FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
Jeff_G 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#262242 - 06/10/06 01:41 PM taking it to a new level.
roninmonk Offline

Loc: Anderson IN
hello geltlemen, ladies too.
i've recently been promoted to black belt it my system chinese martial arts and i love my style and my teacher, but ive reached a point where everyone is afraid to spar me, so i recently went to a saturday class at a mma school. it was interesting to say the least. the instructor spoke of compassion and non violence yet acted like a pychopath. he asked me to spar and of course i agreed. he reqeusted 15% power with one of his top students and i obliged. after squareing off i preceed to get cracked in the nose with a 50% shot. i shake it off and finish the match then the techer request to go a round with me. once again i oblige(if your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough)this round last 8 1/2 mins and was basically him tapping me then swinging for the fences. ive got no problem with training hard and heavy but is it just me of does all mma work this way, hey welcome take a broken nose home has a lovely parting gift.
P.S. i dont want to seem weak and not show up again but this seems a little less like training a little more like hey im gonna beat the crap out you because i can..

#262243 - 06/10/06 01:57 PM Re: taking it to a new level. [Re: roninmonk]
Mr_Heretik Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bronx NY, USA
That doesn't sound too good. Did they know you had MA experience? Or did they not know and decided to beat up a newbie(at least in thir eyes)? After the first hit, I would've just hit them as hard as they hit me. Besides, that was SPARRING. Full contact or not, no school should go all out on someone on their first day, and request 15% power before breaking somebody's nose.

If those guys are as insane as you make them sound, then A) don't show up again or B) show up and go all out if you have to.

Keep us updated.

#262244 - 06/10/06 03:20 PM Re: taking it to a new level. [Re: roninmonk]
SEAL Offline

What is the name of this school? Off the top of my head, the only school that hits hard without protection is the Dog Brothers, and even those sessions are infrequent.

#262245 - 06/10/06 06:23 PM Re: taking it to a new level. [Re: roninmonk]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote by Roninmonk -

Quote:

he reqeusted 15% power with one of his top students and i obliged. after squareing off i preceed to get cracked in the nose with a 50% shot.

Are you certain he didn't say 50%, and you thought he said 15%? That seems more likely than the guy being a psychopath. I have yet to meet a "Cobra-Kai" MMA type.

#262246 - 06/10/06 07:35 PM Re: taking it to a new level. [Re: MattJ]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Quote:

Quote by Roninmonk -

Quote:

he reqeusted 15% power with one of his top students and i obliged. after squareing off i preceed to get cracked in the nose with a 50% shot.

Are you certain he didn't say 50%, and you thought he said 15%? That seems more likely than the guy being a psychopath. I have yet to meet a "Cobra-Kai" MMA type.

Regardless, beating up new students is never a good sign.

#262247 - 06/10/06 09:40 PM Re: taking it to a new level. [Re: Leo_E_49]
roninmonk Offline

Loc: Anderson IN
i am quite positve of the request for 15% because i made the digits with my fingers as in 1 and 5. its odd you said Kobra-kai though cuz after i left that was the first image that popped in my head. im not new to the game nor am i new to getting blasted in the face, but generally thats something i've worked up to with people, i want to progress and improve but at the sacrifce of what. the thing is that they said i'd be great for their "heavyweight" a person known in are town(60,000 strong ,small but not to small) for violence and steroid use. Now two things pop in my head 1. i really dont want to be this pain-killered up retards chew toy 2. the coach asked me before i left what i would do if he or "mongo" came up to me in an alley what would i do, i stated "shoot you" he chuckled then secured me by my wind-pipe. he said it was his way of defusing street situations but in my mind i cant get the nagging thought of self-doubt that if this guy came up to me what would i do.
i guess me main qeustion is this: i know i need to improve and get more contact but do i train in the trenches with the animals just to learn to beat the animals or can I improve in power and prowess without changing my facial structure, im kinda cute and i'd like to keep it that way . thanx for the post's ladies and gents.

#262248 - 06/10/06 10:59 PM Re: taking it to a new level. [Re: roninmonk]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
The guy sounds like a complete idiot. Don't train with him is my advice.

An abusive training environment is more likely to hinder your progress than help it. Find a Dojo which isn't filled with losers who are so insecure they'd assault a new student.

Believe me when I say there are plenty of good full-contact Dojos where the training is hard but the people are respectful and friendly. This is the kind of place you're likely to learn well because you will want to put your best effort in to match your friends' abilities. Also, you can focus on improving your technique instead of constantly watching your own back.

Edited by Leo_E_49 (06/10/06 11:01 PM)

#262249 - 06/10/06 11:00 PM Re: taking it to a new level. [Re: roninmonk]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: kokokokokoko
Sounds like you are only too comfortable in your comfort zone. You are not really asking for advice, you are looking for validation of the choice you already made.
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts. Note: The Signature feature is currently not enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga