FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 2
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
Today at 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Today at 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432494 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#266449 - 11/14/06 03:29 PM Re: Southern Praying Mantis!!! [Re: IExcalibui2]
tailiugug Offline

Loc: Utah
my computer isn't fast enough to play the clips properly, I am looking into anouther labtop that is faster and has much better video possibiltys, as for what i can show you, I will ask permission from sigung to post a couple clips. ( I have figure that part out) The thing is I have permission to perform in competion and for my students. I do not have permission to teach the mantis right now I can take my students to 1st level black and all the animial style are after that. I cant openly teach those arts untill I have reached my boxer level enother two years or so. but my specialty is the animals. I will video & post the forms that i compete with in compition.
I have played with a southern mantis instructor out side of chicago (Bambooforest) or something like that, the first time I played with him was in 1999. 1 year before my tai liu animal trainging started. my mantis at that time had many of the pricibles that was displayed. I spoke with this instructor in 2004 and dicoused the posiblity of a conection between the two southern art.. he is addimit that they where not, he went on to say that the "real" southern mantis would never "need" two know anouther animale.

all speak how i feel about that if you want.

Ill post what can

also If you post on the the Tailiu web page and ask sigung all your questions. He is the Grand master and says things straight off the sholder.

#266450 - 11/15/06 05:53 PM Re: Southern Praying Mantis!!! [Re: tailiugug]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
haha yea the permission thing comes with the respect you have to show to your master and stuff. I don't teach a class up here at college because I never asked my sifu to do so. I'm just allowed to teach basics to a small number of people up here for my own sake, also because I want to expose the art more.

The mantis you speak of is Jook Lum. Theres 4 different Southern Mantis arts: Jook Lum, Chow Ga, Chu Ga, & Iron Ox.

Well I can't discredit what the guy said, I'm sure hes much more versed in Mantis than I am. I can understand what hes saying though, the 4 mantis systems are very developed and are unsupplemented. But I mean Northern Mantis is pretty developed too and its part of the Shaolin animals too. But what do I know? haha

Lookin forward to see your clips

#266451 - 12/10/06 11:01 AM Re: Southern Praying Mantis!!! [Re: IExcalibui2]
tailiugug Offline

Greetings.

let me speek alittle about the mantis training in tai liu. I will speek about the form I am working on now it is number three of seven (note each form is based on 9 men attacking) in this form there are some key conepts that are worked on. one it quick jurking motion or faking/taunting motion. this is done 2 to 4 times before each attacker. it helps develope a instant power transfer from grownd to hands or forarms, anouther constent through out this form is a stepping tech. that is done while stepping over a dead attacker while prepareing for the next. as for strikes they are geared mostly to vital areas in the legs and arms with a few with a few to the neck and organs allso there is two neck breaks and two shoulder dislocations using the hooking short power. in other forms the theme change in form one of the mantis multiple uses of (weeving hands) are worked. as well the differnt striking posture of the hands arms & feet

Each animal is a complete martail art and can be taught completly alone but it is traditonal to learn two animals to have a balance. this is a very old art that dates to the 14th century , and that is where the problem starts with conecting it to the other southern forms of mantis becuase they are not that old. so I make no claims to be conected to them but I am very currious to what might be familair or different between them.

#266452 - 12/17/06 07:20 PM Re: Southern Praying Mantis!!! [Re: tailiugug]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

hmm..I cant help but think to relate your art to 5 ancestors but I dont think its the same. But if you can somehow get some clips up or happen to find any videos online please share. I'm probably just as curious as you are about the similarities and differences between the mantis that I have encountered and grown to know and yours. I won't doubt that there are some similarities as most southern arts share something in common in relation to their punching and stance.

#266453 - 12/20/06 11:15 PM Re: Southern Praying Mantis!!! [Re: IExcalibui2]
tailiugug Offline

Thanks for your reply
I agree that there has to be some simalerities in our arts like maybe?? elbows held relaxed and down and close to body, shoulders kept square, feet often in a pigion or toes in posture. ect.
I would like to post some clips but dont have any idea how to do this I do have a very good video cam but after that. well lets say Im a gungfu guy not a computer tech. if you or someone can walk me through this I will post some clips

train hard and always remember to smile

#266454 - 01/12/07 06:02 AM Re: Southern Praying Mantis!!! [Re: tailiugug]
jonwade Offline

Loc: Essex, UK
Interesting vids - but remember there is usually much more to a style that you can see in one video. Mantis often incoorporates circulr movements (such as swimming dragons) to help balance the style, and also to counter opponents that attack direct (other mantis fighters and WC for example).

But mantis and WC are obviously much more closely related than WC an a northern Shaolin style.

#266455 - 01/14/07 03:40 AM Re: Southern Praying Mantis!!! [Re: jonwade]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

ah a fellow Chow Ga practitioner, are u part of that other forum too?? (PM me about it)

well the videos can no way sum up the system. I made the thread simply to introduce SPM to the people in the forum seeing that the art was pretty much considered non-existent.

And I'm surprised at how similar SPM & WC are. Considering they are both 2 different arts with 2 different origins (as far as we know). And the Hakka dont have big numbers in Fujian. I mean all Hakka arts carry a similar feel but thats because they are all Hakka. People from Fujian lived in a different circle and yet came up with an art extremely similar to SPM. They both focus and approach things differently but in the end its practically the same.

#266456 - 01/18/09 05:38 PM Re: Southern Praying Mantis!!! [Re: IExcalibui2]
tonglongfoo Offline
Stranger

vid 4 is actualy a Chu Gar form

#266457 - 01/18/09 05:48 PM Re: Southern Praying Mantis!!! [Re: tonglongfoo]
tonglongfoo Offline
Stranger

#266458 - 03/17/09 12:58 AM Re: Southern Praying Mantis!!! [Re: tonglongfoo]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

welcome to the FA forums!
seeing that you have some knowledge in SPM, mind if I ask where you're training at and what kind of mantis?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga