FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Matakiant 3
futsaowingchun 3
Zombie Zero 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
Today at 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
Today at 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
Today at 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
Today at 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35577 Topics
432497 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#259983 - 06/08/06 03:34 AM Re: are you serious..... [Re: Mike_L]
SpeedyGonzales Offline

huh?

I think you meant the opposite of that analogy?

#259984 - 06/08/06 08:53 AM Re: are you serious..... [Re: SpeedyGonzales]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Speedy

What?

In what way did I "diss" you and your post?

I was just agreeing with pgsmith.

Sorry if I did not also post an agreement with yours as well.

I do, of course, agree with your statements above as well.

Relax, no slight was meant or intended.

BTW, what I think pgsmith is saying is that if people CHOOSE to be idiots then there is little that he, or anyone else can do about it.
So why lose sleep over it?

And he is right, there is only so much you can do to help people, when they don't want your help.

Personally I think the fakes, frauds, and posers should be run out town on rails--and opposed whereever and whenever they poke their slime coated heads out of their dark, dank, burrows.

But sadly many people are very happy in their ignorance.

Edited by cxt (06/08/06 09:01 AM)

#259985 - 06/08/06 02:00 PM Re: are you serious..... [Re: SpeedyGonzales]
pgsmith Offline

Loc: Texas
Aaargh!!!
I'll try and clarify a few things so perhaps Speedy can understand what I'm saying.
Speedy wrote :
Quote:

... and that's exactly what people did, use jo as an alternative.

To which I said that I've never heard of anyone that did that. I've discussed the sword ban with a couple of different Japanese sensei that were there, as well as several other people whose sensei were there at the time. Many people practiced behind closed doors, but most just stopped until the ban was lifted. Not one ever mentioned using a jo instead. Your family may be Japanese, but that doesn't mean you know squat about the Japanese sword arts. Most Japanese don't.

Speedy wrote :
Quote:

How very ammoral of you.

That is an erroneous statement. It would be amoral of me to hope that someone would injure themselves (sound familiar?), but saying that others should be responsible for themselves has nothing at all to do with morality.
According to you and your strangely warped outlook, to be morally correct I have to try and ensure that others can't injure themselves no matter what they think or want unless I disagree with them, in which case I can hope that they hurt themselves and then I can laugh at them. These are your morals? That's a bit disturbing in my opinion.

#259986 - 06/08/06 08:23 PM Re: are you serious..... [Re: pgsmith]
SpeedyGonzales Offline

1. I'm not Japanese.
2. My grandfather was 3 dan pre-WWII Kendo.
3. Sorry about that last remark, but I was trying to show you how would you feel if someone would just laugh apathetically at you hurting yourself. Not caring is just as ammoral.

#259987 - 06/08/06 09:13 PM Re: are you serious..... [Re: SpeedyGonzales]
pgsmith Offline

Quote:

1. I'm not Japanese.

Well excuse me for making assumptions. Still doesn't mean that you know squat about the Japanese sword arts.
Quote:

My grandfather was 3 dan pre-WWII Kendo.

Good for him! Still doesn't mean that you know squat about the Japanese sword arts.
Quote:

3. Sorry about that last remark, but I was trying to show you how would you feel if someone would just laugh apathetically at you hurting yourself.

Please quote anywhere in my posts where I said I would laugh apathetically. Do not put words in my mouth, especially stupid ones!
Quote:

Not caring is just as ammoral.

I don't care!
Actually, when you grow up some you'll realize that this is an erroneous statement. The reason being that what you care about may be totally different to someone else. I much prefer freedom myself. I like rock climbing. To someone else's way of thinking, it is very dangerous. If that someone else "cared" enough about my well being, they would prevent me from rock climbing so I wouldn't get hurt. Then, they would have taken away my freedom to choose. So, I don't want any of your "caring" thank you, I'd much rather have my freedom. I can live my life just fine without an ounce of caring from you, but I can't live very well if you take away my freedom.

Besides which, there's no such word as ammoral

Edited by pgsmith (06/08/06 09:14 PM)

#259988 - 06/08/06 09:42 PM Re: are you serious..... [Re: pgsmith]
SpeedyGonzales Offline

So you're saying you personally know every single JSA practitioner from 1945 to the end of the ban and that not one of them every practiced jo in the meantime?

Tell me what "squat" you know, please.

P.S. amoral

#259989 - 06/09/06 12:22 AM Re: are you serious..... [Re: SpeedyGonzales]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
Quote:

So you're saying you personally know every single JSA practitioner from 1945 to the end of the ban and that not one of them every practiced jo in the meantime?

P.S. amoral

This is a truly pointless arguement. I'm sorely tempted to lock the thread.

#259990 - 06/09/06 12:25 AM Re: are you serious..... [Re: Charles Mahan]
SpeedyGonzales Offline

self deleted

Edited by SpeedyGonzales (06/09/06 12:30 AM)

#259991 - 06/09/06 11:59 AM Re: are you serious..... [Re: SpeedyGonzales]
pgsmith Offline

Hey Charles,
I know it's pretty pointless, and there isn't much to be gained here. However, it's always kind of fun to watch logic prevail over young people's emotional outbursts. Feel free to lock it if you feel that it has degraded into Monty Pythonesque silliness.

Speedy wrote ...
Quote:

Sword arts were banned even in Japan post WWII, and that's exactly what people did, use jo as an alternative.

Then he wrote ...
Quote:

Well I'm not saying all JSA went to jo, I'm just saying some. I heard of a few practitioners using modified jo as bokken too, though that's uncommon

Then he wrote ...
Quote:

I already warned you about trying to put words in my mouth, and you're still doing it. And they're still stupid!
So, was it people, a few people, one person, or did you simply make it up?

Quote:

If you insist ... I've spoken about the war time sword ban with Yamada Yoshitaka sensei, soke of Shin Shin Sekiguchi ryu battojutsu, Uecki Seiji sensei, who was Kaicho of the Zen Nihon Battodo Renmei, Guy Power sensei, student of Nakamura Taizaburo sensei, Hyakutake Colin sensei, Menkyo Kaidin and student of Imai Masayuki Nobukatsu, soke of Hyoho Niten Ichi ryu. Not one of them ever mentioned anyone using jo to replace their sword art.

I have been practicing the Japanese sword arts since 1995. I am currently ranked Godan in Kobu Shin ryu battojutsu, sandan in Shin Shin Sekiguchi ryu battojutsu, and nidan in the Zen Bei Battodo Renmei, with my test for sandan coming up next month. I run the Kobu Shin Ryu dojo (for good or ill!) and we are members of the U.S. Federation of Battodo, and the Mizu Hi Kobukai.

So, tell me what "squat" you know, please.

Edited by pgsmith (06/09/06 12:02 PM)

#259992 - 06/09/06 12:20 PM Re: are you serious..... [Re: pgsmith]
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

Quote:

Hey Charles,
I know it's pretty pointless, and there isn't much to be gained here. However, it's always kind of fun to watch logic prevail over young people's emotional outbursts. Feel free to lock it if you feel that it has degraded into Monty Pythonesque silliness.

Hate to jump in on an argument that is but this quote was like a slap in the face, so I as a young person would like to respond...

you said
Quote:

...Not one of them ever mentioned anyone using jo to replace their sword art...

Just because they have never "mentioned" it doesn't mean that they never "did" it. Speedy could know something we don't, and arguing about it is completely pointless because unless you know and asked every sensei and practitioner in Japan whether they used a jo instaid of a sword during the sword ban, you will never know whether it happened or not.

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga