FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#267258 - 04/05/07 06:49 AM Re: Training for the leg catch [Re: TimBlack]
warriortobe Offline

Loc: UK
I train in both TKD and Judo and I would recommend several techniques.
1. If your kick is caught you must be facing forwards. If it is a turning or side kick you need to twist so that you are facing your opponent.
2. You can then (if you are not already floored) try to free yourself. As a grappler I would recommend bending your knee to get as close as possible. This will prevent a leg lock and make it harder for you to be thrown. Also it will threaten the grappler and allow you to land strikes to his face. Finally, it puts much more weight on the grappler, making it harder for him to hold. Watch out for leg sweeps tho!
Alternatively ( this is very risky) go for a very commited front snap kick to the head. I personally wouldnt recommend this but I have seen it done. You need to be quite far away and get plenty of height.
If you are grounded , pull your legs in fast to avoid a leg lock and sit up as soon as possible.

#267259 - 05/24/08 03:23 PM Re: Training for the leg catch [Re: Dereck]
Huhmasta Offline
Got sent to the corn field

HAHA ok this thread reminds me of the time me and friends were just screwing around with extremly light contact sparring.My friend and I were really bored, so we did it at our break time in drumline practice. One of my friends had no experience with martial arts, yet we did it anyways. So we did only striking, but the strikes had to be "taps" not actual hits. And NO GRAPPELING. However, I threw a light kick to my friend's chest and he grabbed on. I was just about to yell that you couldn't grab, but he went for the take down anyway (this is my unexperienced martial art friend btw). The cool part was, while in midair, I went with instinct and somehow my other leg was behind both of his legs while the leg he caught was still on his chest. So I executed a scissors take down while I was falling down.It was the coolest thing I had felt in a while. So I guess the point I'm trying to get across is that if you get your leg caught and he goes for the take down, you can do a counter take down.
Quote:

I agree with VDJ on this one. Always kick low in a real fight...

Yup, my friend puts it this way: kick low for defensive/offensive measures, only kick high when your opponent leaves extreme vital areas wide open like the head, chest, etc. One of my problems with TKD places is that they don't do enough of low kicking in my opinion because sparring only consists of high kicking.

Edited by Huhmasta (05/24/08 03:27 PM)

#267260 - 05/24/08 07:38 PM Re: Training for the leg catch [Re: Huhmasta]
jeff_andle Offline

Loc: Falmouth, Maine USA
in practical situations my motto is kick low and often - the head will come to the kicks.

#267261 - 04/06/09 05:33 PM Re: Training for the leg catch [Re: jeff_andle]
hushsound Offline

haha oh the leg catch.

my opinion
honestly in a fight no one's gonna think OMG THIS GUY IS GONNA KICK ME. so u gotta use that to your advantage. work smarter not harder. so they arnt gonna expect a kick. and a kick is powerful.
though i am not suggesting you NOT learn how to avoid/ defend it i'm saying people freak ou too much about it and it's over exaggerated.

i guess to sum up the idea and add my 2 cents. yes it is worht learning if the chance happens to come. but i think that you should take measures to avoid it and see what works.

#267262 - 04/06/09 10:10 PM Re: Training for the leg catch [Re: hushsound]
VDJ Offline
Veteran

"my opinion
honestly in a fight no one's gonna think OMG THIS GUY IS GONNA KICK ME"

Wanna bet!

VDJ

#267263 - 04/07/09 02:49 PM Re: Training for the leg catch [Re: VDJ]
VDJ Offline
Veteran

Funny thing,

I was watching the UFC fights on Spike TV last night, in both the Jardine fight and the Bispane fight there was about 7 to 8 leg catches. Some were on low kicks, the majority were body kicks.

VDJ

#267264 - 04/09/09 12:56 AM Re: Training for the leg catch [Re: Subedei]
journeyoflife Offline

LeoE49, Derek, and JKogas...great information guys!

Good thread.

~C

#267265 - 04/22/09 10:20 PM Re: Training for the leg catch [Re: journeyoflife]
hushsound Offline

lol true too much ufc... HONESTLY UFC these guys are TRAINED they are professional they are sick at what they do. and u cant compare a brawl with UFC> these gusy are trained they know what they are doing. the avg. bozo that you might get into a brawl with wont belike them i'll put my life on it. and if they do know waht they are doing i doubt they would fight for no stupid reason. and neither should you.

ok sorry for the rant bu thad to ge tit out

ok back on topic.

umm.. mm personally i train NOT to get into this. i personally find it all about playin with their head. try to get them wehre they arnt gonna think. so kick em low like 3 or 4 times then kcik em in the head if it's reallyt obvious they suck or jsut settle with a nice kcik to the chest thats jsut me tho. i do some wrsteling ont he side so i'm prety exp eitehr way but i'm more kick oriented.

mm never the less it is a concern i will agree. i think for more self-defence its not something that should keep u up at night to much
and it's really a sticky situation.

Edited by hushsound (04/22/09 10:32 PM)

#267266 - 04/23/09 01:51 PM Re: Training for the leg catch [Re: hushsound]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Wow hushsound, wow!

If you are trained to avoid this I couldn't agree more. However kick them 3 or 4 times low and then kick them in the head ... way off!

Every fight is different and you need to deal with each separately. This will come down to surroundings, how you are feeling, your opponent and so many other factors. You come up against a grappler or a wrestler, that kicking won't mean $hit. And I would never tell anybody to kick somebody in the head in a real life encounter as too high of a risk. As for the chest, that is just an opportunity to have that leg taken and you winding up on your a$$. Not saying either can't work but too high of a risk.

#267267 - 04/23/09 04:22 PM Re: Training for the leg catch [Re: Dereck]
VDJ Offline
Veteran

Agreed Dereck. And I can't beleive he said this either:

"the avg. bozo that you might get into a brawl with wont belike them i'll put my life on it."

I would NEVER bet my life on anything, period! And then to make comments like kicking in the head??? Yeah, only if they're bent over and their head is down low enough to kick. The more he rants, the more his inexperience shines thru!

VDJ

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga