FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 3
cxt 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
Yesterday at 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
Yesterday at 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35570 Topics
432472 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#267238 - 07/19/06 03:01 PM Re: Training for the leg catch [Re: TimBlack]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
Tim, it is tought at our dojo, a matter of fact they are belt requirements to know the take downs from a front, round, side and back kick. I don't feel like typing a book on all these techniques but they are extremely effective. A matter of fact there are three basic take downs we teach just from the round kick. Most of the take downs end up on the ground with some type of ankle or leg lock as well....I love it, fun stuff!!!

#267239 - 08/06/06 08:10 PM Re: Training for the leg catch [Re: TimBlack]
retrety Offline

this is only an idea if somebody can try it or something please tell me if it works or tell me why it wouldnt or doesnt work. if somebody catches your kick bend your knee to get close enough to the person that the are in arm range or closer. the try to grab a hold of their kidney areas (under the rib and above the hip on side of the body) and squeeze hard. this causes immense amounts of pain if squeezed hard enough and most likely they will let go. again this is only an idea if somebody can try it or tell me if it would work or not please do.

#267240 - 08/08/06 11:59 PM Re: Training for the leg catch [Re: TimBlack]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
As far as a kick grab counter that is both indigenous to TKD and functional/ reliable? Good luck.

A waste of time trying to describe the tactic to non grapplers, but any decent wrestling coach can show you counters to a single leg takedown which is very similar to the kick catch that will be easlily integrated into your standup game. They involve the Whizzer and a judicious amount of sprawling.

#267241 - 09/13/06 10:22 AM Re: Training for the leg catch [Re: Fletch1]
mmatrainee Offline
Stranger

Loc: England
When i first encounted this question myself i asked my instructor. He told me from a front kick lean forwards and stomp your foot down while striking the face and this does work.
I have since then done some training with other people and if someone holds your leg from the side they can quite easily control your body by putting pressure on a joint of choise.
If you cannot instantly get close to them to put all your weight on the leg they're holding and strike your best bet it to go to ground.
I will not waste your time as i have seen many other explainations of what to do at this point and all i will say is practice and see what you can do.
All untrained people will either let go, try to put the boot in, or jump on you though, which is why i train for grappling as well.

#267242 - 09/15/06 11:17 PM Re: Training for the leg catch [Re: mmatrainee]
redcliffs Offline

I actually got caught in a leg catch yesterday. I was doing some light sparring with a Southern kung fu stylist..I had the upper hand for most of the brief session because he wasn't used to reading kicks; a guy watching us said I got a couple good headshots with some turning kicks (well, at least they would have been good, we weren't wearing any gear so I was being real careful not to actually hit, or at least hit hard).

Eventually though, I got sloppy and he caught my leg after staying on the defensive the whole time. However, in doing so, he dropped his defense and he had caught my leg, not my foot, so I was close in and he exposed his back. I immediately grabbed his neck from behind while he took my leg..we stopped as he started applying pressure to my trapped leg and I started choking him for obvious safety hazards. The next thing for him to do would have been to fall backwards and try to smash me into the concrete, which admittedly would have hurt..but if he didn't take me out then I think I would have had him because I would have been in a BJJ backmount on him.

So, in essence I guess, I couldn't figure out anything to do that was really indigenous to TKD. Though, the way he caught my leg, I could have tried striking him at the distance we were at, esp. since he was holding my leg with both hands, but I was worried he would throw me so I went for the backchoke. Though I might not have dared do that if he was a dedicated grappler, but I had the feeling that he wasn't really a much better grappler than me so I decided to risk it.

#267243 - 09/16/06 10:54 PM Re: Training for the leg catch [Re: TimBlack]
tkdchick89 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Canada *Maritimer, Bebe!*
hmmm I have never really seen the leg catch in action...however strange this might sound though, I have done it lol. Maybe I'm weird...but if you're going to catch a roundhouse you sort of move with it, redirect the energy flow, and place your foot beside their other one...and they'll go crashing down..and at that moment..you can take it to the ground...woohoo! I need to see that in action in UFC though lol.

#267244 - 10/20/06 02:50 PM Re: Training for the leg catch [Re: tkdchick89]
cesspoolx Offline

one way to stop a roundhouse is to dodge the kick but grab their foot and push it in the way they are going. that way they would over rotate and be open.
another jeet kune do move i learned is to grab the leg and kick the back of the thigh then the groin. definately not a tkd move, but i really think its super effective

#267245 - 10/29/06 02:35 PM Re: Training for the leg catch [Re: TimBlack]
ericsams Offline

One thing I can say if your leg is caught chances are you will hit the floor. Stay calm. I have found that I can still fight back if I remain agressive and let my miond go. Let me explain. I have had my leg caught and I used my opponent to be my base in which to thow a back kick to the gut. I landed on the floor, if this had been a real fight my opponent would have benn hurt. I am not saying that you should only do this when caught, but allow yourself the freedom to fight back.

#267246 - 10/30/06 11:23 AM Re: Training for the leg catch [Re: ericsams]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
You got to be careful not to kick too much. They are a good weapon to have, and TKD makes use of them well. However, its a lot of energy. After so many times your movement gets slower and you get caught. Thats why they always tell you to quick fast and never past the belt. It isnt because head kicks dont work but because the wear and tear on your energy. Also, if the opponent has good footwork then it is easy to catch. Nearly every kick can be caught with a quick enough step backwards. By judging the level of the knee, you already have a good idea of where its going. Its just a matter of stepping back and getting your gaurd to the proper position.

#267247 - 11/05/06 02:09 AM Re: Training for the leg catch [Re: TimBlack]
krazykarma Offline

why not just punch them in the face?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga