FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 2
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
Today at 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Today at 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432494 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 7 of 16 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#268169 - 12/02/06 11:54 AM Re: A Doormans Diary. [Re: MattJ]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
Sorely tempted, Matt. Very sorely tempted.

#268170 - 12/09/06 01:05 PM Re: A Doormans Diary. [Re: McSensei]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Sat 3rd December. The Sun Rooms, Southend.

Another quiet night with no real trouble. Had to see out one guy who could barely stand but that was about it.

One point in the evening added a little interest when a few guys went running past us and around the corner. A minute later about 6 doorman from the club opposite came along and asked if we'd seen some lads running by. Apparently they had attacked another member of their door team and were out for some "street justice" if you know what I mean. At this time John King was with us chatting so we all joined the others and went looking for the gang of lads that had scooted around the corner.
So there we were about 10 of us all looking for this gang when we see them all getting into a van. There was no point then going after them as they would have gone by the time we reached the van. However, it sent out a message to them that if you mess with one you mess with all. From the look on their faces I don't think they'll be back in a hurry.

So that was about it for the night.

Fri 8th December, The William Camden, Bexleyheath.

Once again, another quiet night with only one incident worth mentioning.
A guy who was getting more drunk and loud as the evening went on was approached by the manager and I went and stood close by in case I was needed. After standing there for a few minutes the manager came over to me and asked if me and the other doorman could go wait in the other bar as the guy was getting irate at me standing and "intimidating" him, while they talked.

Feck me, I thought it was my job to be on hand when p!$$ed up idiots start getting out of hand.
Any way, the manager ended up talking to the bloke for nearly an hour and then gave him a lift home.
I don't know what others think of that, but personally I would have had him out of there a lot sooner than that and certainly wouldn't reward the blokes rude behaviour by giving him a lift home.
Still I keep telling myself it's his pub etc etc..

#268171 - 12/09/06 04:02 PM Re: A Doormans Diary. [Re: McSensei]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Once again, another quiet night with only one incident worth mentioning.
A guy who was getting more drunk and loud as the evening went on was approached by the manager and I went and stood close by in case I was needed. After standing there for a few minutes the manager came over to me and asked if me and the other doorman could go wait in the other bar as the guy was getting irate at me standing and "intimidating" him, while they talked.

Feck me, I thought it was my job to be on hand when p!$$ed up idiots start getting out of hand.
Any way, the manager ended up talking to the bloke for nearly an hour and then gave him a lift home.
I don't know what others think of that, but personally I would have had him out of there a lot sooner than that and certainly wouldn't reward the blokes rude behaviour by giving him a lift home.
Still I keep telling myself it's his pub etc etc..

Tough one to call. At the end of the day, your job is to act on behalf of the licensee, providing it does not put you in unreasonable danger, or on the wrong side of the law.
Some places you will enforce a dress code- 'no jeans or trainers' for example. The wearing of such clothing is neither offensive nor illegal, but if its not right for the 'image' of the premises as decided by the gaffer, so be it. You dont have to agree, just facilitate the wishes of the guy who pays the bills.

In this instance, the owner asked you to leave him to it, so removing responsibility from you, and he reached a peaceful conclusion. Good PR for him/his club, no hassle to you and your team. Thats a happy ending.

man you are just itching for a barney aren't you!?

Dont worry buddy, it will find you soon enough, you dont need to go looking

#268172 - 12/12/06 12:20 PM Re: A Doormans Diary. [Re: Gavin]
Buzz Offline

Loc: London, England
Quote:

... buzz is something quite special ...

Just been reading this thread for the first time in a while and couldn't help quoting Gav (a little out of context, I'll admit).

Makes for very interesting reading. Keep it up, McSensei.

#268173 - 12/12/06 04:56 PM Re: A Doormans Diary. [Re: Cord]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Cord wrote..

"Tough one to call. At the end of the day, your job is to act on behalf of the licensee, providing it does not put you in unreasonable danger, or on the wrong side of the law.
Some places you will enforce a dress code- 'no jeans or trainers' for example. The wearing of such clothing is neither offensive nor illegal, but if its not right for the 'image' of the premises as decided by the gaffer, so be it. You dont have to agree, just facilitate the wishes of the guy who pays the bills.

In this instance, the owner asked you to leave him to it, so removing responsibility from you, and he reached a peaceful conclusion. Good PR for him/his club, no hassle to you and your team. Thats a happy ending."

Admittedly I was in two minds about it myself. On the one hand a peaceful conclusion and on the other I felt that it was my job. Hey I can talk to people too.
I just felt like a bit of window dressing that's all.

"man you are just itching for a barney aren't you!? "

Lol. I think there's a little bit of that in everyone that does this job. Still, I've got Xmas eve to work yet. In my experience that particular night was always a bit of a blood bath. Though that may have more to do with where I grew up.

Sat 9th Dec, The Sun Rooms

Up to 10PM at this venue it is free to enter, after that time it is 3 quid. Any one that leaves before that time and comes back within a reasonable time is allowed in free.
So a guy turns up about 11 o'clock and we tell him he has to pay. He says that he was in earlier and to prove it points to his jacket on a chair just inside the door.
"Nice try buddy," I tell him, "but I have been here since 9.30 and I didn't see you leave."
After a few minutes my fellow doorman relents and says he can go in without paying with a word about the amount of time that has elapsed from leaving to coming back and not to push his luck in future.
We think that's the end of it but then start to notice that the guy is spending his time staring daggers at us through the window. He also pulls the manager to one side every time we let someone in without paying. (Guests of the manager, DJs guests and off-duty staff etc)
"Right," 'B' my fellow doorman says, "better to deal with this earlier rather than later!" and off we go into the club and stand about 2 feet away from the guy and stare at him. All of a sudden he loses interest and turns back to his drink.
"That settles that then." says B and we go back outside. 30 seconds later the guy puts on his coat and leaves without giving us a glance.

Not much more happened, just the odd turn away at the door, however the club opposite were understaffed and at 2.30AM had a big kick off which needed the attention of 2 police vanloads and about 6 police cars.
I guess that's what you get with a thousand or so revellers and only 8 doormen.
I know I'd like a little more excitement but that was pandemonium.

#268174 - 12/13/06 04:47 AM Re: A Doormans Diary. [Re: McSensei]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Quote:

however the club opposite were understaffed and at 2.30AM had a big kick off which needed the attention of 2 police vanloads and about 6 police cars.
I guess that's what you get with a thousand or so revellers and only 8 doormen.

No that's what happens when you pay peanuts for your doorman and get monkeys instead. Out of respect for the couple of semi-decent guys that work there I won't mention the name of the club. The reason why they were understaffed was because the week before a couple of the wannabe-doorman-when-they-grow-up-bully-boy-baskets got their behinds handed to them by a couple of 18 years and didn't have the bottle to turn up for work the week after.

That venue has always been a boiling pot and when I worked there the only time the police turned up was to try and cart off the doormen. My good friend Dave used to be the Head Doormen and we had such a strong team there we never got anything that we couldn't handle. Afterall it is a club full of 18-25 year olds... a team of 8 should be able to deal with, let alone the 10-12 they usually run with. At Varsity we have 750 people in and thus far have managed with a team of 5 without any major problems *touches wood*.

A weak Door team is the soul reason that the "club opposite" gets so much trouble.

As for the Sunnies door policy... knocking back idiot DJ's become some of a sport for us when we worked there! Always a great way of deflating a trumped up ego!

#268175 - 12/20/06 05:55 PM Re: A Doormans Diary. [Re: Gavin]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Friday, 15th Dec. Private company christmas party.

What the hell does a Xmas party need doormen for?

Weeellll, to stand around eating copious amounts of steak from the barbecue they were having. (I know, I know. A BBQ in December . Still it kept us warm)
Also to check peoples invitations, stop people stealing alcohol from what could loosely be called the bar and to watch the behaviour of the partygoers.

So not much happens until about 12;30 when a prank someone plays goes wrong and all of a sudden we have an argument cum scuffle to deal with.
Most of it being caused by a girlfriend of one of the two guys arguing as she kept trying to attack one guy and stab him with her cigarette. So I knock the cig out of her hand and push her back. Well ok, I tried to push her back, but no lie, she was about 20 stone, That's 280lbs. I did manage to stop her forward progress though but not before she had given a few kicks to the shins of my colleague for the night, S. Now S is a huge bloke and didn't take too kindly to the kicking and gave her a huge shove backwards at which point I managed to steer her off to the side and calm her down a bit. All this time the blokes who were originally arguing had split up and now the boyfriend wanted to have a go at S. I'd passed the girl on to one of the company bosses to talk to and went and dealt with the boyfriend who was still bad mouthing . Just needed a bit of a talking to and that was that.

One thing I have noticed over the last week is that people are getting cockier and more arrogant as xmas approaches. I can see why they call it the silly season.

Sat, 16 Dec. 18th Birthday party.

Babysitting!

What a complete waste of time. Who hires bouncers for a birthday party??? Totally bored all night then I went home.
Exciting huh?

#268176 - 12/21/06 06:31 AM Re: A Doormans Diary. [Re: McSensei]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Glamarous world of Doorwork mate!

This weekend will be the one to watch mate. Especially tomorrow. Last working day before Christmas. Everyone goes out straight from work. People who don't drink all year round decide to make up for it in one night. Tomorrow night you'll probably end up earning your money mate. Watch your back and have a safe one matey!

#268177 - 12/23/06 02:41 PM Re: A Doormans Diary. [Re: Gavin]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Well, I will be helping the father in law in the family pub tomorrow night- nothing official or licensed of course (or paid come to think of it- Doh!! ) But it will be nice to dip my toe back in the water once again.

To those doing it 'for real' in busy town centres and clubs, may you and your teams all have nothing but injury free fun- and a few christmas kisses from the many attractive ladies that will doubtless be out and about this silly season.

#268178 - 12/23/06 07:54 PM Re: A Doormans Diary. [Re: Cord]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Page 7 of 16 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga