FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Today at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
Today at 10:15 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Today at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
Today at 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432453 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 14 of 16 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 >
Topic Options
#268239 - 01/28/09 10:42 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: Ames]
TheCrab Offline
Scum

Loc: QLD Australia
When I turn 18 I want to start bouncing. I'm definitely not nightclub bouncer material as of yet. (78-80 lanky kg) but I'm not scared of a brawl and know a lot about diffusing confrontation, so even being doorman for a local pub or something like that would suit me perfectly. My mate needed cash, so he hit the gear, stacked on weight and did some door work, hes still doing it and its worked out well. so I figure I could do the same, either way it beats the sh*t out of apprentice chef wages

#268240 - 01/28/09 11:32 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: TheCrab]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

When I turn 18 I want to start bouncing. I'm definitely not nightclub bouncer material as of yet. (78-80 lanky kg) but I'm not scared of a brawl and know a lot about diffusing confrontation, so even being doorman for a local pub or something like that would suit me perfectly.

You would make an awful doorman Crab, and its got nothing to do with your size. You dont have the mentality for it. As for knowing a lot about diffusing situations, if that was the case, then half your posts on this site would never have existed.
Go 18 months from today without rising to any verbal argument, and avoid any physical altercation, and you might be showing signs of being in a headspace to not make a situation worse.

Door work is about prevention and genuine customer relations in difficult circumstances- you cant even deal with a KFC customer.

#268241 - 01/28/09 12:14 PM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: Cord]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
Lol Cord. You beat me to it mate. I was just thinking the same thing.

Crab,

The last time I had to actually put my hands on someone was last weekend. Prior to that I haven't needed to for months and that is not because I can beat the snot out of everyone I've encountered, it is because I know how to interact with people and make them understand through a haze of alcohol and god-knows-what.
Somehow I don't quite think you have the maturity yet to do that.
I have worked with people with your attitude and nearly all of them I've had to rescue from some one about to rearrange their limbs or I've had to send them home for their own safety.

Cord wrote..
"Go 18 months from today without rising to any verbal argument, and avoid any physical altercation, and you might be showing signs of being in a headspace to not make a situation worse."

Wise words!

#268242 - 01/29/09 06:20 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: McSensei]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
I'd say go on the Door, he'll quickly learn what is like to be a member of the adult world!

I'd personally have higher aspirations at 18 than becoming a 'bouncer'. Its a very easy life to get used to and institutionalized by. I was 23 when I went on the Door, but I already had been through college and had good job so Doorwork was a nice bit of pocket money. I personally think the government dropped the ball in the UK by letting under 21's get badges, and quite frankly I don't think most 18 year olds can handle the job anyway. How on earth can you expect to know how to run a bar/club when you've absolutely no experience of even being a customer in one? I've known a few young guys (and older ones actually) who've come on the Door, been seduced by the 'lifestyle' and end as total wasters living only for the night and sleeping off drug, alcohol and female induced sleep deprivation. I know plenty of people who started the door as a youth and before they even saw their life blink away they are 40 driving a now beaten up BMW and same tacky jewelery.

Aim higher...

#268243 - 01/29/09 07:27 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: Gavin]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Aim higher...

Its Crabbie. He got his underachievement badge in cub-scouts and has carried it with him ever since.

#268244 - 01/29/09 06:27 PM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: Gavin]
Triddle Offline

Loc: Australia
Gavin, with reference to 18 year olds having 'absolutely' no experience in bars and clubs I'd like to point out that in most of the world (including Australia, where crab is from) 18 year olds are legal and often frequent such places. The only places I know of where 21 is the legal drinking age are in the US, Fiji and Indonesia. So although 18 year olds may not exactly be veterans, they should theoretically have just as much experience as a 21 year old in the US.

#268245 - 01/30/09 05:05 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: Triddle]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Gavin, with reference to 18 year olds having 'absolutely' no experience in bars and clubs I'd like to point out that in most of the world (including Australia, where crab is from) 18 year olds are legal and often frequent such places. The only places I know of where 21 is the legal drinking age are in the US, Fiji and Indonesia. So although 18 year olds may not exactly be veterans, they should theoretically have just as much experience as a 21 year old in the US.

Gav is from the UK, where we all start going to pubs when we are 15, though we are not allowed to 'till we are 18

His point is in regard to having authority in a position of responsibility, and, as I started working doors when I was 17, I feel I can offer a perspective on this issue.

Whilst I had the confidence, and the ability, to do the job at such a young age, it no doubt made it significantly harder than it was when I got older, and it had nothing to do with experience.

Telling a fully grown man that he cant come into a pub/club when you yourself are not old enough/barely old enough to drink anywhere full stop, instantly creates a challenge to your authority. No 30 something bloke thinks, or wants to think, that a 'bloody kid' can keep him out of anywhere, and they will test that belief very readily.

The number of times I had to act physicaly to gain compliance in the job dropped markedly after the first 3 years, and even in my early 20's, the number of times I heard 'I was drinking in pubs before you were born!!!' or 'aint you up past your bedtime?' were frequent.

Of course, there were plenty of older guys who found out that a teenager could keep them out of anywhere, along the way , but its better to have the natural presence that maturity gives you when you start, because its a f*cking bumpy road proving yourself 4 times a weekend I can tell you

#268246 - 01/30/09 08:32 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: Gavin]
TheCrab Offline
Scum

Loc: QLD Australia
Quote:

I'd personally have higher aspirations at 18 than becoming a 'bouncer'

what aspirations can a (17) year old have. Im not an intellectual bloke, so I might as well do something mindless to get some extra cash on top of my job.
You Brought up kfc cord, but I can deal with people when I want to. Sort of how you adjust the way you eat depending who your with. I have some people skills, and im definitly not afraid of an angry dero at the local pub. So it just might be for me.

My mates been doing it for a while and he says its a great night gig, decent pay, etc. cant see anything getting out of hand at the local pub, and i get in enough brawls that I might as well get payed for it.

anyway, its just a thought at the moment, and I have a couple months til im 18, so i can think it over.

#268247 - 01/30/09 09:00 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: TheCrab]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Quote:

what aspirations can a (17) year old have. Im not an intellectual bloke

What aspirations can't a 17 year old have?

Edited by Gavin (01/30/09 09:12 AM)

#268248 - 01/30/09 09:36 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: TheCrab]
NewJitsu Offline

Loc: Midlands, UK
Quote:

Im not an intellectual bloke, so I might as well do something mindless to get some extra cash

Brilliant! It's not often I laugh out loud from a forum posting. Part of me remembers what it was like to be young and unstoppable, part of me wishes I'd listened more to my peers.

I seriously hope you don't get a kicking, Crab, because I'll miss your posts. But carry on and you're in real danger of being fed through a tube, I fear.

Page 14 of 16 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga