FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#259973 - 06/07/06 12:58 PM Re: are you serious..... [Re: pgsmith]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
pgsmith

Excellent post above!

I had a conversation with a guy that runs a martial arts school that was BMW about he could not get get people to take his school "seriously."

I pointed out that his efforts to expand his business--by specfically targeting the "kids" market--flashy uniforms for the kids, doing martial arts at kids birthday parties--in place of a clown--putting 5 and 6 year old "black belts" on TV, dressing his students up in ertz "Power Ranger" costumes for demo's etc.

All excellent marketing tricks--BUT.

He had pretty much shot HIMSELF in the foot as far as "credibilty" went.

The look on his face as he realized that he traded the long term sustainabilty of his school for short term profits was instructive.

People need to realize that in the eyes of the public ALL "martial arts" are pretty much "the same" and what the jerks, skimmers, fly by nighters, ninjer "wannabees", urban "commandos" and "slash and burn" samurai are, in business terms "poisening the well" for the rest of us.

What people do, does NOT just effect them.

Edited by cxt (06/07/06 12:59 PM)

#259974 - 06/07/06 05:59 PM Re: are you serious..... [Re: cxt]
Mike_L Offline

Loc: Rio Rancho NM/Louisville KY (U...
"ninjers" LMAO

#259975 - 06/07/06 07:10 PM Re: are you serious..... [Re: pgsmith]
SpeedyGonzales Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Sword arts were banned even in Japan post WWII, and that's exactly what people did, use jo as an alternative.

Ummm ... no! I'm not sure where you came up with that, but that's not what those sensei that I've talked with have said. They were there, so I have to assume they knew what they were talking about.

Um... yes! For a time during the American occupation sword arts were banned. My family lived in Japan so I'm pretty sure both they and I know what we're talking about.

Quote:

Quote:

The issue is people getting hurt. See my last for for how they get hurt.

Perhaps for you, but that's definitely not the issue for me. People are stupid and hurt themselves all the time. That doesn't really concern me at all except for its impact upon my practice. Everyone needs to be responsible for themselves, and people should not need a father figure to tell them what's stupid and what isn't. My only concern is their impact upon the arts that I practice. If others wish to ride without helmets, stand up in the back of their moving pickups, pull wheelies on the freeway, jump off of buildings, they can go ahead and kill themselves for all of me. As long as their actions don't curtail my ability to do what I wish, then it's only evolution in action. When it starts impacting my freedoms, then I'm going to be perturbed about it.

How very ammoral of you. Well to repect your wishes, I will make an exception for you. I hope you hurt yourself and will gladly take your position of laughing at the irony.

#259976 - 06/07/06 07:12 PM Re: are you serious..... [Re: cxt]
SpeedyGonzales Offline

Quote:

pgsmith

Excellent post above!

I had a conversation with a guy that runs a martial arts school that was BMW about he could not get get people to take his school "seriously."

I pointed out that his efforts to expand his business--by specfically targeting the "kids" market--flashy uniforms for the kids, doing martial arts at kids birthday parties--in place of a clown--putting 5 and 6 year old "black belts" on TV, dressing his students up in ertz "Power Ranger" costumes for demo's etc.

All excellent marketing tricks--BUT.

He had pretty much shot HIMSELF in the foot as far as "credibilty" went.

The look on his face as he realized that he traded the long term sustainabilty of his school for short term profits was instructive.

People need to realize that in the eyes of the public ALL "martial arts" are pretty much "the same" and what the jerks, skimmers, fly by nighters, ninjer "wannabees", urban "commandos" and "slash and burn" samurai are, in business terms "poisening the well" for the rest of us.

What people do, does NOT just effect them.

Did you even read his post? Did you even read my post?

I'm the one saying that one idiot "teacher" can affect the wallet, mind, and body of his idiotic sheep, and pgsmith is the one saying he doesn't care

#259977 - 06/07/06 09:32 PM Re: are you serious..... [Re: SpeedyGonzales]
Sorin Offline

Loc: Oxford, MS
We can debate all day about whether we care about what this one guy does and whether it will affect everyone else,
but if he wants to make his videos or site there isn't anything we can do about it aside from tell people not to use them.
I understand your point that politicians can suck but I'm not completely convinced this one guy here will cause the ban
of all swords. Could it contribute to it if someone got hurt? Possibly. Will someone get hurt? Possibly. There's really
no way to know. I look at this guys sword trick videos to be somewhat similar to those martial arts gymnastic videos
that I've seen on the net. They tell you how to do all these fancy flips and jumps, but I haven't heard of anyone
protesting them much. If this guy makes his videos like the one that was posted, then he is doing tricks, not actually
teaching people how to use a sword. I'm sure a lot of people on this forum know the difference between using a sword
correctly and doing a useless twirl that has nothing to do with using it in any kind of fighting context. I suppose if you
wanted to do something, you could make a rival site that pointed out all of the problems with his and the videos,
although that would also give him some publicity at the same time. If not, we could always debate some more.

Sorin

#259978 - 06/07/06 09:35 PM Re: are you serious..... [Re: SpeedyGonzales]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sword arts were banned even in Japan post WWII, and that's exactly what people did, use jo as an alternative.

Ummm ... no! I'm not sure where you came up with that, but that's not what those sensei that I've talked with have said. They were there, so I have to assume they knew what they were talking about.

Um... yes! For a time during the American occupation sword arts were banned. My family lived in Japan so I'm pretty sure both they and I know what we're talking about.

You kinda missed what Paul was talking about. Of course the sword arts were banned. The sword was used as a symbol of Japanese military power. Banning their practice during the occupation was a part of pacifying the populace. It's truly sad, but an understandable practice on the part of the occupation force.

#259979 - 06/07/06 11:11 PM Re: are you serious..... [Re: Charles Mahan]
SpeedyGonzales Offline

Okay, what did Paul mean then?

Hard thing about forums - miscommunication

#259980 - 06/07/06 11:52 PM Re: are you serious..... [Re: SpeedyGonzales]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
Well you made two assertions. One that practicing JSAs was banned for awhile under the occupation, and two that those who would normally have used swords turned to jos as a standin. That's the part he took issue with, and rightfully so.

Of course, even an official ban on JSA training doesn't mean it ceased altogether. It just went underground.

Edited by Charles Mahan (06/07/06 11:53 PM)

#259981 - 06/08/06 12:35 AM Re: are you serious..... [Re: Charles Mahan]
SpeedyGonzales Offline

Well I'm not saying all JSA went to jo, I'm just saying some. I heard of a few practitioners using modified jo as bokken too, though that's uncommon

#259982 - 06/08/06 12:52 AM Re: are you serious..... [Re: SpeedyGonzales]
Mike_L Offline

Loc: Rio Rancho NM/Louisville KY (U...
But why would you do that? its like cutting an apple with a sword (to eat), it just is not nessacery.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga