FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 44 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#268119 - 07/17/06 09:09 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: Gavin]
Glockmeister Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Pa
Quote:

Cord you'd love it where I'm working at the moment. Southends busiest bar/pre-club club. Full to the brim with young ladies (McSensei will back me up if he can remember what the last bar was like on Sunday night! ), an absolute top door team who have absolute no objections about getting stuck in, a manager who takes us all out for a drink before we start, a manager who turns a blind eye when a well deserved slap is dealt out (in fact he usually gives you a drink for it!), a manager who supplies numerous drinks throughout the night (3 out of the past 4 weeks I ain't been in a fit state to drive home)... oh heck, it's a venue with lot's of women, quite a few punch ups and an absolute diamond of a manager! Absolute pleasure turning up for work every saturday!!!

Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen

#268120 - 07/17/06 09:24 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: Glockmeister]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Quote:

Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen

Personally I see it as old school Doorwork and a damn fun way of earning money. Our customers know the score and when they don't tow the line they are dealt with appropriately. On the whole we have a great time with customers, doorstaff and barstaff. Everyone feels relaxed and protected without the liberal do-gooder nonsense that usually stops people from being able to do there job! Having a few drinks and a pro-active attitude to trouble makers makes the job a lot less stressful and easier!

#268121 - 07/17/06 11:24 PM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: Gavin]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
couldnt agree more Gav. If doorwork were all about negotiation and empathy, then you would have social workers moonlighting and terrifying drunken idiots with their reasoning and empathy.

Be polite, be professional,and be ready. I always thought of myself as a mirror that reflected the behaviour of the customer. Want to have a laugh and a good time, I couldn't be nicer. Want to start something, be aware that I would finish it.

Decent customers appreciate a safe environment. A-holes dont appreciate getting a kicking. A heavy handed approach, used judiciously, keeps things good for everyone IMO.

#268122 - 07/18/06 06:48 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: Cord]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

I think Glockmeister was probably commenting on the drinking whilst working to be fair on reflection. Just to clarify when I said "not fit to drive" I mean that I was over the legal limit to drive so didn't. The UK limit is about 1 pint, which is taken up with the drink with the team at the end of the night to discuss the nights events and chill out a bit before going home. However during the night its quite common to have a few drinks brought for you by customers. So just for the record I wasn't talking about getting wasted, just probably being above the legal drink drive limit.

Edited by Gavin (07/18/06 09:13 AM)

#268123 - 07/18/06 08:40 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: Gavin]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
"...I think globbetrotter..."

Gav, that would be Glockmeister.
Hmmm, what were you saying about drinking???

#268124 - 07/18/06 09:17 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: McSensei]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Edited and corrected!

Quote:

Hmmm, what were you saying about drinking???

Think it makes you chuck your guts up dunnit mate? Well atleast that's what happend when I went out on the lash with this bald bloke the other week! Did I forget to mention that here... the mighty McSensei's drinking prowess???

#268125 - 07/18/06 10:10 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: Gavin]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
McStella by any chance?

#268126 - 07/18/06 10:42 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: Cord]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

McStella by any chance?

Numerous pints of McGuiness, a lot of straight McJack D, one McWaveform elbow once we got back to mine (you'd have thought he would've learned not ask stuff when I'm sloshed by now wouldn't you. He was curled up in a fetal position for about a mintue!) and finally a McStella after all that. All finished with a major McHangover in the morning and me and my mate Dave forcing him to get up and train at 8 in the morning. As out of order as it sounds he was actually sleeping in my training room, so it seemed only fair that he get up and do a pad workout and sparring!

Gav

PS. My mate Dave is the former European and Commonwealth Kick boxing Champion... a spar with him is a great way to get rid of a hang over! Wouldn't ya say Tone!!!

#268127 - 07/18/06 06:32 PM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: Gavin]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
"PS. My mate Dave is the former European and Commonwealth Kick boxing Champion... a spar with him is a great way to get rid of a hang over! Wouldn't ya say Tone!!!"

If receiving a hiding that numbs a thumping brain is your cure then you are welcome to it mate.
In future I think I'll stick to the sleeping for 36 hours method.
Oh and btw Cord, they made me drink all that. Honest!

#268128 - 07/18/06 09:41 PM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: Gavin]
Glockmeister Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Pa
Gavin, Wasn;t trying to sound like a liberl "do gooder" however, maybe things are different in the UK than here. And again, the US is a big place so I can't speak for the sntire country, but a lot of places around here strictly allow no drinking during or before a security staff memeber begins his or her shift. God forbid soemthing happens and you find yourself in court. If it is determined one of themn was under the influence, the owner of the club would be doomed.Giving someone a drink when someone slaps someone because they are acting like a$$holes can be a good thing, it can also encourage people to get physical when it is not warrented. I have seen "bouncers" punch patrons when there was no need whatsoever for it except to stroke that persons ego and show how "manly" they are.Unfortunately, while there are some very good doormen out there, there are quite a few who take the job for no other reason than for their egos. Often it shows. There was a club in my local town (it's been closed down now) where doormen have been successfully charged with assault and the owners successfully sued in court due to the cavalier attitude you have described.
Nothing against you, I just think that the man who owns that establishment is taking an awful risk by allowing his staff to drink before or during work ( I assume you are referring to alcahol)Then again. Maybe it is different over there.

Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga