FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
TooNice 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#267737 - 06/29/06 11:59 AM Rotating Curriculum
MartinVonCannon Offline

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone uses, or their instructor uses a rotating curriculum. By this I mean that everyone learns the same technique or form at the same time.

#267738 - 06/29/06 12:27 PM Re: Rotating Curriculum [Re: MartinVonCannon]
underdog Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mansfield, MA U.S.A.
No we don't. I'm having trouble figuring out how that would work. I don't mind, as a black belt, working on a white belt or any lower rank kata because when I do, I'm working on my own stuff. The lower ranked person practicing with me is not doing the same thing even if they are working on the same kata. Is this what you mean?

#267739 - 06/29/06 01:32 PM Re: Rotating Curriculum [Re: MartinVonCannon]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
My BJJ class uses a "rotating curriculum", although I have never heard that term. We all work on the same technique each class. We are all white belts, though. My AKK school did not, however. Each belt rank (indeed each person) had their own curriculum. (as far as what techniques were worked on in a given class)

#267740 - 06/29/06 01:56 PM Re: Rotating Curriculum [Re: underdog]
MartinVonCannon Offline

I also am having the same issue with figuring out how it works. As the forms progress, so do some of the technique in them. How would I expect a new student (White Belt) to be able accomplish some of them.

#267741 - 06/29/06 01:58 PM Re: Rotating Curriculum [Re: MartinVonCannon]
MartinVonCannon Offline

I would like to know how the rotating curriculum is working for you as a student an/or as an instructor. Please list good and bad points.

#267742 - 07/01/06 12:06 PM Re: Rotating Curriculum [Re: MartinVonCannon]
WuXing Offline

Loc: Idaho, USA
The last school I was in used a rotating curriculum. However, it came into effect at the intermediate levels. At the beginning levels, each person would be taught whatever was appropriate for their level, with the class breaking into small groups to accomodate that. For the intermediate and advanced students, everyone would work on the same thing each month. For intermediate, it was a one year rotation of material, with something new every month or so. For advanced clases, there was a two year rotation of material and conditioning classes, in some cases a few months being spent on the same thing. It seemed to work just fine. The testing process took this schedule into account, obviously. Tests were scheduled at intervals throughout the year, instead of being individualized as they were for beginners.
Instead of the teacher needing to go from group to group or individual to individual, he or she can instruct the whole class at the same time. If everyone is learning the staff in May, then the teacher can predict that there may be some people who need new staffs at that time, and have them ordered. Another effect of the system, which could be considered a benefit or a detraction, is that the students can know what is coming up and when. They can look forward to learning something they are excited about, and know exactly when it will be taught.
What is pro and con really depends on the particular school, what your goals are, and how many students there are. A school with many students that requires a high level of organization and has few instructors, or only one, might benefit from that sort of curriculum.

For smaller numbers of students, I would prefer an individualised curriculum which doesn't have any schedule.

So to answer your question about how it would work, you need to have more than one class. You could have a rotating schedule of basics and beginning forms for the beginner class. A schedule of intermediate material for the intermediate class, all of which requires roughly the same level of proficiency. And an advanced class which rotates through the advanced material.
I think this is really only appropriate for a fairly large number of students.

Edited by WuXing (07/01/06 12:12 PM)

#267743 - 07/27/06 12:41 PM Re: Rotating Curriculum [Re: WuXing]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
Last season we focused a little on one kihon-waza per month. That next to other kihon-waza and some different kata per grade level.
So one month tsuki-waza was trained, the next mae-geri-waza, then age-uke-waza and so on...
It worked out quite nice.
The extra attention on a waza help to fine-tune the different waza a bit better than usual.

#267744 - 07/28/06 03:51 PM Re: Rotating Curriculum [Re: Ives]
MartinVonCannon Offline

I can see how the extra attention on a specific form or technique would work well.

I am getting the impression that rotating Curriculum works well for class that have specific ranks in a class (beginning class, intermediate, advanced, Black Belt, etc). It does not work so well for classes that have multiple belts per class.

#267745 - 07/31/06 06:32 PM Re: Rotating Curriculum [Re: MartinVonCannon]
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
We usually divide the class sessions up into thirds or quarters. Part of class time is spent with all doing the same things ie footwork drills, arnis stick work, kicking, punching, SD techniques, and perhaps some yatsukos or grappling, or sometimes kata.

The other parts of the class are usually spent on rank specific stuff with students splitting up into ranks and working on their own level syllabus items with or without partners.

We have a large range of rank levels from white belt through to black belts and it works just fine for all of us. Often I will bring lower ranks in with a higher group to start on their new syllabus so that they have some role models to assist if necessary.

#433292 - 07/16/11 03:22 AM Re: Rotating Curriculum [Re: MartinVonCannon]
LeatheFirebender Offline
Stranger

Yeah, we do. Actually I think I joined just after they switched over to rotating curriculum. I really, really like it and hope to see it implemented more often.

Here's how it works:
The instructor teaches the same moves to everyone in the class, from the yellow belts all the way to the black belts (the white belts have separate, easier curriculum.) We have the same curriculum for two months, then we all test together. Then the curriculum changes. We call these two month periods "testing cycles". (I know two months seems frequent but we have like 20 belt ranks so yeah shocked )

I really love it because I get to meet everyone from all different belt levels, and we all help each other learn the material. There is a team and family type feeling among all the ranks that you just can't create with separate curriculum smile And I know you think "wait but how could a yellow belt do the same stuff as a brown belt?". The instructors realize this, and, of course, expect better technique and skill from the higher ranks.

Hope that helps!

Also! I forgot to add. At our studio the test to earn your black belt or get your 2nd/3rd degree is almost completely based on strenght/conditioning (it's an insane amount of conditioning!). Hope that helps explain more smile

Edited by LeatheFirebender (07/16/11 03:31 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga