FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#258366 - 05/31/06 03:59 PM Re: Buddhism in everyday life in Asia? [Re: aoishi]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

oh, sorry, I misunderstood the direction. maybe the largest difference in view is the difference stemming from monotheism (one God) vs Polytheism (many) ? just a shot in the dark.

#258367 - 05/31/06 04:27 PM Re: Buddhism in everyday life in Asia? [Re: harlan]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: kokokokokoko
Quote:

By the way, historically your responses have been too 'succinct', and cryptic to further discussion. I would appreciate it if you would put some time into your responses...as well as 'take it easy'. There is no sense in derailing a thread...when you can just as easily put a constructive spin on one.

I'll thank you to let me know if I violate any forum rules. Other than that I'll communicate in my own way. I can tell from your very firt post on this thread that you respect people expressing their views in thier own way.
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts. Note: The Signature feature is currently not enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

#258368 - 05/31/06 04:28 PM Re: Buddhism in everyday life in Asia? [Re: aoishi]
Bossman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chatham Kent UK
The Japanese tagged buddhism onto their shinto ways, their nature is that there is no individual thus 'if a nail sticks up - knock it down' a writer will refer to 'the author' as opposed to 'I' and individualism is frowned upon. In China buddhism was tagged on to the indigenious taoist and confucian culture, in Tibet (that country that used to exist) it was tagged on to their Bon Po shamanistic and quite magical ways. Thailand probably has the closest buddhism to that taught by the original Buddha in the Theravadin forest monastaries because it had the most original scriptures carried and maintained from India.

In a way any religion is a bit like the martial arts in that it's not the system - it's the person.

#258369 - 05/31/06 04:34 PM Re: Buddhism in everyday life in Asia? [Re: harlan]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

How the influence of Buddhism manifests itself in each culture will depend on many factors.

How did Buddhism combine with pre-existing native religions in each country examined?

To what extent is religion generally expressed in civic life? How 'secular' is the society?

What role does religion play in social institutions and how prevalent are such institutions as essential aspects of maintaining social structure in the country in the presence or absence of other supportive social or governmental institutions?

What other competing faiths are equally if not more prevalent in a given society?

To what extent does/has the government tended to support or repress religion in a given country?

If you ask me, there are too many variables to make any kind of reasonable conclusion.
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts. Note: The Signature feature is currently not enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

#258370 - 05/31/06 04:37 PM Re: Buddhism in everyday life in Asia? [Re: Bossman]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

The Japanese nature is that there is no individual thus 'if a nail sticks up - knock it down' a writer will refer to 'the author' as opposed to 'I' and individualism is frowned upon.

See, this is the kind of stereotyping that this sort of thing fosters. The above is a generalization that is neither true nor productive.

Edited by kusojiji (05/31/06 04:40 PM)

#258371 - 05/31/06 05:09 PM Re: Buddhism in everyday life in Asia? [Re: kusojiji]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

instead of only posting to point out the wrongs....why don't you try more righting.

on topic:
what I meant by the belief differences is a contrast between central vs. shared philosophies.

#258372 - 05/31/06 05:32 PM Re: Buddhism in everyday life in Asia? [Re: kusojiji]
Bossman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chatham Kent UK
Quote:

Quote:

The Japanese nature is that there is no individual thus 'if a nail sticks up - knock it down' a writer will refer to 'the author' as opposed to 'I' and individualism is frowned upon.

See, this is the kind of stereotyping that this sort of thing fosters. The above is a generalization that is neither true nor productive.

Hardly stereotyping - it's a fact - and you add nothing to qualify your statement, that smells troll.

#258373 - 05/31/06 05:58 PM Re: Buddhism in everyday life in Asia? [Re: Bossman]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Are you telling me that in all the time you were in Japan you didn't meet a great many dynamic individuals who expressed their own unique skills and pursued their individual dreams with great energy? You didn't notice the efforts and accomplishments of individuals being recognized and respected? In your study of Japanese history you didn't notice the emphasis placed on individual battlefield glory?

Individualism is a human characteristic. Different cultures may recognize it in different ways, but these differences stem from the perspective of the viewer, and tend to shrink the more that one becomes familiar with a culture.

Likewise, negative expressions of individuality are not valued much in any culture, so any rusty nail that sticks up will get hammered down (wait 'till I tell the boss about my great new idea during the quarterly meeting! - that's a stupid idea, sit down)and any beautiful, shiny nail that sticks up will be polished (wow, what a great new idea, and you told it to me in an appropriate way!)

So much of the 'difference' that people make a big deal out of is what we want to see.

#258374 - 05/31/06 09:39 PM Re: Buddhism in everyday life in Asia? [Re: kusojiji]
aoishi Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
The point you make here about seeing what we want to see in another culture is what I was trying to get at, in a way, with the other thread about "Asia as Other".
Having said that, I find there is a lot of truth in the sterotype of Japanese people being less focused on the individual as compared to the West and it would be too hast to throw it all away as a "pointless generalization".
Let's see if we can't mine this stereotype for some truth. LEt's try to all let go of our dogmatic ideas and try to see what the other people are trying to express. You may find that you agree more than you thought.

#258375 - 06/01/06 08:20 AM Re: Buddhism in everyday life in Asia? [Re: aoishi]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Excuse the crosspost, but found this interesting thread on another forum 'Buddhism in Japan'.

http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1624

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga