FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 20 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#265091 - 06/23/06 10:51 AM Re: opinions on muhammad ali's style of boxing? [Re: Ayub]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
no most of his talking came when he went professional and especially when he beat sunny liston. But his taunting is a great part of his strategy. Seems to me he not only knows how to work the ring and his techniques but also his opponent, meaning they are in his control. If he wants ot make them mad then they'll get mad, make them think they're winning? he can do that too. Make them drop to the ground, easy. He knew their stamina, their strength, and weaknesses. He combined everything in his knowledge into the fight.

#265092 - 06/23/06 01:58 PM Re: opinions on muhammad ali's style of boxing? [Re: IExcalibui2]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Ali trashed talked the same reason all fighters still trash talk today : It sells tickets.

#265093 - 06/23/06 02:22 PM Re: opinions on muhammad ali's style of boxing? [Re: Leo_E_49]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

I'm not an Ali fan; in fact, I only did a bit of research on him because of this thread. (Hardly knew anything about him) But anyone who can dodge a jab by judging its range like this has to be good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj9JyK6VmuM&search=muhammad%20ali

Great vid, Leo. The master in action!

#265094 - 06/23/06 02:33 PM Re: opinions on muhammad ali's style of boxing? [Re: MattJ]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
You know, I grew up watching him fight on TV. Even as a kid, I was impressed by him. Ali was a force, and I think that his actions and words contributed greatly to the times. He was especially interesting whenever that twerp Howard Cosell (sp?) was on his case.

I thought he was magnificent.

#265095 - 06/23/06 04:48 PM Re: opinions on muhammad ali's style of boxing? [Re: MattJ]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Quote:

Great vid, Leo. The master in action!

Think that one was good, this clip's short but mind boggling: (Ali dancing )

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7760538078474706388&q=muhammad+ali

His style is poetry in motion. Anyone know what documentary that was? I'd like to get a copy of it.

Edited by Leo_E_49 (06/23/06 04:50 PM)

#265096 - 06/23/06 06:07 PM Re: opinions on muhammad ali's style of boxing? [Re: Leo_E_49]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
I always thought Ali was a tremendous fighter, and was overmatched by his mouth, and he let it get away from him on many occasions.

His greatest mistake was thinking that nobody was watching when Joe Frazier knocked him backward over his heels in one of their fights and he attributed it to "stumbling"... Frazier hit him so hard it made him straighten his legs until his knees locked, and then he fell backward over his heels, but he "stumbled"...

When he first started "snapping" his punches, he was training in TKD with Jhoon Rhee. The story was told, but unverified, that at one workout, Ali knocked Rhee out, and left for the dressing room. When he came to, Rhee followed him and called him back, and told him "Class not over", and proceeded to knock him out during the TKD class.

As for Ali's style of boxing, I think he pared it down to whoever his opponent was, and changed it accordingly. "Stand up" fighters that stayed in one place got the "dance"; those that were "bob and weave" type, got the straight in advance and retreat; those that moved around got hemmed up in the corners, so he took away whatever their strongest weapon was, and used his mouth to not only intimidate the fighters, but to make the public see something other than a fighter out there... it was either a hero or a pariah, depending on whether or not you liked him.

Here's a picture of Ali...

#265097 - 06/23/06 06:20 PM Re: opinions on muhammad ali's style of boxing? [Re: Leo_E_49]
Ayub Offline
heartbreaker, lifetaker

Loc: London, UK
The footwork in that clip was amazing. Perfect to keep him out of range except when he wanted.

#265098 - 06/24/06 05:02 AM Re: opinions on muhammad ali's style of boxing? [Re: Prizewriter]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
I remember an interview on BBC (I think) where an ordinary fan was out walking his little daughter when he met Ali on a training run. He introduced him to his daughter and told her, "This is the greatest boxer in the world". Ali got down next to the little girl and said, "I only say I'm the greatest because it sells tickets".

I always thought it was a sign of how Ali's trash-talking was not meant to be taken too seriously by the way he parodied himself in adverts on TV:

There was the burger one where he is ranting away "I'm so great I don't realise how great I am!" and his mother tells him to shut up and eat his burger "fills even the biggest mouths". Then there was the Unigate milk adverts with the Humphries (straws that drank your unigate milk)where he recited his poems... Brut aftershave etc.

Of course, his trash-talking didn't amuse Smoking Joe, who apparently still hasn't forgiven him.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga