FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 10 of 14 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#262807 - 10/23/06 06:33 AM Re: Straight blast [Re: Chen Zen]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

So after watching and "researching" various strategies what is your opinion exactly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c8yKtgajww

This is what I was refering to. Is this what you would call straight blast.About 11 fights in Vitor Belfort I presume?

#262808 - 10/23/06 07:09 AM Re: Straight blast [Re: ANDY44]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

lol...you really are a piece of work. keep watching videos andy, you'll be a fighter for da 5tr33t in no time.

on topic: the 'straight-blast' at 0:37 was cool.

#262809 - 10/23/06 08:38 AM Re: Straight blast [Re: Ed_Morris]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

lol...you really are a piece of work. keep watching videos andy, you'll be a fighter for da 5tr33t in no time.

on topic: the 'straight-blast' at 0:37 was cool.

LOL. does that mean I am not already there?
Gee well I never! Well may my heavy bag be tied to a street light structure and may (nearly) all my sparring be shined upon by the light given off by the higher atomic orbital of electrons in the filament material of a standard street light.

Any how I presume that is what the JKD guys call a "straight blast"?

So to the topic "straight blast". Your thoughts then ED?

#262810 - 10/23/06 09:59 AM Re: Straight blast [Re: ANDY44]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

ok, I'll bite. 'straight blast' works best against someone in retreat. maybe they haven't physically retreated yet, but you can tell by a hesitation that their mind is telling them to retreat. constant forward pressure usually isn't the smartest thing to do, but it works well in order to tip the psychological advantage your way that was starting when the opponent hesitated. why give them a chance to step back and regroup? overwhelm them with a constant forward assault before they have time to get it together. it works, but not when they are ready for it.

the tactic is called 'blitz'. it's not new. it's an oldie but goodie.

#262811 - 10/23/06 11:59 AM Re: Straight blast [Re: Ed_Morris]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

ok, I'll bite. 'straight blast' works best against someone in retreat. maybe they haven't physically retreated yet, but you can tell by a hesitation that their mind is telling them to retreat. constant forward pressure usually isn't the smartest thing to do, but it works well in order to tip the psychological advantage your way that was starting when the opponent hesitated. why give them a chance to step back and regroup? overwhelm them with a constant forward assault before they have time to get it together. it works, but not when they are ready for it.

the tactic is called 'blitz'. it's not new. it's an oldie but goodie.

I can see your point.
I think the one on the video is termed as a "boxing blast"
On the video Silvia has charged at Balfort with his hands so wide open a bus could get through. No defence what so ever. Balfort has hit Silvia with a back hand left then a right punching combination and Silvia had began to run backwards off balance with Balfort chasing and hitting until Balfort hit the cage.

Silvia should have had a better guard. And why did he go charging in like that with no cover?
What could Silvia do after the first punch to stop further punching? Nothing. He was stunned and overwhelmed so running back wards was his survival mode.

Edited by ANDY44 (10/23/06 12:30 PM)

#262812 - 10/23/06 12:10 PM Re: Straight blast [Re: TeK9]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

hehe, I just got the video of Paul Vanuks straight blast. Good Stuff.

Hi there.
So what would you say is the difference between Paul Vanuks straight blast. and the one posted on the cage fight video?.

#262813 - 10/23/06 05:49 PM Re: Straight blast [Re: ANDY44]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Well the video was removed for copyright infringement before I could see it. Sure, the straight blast works on a retreating opponent. Sometimes it works on an opponent who is pressuring forward, but weakly. However, be all end all, hardly. Also Andy, there is a difference in what is called a straight blast and a boxing blast. The latter taking the place of the former in the JKD curriculum.

#262814 - 10/23/06 10:44 PM Re: Straight blast [Re: Stormdragon]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Quote:

So, how EXACTLY (as best as you can out in in text form) do you straight blast? I mean maechanics, foot work, punching at multiple targets or one area, etc.
I think I got it but I'm not sure. I've been working on it hard (also the boxing blast has been a staple drill of mine now) but when I do it I almost charge my opponent kind of running throwing rapid straight punches alternate to the leg I'm stepping with, and I punch a several different targets. Is this about right?
Also, I have a problem with gettign nailed with groin kicks sometimes and straigth kicks both mid and low. What can I do to deal with this issue?

My qustion still stands for anyone who would like to answer.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#262815 - 10/23/06 10:59 PM Re: Straight blast [Re: Stormdragon]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Quote:

Quote:

So, how EXACTLY (as best as you can out in in text form) do you straight blast? I mean maechanics, foot work, punching at multiple targets or one area, etc.
I think I got it but I'm not sure. I've been working on it hard (also the boxing blast has been a staple drill of mine now) but when I do it I almost charge my opponent kind of running throwing rapid straight punches alternate to the leg I'm stepping with, and I punch a several different targets. Is this about right?
Also, I have a problem with gettign nailed with groin kicks sometimes and straigth kicks both mid and low. What can I do to deal with this issue?

My qustion still stands for anyone who would like to answer.

I thought someone would give a stab at it. Since not, Ill give it a go. You did a fairly good job yourself. The footwork is more important than any other aspect of the technique. It must charge forward and it must be fast to be successful. If you are getting kicked without your opponent moving offline then either your footwork is too slow or you engaged at too far away. Also from your description it sounded as if you moved with one leg forward the whole time. This isnt good. While much JKD emphasizes a strong forward this isnt an absolute. Nothing is. So the way you would ideally work it would be out of your "ready" stance. This will likely resemble a modified boxers stance. To attack you, your opponent must come to you. This is a directional committment. Once he has comitted by stepping forwards or back meet him and intercept with the first strike of the blast. This is important.I would never follow up with another shot if this isnt achieved. Now you have landed the blow, accelerate forward alternating shots making sure to get good torque in your shots. Im a headhunter myself but you could also use a body shot after the intial hit. Get close and attack his center hard and fast and its likely that he will fall. Giving you optimum positioning.

#262816 - 10/24/06 04:12 AM Re: Straight blast [Re: Stormdragon]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Hi Storm. Sounds like you are training hard and getting good training advise.

Quote from Chen Zen

Well the video was removed for copyright infringement before I could see it. Sure, the straight blast works on a retreating opponent. Sometimes it works on an opponent who is pressuring forward, but weakly. However, be all end all, hardly. Also Andy, there is a difference in what is called a straight blast and a boxing blast. The latter taking the place of the former in the JKD curriculum.

So the JKD curriculum now uses the boxing blast.
I have been reading a book by Sifu Lamar M. Davis.
a lot of what he says makes good sense.
But that is going somewhat off topic.

Thanks

Andy

Edited by ANDY44 (10/24/06 04:22 AM)

Page 10 of 14 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga