FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Today at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#265081 - 06/21/06 02:38 PM Re: opinions on muhammad ali's style of boxing? [Re: tyas]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
As mentioned he was unique, his style of boxing takes mounds of stamina, fortitude and probably natural or un-natural abilities. He broke all the rules hands down, lean back and being as fast as he was hands and feet. He was a brillant tactican and technically sound though unorthodox.

Was he the greatest, by his own admission he admire Sugar Ray Robinson, who he and I think was the greatest. But as a heavyweight dispalying the sweet science he was a marvel. When young able to knock people out while going backwards.

I have to rate Ali in the top 5 or 10 HWs ever just by his skill, rein against top level competition, imagine playing while somebodies trying to murder you, he was able make good/great fighters look lame or normal. As he got older he was normal except for his understanding of boxing. W/o his footwork he started taking too many blows. I thought Foreman was gonna kill him. Thats made him greater, doing what most people thought was impossible after Foreman destroyed Norton and Frazier.

Bruce Lee use to marvel at how he used his footwork as a defense and still be able to strike. Lee was not easily impressed.

Have you tried to mimmick ALI's stlye with a Friend, I can't last 2 rounds its almost impossible for a HW to be that fit, fast, smooth and forget about playing. I can do 6 3 minutes rounds, easy normally. Imagine some one trying to really hurt you. Ali was a Bad Man from a technocail boxing stand point actually a phonomenon as HW.

Middleweights and welterweights fight like that not HWs.

The Con: I really wasn't that impress with his KO power, as he aged.

#265082 - 06/21/06 06:43 PM Re: opinions on muhammad ali's style of boxing? [Re: Prizewriter]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
yea I would have to agree that his type of boxing isn't found in anybody else. He practically had his hands at his hips and dared you to punch him, and yet you couldnt. And even though his hands were so low he could catch you with a jab from a mile away.

His style was great and honestly I think it would only work for him since no one can match that kind of speed and reaction time. And not to mention his great stamina that kept him in the ring for so long without getting tired.

#265083 - 06/21/06 08:52 PM Re: opinions on muhammad ali's style of boxing? [Re: IExcalibui2]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
I'm not an Ali fan; in fact, I only did a bit of research on him because of this thread. (Hardly knew anything about him) But anyone who can dodge a jab by judging its range like this has to be good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj9JyK6VmuM&search=muhammad%20ali

Insane! I've never even heard of someone doing that. I know how fast jabs come, I can't imagine personally dodging one from within jabbing range like that. He just shuffled back out of the way, looks like less than an inch from breaking his nose. That guy walks the finest line between being hit and dodging the punch completely. It seems like he's so good at reading his opponents it's almost as if he's pre-cognisant.

I imagine fighting him would be like you're trying your hardest and you're certain you should have hit but in fact you're hitting nothing but air. I suppose it's a combination of the fact that his upper body is so fast it's unreal, in combination with really good footwork and distancing. Takes a lot of guts to walk a line as fine as that.

Edit: I just saw him dodge 4-5 punches in succession just by moving his head. I didn't even think that was possible! I'd be shocked if I was his opponent and this happened, I imagine the first thing that would go through my head would be "why haven't I won yet?".

Wish I could learn how to do that. If you had reflexes like that, a lot of the knife disarms you see in MA could be made to work with much less risk of getting cut.

#265084 - 06/21/06 08:56 PM Re: opinions on muhammad ali's style of boxing? [Re: Mike_L]
adaca Offline

Nope

He was a you say cocky to draw the crowd.
Before he came along boxing wasnt as rich
He was an excellent boxer.
Depends who he would have fought in a steet fight.
But why let a million pound earner loose on a bunch of none earning street fighters?

#265085 - 06/21/06 09:06 PM Re: opinions on muhammad ali's style of boxing? [Re: Taison]
adaca Offline

Most of Ali's skills go way back to early boxing days.
Nothing new in leaning forward on to the front leg striking then sinking back out of range to describe one of his techniques(float like a butterfly sting like a bee)

Ali was always open to a left hook, one of his flaws used by Henry Cooper(floored Ali) and Joe Frazier.

Not to sure If JKD was around in the 1920's?

#265086 - 06/21/06 09:30 PM Re: opinions on muhammad ali's style of boxing? [Re: adaca]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Quote:

Most of Ali's skills go way back to early boxing days.
Nothing new in leaning forward on to the front leg striking then sinking back out of range to describe one of his techniques(float like a butterfly sting like a bee)

Ali was always open to a left hook, one of his flaws used by Henry Cooper(floored Ali) and Joe Frazier.

Not to sure If JKD was around in the 1920's?

I agree, this is the principle behind dodging strikes in general. However, I've only ever encountered people dodging kicks in general and punches from the rear hand. Also, when the video is in slow motion, you can see that Ali appears to be responding to his opponent quite some time before the guy jabs. If this is instinct, his intuition is spot on. Not only is he fast enough to dodge the punches (I'll warrant that there are plenty of people fast enough to do it), but he also is perceptive enough and level-headed enough to predict them during an actual match. I don't think I or anyone I know could manage to have that kind of perception at such high speed in a match.

#265087 - 06/22/06 03:57 AM Re: opinions on muhammad ali's style of boxing? [Re: Leo_E_49]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Sup Leo! Long time no see my next-door neighbour! Welcome to the boxing forum!

Yes, I agree. We boxers set out rules and theories such as, bobbing your head while the opponent gives a jab and to return with a cross. For us, it's just a bunch of theories that rarely worked, but for Ali, he made it his lunch. Everything we thought was impossible, he did and on daily basis.

The thing I was impressed with is that Ali is able to actually stare down a jab. That's a fine line he's walking on. He can see the punch coming, move his head back a little, then return the favor onto his opponent. That's some great technique.

-Taison out

#265088 - 06/22/06 06:16 AM Re: opinions on muhammad ali's style of boxing? [Re: Leo_E_49]
adaca Offline

I think Ali would have done his home work on a fighter before his matches so knowing what the fighter had and didnt have. I think that the top boxers study their art as well as training in their art. Namely from boxers past and present

#265089 - 06/22/06 06:03 PM Re: opinions on muhammad ali's style of boxing? [Re: tyas]
tyas Offline

maybe he could dodge easily because he could read his opponets emotions..since sum of them were so [censored] off at him ...... it was funny to hear sum of his comments he used to make names for all of his opponets ex "big ugly bear" "the mummy"

#265090 - 06/22/06 06:40 PM Re: opinions on muhammad ali's style of boxing? [Re: tyas]
Ayub Offline
heartbreaker, lifetaker

Loc: London, UK
I think this might be a determining factor but it was mainly because of his skill. He had a good amateur (Olympic Champ) and childhood boxing career, he never taunted his opponents then (I assume).

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga