FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 3
ergees 2
kolslaw 1
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
09/09/14 05:55 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432491 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#258356 - 05/30/06 07:52 PM Buddhism in everyday life in Asia?
aoishi Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
There are a lot of Buddhists in Japan and China, but are the philosophical underpinnings of Buddhism evident anywhere or do they just chant a lot?
In Japan, for example, Buddhist priest reside over funerals while Shinto priests do marriages, new buildings, etc. The Buddhist priests chant, chant and chant so more, but few of them will engage you in a conversation about no-ego, non-attachment, meditation. etc. They're usually just regular joes who fish, drink and do karaoke...
So what about it? Where is the Budhhist philosophy represented in these cultures?
Any thoughts? I sure have some, but I prefer to share later...after some other have stepped up to the plate

#258357 - 05/30/06 11:43 PM Re: Buddhism in everyday life in Asia? [Re: aoishi]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I joined a chant buddhism group (you know, the 'nam-yo-ho-ren-ge-kyo' crowd) when I was living in Boston. only stayed with it briefly for a few months because I felt very subtle 'claws' digging in (using guilt trips to persuade commitment, etc) almost like how they warn of cults except this wasn't an extreme group...just people who were really into it getting together on a weekend day. plus there was a hot chick there I was trying to score...just kidding, but I kept an open mind talking with the people I met there I realized you don't have to be a buddhist to incorporate buddhist philosophy or vica versa for that matter, which (I think) is the coolest thing about it.

anyway, it's out there. but is there any buddhist philosophy influence...I would say yes. the whole vegitarian and vegan movement no doubt has genisis in buddhist thought...just to name one.

#258358 - 05/30/06 11:59 PM Re: Buddhism in everyday life in Asia? [Re: Ed_Morris]
aoishi Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
So did you say enough namyohos to get into her pants?

But seriously, I was going to try to steer this towards the element of sumbersion of ego.
Here's an example: Why is it that when Americans meet each other for the first time, they are always eager to show what it is about them that makes them "special" or "different"?
In Japan, it is not like as in the US. When you first meet people, you want to show that you are normal and in a way predictable.

Here's another scenario: International flight to Japan:
American flight attendants tend to try to relax and comfort people by "getting to know them" or getting personal. They might ask how many kids you have or what your business is or that tehy love your dress or something.
On Japanese airlines, the flight attendants comfort their Japanese clients by maintaining an interchangeable sort of distance that makes it quite clear that it is NOT personal and THAT is precisely what makes them comfortable.
What is responsible for this paradox? I think the answer lies in Buddhist roots.

About the vegan thing, that is also true I'm sure or maybe it's just the lack of deep "meat roots".

#258359 - 05/31/06 02:31 PM Re: Buddhism in everyday life in Asia? [Re: aoishi]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Me own thoughts;

Our East Asian Buddhist brethrens just chant too much and totally forgot what buddhism is about. I mean, do they even understand the meaning of Karma, nine wheel and re-incarnation?

Well, look at an average Japanese. Compare with a Thai, I can bet, the Thai knows a lot more about the philosophies of Buddhism than the Japanese. For the East Asians, it's more along the traditional lines than being religious. I mean, they aren't forced nor instilled to learn Buddhism, unlike in South East Asia where if you're born in a buddhist family, you're buddhist.

My 50 yen, they chant too much. No meaning actually, it's just chanting for the sake of chanting. I mean, how can you remove your bad karma by chanting? If they took up the 150 or so rules of Buddhist conduct and actually tried to find a way out of the cycle of re-incarnation, they maybe, but too much chanting. It's actually possible to get merit by showing others the way, not chanting.

-Taison out

#258360 - 05/31/06 03:12 PM Re: Buddhism in everyday life in Asia? [Re: Taison]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: kokokokokoko
Quote:

Me own thoughts;

Our East Asian Buddhist brethrens just chant too much and totally forgot what buddhism is about.

Holy generalizations, Batman!
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts. Note: The Signature feature is currently not enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

#258361 - 05/31/06 03:29 PM Re: Buddhism in everyday life in Asia? [Re: kusojiji]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Generalization, perhaps. But this topic isn't an academic one...it is based on personal observations. 'I think' and 'I feel' are okay here...within the bounds of civilized behaviour.

#258362 - 05/31/06 03:46 PM Buddhism in Everyday life in Asia [Re: harlan]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Its not a matter of civilized behavior, its a matter of logic. Its simply irrational to make such a sweeping generalization about entire populations. Even with volumes of scientifically gathered data, such conclusions would be suspect at best. At some point such broad declarations flirt with the realm of prejudice.

Edited by harlan (05/31/06 03:54 PM)
Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts. Note: The Signature feature is currently not enabled by this bulletin board's administrator. You may use UBB Code in this field, but not HTML. The UBB Code Image tag is not permitted, however.

#258363 - 05/31/06 03:48 PM Buddhism in Everyday life in Asia [Re: kusojiji]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Thank you for your reply. Now, to steer this thread...do you have anything constructive to add regarding the topic?

#258364 - 05/31/06 03:54 PM Re: of course an opinion is an opinion, but... [Re: harlan]
kusojiji Offline
Enthusiast

Ok, if we are not making unreasonable generalizations, what exactly is the topic?

#258365 - 05/31/06 03:56 PM Buddhism in everyday life in Asia? [Re: kusojiji]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Well, if you took the time to read it, I believe it was:

"Where is the Budhhist philosophy represented in these cultures?"

By the way, historically your responses have been too 'succinct', and cryptic to further discussion. I would appreciate it if you would put some time into your responses...as well as 'take it easy'. There is no sense in derailing a thread...when you can just as easily put a constructive spin on one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga