FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
Victor Smith 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#268493 - 10/13/06 07:57 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Cord]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Actually I would be put into that beer swilling mass, Cord. Im a striker first and a grappler second. I dont like Royce because he cant box. i dont like tank because he cant grapple well. I like Randy Couture cause he can do it all. As can a lot of others out there. See, i dont discriminate.

#268494 - 10/13/06 08:57 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Cord]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Burnaby, BC, Canada
I think it's more an issue about him being physically gifted. People like to give themselves a sort of a pat on the back by saying Tank's a skilless slob, so they can through some strange leap of logic elevate themselves above him when it comes to fighting ability. They like to think they'll be faster than him and get the KO through "good form" or they'll just take him down and sub him. The former you've gotta be a striker the level of Paul Buentello, the latter you've gotta be a better grappler and overall fighter than Hugo Duarte, in other words a minimum of 5 years of training if you're training your ass off.

#268495 - 10/13/06 09:03 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: migo]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Only 5 Years? If that were the case, and I dont believe it to be, then the whole FA site would be full of world class fighters. Truthfully, I dont put myself above any fighter, though Im faithful in my abilities to go with any fighter out there. He just isnt a quality fighter to me and a 9 and 12 record supports that.

#268496 - 10/13/06 09:41 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Chen Zen]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Burnaby, BC, Canada
You do understand what the phrases "minimum of" and "training your ass off" mean, right?

Record numbers don't support anything, you have to look at who they fought and the circumstances around the fight. Recently he has losses to Frank Mir (former UFC Hwt Champ), Paul Buentello (forme UFC Hwt #1 contender), Cabbage (cut stoppage, which he avenged) and Yoshida (olympic Judo gold medalist). You stick anyone in with those guys and unless they're cream of the crop they're going to have more losses than wins. For all intents and purposes, his loss to Ferrozo is BS, as Ferrozo had to go to the hospital right after the fight and Tank was uninjured. Carlos Newton has a 13-10 record, Kiyoshi Tamura 13-9, Enson Inoue 11-8, Aaron Brink is 18-17, they're all winning records, but not by much, a couple losses in a row (like Alex Steibling and Jens Pulver have suffered) and they'd have the same ratio as Tank.

#268497 - 10/14/06 08:06 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Cord]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

Using a fast controlled negative to engage stretch reflex on a maximal bench attempt is a common technique- he is trying to generate power, not 'feel the burn'. If the full 500 was dropping on his chest, he would be squashed like a bug, strong ribcage or not.

Not the way I would do negative bench press. I lower the weight down under control and taking my time and then a training partner assists me in lifting it back up. Power is strength times speed.I suppose moving a big weight fast could be termed as power. Therefore speed of limbs and basic strength is critical in power moves.
Quote:

I agree that Tank as a fighter is under rated. He has often said in interviews that the only problem with his 'image' is that people forget that he trains damn hard and is not just some clueless brawler.

Agreed

Quote:

The fact that he gets beaten by the cream of todays generation means squat. So does Royce (without putting up as much of a fight). They both lack balance. Tank is all striking, with weak grappling, Royce all ground with the stand up game of a 5 year old in a playground. One is criticised as shallow and one dimensional. The other is hailed as the father of modern MMA.

I think
Any body in the fight game including people like Ali had their down side that was exploited by others. Some changed it some didnt

I like Tanks personality and the fact he can figth like he can. I do think people use his physique wrongly in discussions about him. I see the man for what he has. GUTS and fighting ability and he wants to do it. So ok he loses and it might be said he is lacking in certain things? Hasnt everybody? To me that doesnt change the traits he has.
Naaa David Tank Abbot if you are reading this you are one great fighter.

Edited by ANDY44 (10/14/06 08:27 AM)

#268498 - 10/14/06 08:12 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: ANDY44]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Quote:

Using a fast controlled negative to engage stretch reflex on a maximal bench attempt is a common technique- he is trying to generate power, not 'feel the burn'. If the full 500 was dropping on his chest, he would be squashed like a bug, strong ribcage or not.

Not the way I would do negative bench press. I lower the weight down under control and taking my time and then a training partner assists me in lifting it back up.

What you are referring to is a negative rep. What I was talking about is a technique common to max lifts where the negative is done quickly, but still controlled, this triggers the 'stretch reflex' mechanism which creates a stronger concentric contraction. Negatives and this technique are completely different animals. Both valid when used correctly. Within this context, Tank's bench technique was not too bad at all.

Edited by Cord (10/14/06 08:13 AM)

#268499 - 10/14/06 08:33 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Cord]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not the way I would do negative bench press. I lower the weight down under control and taking my time and then a training partner assists me in lifting it back up.

What you are referring to is a negative rep. What I was talking about is a technique common to max lifts where the negative is done quickly, but still controlled, this triggers the 'stretch reflex' mechanism which creates a stronger concentric contraction. Negatives and this technique are completely different animals. Both valid when used correctly. Within this context, Tank's bench technique was not too bad at all.

The way Tank benched on the vidio is to open to getting injured for me. I like my rotator cuffs as they are. Use able But his choice. I still think he is a great fighter.

And it was a good weight.But not my style of lifting on the bench.

#268500 - 10/14/06 08:38 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: ANDY44]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Maybe some folks around here are forgetting that Tank is about 40 now. It's hard to continue at that level and do so with great success as you get into your forties.

Tank is what he is; a person who just wanted to get in there and brawl. He didn't MIND that he was limited or one diminsional (although he did have some basic wrestling skill). In fact, he was PROUD of the fact that he wasn't trying to be all scientific regarding his training (saying once that he basically just got off a barstool to accept a fight).

Give the man his props. He was exceedinly dangerous as a fighter and I'm sure he probably still is for most of the martial arts population.

-John

#268501 - 10/14/06 09:04 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: JKogas]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

Maybe some folks around here are forgetting that Tank is about 40 now. It's hard to continue at that level and do so with great success as you get into your forties.

Tank is what he is; a person who just wanted to get in there and brawl. He didn't MIND that he was limited or one diminsional (although he did have some basic wrestling skill). In fact, he was PROUD of the fact that he wasn't trying to be all scientific regarding his training (saying once that he basically just got off a barstool to accept a fight).

Give the man his props. He was exceedinly dangerous as a fighter and I'm sure he probably still is for most of the martial arts population.

-John

Agreed

#268502 - 10/14/06 12:18 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: ANDY44]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

To the TMA population anyway. Barfighter is what I been screaming the whole time. I dont hate the guy, I just think theres a lot better out there. Must be as Tank didnt last long. As for age thats a copout too. Im sure he isnt the only 40 year old fighter. Randy was close or older maybe when he retired. Chuck Lidell has to be getting up there too. Frank Shamrock(Puke) had to be older than that as well.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga