FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
GojuRyuboy13 1
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#268453 - 07/01/06 07:20 PM Tank Abbot
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
What has Tank Abbot been up to recently, is he going to be fighting in the Octagon again, and what do you all think of him as a fighter and as a person?
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#268454 - 07/01/06 07:46 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Stormdragon]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
David "Tank" Abbott hasn't fought since 8/28/2005 in Pride when he lost to a submission choke to Hidehiko Yoshida. I honestly can't say what he is up to now but this is almost a year since he's fought which could mean many things.

I have never been overly fond of Tank but a 9-11-0 record tells me that he was never really a top contendor but more a 50/50 fighter. If I remember correctly, some of the fights he took at the last moment to fill in and probably did it for the money. He's got little fear to fight anybody and he's one tough SOB, but I think he's seen better days and I don't think we will see too much of him in the future unless the UFC makes an "Ultimate Fighter 5: The Old Timers" ... and then Ken Shamrock can also be on the show.

#268455 - 07/01/06 07:55 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Dereck]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Yeah, I think he was never really a skilled or technical fighter, just a bruiser who threw some bombs in flurrues, which was fine in the old days when a guy could win with aggression, violence, and intensity alone and plain old brute force, but now days fighters are of a much higher caliber whichc Abbot just can't seem to contend with, but yeah he is a tough guy. I know I sure as heck wouldn't want to fight him. One shot and it's lights out.

Edited by Stormdragon (07/01/06 07:55 PM)
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#268456 - 07/01/06 08:19 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Stormdragon]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
tank Abbott was fighting tonight in london at the UK's premier MMA event 'Cage Rage'. It is billed as a UK v US event this card, with 'Team Tank' Taking on the best of the UK's MMAists.
I have not found out who won what, but the guy Tank is fighting has been promised a UFC slot if he wins.

#268457 - 07/01/06 08:34 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Cord]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

I hate to say it, but Tank probably lost.

#268458 - 07/01/06 08:51 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Stormdragon]
Cord Offline
Prolific

No results for the event posted yet, but Abbott's fight did not happen due to his oponent (a guy called Kiane) tearing his abs in training. Ian Freeman came out of retirement to fight Melvin Manhoff as the top of the bill fight instead- no results posted on line as yet.
i read an interview with this Kiane bloke, and to be honest he seems a bit of a knob. He is quoted in Martial arts Illustrated as saying 'I have so much natural talent- I pick things up so easily, it only took me 3 weeks to learn Muay Thai'
He only has one fight's experience, back in 1999. From all I have seen and read about him, when this fight does go ahead, I am hopefull that Tank will tear him a new one

#268459 - 07/01/06 09:35 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Stormdragon]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Tank the fighter - Brutally powerful striker. Limited grappling skills. Extremely tough but questionable endurance.

Tank the person - Hard to say, but anecdotal evidence suggests less than golden scruples.

Tank the commodity - Very entertaining, always willing to give an opinion. I remember being awed by his 600+ lb bench press. I still LOL @ Tank calling Don "the Predator" Frye a "Freddie Mercury look-a-like."

Good for getting interest in the sport, but not exactly the kind of representation I would want for MMA.

#268460 - 07/02/06 07:08 AM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: MattJ]
Cord Offline
Prolific

i agree with you Matt, but I also have to confess to being a major hypocrite on this, because Tank was always, and will always be my favourite MMA fighter. He is one of 3 fighters who I have an 'emotional investment' in when they fight (the other 2 being couture and Griffin). most anyone else, I just want to see a good fight- these three I root for.
Tank and the 'old' UFC were clever in Marketing Abbott as a no nonsense brawler, fresh from a stool in a biker's bar, and ready to lay the reality smack down on the dedly Krotty masters.
Sort of a JKogas with a drink problem

The public's (and my) imagination were captured, as this big lump of left hook unleashed some of the best KO's you could ever hope to see. He fought how the audience liked to imagine they would fight in the Octagon. The fact that he was wrestling trained in Highschool, trained boxing and benched 500lbs+ did not diminish his 'everyman' status with the fans.

Like Royce, and Shamrock, he has felt the painfull result of MMA's evolution, but I dont think there is any 'old timer' that still ingenders the same enthusiasm and excitement when he announces a return to the cage.

I like him so much i grew the beard

#268461 - 07/26/06 04:03 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Cord]
cauliflowerears Offline

Quote:

i agree with you Matt, but I also have to confess to being a major hypocrite on this, because Tank was always, and will always be my favourite MMA fighter. He is one of 3 fighters who I have an 'emotional investment' in when they fight (the other 2 being couture and Griffin). most anyone else, I just want to see a good fight- these three I root for.
Tank and the 'old' UFC were clever in Marketing Abbott as a no nonsense brawler, fresh from a stool in a biker's bar, and ready to lay the reality smack down on the dedly Krotty masters.
Sort of a JKogas with a drink problem

The public's (and my) imagination were captured, as this big lump of left hook unleashed some of the best KO's you could ever hope to see. He fought how the audience liked to imagine they would fight in the Octagon. The fact that he was wrestling trained in Highschool, trained boxing and benched 500lbs+ did not diminish his 'everyman' status with the fans.

Like Royce, and Shamrock, he has felt the painfull result of MMA's evolution, but I dont think there is any 'old timer' that still ingenders the same enthusiasm and excitement when he announces a return to the cage.

I like him so much i grew the beard

Too funny man. I couldn't agree more.

#268462 - 07/26/06 07:35 PM Re: Tank Abbot [Re: Dereck]
spoonhammer Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs
Quote:

David "Tank" Abbott hasn't fought since 8/28/2005 in Pride when he lost to a submission choke to Hidehiko Yoshida. I honestly can't say what he is up to now but this is almost a year since he's fought which could mean many things.

He knocked out Cabbage at Rage on the Rocks a few months ago. And I mean KTFO, dude was twitching on the ground.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga