FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Today at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 15 of 16 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 >
Topic Options
#268249 - 01/30/09 09:57 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: NewJitsu]
TheCrab Offline
Scum

Loc: QLD Australia
your treating me like im fu*king joking

#268250 - 01/30/09 10:24 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: TheCrab]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Well, I think that answered any questions as to whether you should become a doorman. Now we'll have to wait with baited breath as to whether you're actually stupid enough to become one! Me thinks you will be - remember to get the number of a good solicitor before you start and make sure any medical insurance you may have is paid up....

#268251 - 01/30/09 11:38 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: Gavin]
TheCrab Offline
Scum

Loc: QLD Australia
you guys are hard to converse with.
looking for work would usually be considered a good thing

#268252 - 01/30/09 11:50 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: TheCrab]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

what aspirations can a (17) year old have.

Erm... to have some self respect? enough common sense to make a life for yourself? Travel the world? Move somewhere that gives you opportunity?
Find something in life to care about?

Quote:

Im not an intellectual bloke, so I might as well do something mindless to get some extra cash on top of my job

Crab, I am telling you straight, you are not smart enough to be a good bouncer. Its not a 'mindless' job, and I would be suprised if you even got given the chance to try it - already got a bit of a rep in your neck of the woods for fighting havent you? Gone are the days when pubs/clubs hired trouble to deal with trouble. You are 20 years too late for that cobber.

Quote:

You Brought up kfc cord, but I can deal with people when I want to.

You keep saying this, and sooner or later, even you will not be able to convince yourself. For years you have posted how you have these magic, selective, people skills, but you dont People skills are about being able to behave well to people who dont deserve it, who you dont like, who dont like you. Its about putting on a 'mask' and keeping your real opinions to yourself in the name of a quiet night.
You manage not to punch one of your feckless sh1tty friends for a week and think you are a diplomat!

Quote:

Sort of how you adjust the way you eat depending who your with.

What!?!? Are you so insecure, so desperately needy, that you change your eating habits dependant on your company!?! Thats adorable

Quote:

I have some people skills, and im definitly not afraid of an angry dero at the local pub. So it just might be for me.

Let me run through your first month on the door for you.

You are going to start off looking for trouble- you will be amped up and nervous enough to want to 'stamp your authority' on the place. Regulars will get to know you, and will pass on stories about who has done what, and who they think you should watch for. You will identify these 'hard b4stards' in the pub, not to watch them, but to get 'in' with them. They will act friendly, not because they 'respect' you in any way, but because by playing nice they know you will turn a blind eye to much of what they are up to. You will be so happy for the acceptance, that you will indeed, do just that.

You will get laid- not the really cute barmaid that you want- she has seen people like you come and go a hundred times, but you will get some dregs, and some of the girls that have done the rounds and are glad of a new face, and also a few of the underage girls from your local college who will want the 'kudos' of doing a bouncer, along with the guarantee of them and their pretty little friends not getting ID'd at your door.

Your existing friends will love it, and will use your position to push their luck even more in regards to their conduct in your pub- and when they get the slap they deserve, you will ensure that you and those you work with dont remove your 'mates'.

You will think you have it sussed, until the local hard-nuts get pi$$ed off with your mates, and you have to decide which stay and which go. Dont expect a lot of help or sympathy from your colleagues by this point either, because they got tired of your brainless 'wannabe' attitude weeks before when it all kicked off and you werent there to help because you were getting blown by a 16 year old round the back by the fire exit.

You will, in no uncertain terms, get a pasting, lose your friends, and your job, all in one night.

Abd believe me, this is a best case scenario given how tragic your mindset is.

Quote:

anyway, its just a thought at the moment, and I have a couple months til im 18, so i can think it over.

If you have a thought within the next 2 months, you will be showing vast improvements already.

#268253 - 02/02/09 11:14 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: Cord]
Ilove2Hit Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Quote:

Quote:

Erm... to have some self respect? enough common sense to make a life for yourself? Travel the world? Move somewhere that gives you opportunity?
Find something in life to care about?

can some1 please add GIRLS?!

thats the minimum of what a teen could have in mind. girls girls girls...

lol.

as for the rest...

i kind of bounced a bit around at my 18 too. not much. just when there was no money i did it for a few night a month. no pubs or anything ruff, just clubs for the fine and rich ones.

the good thing was that i had very experienced mates. (a whole team, since it was a multi level club).

i can tell u that bouncing is all in ur heart and in your brain, definetly not in your biceps! (and thats something in understood before doing the job).

ive been in bars since my early 13. especially here in greece where there is nobody checking IDs and there is no police around that gives a f%ck.

i dont wanna spam around my poor experiences in the few nights ive worked, even though they tought me a lot of things for all my life. i just really want to tell u that it is not only about getting some "extra cash".

it just taked one of the guys who u wanna take out to splash a bottle on ur head and slit ur throat with the rest piece of glass in his hand.

if it is just "this extra cash" then it isnt worth your health being damaged and definetly not your life. this is all i can tell u. better have a 2nd job u get a bit less money then risking stuff that cant be bought with money.

#268254 - 02/14/09 04:57 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: TheCrab]
Inarai Offline

Quote:

Quote:

I'd personally have higher aspirations at 18 than becoming a 'bouncer'

Anything and everything. You don't aspire to what you're immediately able to do, you aspire to where you want to be down the road. You aspire to what you want out of life.

I ask you this: Is that really what you want out of your life?

#268255 - 02/17/09 04:05 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: Inarai]
Ilove2Hit Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
if u get a doorman certificate in the UK, is it internationaly recognized?

#268256 - 02/17/09 04:11 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: Ilove2Hit]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

if u get a doorman certificate in the UK, is it internationaly recognized?

Good question. but as laws differ from country to country, I would think the answer to be no.

#268257 - 02/17/09 08:47 AM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: Cord]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Cord, those are quite detailed views of a first month of bouncing. I'm sure you garnered it all from someone else's biography, right?

#268258 - 02/17/09 05:29 PM Re: Becoming a doorman [Re: JoelM]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Actually I did He was older than Crab, but had the same mindset towards the job- he thought it was about being 'the man' and a license to let his mates do what they wanted, and he courted/craved the attention of certain 'faces' in town based on his new position.

Whilst he was not recieving any 'favours' at the time, he did a vanishing act the first night there was a big kick off and we all had to attend the dancefloor to deal with it.
Afterwards he said he was checking the fire escapes and lost radio contact, but one of the bar staff let it slide that he was in eyeline of the dancefloor.

He was subjected to an after hours kangaroo court, where he was told a) to stop acting like a twat, and b) if he ever bottled it again, he would get 10 times the beating from his colleagues in comparsion to what he feared from a flare-up.

He quit the next day, after less than a month.

I dont think Crab would be a coward, but I think that his personality would ensure a certain parity with my predictions.

Page 15 of 16 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga