FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (MattJ), 60 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 12 of 16 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >
Topic Options
#268219 - 12/23/07 10:52 PM Re: A Doormans Diary. [Re: TwizDead]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Quote:

To be honest mate, how many bouncers can count?

Just because people are bouncers doesn't mean they're dumb.

I've been in a white collared job for most of my life, working with really high-upstairs people, and some government people and for the very life of me I can't count. I need my calculator if you go beyond 2 zero digits.

As for being a bouncer, I've befriended some at a local club, cheerful guys, just don't get them p!ssed or stir trouble. Another thing I noticed, don't stir trouble thinking they'll back you, they won't.

-Taison out

#268220 - 01/03/08 05:01 PM Re: A Doormans Diary. [Re: TwizDead]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
Quote:

Quote:

A bit later another bunch of kids approached the pub and as before I asked for their ID.
One lad gave me his driving licence. I looked at it and it said his birthday was August 1989.
I stared at it for ages as I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
"You're only 17," I said.
"Err, yeah. Okay don't worry about it." he replied and left.

To be honest mate, how many bouncers can count? most people see the driving licence n assume your 18...worked a treat for me a few years ago.

You fall into the classic trap my friend and that is one of the advantages that we "Bouncers" have over the punters.
You underestimate us at your peril.

#268221 - 01/03/08 05:43 PM Re: A Doormans Diary. [Re: NewJitsu]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

NewJutsu,

Been a while, but I said I'd answer so I will.

Brief history. Started MA at 15. Started working in bars (as a barman and then manager/steward) at 18 and gradually slid into the trap of making the two things mutually exclusive. Basically spent all my time drinking and not doing any ma at all. Now the places I worked didn't have doormen so it was up to barstaff and decent punters to sort out any trouble. This would be my first unofficial taste of "bouncing."
At about 24 I stopped working in pubs. Now I just spent all my free time drinking in them. Usually to the point of oblivion and got in a fair few scrapes because of it. This is the period of my life where I learnt alot about losing fights.

Then the corny bit happened. My son was born and I decided it was time to straighten up. So I got back into Karate, then JJJ and then I met my erstwhile colleague and Instructor, Gavin and the whole world of doorwork just beckoned from the moment I started training with him.
Plus the fact that I'd just lost one of the contracts from my cleaning co. and I needed the money.

As for MAs helping to be accepted? No.
None of that crap matters. It's all about how you do the job whether you are a fifth dan master or never got off the sofa except to go to work. What does help me get accepted a bit easier than the young new doorman is my age I think.
At 41 I've been around the block a couple of times.

If I was to advise someone to take up something to get them ready for doorwork I would probably recommend Judo rather than a RBSD place, unless it's CombatArena of course. It gets you used to stand up struggling with people that are fully resisting, pretty much what you will be doing on the job.
Better still to have a good awareness of tactics and how to out manouvre people and yet better than that...the ability to talk to people and make them understand, through a fog of alcohol and god knows what else.

#268222 - 01/04/08 08:32 AM Re: A Doormans Diary. [Re: McSensei]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
I was curious. I have seen schools that teach how to be a bodyguard and other specific SD related professions. Has anyone ever started a school or know of a school strictly designed for teaching an individual how to be a doormanor one that offers a course? With the cost of a license being as much as it is, someone choosing that profession would probably pay to have the skills to do the job properly.

Something that might teach techniques, law enforcement related issues, how to avoid lawsuits, and awareness stuff?

just curious.

#268223 - 01/04/08 01:04 PM Re: A Doormans Diary. [Re: RazorFoot]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

I was curious. I have seen schools that teach how to be a bodyguard and other specific SD related professions. Has anyone ever started a school or know of a school strictly designed for teaching an individual how to be a doormanor one that offers a course? With the cost of a license being as much as it is, someone choosing that profession would probably pay to have the skills to do the job properly.

Something that might teach techniques, law enforcement related issues, how to avoid lawsuits, and awareness stuff?

just curious.

In the UK, to get your license you have to pass the SIA, which involves the aspects you speak of in its curriculum. Basic first aid, conflict management, legal considerations and how to operate within the law. As far as I know it does not deal specificaly with restraint and/or other physical skills to any great extent, working more on the premise that if you run your door responsibly, then throwing down should not be the primary feature of your work.

#268224 - 01/06/08 05:55 PM Re: A Doormans Diary. [Re: RazorFoot]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Razor,

Not much more to add to what Cord said, as usual he is pretty much on the money.

The closest it gets to teaching you anything in the way of actually dealing with trouble is the 2nd part of the course called conflict management.

This is what I wrote in my first post, "Becoming a Doorman."

"Far too passive for my liking. It seemed to me that they were teaching that if it goes off you should get away from the trouble and get help. Surely the job is to be there and be prepared to sort out the trouble, on your own, physically, if necessary. Also, I didn't agree with some of the body language they tried to teach. Keeping your hands down and with the palms showing when someone is being threatening and abusive is inviting a right hander if you ask me.
It was still interesting and it might work with some people, but if you are relying on it and can't back it up physically, you are going to be in a world of trouble.
And there lies the problem. Anyone can do this course and to be honest, there were a couple of people on this course that clearly had no idea of how to handle themselves. They weren't even big built or anything. So what are they going to do when the sh!t hits the fan?"

So no, it doesn't even touch on the physical skills you need. And need them you do!

#268225 - 09/08/08 08:56 PM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: ButterflyPalm]
zar88 Offline
Stranger

hey i just wanted some opinions, im looking to get an sia badge and woork as a doorman/bouncer. im black belt in taekwon do and quite agile and got a few gold medals 4 my weight category. but as it stands im only 5ft7 and 11.5 stone.
what do you think will i be able to find work wor will employers not take me seriusly? thanks all opinions welcome.

#268226 - 09/09/08 05:22 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: zar88]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

hey i just wanted some opinions, im looking to get an sia badge and woork as a doorman/bouncer. im black belt in taekwon do and quite agile and got a few gold medals 4 my weight category. but as it stands im only 5ft7 and 11.5 stone.
what do you think will i be able to find work wor will employers not take me seriusly? thanks all opinions welcome.

Of course you will find employment, and it will have nothing to do with your TKD. In fact, if you go into the interview saying 'yeah I aint that big but I like a fight' then you wont get the job.
Bouncing is not 'Roadhouse' I tell you what it is- its people skills, using your brain, your eyes and your mouth so that your fists and feet dont have to be used in violence.
You need to be able to mirror, empathise, control space, remove escalatory factors (or remove the person from those factors), read body language, spot 'tells' for various substances; not to mention be qualified in 1st aid (if sensible) and be familiar with self defence/assault legislation/definitions.
You also have to be a good team player- you will seldom have to deal with someone 1 on 1, at least not for long. You will be part of a team, and will have to pitch in for that team, and get to know them well to make communication and response easier between you all.

Its a profession. You need to be a professional, not a 'big scary dude'.

Get your SIA, and be prepared for long nights of standing around doing f-all, being heckled by drunks, avoiding spew, breaking up arguing couples, and occasionaly, occasionaly dealing with a big kick-off. Remember, if you do your job properly, the trouble makers wont be in there in the first place. It should be a predominantly proactive, not a reactive job.

#268227 - 09/13/08 02:24 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: Cord]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Well you just know how to take the fun out of everything, don't you, Cord?

#268228 - 09/13/08 03:43 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: JoelM]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Well you just know how to take the fun out of everything, don't you, Cord?

Captain Killjoy at your service.

Page 12 of 16 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga