FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
Jeff_G 1
Marcus Charles 1
TooNice 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Jeff_G
03/30/14 12:44 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432375 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#266744 - 06/25/06 05:37 PM 5 min x 6 rounds Cardio ?
Diabolic Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
My cardio and conditioning have greatly improved in the past few months since starting BJJ back in March. Although, I still am unable to roll the whole 30 minutes which are made up of 5 minute rounds. Just kinda curious to know how many of you are able to roll a whole 30 mins with 5 minute rounds or at least get an average from some of you instructors on the average from your classes. I can only do about 4-5 and sometimes only 3. This is very bad compared to others at my school who can roll the whole 30 mins(6 rounds).

#266745 - 06/25/06 05:49 PM Re: 5 min x 6 rounds Cardio ? [Re: Diabolic]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
I could probably roll for two hours straight. But that isn't a statement about my incredible cardio capacity (which isn't THAT great). It's about HOW I roll and the fact that I don't use a lot of strength and tire myself out.

Figure out how you're spending your energy. Are you using too much strength? Do you know how to rest during rolling, even when in inferior positions? Fighting too hard is a quick way of blowing up and using your energy. Learn to pace yourself.

-John

#266746 - 06/25/06 05:59 PM Re: 5 min x 6 rounds Cardio ? [Re: JKogas]
Diabolic Offline

JK, I understand what you are saying and I should have mentioned it in my post. It completly varies and I am sure you understand it. Depends on who I am rolling with, the whitebelts (like myself) tend to use up alot of energy but I only usually roll with 1-2 of em. I usually roll with the purples and blues which are alot more technically and take their time and it is something I am working on myself. I just feel completly inferior compared to most of the class. I am working on my cardio currently and will do so until I get the whole 30 minutes without a problem. I just am frustrated at this point I guess.

#266747 - 06/25/06 05:59 PM Re: 5 min x 6 rounds Cardio ? [Re: JKogas]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Like John I can roll 2 hours if I have to. By this I mean training rolling not competition rolling, I find that a different energy level. Don't get me wrong, training is tiring and especially when starting with beginners who try to over power everything and that can get exhausting even if I'm try to conserve my energy.

The nice thing about training is you roll and talk while you are rolling. If you can talk you are relaxed. When you need to use strength you explode but otherwise you just move with their body and use "little" amounts of strength and energy. When you slow it down like that you can think more and relax more.

When I am totally exhausted that sometimes is the best rolling ever. While rolling you don't think about being exhausted as your mind is working but as soon as you stop then your mind kicks in and now the super exhaustion kicks in. As long as I'm moving I find I can hang in there and I've found that I am using more technique now then strength and that is the name of the game. HOWEVER there is a point that you should stop because being too exhausted can lead to injuries so you have to know where to draw the line.

It takes time trust me. In the beginning I blew my load early try to be strong. Then, I was trying to win and no win game and did not realize that in training having a winning attitude defeats the point of learning. Time and good partners ... plus injuries ... taught me this. AND some times I still blow my load to early but I can still hang in there and at the end of the night there are very few people still there but I'm there with my Instructor and Doug working still on different things.

I should also point out, cardio on the ground is different than cardio for stand up. Stand up I burn out way faster and cannot hang in there; the ground I can ... and hence why in my mind that many fights end up on the ground in the UFC, Pride, etc ... and real life altercations.

#266748 - 06/25/06 09:59 PM Re: 5 min x 6 rounds Cardio ? [Re: Diabolic]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I am still struggling with my rolling endurance. We typically roll for 15-30 minutes at the end of my BJJ class. I have worked my way up to 20-25 minutes usually, although sometimes I am blown out after 10-15.

I often use far too much strength and not enough technique, but it is getting better with practice.

#266749 - 06/25/06 10:04 PM Re: 5 min x 6 rounds Cardio ? [Re: MattJ]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
I've found that it all comes down to how you use your arms. I use a "FRAME" and push with my arms closer to my elbows than my wrist. Your arms can hold even heavy people off of you with a frame as you move your hips away from them. That is critical (though you may already understand this, I thought it worth mentioning).

Grappling is ALL about working for position. Framing and hip movement are the keys and require little in the way of energy expenditure. The trick is learning where and when to make those frames with your arms. Master this simple concept and your grappling game will change tremendously. Of course that has more to do with being on the bottom.

When on top, we can use energy too fast as well, particularly when we're scrambling. The trick there is knowing how to use your weight and avoiding the guard. Even if you ARE losing the scramble and are about to be placed in the guard, don't fight it and come into your opponent's guard already in posture. STAY in good posture and you'll stay safe. Get OUT of posture and you're in trouble. Posture is the key. That's for the guard.

If your opponent on the bottom is going to his hands and knees, let him and take his back.

If during all of this you end up back on the bottom, go back to framing up and moving your hips. Just let it flow sometimes as well. Play a passive game if your guard is passed and let your opponent tire himself out trying to attack you (while you maintain defensive posture).

Most of all, enjoy the process. That alone will relax you.

-John

#266750 - 06/26/06 01:44 AM Re: 5 min x 6 rounds Cardio ? [Re: JKogas]
jc4199 Offline

Loc: Pevely, MO U.S.A
We roll at the end of class most of the time its 3 3 min rounds with a different partner each round. I can go for all three rounds but the last round is sloppy and I play defense for most of it. I normally roll with people that have had many years of grappling and wrestling to my 6 months of grappling.

We only roll in the advance class so it normally late and I have had 2 1/2 hours of class in already Karate and the beginners grappling class.

But that last roll is the one I enjoy most I think.

The beginners classes are helping me relax and lear to use less power and just to let it flow.

#266751 - 06/26/06 09:42 AM Re: 5 min x 6 rounds Cardio ? [Re: jc4199]
Diabolic Offline

I find myself getting pulled into someones gaurd almost every roll now that I think about it. Your probably right that escaping that is where most of my energy is going. Tonight I will try my best to not get pulled into gaurd, but honestly even though I am on top (in gaurd)I find that to be a comfortable spot since I am a beginner (not knowing much) and hard to get anything on me from it. As I am typing this is making alot of sense as to where my energy is going from trying to escape it. Heh, but scrambling ontop seems as if it would kill me more then just simply being in someones gaurd.

Also, we do a 30 minute HIT program that includes 50x almost everything for warmup for the first 30 mins. That kills me bad too and am never even close to 100% after that.

#266752 - 06/26/06 02:13 PM Re: 5 min x 6 rounds Cardio ? [Re: Diabolic]
BradS Offline

Before my last fight i was doing 6 rounds of 10 minutes on thai pads and then doing the same amount of jiu-jitsu afterwards. If i tried that now i'd probably die. The best thing to learn is contol your emotions. Most people don't even realize how tense they are.

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga