FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 12 of 22 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#259129 - 06/06/06 02:16 AM Re: from a wrestling perspective... [Re: BrianS]
adaca Offline

You are one individual

First you state that there is no wrestling in katas then you state about
and karate ka dont roll on the floor then you give a website that states exactly the opposite as to what you have said? Read the website grappling techniques do exist in katas grappling is wrestling

dont waste my time

can I complain about this guy ??

#259130 - 06/06/06 02:23 AM Re: from a wrestling perspective... [Re: adaca]
edecco Offline

i don't know this is getting a lil too personal for me. I was looking for exchange of info and a lil debate.

#259131 - 06/06/06 02:28 AM Re: from a wrestling perspective... [Re: kusojiji]
edecco Offline

hey kusojiji,

Since you have trained with karateka but are a wrestler. What would you say would freak you out most if you were a wrestler that never trained with karateka? I mean what would stun you more or make you worry most about what would happen be it a "fish hook" "throat shot" whatever.

#259132 - 06/06/06 02:29 AM Re: from a wrestling perspective... [Re: edecco]
edecco Offline

keep in mind you know nothing of karate.

#259133 - 06/06/06 02:42 AM Re: from a wrestling perspective... [Re: Stormdragon]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
A good skilled wrestler WILL take you down almost without fail if you just stand there and try to hit them. Those kata grappling defense moves may work sometimes but rarely, especially against a much larger opponent, whereas wrestling takedown defenses work quite well against larger opponents. Having wrestled two years, against some very, very good wrestlers, I know how hard it is to defend a takedown that's well set up.

Stromdragon - What I really hate about discussion like this is that one side decides that nobody knows how to wrestle, Jujitsu or Judo, but them. Its not a secret art. I've been wrestling since the 1970s and practicing Judo and Karate.
What made me a better Karateman was the wrestling and Judo workouts. Do you really think that shooting is something new? I've training against some pretty good wrestlers, grapplers and Judo player, I know the ins and out of grappling. Its a strenous method of fighting. Now unlike you I won't try to deternmine what you know or don't know. Obvisously you don't think nobody knows how to wrestle/grapple if they know Karate. I beg to differ. I know what works for me. I hope you know what works for you.

Kusojiji - No, there aren't. There are strikers who want to think they are impossible to take down. The kind of painful disappointment that results from such an attitude is what I'd like to see you avoid.

Have you ever heard of Chuck Liddel do you remember what he did to my home boy SUPER wrestler Randy Coulter in the last two recent Light Heavyweight Championship fights. I know you will argue they are skilled at both ends, but really what are their specailty. I rest my case.

Believe what you want but don't try to force on others.

Edited by Neko456 (06/06/06 02:43 AM)

#259134 - 06/06/06 02:47 AM Re: from a wrestling perspective... [Re: edecco]
adaca Offline

So was I
seems like some people cant just do that
but never mind

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8827766451613800901&q=karate

Perhaps look at this vidio and see what people make of it?

#259135 - 06/06/06 03:11 AM Re: from a wrestling perspective... [Re: adaca]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
LOL....Wow! Why don't you just attack me adaca,whoever you are.

Let me try and answer some of you questions.

Quote:

From the comments you made it shows the extent or rather none extent of your martial art skills.How would you know what a kata is used for? and you contradict your self.

Yes,I do contradict myself alot.Sue me.

Quote:

Why do people in karate train open hand knife hand etc although in your mind they cant be used because they cant be trained live?

So in effect you are saying the very techniques devised are useless?

Not useless,just not as likely to be used as those that are trained frequently. If you can't train it then it's just theory.

Quote:

You wear gloves to sparr with ?

Is that becasue you choose not to condition your hands?

I do wear gloves to spar with.To keep from cutting myself and my sparring parners so we can spar some more. I doubt they would appreciate me punching them in the face with bare knuckles.

Quote:

Why do you use the term we???

We as in who??

I didn't realize I did so much. I suppose I'm talking about myself and my group.

Quote:

Are you not the same man whose answer to what would you do against some karate full contact fighters shown on vidio on this forum some time back was to use your takedown/floor/ground work/ skills ?? or you stated because you were better on the floor?
Its might be in the archives?
You would go to the floor?
Isnt that rolling about on the floor?

because you had better ground skills??

I might have,I might have,I don't know,yes,and I do have better groundskills than most karateka I have come across.

Quote:

The man who would rather not use kicks because he didnt train them?

I do use five basic kicks. If you look at the thread where I visited oldman I am kicking during a sparring session. In a real situation though I doubt I'd do much kicking.

Quote:

The same man who suggests to a pacifist they shouldnt do martial arts? because of their beliefs?

I might have said that,so..???

Quote:

On the whole brian and looking back at your input in to most discussions over the years on this website spells one thing to me

You dont know what you are talking about

K..you are entitled to your opinion.

Quote:

Brian a lot of work has been done by excellent karateka
In fact I have a vidio here of top japanese karate ka
performing kata then bunkai rolling about as you put it on the floor because that is what the techniques were intended for.

If you say so,adaca.

Quote:

Ok Brain i see you are more interested in golf than karate Perhaps then give me an explanation as to what Tekki can be used for?

Actually I think golf is a waste of time and space of land and I don't practice tekki. I practice the taikyoku series,sanchin,tensho,seiunchin,sanseru,and a bo kata.

Quote:

I have the black and white film of early masters using it with bunkia?

Cool.

Quote:

Brain you have to be the most closed minded person who has ever attempted to write on any karate forum so
do me a favour either put up or shut up or stick to golf.

Put up or shut up? Okay...my door is open adaca,if you want to train just pm me or shoot me and email. I have no idea who or where you are though.
As far as being close minded I don't know what makes you think that. I am completely open minded to new training concepts and I know what works for me and what doesn't.

I can't really put down in words what I'm trying to get across sometimes and I'm really not that bright,perhaps that's part of the reason I stepped down as moderator...?? Thanks for pointing all of this out though. I'm glad to see that since you are brand new to the forums and no one knows you and you are hiding behind a screen name that your slate is clean enough to do so.

#259136 - 06/06/06 03:22 AM Re: from a wrestling perspective... [Re: adaca]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Polite reminder to all, please keep things friendly and sensible, this is not the place for forum members to get to personal or disrespectful, it is the place for sensible debate.

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#259137 - 06/06/06 03:23 AM Re: from a wrestling perspective... [Re: BrianS]
adaca Offline

At this moment in time i am working on the question given as to a response for the wrestling moves in the given vidio download.

Might I suggest you either you might want to do the same as I will not be constantly answering your(in the past) constant bickering.

If it is constructive as in how is a person going to beat one of these wrestlers then fine.Or some form of technical observation with out the usual sarcasm,

Other wise please stay out of my face

Thank you

#259138 - 06/06/06 03:38 AM Re: from a wrestling perspective... [Re: adaca]
adaca Offline

Brian please point me to the vidio you say you are on with was it old man?

Page 12 of 22 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 22 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga