#268751 - 07/03/06 07:08 AM Re: Weapon you can carry for self-defence that's l [Re: Darthmaul]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
two words: PEPPER SPRAY

Great for self defense, you spray it and run. I've never heard of anyone being charged for using pepper spray in a confrontation. The reason is simple- there is no way you can purposefully kill or assault someone with pepper spray, therefore there is no INTENT. Other weapons like knives, canes etc. can all be purposefully used to inflict disproportional damage, and can open you to charges if you are ont careful.

That is why I will always stand by good ol' pepper spray.

#268752 - 07/03/06 10:05 AM Re: Weapon you can carry for self-defence that's l [Re: Supremor]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
Pepper spray is legal in all 50 states but there are limitations on where it can be carried. While i do think it is one of the better self defense tools i don't agree that it can't be used as a tool for assault. Additionally don't think it's going to work on everyone every time.
http://www.milestonesafety.com/pepper-spray-information.html

As far as what weapon you can legally carry, i think there is a better question you should be asking but not here. Your question should be what does the law say about self defense and what am i legally allowed to do to defend myself. These kind of questions can't be answered to any real satisfaction here because the chances of you finding a member who is either in law enforcement or a lawyer in your particular area is slim. While you may get some good advise and useful opinions here they rarely apply to you and your location. I would suggest checking with your local law enforcement office for what is acceptable in your area. Your weapon of choice doesn't have to be a "weapon" by design. A ballpoint pen can be a weapon and can land you a bit of jail time if used maliciously when attacked. Knowing what you are legally allowed to do in a situation prior to finding your self there can mean the difference in saving your life and saving your life and going to prison.

Your best weapon is being able to recognize a potentially bad situation and having the common sense to do what you can to avoid it.

#268753 - 07/03/06 10:06 AM Re: Weapon you can carry for self-defence that's legal [Re: Darthmaul]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Kent, U.K.
The best one by far is a pen as it has many uses. Especially in self defence hitting vital points. I always carry one around with me not just for self defence purposes.
Also an umbrella in the rain lol. Stab people with the pointy end. Thats what you need in the highstreet when people get in the way.

#268754 - 07/03/06 10:21 PM Re: Weapon you can carry for self-defence that's legal [Re: Tezza]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
Who said anything about hitting "vital points"? Your sarcasm is noted, misplaced but noted. Maybe in your infinite wisdom and experience you have something productive to add to the discussion?

#268755 - 07/04/06 12:37 PM Re: Weapon you can carry for self-defence that's legal [Re: laf7773]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Kent, U.K.
I apologise laf7773 if I offended you.
I was only talking about it like that, because what if your attacker had a knife and all you had was the items in your pocket. Therefore as I carry a pen around I could use that only if neccesary.
Also its legal to carry a pen.
Sorry if I offended you, I didnt mean to cause harm

#268756 - 07/05/06 12:31 PM Re: Weapon you can carry for self-defence that's legal [Re: Tezza]
swseibukan Offline

Loc: Lakewood, Colorado
Been carrying pens and teaching their use for self defense for years. Cheap bic types work just fine, but will break after a bit. If you want you can spend a bit of money and get a nice titanium one (you can drive them through a board.)

Bottom line, like you said they are legal everywhere and non-threatening to boot.

Patience my ass Iím going to kill something

#268757 - 07/08/06 12:28 AM Re: Weapon you can carry for self-defence that's l [Re: swseibukan]
paradoxbox Offline
Enthusiast

I agree on the pen thing. I have a very expensive German made pen that is very heavy and I could easily stab someone quite deeply with the pointy end, or hit a pressure point with the other, as well as do minor grappling with it. Metal pens can be very very strong. There's a reason tessen were so popular with police in the 1800's in Japan!

Check your state laws. Another weapon that I carry is a hissatsu 'tactical' knife which is REALLY long and probably not legal to carry in New York. Nevertheless, check it out, because if you are able to carry it (concealed) that kind of weapon will end most confrontations very quickly. Very durable, thick metal, and meant for fast kills. Here's a pic..
http://images.military.com/pics/SoldierTech_Hissatsu4.jpg The blade is huge though and probably not legal to carry concealed.

If you can't have one of those, there are also jutte which are kind of like old fashioned police batons. Same purpose anyway, generally nonlethal, can be used for very hard grappling, striking and you can throw them at someone. If you are trained at throwing things like axes or shuriken you could probably throw one deep into someone through a few layers of clothing if the end is tapered/sharpened.

You should always have 2 weapons on your person, one nonlethal and one lethal. Use whichever one you think is most appropriate if the excrement hits the rotary.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga