FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 2
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
Today at 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Today at 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432494 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 11 of 14 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#262817 - 10/24/06 09:10 AM Re: Straight blast [Re: ANDY44]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Quote:

Quote:

Quote from Chen Zen

Well the video was removed for copyright infringement before I could see it. Sure, the straight blast works on a retreating opponent. Sometimes it works on an opponent who is pressuring forward, but weakly. However, be all end all, hardly. Also Andy, there is a difference in what is called a straight blast and a boxing blast. The latter taking the place of the former in the JKD curriculum.

So the JKD curriculum now uses the boxing blast.

Primarily yes, though not exclusively.

edited to fix quote

Edited by MattJ (10/25/06 03:09 PM)

#262818 - 10/24/06 06:51 PM Re: Straight blast [Re: Chen Zen]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
So start the blast when he engages me, using quick forward movement or when he moves back a little? And I think you're right, I tend to engage with the blast from quite a way back, like several feet. I think that's my problem, and I'm still a bit slow.
Yep Andy, training is going pretty well, although I dont get to spar hard nearly enough anymore as my best partners aren't around right now. I just did a few rounds of sparring for a half hour the other night with a friend of mine, and we went very hard, but it was the first time in weeks I think.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#262819 - 10/24/06 08:00 PM Re: Straight blast [Re: Stormdragon]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Yes thats right. Its a little trickier when he is moving backwards as it makes for more ground to make up. To set it up on the retreat without getting hit you must have a serious attack directed at him. Preferably one that has landed. For example, lets say you are sparring and working the other guys legs pretty good. He will take notice of this after a few shots and if he is trained well enough then he will do one of two things. He will raise the leg to absorb the blow or he will step back. If he is real good he will move forward but thats another discussion. Anyways, fake one, and when he goes to absorb the blow or to evade it, already have your mind made up to advance upon him. This works alot. Especially if he is taking the impact by raising his leg. Before he can move away from the blast he must put his foot back down. This is his mistake. Abuse it to destroy his balance or at least get a few solid shots in.

#262820 - 10/25/06 11:14 AM Re: Straight blast [Re: Chen Zen]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Hey that's a great tactic, I use it pretty often to. I use usually just fake one low kick to the legs then sort of jump forward and come down on him over his guard with punches. It's been pretty effective.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#262821 - 10/29/06 07:25 PM Re: Straight blast [Re: Stormdragon]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

What happens when the other guy simply covers up on oyur straigth blast and you cant get in? Do you just switch to hooks, uppercuts and grappling or what?

#262822 - 10/29/06 07:29 PM Re: Straight blast [Re: Stormdragon]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
The straight blast is designed to close the distance. Think of it as "cover fire". Once you've closed that distance, you can clinch. If he's covering up, he's not striking you. You have some options: You can run. You can clinch and throw knees. You can take him down.

-John

#262823 - 10/29/06 11:41 PM Re: Straight blast [Re: JKogas]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Ah gotcha. If your opponent has a good guard, whats the best way to get around it, or through it if need be?

#262824 - 10/30/06 07:37 AM Re: Straight blast [Re: Stormdragon]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Some would say that's where the "trapping" comes in. Conceptually this is correct. If they're covering up on the blast (hands come up to shield) you would have to "remove the obstruction", thus "trapping".

However that works in theory and doesn't usually play out in practice as nice and tidy as it does when people teach it in training. That’s because people resist more in fighting application than they do when you’re in “learning mode”. You have to take it “live” and go against someone really sparring you back.

One thing I've noticed is the straight blast while fast, doesn't really generate a lot of power. This is why many are using the boxing blast now. Either way, when you blast and come in on your opponent, you will be in the clinch. Thus it’s important to have a good clinch game, because that's where you'll be fighting from that point on. This is particularly true when you are using it against a worthy opponent.

Again, the best use of the straight blast is as a offensive, defense. Use it as cover-fire as you’re closing the distance to get INTO the clinch (unless you are using it to create an avenue for escape). Thus you will be entering the clinch as an objective and not just having it “happen” coincidentally.

One strategy is to blast into the clinch and look for the muay Thai plumm position or an underhook and collar tie (“pinch”). Once there begin throwing knees. For self-defense, grab their hair (if they have any) and use the grip as you would a plumm. Throw knees to the face or groin and not the mid-section.

If they’re wearing a jacket (or even a shirt if you can grab it), grab the material behind the neck and use THAT for control (hockey style). Pull the material up over his head as you have him bent forward. Throw knees. Pull him straight down or twist him to the pavement and hit a knee-ride or run away.

-John

#262825 - 10/30/06 10:09 PM Re: Straight blast [Re: JKogas]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

See I think I've been blasting at the wrong time. I just start blasting right from the get go rather than setting it up and using it propery. There's one of my issues.

#262826 - 10/30/06 11:46 PM Re: Straight blast [Re: Stormdragon]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

How is the boxing blast more powerful and effective?

Page 11 of 14 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga