FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
ergees 2
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35583 Topics
432511 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#268453 - 07/01/06 07:20 PM Tank Abbot
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
What has Tank Abbot been up to recently, is he going to be fighting in the Octagon again, and what do you all think of him as a fighter and as a person?
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#268454 - 07/01/06 07:46 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Stormdragon]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
David "Tank" Abbott hasn't fought since 8/28/2005 in Pride when he lost to a submission choke to Hidehiko Yoshida. I honestly can't say what he is up to now but this is almost a year since he's fought which could mean many things.

I have never been overly fond of Tank but a 9-11-0 record tells me that he was never really a top contendor but more a 50/50 fighter. If I remember correctly, some of the fights he took at the last moment to fill in and probably did it for the money. He's got little fear to fight anybody and he's one tough SOB, but I think he's seen better days and I don't think we will see too much of him in the future unless the UFC makes an "Ultimate Fighter 5: The Old Timers" ... and then Ken Shamrock can also be on the show.

#268455 - 07/01/06 07:55 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Dereck]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Yeah, I think he was never really a skilled or technical fighter, just a bruiser who threw some bombs in flurrues, which was fine in the old days when a guy could win with aggression, violence, and intensity alone and plain old brute force, but now days fighters are of a much higher caliber whichc Abbot just can't seem to contend with, but yeah he is a tough guy. I know I sure as heck wouldn't want to fight him. One shot and it's lights out.

Edited by Stormdragon (07/01/06 07:55 PM)
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#268456 - 07/01/06 08:19 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Stormdragon]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
tank Abbott was fighting tonight in london at the UK's premier MMA event 'Cage Rage'. It is billed as a UK v US event this card, with 'Team Tank' Taking on the best of the UK's MMAists.
I have not found out who won what, but the guy Tank is fighting has been promised a UFC slot if he wins.

#268457 - 07/01/06 08:34 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Cord]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

I hate to say it, but Tank probably lost.

#268458 - 07/01/06 08:51 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Stormdragon]
Cord Offline
Prolific

No results for the event posted yet, but Abbott's fight did not happen due to his oponent (a guy called Kiane) tearing his abs in training. Ian Freeman came out of retirement to fight Melvin Manhoff as the top of the bill fight instead- no results posted on line as yet.
i read an interview with this Kiane bloke, and to be honest he seems a bit of a knob. He is quoted in Martial arts Illustrated as saying 'I have so much natural talent- I pick things up so easily, it only took me 3 weeks to learn Muay Thai'
He only has one fight's experience, back in 1999. From all I have seen and read about him, when this fight does go ahead, I am hopefull that Tank will tear him a new one

#268459 - 07/01/06 09:35 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Stormdragon]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Tank the fighter - Brutally powerful striker. Limited grappling skills. Extremely tough but questionable endurance.

Tank the person - Hard to say, but anecdotal evidence suggests less than golden scruples.

Tank the commodity - Very entertaining, always willing to give an opinion. I remember being awed by his 600+ lb bench press. I still LOL @ Tank calling Don "the Predator" Frye a "Freddie Mercury look-a-like."

Good for getting interest in the sport, but not exactly the kind of representation I would want for MMA.

#268460 - 07/02/06 07:08 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: MattJ]
Cord Offline
Prolific

i agree with you Matt, but I also have to confess to being a major hypocrite on this, because Tank was always, and will always be my favourite MMA fighter. He is one of 3 fighters who I have an 'emotional investment' in when they fight (the other 2 being couture and Griffin). most anyone else, I just want to see a good fight- these three I root for.
Tank and the 'old' UFC were clever in Marketing Abbott as a no nonsense brawler, fresh from a stool in a biker's bar, and ready to lay the reality smack down on the dedly Krotty masters.
Sort of a JKogas with a drink problem

The public's (and my) imagination were captured, as this big lump of left hook unleashed some of the best KO's you could ever hope to see. He fought how the audience liked to imagine they would fight in the Octagon. The fact that he was wrestling trained in Highschool, trained boxing and benched 500lbs+ did not diminish his 'everyman' status with the fans.

Like Royce, and Shamrock, he has felt the painfull result of MMA's evolution, but I dont think there is any 'old timer' that still ingenders the same enthusiasm and excitement when he announces a return to the cage.

I like him so much i grew the beard

#268461 - 07/26/06 04:03 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Cord]
cauliflowerears Offline

Quote:

i agree with you Matt, but I also have to confess to being a major hypocrite on this, because Tank was always, and will always be my favourite MMA fighter. He is one of 3 fighters who I have an 'emotional investment' in when they fight (the other 2 being couture and Griffin). most anyone else, I just want to see a good fight- these three I root for.
Tank and the 'old' UFC were clever in Marketing Abbott as a no nonsense brawler, fresh from a stool in a biker's bar, and ready to lay the reality smack down on the dedly Krotty masters.
Sort of a JKogas with a drink problem

The public's (and my) imagination were captured, as this big lump of left hook unleashed some of the best KO's you could ever hope to see. He fought how the audience liked to imagine they would fight in the Octagon. The fact that he was wrestling trained in Highschool, trained boxing and benched 500lbs+ did not diminish his 'everyman' status with the fans.

Like Royce, and Shamrock, he has felt the painfull result of MMA's evolution, but I dont think there is any 'old timer' that still ingenders the same enthusiasm and excitement when he announces a return to the cage.

I like him so much i grew the beard

Too funny man. I couldn't agree more.

#268462 - 07/26/06 07:35 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Dereck]
spoonhammer Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs
Quote:

David "Tank" Abbott hasn't fought since 8/28/2005 in Pride when he lost to a submission choke to Hidehiko Yoshida. I honestly can't say what he is up to now but this is almost a year since he's fought which could mean many things.

He knocked out Cabbage at Rage on the Rocks a few months ago. And I mean KTFO, dude was twitching on the ground.

#268463 - 07/26/06 10:18 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: spoonhammer]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Cabbage who and how good is he? And is Tank getting active in the ring again?

#268464 - 07/27/06 06:59 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Stormdragon]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Cabbage Corriera haf fought a lot of UFC fights, he is known for being almost impossible to put away- he has a chin like concrete. Tim Sylvia used his head like a heavy bag when they fought but He just wouldnt drop, the ref had to jump in to save his body from his willpower.
He has fast powerful hands, and beat Tank in their match at UFC that ended very acrimoniously, nearly carrying on as a regular fist fight after the fight was stopped. He has a lot of fans as his ability to take and give explosive shots makes him an exciting prospect for spectators.

Tank was all lined up to fight in the UK at the latest Cage Rage last month, but his oponent pulled out with an injury requiring surgery.

#268465 - 10/06/06 04:27 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Cord]
silvershamrock Offline

Loc: Plymouth Area, Mass., USA
Tank is definately one of the most exciting and fun people to watch fight. (Unless he's lying on the ground getting choked out ) I belive he's the only guy to try to throw another guy over the Octagon. His knockouts are especially vicious and devastating. But the best thing about Tank is his attitude. He just doesn't respect anyone and just play loves to fight. When asked after a loss what he planned on doing he something like I'm going out, having a few beers and get in a few more fights. It's the badass that made him a fan favorite. It's the losses by submissions that sucked.

#268466 - 10/06/06 04:58 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: silvershamrock]
ashe_higgs Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: phoenix
Quote:

Tank is definately one of the most exciting and fun people to watch fight. (Unless he's lying on the ground getting choked out ) I belive he's the only guy to try to throw another guy over the Octagon. His knockouts are especially vicious and devastating. But the best thing about Tank is his attitude. He just doesn't respect anyone and just play loves to fight. When asked after a loss what he planned on doing he something like I'm going out, having a few beers and get in a few more fights. It's the badass that made him a fan favorite. It's the losses by submissions that sucked.

that's exactly what makes tank so NOT fun to watch.

#268467 - 10/09/06 05:53 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: ashe_higgs]
Tom2199 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: England
cabbage is a tough mofo and a good thai boxer to,
as far as tank i never really got to see him fight alot unless it was him getting knocked out by vitor belfort

i never really liked the whole macho thing but he defenatly got alot of things right.
he just loves to fight and sometimes you just gotta say **** you to everyone else and do your thing

#268468 - 10/09/06 06:03 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Stormdragon]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA

"Tank" is a perfect example/lesson for anyones training.

Makes 2 points REALLY well.

1-Just how dangerous a large, strong, highly aggressive guy can be, even to OTHER large, strong, highly aggressive people.

2-Better training counts big.

#268469 - 10/09/06 09:37 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: cxt]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

One a funny note.

My one student at my home dojo looks very much like tank without the belly. He has tats and shows up at the house on his Harley...

He is the building engineer at our church and as nice a guy as you could ever find.

#268470 - 10/09/06 10:17 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Stormdragon]
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

I heard that fighting tournaments were the only contests he ever won that didn't include eating pie.

#268471 - 10/09/06 10:34 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: pepto_bismol]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
I never jumped on the tank bandwagon. I dont like him. He's a sloppy overweight guy with minimal hand skills. If the fight lasts longer than the second round he loses every time.

#268472 - 10/09/06 11:38 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Chen Zen]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Tank has never been in a second round. Check your facts.

#268473 - 10/09/06 11:40 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: MattJ]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

I still LOL @ Tank calling Don "the Predator" Frye a "Freddie Mercury look-a-like."

I thought it was after losing to Dan Severn that he said he was having nightmares of being raped by Freddy Mercury.

#268474 - 10/10/06 01:33 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: migo]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Whatever. It doesnt change the fact that the guys an out of shape slob. You can see a hundred guys just like him at any biker bar in town.

#268475 - 10/10/06 06:00 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Chen Zen]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

He's stronger than most people who are in shape.

#268476 - 10/10/06 11:27 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: migo]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Strength means nothin to skill. As one of the people constantly spouting off about grappling I would have though you knew that.

#268477 - 10/11/06 12:25 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Chen Zen]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

Generally strength is one of the qualities of being in shape. He's awfully strong for a guy who's out of shape, and would easily knock out most people who criticise his skill.

#268478 - 10/11/06 12:31 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: migo]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Not if they had any skill. And dont confuse strength with weight and momentum. Huge difference.

#268479 - 10/11/06 05:09 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Chen Zen]
Tom2199 Offline
Enthusiast

nah tank is in shape, hes just not a 100% lean and perfected his boxing skills like some.

if you see cabbage he has a similar build and is a former thai boxing champ also look at K1 or mark hunt (i must say i seen hunt gassed a few times though in pride
)

#268480 - 10/11/06 06:41 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Chen Zen]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

600lb benchpress is obviously just weight and momentum... right. As is knocking Don Frye on his ass with a jab. Tank's by no means a contender these days, but he is strong, he hits hard, and he has skills. He was taking out most people in the early days and only losing to the champs of the time. Oleg (UFC 6 champ), Severn (UFC 5 champ, 2nd Hwt Champ), Belfort (still a contender nowadays), Smith (4th Hwt Champ), Rizzo (title contender). His only loss to someone who wasn't top was Ferrozo, and he couldn't continue after "winning" due to injuries. Who wouldn't have losses to those guys?

#268481 - 10/11/06 10:35 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: migo]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Personally I think the guys a one punch wonder. As for 600 lbs bench id have to see that. I think the reason he isnt a contender now and people like Vitor are is because the level of skill has gone up since the begining. you dont see all the WC or karateka you did when UFC first started and I think that plays a big difference.

#268482 - 10/11/06 10:44 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Chen Zen]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

He's more than a one punch wonder, he was one of the first guys to have both striking and grappling skills. He was good enough to avoid getting armbarred by Hugo Duarte and has KOed Correira which Andrei Arlovski and Tim Sylvia both couldn't do. He hasn't evolved with the rest of the MMA world, yes, but 94-95 he was one of the better fighters. You don't sit at that level by being a completely one dimensional, out of shape fighter.

#268483 - 10/12/06 01:42 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: migo]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Who knows. Maybe your right. I havent seen every one of his fights. The only time I ever saw him grapple he was on the losing end of it. And the ones i saw him win were often against unheard of fighters, but like I said I havent seen them all i can only give an opinion on what I have.

#268484 - 10/12/06 03:00 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Chen Zen]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Quote:

As for 600 lbs bench id have to see that.

Here is David "Tank" Abbott benching 600 lbs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irx9OqeXymQ

I'm not a huge fan of this guy. He has a 9-12-0 record and doesn't rank high up there but I wouldn't want to mess with him. And I will give him credit as when he gets the call to fight, even on short notice, the guy shows up ... and that makes him a fan favorite.

#268485 - 10/12/06 04:59 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Chen Zen]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

Whatever. It doesnt change the fact that the guys an out of shape slob. You can see a hundred guys just like him at any biker bar in town.

Tank abbot is out of shape? compared to who? and he can fight.

Edited by ANDY44 (10/12/06 05:01 AM)

#268486 - 10/12/06 05:05 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Dereck]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

Quote:

As for 600 lbs bench id have to see that.

Here is David "Tank" Abbott benching 600 lbs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irx9OqeXymQ

I'm not a huge fan of this guy. He has a 9-12-0 record and doesn't rank high up there but I wouldn't want to mess with him. And I will give him credit as when he gets the call to fight, even on short notice, the guy shows up ... and that makes him a fan favorite.

Good weigth but that wasnt a bench that was a bounce off the chest. He must have a strong rib cage.
I like Tank Abbot.I think he he is a good fighter regardless if he wins or loses.

#268487 - 10/12/06 10:45 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: ANDY44]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Regardless of the bounce itss still impressive. So, Ill give him strong. But still not what I call a quality fighter.

#268488 - 10/12/06 11:23 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Chen Zen]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

Grappling would be the go to way to beat Tank, as he doesn't have any sophisticated skills, mainly just positioning and brute force submissions. He can knock anyone out, so standing in front of him isn't a particularly good idea. Depends on what you count as "quality", it's one of those meaningless words in this context.

#268489 - 10/12/06 11:29 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: migo]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Mainly what I call quality is a fighter who can affectively manuevere with positive results in all ranges of combat. he definately has a heavy hand. But that doesnt mean much on your back. Thats why I dont hold him in high regard

#268490 - 10/13/06 01:40 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: ANDY44]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Using a fast controlled negative to engage stretch reflex on a maximal bench attempt is a common technique- he is trying to generate power, not 'feel the burn'. If the full 500 was dropping on his chest, he would be squashed like a bug, strong ribcage or not.
I agree that Tank as a fighter is under rated. He has often said in interviews that the only problem with his 'image' is that people forget that he trains damn hard and is not just some clueless brawler.
The fact that he gets beaten by the cream of todays generation means squat. So does Royce (without putting up as much of a fight). They both lack balance. Tank is all striking, with weak grappling, Royce all ground with the stand up game of a 5 year old in a playground. One is criticised as shallow and one dimensional. The other is hailed as the father of modern MMA. Go figure

#268491 - 10/13/06 02:08 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Cord]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

If it helps Im not a big Royce fan either.

#268492 - 10/13/06 02:30 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Chen Zen]
Cord Offline
Prolific

i am not having a go at you Chen, i just think its an interesting point that their is still this huge bias in the minds of many regarding MMA that the combo of strong grappling/weak striking is forgiveable, whilst hard striking/weak grappling is somehow shamefull.

Those who talk in awed tones about those who have to take it to the ground to stand a chance are seen as officianado's of the game, whilst those who worship at the temple of the big KO are seen as the beer swilling masses.
Its elitism that affects both fighters and fans.

I just think that you either appreciate a fighters strengths for what they are, or you criticise weaknesses equally, or do both.

Its abit off topic, but Tank's style brings these discriminations under the spotlight.

#268493 - 10/13/06 07:57 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Cord]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Actually I would be put into that beer swilling mass, Cord. Im a striker first and a grappler second. I dont like Royce because he cant box. i dont like tank because he cant grapple well. I like Randy Couture cause he can do it all. As can a lot of others out there. See, i dont discriminate.

#268494 - 10/13/06 08:57 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Cord]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

I think it's more an issue about him being physically gifted. People like to give themselves a sort of a pat on the back by saying Tank's a skilless slob, so they can through some strange leap of logic elevate themselves above him when it comes to fighting ability. They like to think they'll be faster than him and get the KO through "good form" or they'll just take him down and sub him. The former you've gotta be a striker the level of Paul Buentello, the latter you've gotta be a better grappler and overall fighter than Hugo Duarte, in other words a minimum of 5 years of training if you're training your ass off.

#268495 - 10/13/06 09:03 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: migo]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Only 5 Years? If that were the case, and I dont believe it to be, then the whole FA site would be full of world class fighters. Truthfully, I dont put myself above any fighter, though Im faithful in my abilities to go with any fighter out there. He just isnt a quality fighter to me and a 9 and 12 record supports that.

#268496 - 10/13/06 09:41 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Chen Zen]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

You do understand what the phrases "minimum of" and "training your ass off" mean, right?

Record numbers don't support anything, you have to look at who they fought and the circumstances around the fight. Recently he has losses to Frank Mir (former UFC Hwt Champ), Paul Buentello (forme UFC Hwt #1 contender), Cabbage (cut stoppage, which he avenged) and Yoshida (olympic Judo gold medalist). You stick anyone in with those guys and unless they're cream of the crop they're going to have more losses than wins. For all intents and purposes, his loss to Ferrozo is BS, as Ferrozo had to go to the hospital right after the fight and Tank was uninjured. Carlos Newton has a 13-10 record, Kiyoshi Tamura 13-9, Enson Inoue 11-8, Aaron Brink is 18-17, they're all winning records, but not by much, a couple losses in a row (like Alex Steibling and Jens Pulver have suffered) and they'd have the same ratio as Tank.

#268497 - 10/14/06 08:06 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Cord]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

Using a fast controlled negative to engage stretch reflex on a maximal bench attempt is a common technique- he is trying to generate power, not 'feel the burn'. If the full 500 was dropping on his chest, he would be squashed like a bug, strong ribcage or not.

Not the way I would do negative bench press. I lower the weight down under control and taking my time and then a training partner assists me in lifting it back up. Power is strength times speed.I suppose moving a big weight fast could be termed as power. Therefore speed of limbs and basic strength is critical in power moves.
Quote:

I agree that Tank as a fighter is under rated. He has often said in interviews that the only problem with his 'image' is that people forget that he trains damn hard and is not just some clueless brawler.

Agreed

Quote:

The fact that he gets beaten by the cream of todays generation means squat. So does Royce (without putting up as much of a fight). They both lack balance. Tank is all striking, with weak grappling, Royce all ground with the stand up game of a 5 year old in a playground. One is criticised as shallow and one dimensional. The other is hailed as the father of modern MMA.

I think
Any body in the fight game including people like Ali had their down side that was exploited by others. Some changed it some didnt

I like Tanks personality and the fact he can figth like he can. I do think people use his physique wrongly in discussions about him. I see the man for what he has. GUTS and fighting ability and he wants to do it. So ok he loses and it might be said he is lacking in certain things? Hasnt everybody? To me that doesnt change the traits he has.
Naaa David Tank Abbot if you are reading this you are one great fighter.

Edited by ANDY44 (10/14/06 08:27 AM)

#268498 - 10/14/06 08:12 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: ANDY44]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Quote:

Not the way I would do negative bench press. I lower the weight down under control and taking my time and then a training partner assists me in lifting it back up.

What you are referring to is a negative rep. What I was talking about is a technique common to max lifts where the negative is done quickly, but still controlled, this triggers the 'stretch reflex' mechanism which creates a stronger concentric contraction. Negatives and this technique are completely different animals. Both valid when used correctly. Within this context, Tank's bench technique was not too bad at all.

Edited by Cord (10/14/06 08:13 AM)

#268499 - 10/14/06 08:33 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Cord]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not the way I would do negative bench press. I lower the weight down under control and taking my time and then a training partner assists me in lifting it back up.

What you are referring to is a negative rep. What I was talking about is a technique common to max lifts where the negative is done quickly, but still controlled, this triggers the 'stretch reflex' mechanism which creates a stronger concentric contraction. Negatives and this technique are completely different animals. Both valid when used correctly. Within this context, Tank's bench technique was not too bad at all.

The way Tank benched on the vidio is to open to getting injured for me. I like my rotator cuffs as they are. Use able But his choice. I still think he is a great fighter.

And it was a good weight.But not my style of lifting on the bench.

#268500 - 10/14/06 08:38 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: ANDY44]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Maybe some folks around here are forgetting that Tank is about 40 now. It's hard to continue at that level and do so with great success as you get into your forties.

Tank is what he is; a person who just wanted to get in there and brawl. He didn't MIND that he was limited or one diminsional (although he did have some basic wrestling skill). In fact, he was PROUD of the fact that he wasn't trying to be all scientific regarding his training (saying once that he basically just got off a barstool to accept a fight).

Give the man his props. He was exceedinly dangerous as a fighter and I'm sure he probably still is for most of the martial arts population.

-John

#268501 - 10/14/06 09:04 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: JKogas]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

Maybe some folks around here are forgetting that Tank is about 40 now. It's hard to continue at that level and do so with great success as you get into your forties.

Tank is what he is; a person who just wanted to get in there and brawl. He didn't MIND that he was limited or one diminsional (although he did have some basic wrestling skill). In fact, he was PROUD of the fact that he wasn't trying to be all scientific regarding his training (saying once that he basically just got off a barstool to accept a fight).

Give the man his props. He was exceedinly dangerous as a fighter and I'm sure he probably still is for most of the martial arts population.

-John

Agreed

#268502 - 10/14/06 12:18 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: ANDY44]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

To the TMA population anyway. Barfighter is what I been screaming the whole time. I dont hate the guy, I just think theres a lot better out there. Must be as Tank didnt last long. As for age thats a copout too. Im sure he isnt the only 40 year old fighter. Randy was close or older maybe when he retired. Chuck Lidell has to be getting up there too. Frank Shamrock(Puke) had to be older than that as well.

#268503 - 10/14/06 03:08 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Chen Zen]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Randy peaked before his 40's even though he continued to fight until he was 42. He didn't do as well.

Chuck Liddell is 36. He is perhaps at his peak.

Frank Shamrock is probably around 30 or 31 now. He doesn't really fight any more though.

KEN Shamrock is 41 or 42. He was at his peak when he was 29. He hasn't done as well since then.

So I'm not picking on 40 year old guys. Honestly though, you're not really on the uphill track to prowess when you've reached that age.

-John

#268504 - 10/14/06 09:40 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: JKogas]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

I knew I was going to say the name of the wrong damned shamrock. As for Randy in particular, How old was he when he got the heavyweight belt from liddell? When he defended it successfully from Tito? He had to be 39 or 40 because it wasnt long after that he lost to liddell and retired. Even with him not doing "as good" he is still a considerable force to reckon with. Although I do agree that most people arent going up from there.

#268505 - 10/15/06 11:48 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Chen Zen]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

Randy never got the Heavyweight belt from Liddell, he got it from Smith the first time and Rizzo the second time. He fought Liddell for the Interim LHW title at UFC 43 with the expectation that Liddell would win and Tito would be forced to defend the LHW title against Liddell. Randy was 40 at the time. He beat Tito, went 1-1 with Belfort and then lost the Rematch to Liddell.

#268506 - 10/16/06 01:00 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: migo]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Well regardless my argument was that he was still effective at forty. And so he was.

#268507 - 10/16/06 01:39 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Chen Zen]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

He's the exception. Nobody else has been able to reach that level at that age.

#268508 - 10/16/06 11:19 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: migo]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Ah, but just because no one else has doesnt mean that no one else will.

#268509 - 10/16/06 08:30 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Chen Zen]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

You're getting off track here. The point was that Tank is getting old and that will affect his performance.

#268510 - 10/16/06 11:48 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: migo]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

I dont think its primarily getting old. I think its getting old and toting that enormous gut and weight around. It would tire out anyone.

#268511 - 10/18/06 04:50 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Chen Zen]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

Nobody claimed he had good cardio, neither do Vitor Belfort or Evangelista Santos.

#268512 - 10/18/06 04:53 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: migo]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Quote:

He's the exception. Nobody else has been able to reach that level at that age.

Eh? Didn't Mark Coleman win a big tourney when he was 40? I do get your point that 40 for anyone is pushing it.

#268513 - 10/19/06 07:54 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: MattJ]
Tom2199 Offline
Enthusiast

whos mark coleman fighting next? hes making a shamrock comeback!

#268514 - 10/19/06 10:26 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: MattJ]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

He was 36. His first match was against Masaki Sataake, who is a huge can in MMA. Anyone who can get him down can beat him. Second match was Akira Shoji, which isn't an unimpressive win for someone in the same weight category. Third match was with Kazuyuki Fujita, who was injured fighting Mark Kerr and his corner threw in the towel at 2 seconds, so no fight there. For his final match he fought Igor Vovchanchyn who had just done 15 minutes with Kazushi Sakuraba. Beating Igor is impressive, but Coleman had ideal circumstances going into that match and Igor didn't, so that was a balance for the age factor.

Coleman is having a rematch with Fedor (most likely). There's still not 100% confirmation that he'll be fighting.

Edited by migo (10/19/06 10:36 PM)

#268515 - 10/20/06 06:48 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: migo]
Tom2199 Offline
Enthusiast

i saw him on the fightcard for the next pride i think? oh coleman how will he do, hes an angry angry man lol

#268516 - 10/20/06 06:59 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Tom2199]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Coleman will get slaughtered. He's another relic from the by-gone era, a man about as one diminsional as you can get. He's good at what he does, but gone are the days where he just dominates everyone. People have much better takedown defense these days.

-John

#268517 - 10/20/06 07:55 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: migo]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

#268518 - 10/20/06 04:03 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Tom2199]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

i saw him on the fightcard for the next pride i think? oh coleman how will he do, hes an angry angry man lol

Coleman, Randleman, Barnett, Hunt, O'Haire and Eastman were all shaky. Hunt and Eastman are already out, O'Haire is most likely going to be replaced by Gardner (O'Haire was initally replacing Hunt). Barnett is still in. Coleman and Randleman are still up in the air.

#268519 - 10/21/06 11:11 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: migo]
Tom2199 Offline
Enthusiast

i heard they were putting vernon tiger white in again with someone- should be crap, this might have been on another event though one rampage was headlining.

#268520 - 10/21/06 02:50 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: MattJ]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Dont feel bad Matt. He never replies to the posts that prove him wrong, he just waits for someone else to post instead.

#268521 - 10/22/06 01:26 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Tom2199]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

i heard they were putting vernon tiger white in again with someone- should be crap, this might have been on another event though one rampage was headlining.

This was EFC2, White was supposed to have a rubber match with Eastman, Eastman's hand was broken and he wasn't cleared to fight. Victor Valimaki stepped in to replace Eastman and got a solid UJD (30-27 from all 3) over White.

#268522 - 10/22/06 12:57 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: migo]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Victor Valimaki stepped in to replace Eastman and got a solid UJD (30-27 from all 3) over White.

Victor also trains at Arashi-do in Edmonton and is one of my Instructor's training partners. I've had the opportunity of meeting him twice, once at a grappling tournament and once at the George St. Pierre seminar where Victor was George's demonstration partner. Victor is a nice guy but he is all business in the ring and my Instructor says that Victor is at the top of his game and it is like he just went to the next level. Victor was a personal trainer but has recently quit his job to train full time now. Now that Mark Pavelich has got his foot in the door at the UFC with Jason "The Athlete" MacDonald, look for Victor to soon be seen there as well.

Victor's Stats: http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?FighterID=4391

#268523 - 10/22/06 03:49 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Dereck]
Tom2199 Offline
Enthusiast

so many of these mma'ers are 90kg+ how do they get up so high, weights? or does bone build have more to do with it.

#268524 - 10/22/06 06:16 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Tom2199]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

I would say the majority of these guys lift weights to increase strength, size and endurance ... it is just the way of the world and the best way to get an edge. As I recall, Victor weighed even more when he fought and beat Dan "The Beast" Severn a year or so ago that I went to see. Victor has to cut weight to get into this range.

90 Kilograms is only 198 lbs and at 5'8.5" for myself, I weight 195 lbs. I don't consider this to be a large amount of weight at all. I also have to continually keep at my weight otherwise I lose it too easily.

#268525 - 10/23/06 02:37 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Dereck]
Tom2199 Offline
Enthusiast

i used to weigh over 90 before i started MA but have cut down to 80 purley in fat aswell as having massive muscle gains.

my plans to work my way slowly up to 86 in thailand in december with weights and hopfully will be under 15% body fat.

#268526 - 10/23/06 05:52 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Dereck]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Im 2oo to 215 depending but usually around 205. I have to work to keep this weight and at 6 1.5 ft this isnt a lot of mass. I dont think anyways. Before I statred training with weights i was fighting at 165.

#268527 - 10/23/06 06:03 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Chen Zen]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

165 lbs, this was around my weight prior to weight lifting as well.

#268528 - 10/24/06 10:06 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Dereck]
Tom2199 Offline
Enthusiast

cool you get massive strength gains off weights i think they should be in any program really and bag work to even it all out.

my height is 6"1 so i guess you could call me slender but my shoulders are naturally wide

#268529 - 10/30/06 11:37 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Tom2199]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Regarding Tank Abbot, at UFC 45 a poll was done to see who the top 10 most popular fighters were of all time and this was the list:

* David "Tank" Abbott
* Mark Coleman
* Randy Couture
* Don Frye
* Royce Gracie
* Pat Miletich
* Marco Ruas
* Dan Severn
* Ken Shamrock
* Oleg Taktarov

So it looks like the general public loves Tank.

#268530 - 10/31/06 12:39 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Dereck]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

Pat Miletich doesn't look like he belongs in that list. That's odd considering he was nicknamed the Croatian Sedation for a while.

#268531 - 11/19/06 03:03 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Dereck]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Victor also trains at Arashi-do in Edmonton and is one of my Instructor's training partners. I've had the opportunity of meeting him twice, once at a grappling tournament and once at the George St. Pierre seminar where Victor was George's demonstration partner. Victor is a nice guy but he is all business in the ring and my Instructor says that Victor is at the top of his game and it is like he just went to the next level. Victor was a personal trainer but has recently quit his job to train full time now. Now that Mark Pavelich has got his foot in the door at the UFC with Jason "The Athlete" MacDonald, look for Victor to soon be seen there as well.

And with that said, watch for him on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 on UFC's Ultimate Fight Night on Spike where he will be making his debut. Congrads to him as it is well deserved and long in coming.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga