FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
osibolyxu, SamasTactical, Mustafa, kritesh, AlfonsoGrey37
23185 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
kickbutt 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
History of Tae Kwon Do
by
05/07/05 10:39 PM
Recent Posts
History of Tae Kwon Do
by kickbutt
09/07/18 06:28 AM
Forum Stats
23185 Members
36 Forums
35694 Topics
432749 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#258451 - 06/02/06 03:07 AM Re: Guard Problem [Re: ChronicGMV]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
BTW: Taifu-shoi...
Never heard of that style (& I've been around a few years). I suspect it's a recently made-up style. Is Taifu (as in the Japanese pronunciation of Typhoon) supposed to imply power. I've seen lots of schools named Tsunami for that reason.

I doubt that it's the most popular style because there are lots of Shotokan & Shito-ryu dojo in P.R. (among many other traditional styles).

Anyway, I too prefer open hands because it gives me more immediate options (strike, deflect, grab). Remember, not all strikes are punches

Also, fingers can get injured closed-fist. If it hasn't happened yet, it will someday.

owari

#258452 - 06/02/06 04:22 AM Re: Guard Problem [Re: ChronicGMV]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Chronic does your style emphasize anything?
For instance TKD is knwn for it's kicks, kenpo is known for it's hand quickness, judo is known for it's sweeps and throws, jujutsu is known for grappling, locks, submissions, bjj is known for it's ground grappling.

Whats something unique about your style of karate? Oh and was it invented in puerto rico cuz that would be cool, the first MA coming out of PR.
Vinci

#258453 - 06/02/06 04:48 AM Re: Guard Problem [Re: TeK9]
ChronicGMV Offline

Loc: Miami, Florida
Actually, I just found my sensei on this forum. I doubt he actually logs in a lot but I can tell it's definately him.

Here's a link to his post:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15738128/page/0/fpart/14/vc/1

His username is "6666"

Just scroll down and you'll see his posts. He doesn't tell you what it's known for, but you can always send him a PM if ya want. Or you can wait for me to ask him on Monday.. And that'll be the day I told him I found him on the forum.

For those too lazy to search:

- In response to the "What style do you do?" thread

"Osu! My style: Taifu-Shoi Karate Do. 'Tai' is Korean, 'Fu' is Chinese, and 'Shoi" Japanese. Japanese freestyle fighting language. Very effective. 50% hands, 50% legs, forms, techniques, self-defense, plus anything that keeps me alive... Twenty-five busy years of experience, 4th dan, also 1st dan Kyiodai Ryu freestyle fighter, also shodan Shoryin Ryu Karate Do (Matsubyashi Ryu)."

Edited by ChronicGMV (06/02/06 04:57 AM)

#258454 - 06/02/06 07:59 AM Re: Guard Problem [Re: ChronicGMV]
gregc618 Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
Ooooooooh, we're not fighting. I will say this since you took the step to say sorry, I'll go with ya on that and accept.

TRUCE CALLED But try not to fly off on people for and opinion with out first seein if that is needed.

#258455 - 06/02/06 09:03 AM Re: Guard Problem [Re: TeK9]
stormbringer Offline
Extraordinaire

Loc: Florida
Tek,
My two instructors literally had me punching differently. The Mu Duk Kwan instructor made me stop my body square in front of what I'm punching at when my punch is thrown. My Jhoon Rhee instructor has me punching so that my body is facing at about a 45 degree angle away from what I'm punching at when my arm is fully extended for the punch. But they both agree to not get off balance. The only thing I get from my first instructor teaching that is punching more for defensive purposes rather than offensive. Can you find another purpose for stopping the twist of my body when punching. I do agree they are both great at what they teach.

#258456 - 06/02/06 11:04 AM Re: Guard Problem [Re: stormbringer]
sjon Offline
Smiter of the smited

Loc: Spain
stormbringer,

While I suspect that most of these variations are propagated simply because "it has always been done like that" in a particular style, naturally there must be an explanation somewhere along the line.

This is just conjecture on my part, but on this point in particular I'd say it may have something to do with different methods of power transference.
My research has given me some indications that in early TKD and pre-WWII Karate, power was generated in, say, a front punch by thrusting the bodyweight forward into a long front stance and coordinating the strike with the moment of the weight landing on the front foot, i.e. with a "drop step" or "falling step", relying relatively little on the hip twist.
I think the deep hip twist as a method of power generation may have been brought in gradually for two reasons: (a) the influence of Western Boxing, and (b) the increasing tendency to drill techniques from fixed stances (e.g. holding a horse stance for 20 minutes while you do front punches), which means you need an alternative source of power because you're not using a step.

Could it be that your MDK teacher comes from a lineage which conserves the first method, while the JR teacher is from a school which uses the latter?

Oh. I think I may have hijacked the thread. Sorry.

#258457 - 06/02/06 11:12 AM Re: Guard Problem [Re: ChronicGMV]
wdw Offline
Stranger

ChronicGMV,

To get back to your original post.....

You asked if you should confront your instructor about it.....I don't think confront would be the correct word. You could just ask him why closed instead of open. Like you said, you're learning his art and asking questions is part of learning. He may have a good method to help you deal with it.

#258458 - 06/02/06 10:00 PM Re: Guard Problem [Re: gregc618]
wendymc Offline

Loc: england
dear enthusiast, I was trained that way from being around 9. and Greg I have a teenage daughter who also studies martial arts PICK PICK PICK! i know your going through a difficult age, bless, thats why your arguementative.

#258459 - 06/02/06 10:19 PM Re: Guard Problem [Re: wendymc]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Be the bigger person and do not respond please. No need to mention any names, this person knows who they are. Show that self control tenet from taekwondo.

Guys it's one thing to debate about an actual issue about the martial arts, it's another to argue about someones personal business. Don't waist your time. Move on to the next subject.

your instrcutor doesn't know what he's doing = waist of time. It's to personal.

TKD forms are not good for self defense = good subject for debate. Although it has been debated to death.

We need some new threads.

-Tek
Vinci

#258460 - 06/02/06 11:07 PM Re: Guard Problem [Re: wendymc]
gregc618 Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
Hmmmm no sense of humor I see. Boy that was a wasted joke!

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd I'm gonna bet you could be MY daughter at the age you are! Also can someone explain why people seem to read things into post that arent there?

Bet my daughter can out spare your daughter!!!... Itttttts a JOOOOOOOOOOOOKE!!

Edited by gregc618 (06/02/06 11:09 PM)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga