FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#268434 - 07/01/06 06:06 PM MMA forum combined into JKD?
TimBlack Offline
Exalted

Loc: UK, Brighton
I've just been thinking that MMA is becoming increasingly popular, and I'm sure there's plenty of people who are interested in the training required for multiple arts in one 'style'... And this seems to fit most with the philosophy of JKD... so why not make it the JKD/MMA forum? JKD forum seems pretty quiet at the moment anyway, might revitalise some talking.

#268435 - 07/01/06 06:45 PM Re: MMA forum combined into JKD? [Re: TimBlack]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
JKD is in theory pretty much aligned with MMA, but in practice many JKD groups are split on the methodologies they use. Probably better to keep them seperate, in the way that JJJ and BJJ are seperate forums. Similar, but different emphasis.

There is some friction between the "Original JKD" folks and the "Alive JKD" folks.

#268436 - 07/02/06 11:29 AM Re: MMA forum combined into JKD? [Re: MattJ]
TimBlack Offline
Exalted

Loc: UK, Brighton
Okies, cool

#268437 - 07/02/06 12:10 PM Re: MMA forum combined into JKD? [Re: TimBlack]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
The JKD forum does tend to be quiet. That's primarily because the only thing that most people want to do is talk about Bruce Lee instead of talking about training.

I honestly believe that MMA represents the true embodiment of what Lee was striving for with his JKD.

IMO, there are a few minor differences (mostly semantic issues) between MMA and JKD. Namely, that JKD was always about street fighting and self-defense whereas MMA is not always about that.

JKD is about using no way as way, etc. (utilizing all ways and being bound by none) and thus uses the "vehicle" of MMA as a training tool to develop "flow" between ranges / adaptability. However, JKD isn't (IMO) limited to MMA either. JKD training can include knife and stick fighting, etc.

That being said, you can train knife and sticking within the MMA format so again, it's really an issue of semantics.

But then as Matt said, you have the OJKD crowd who for some very weird reason, doesn't like a lot of grappling, sparring, stick fighting or anything else (such as Brazilian jiu-jitsu) that Bruce Lee did not personally do while he was alive. They're keeping JKD as a "museum piece exhibit" in other words.

I suppose as long as you're going to have that political divide, you have to differentiate between the two halves (unfortunately).

I just personally feel that the OJKD crowd doesn't "get it". They probably feel the same way about me, and they're entitled to their opinion - even if it IS wrong, lol.

-John

#268438 - 07/04/06 09:46 AM Re: MMA forum combined into JKD? [Re: JKogas]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
The "classical" JKD people feel that they don't want to expand Bruce's idea in fear that they will lose what their "Idol" created. Ted followed that view. Dan however, continued to expand, and was very successful.

Strange though, as BL said it himself that JKD will continue to expand. I like the JKD Concept but I'm not so into FMA, as it has become such a trend for JKD to integrate FMA into it. Some places even put "Authentic Filipino Martial Arts such as Kali, Escrima, Jeet Kune Do".

I'm not against FMA but I liked when JKD was Chinese/French (Wing Chun and Savate), and not so Filipino/Brazilian(FMA and BJJ). It's more like a flavor, it depends on you.

The most important aspect though of JKD which people constantly forget is "To Train". Bah, screw politics, if you can't punch properly then get out of the court room and start training dammit!

-Taison out

#268439 - 07/04/06 10:29 AM Re: MMA forum combined into JKD? [Re: Taison]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

It does depend on the indivual and personal preference. JKD individuals should be testable however, particularly when obtaining rank within the various member organizations.

This is not directed at you Taison so please bear that in mind...

The way I look at JKD is that its a process and not a product. It's a process of developing an adaptive, functional individual as well as someone with demonstrable and easily observable skill.

Who CARES how you got to that point, what "techniques" you use, or if you can also fight with weapons. Functionality and adaptability (three ranges of skill) are the bottom line.

Using ALL ways being bound by none (meaning, using FMA and jiu-jitsu and not being bound to Wing Chun, fencing, etc) is the cornerstone of JKD philosophy.

Now I understand that people have preferences, but how does adding any amount of A "FUNCTIONAL" training paradigm, weaken the integrity of JKD? As of yet, not one person has been able to clearly demonstrate or explain to me where it would.

Sorry about the rant. I just wanted to throw my opinion in the loop here.

-John

#268440 - 07/17/06 06:41 AM Re: MMA forum combined into JKD? [Re: JKogas]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Why not have a 'Bruce Lee' forum for the timewatsters... errm, kiddies... errm, serious martial artists who are also fans of Bruce Lee and a joint MMA/JKD forum.

Oooh, I'm gonna get flamed!

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#268441 - 07/17/06 06:58 AM Re: MMA forum combined into JKD? [Re: trevek]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

We COULD create one thread on that forum called; "The Bruce Lee Thread".

ANYTHING about Bruce Lee would go there and not anywhere else. That thread would probably be a thousand pages long. The average age of posters would probably be about 15.

-John

#268442 - 07/18/06 12:03 AM Re: MMA forum combined into JKD? [Re: JKogas]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Thanks for the insight,

I agree. People are so wasted with this "I got FMA, BJJ in my JKD", they totally forget to use "everything and anything".

Agreed, people should train more, talk less.

Quote:

ANYTHING about Bruce Lee would go there and not anywhere else. That thread would probably be a thousand pages long. The average age of posters would probably be about 15.

Agreed. Any mod upto the job?

-Taison out

#268443 - 10/26/06 04:38 AM Re: MMA forum combined into JKD? [Re: JKogas]
billyg Offline

Hello John. I have been observing the input from different forums that cover JKD for some time now. I think the way you have discussed training methods is more or less in line with ideology stated by Bruce Lee.
I think if Bruce Lee were still alive today then he would have constantly adjusted his training methods to incorporate techniques that have been proven to work and to discredit techniques that either wouldn’t work or are still being taught and would leave a person in danger.
As I am a female I feel my interests are in self defence but I would still like to develop other related skills.
I look forward to reading your input on the forums.

Billy_G

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga