FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#257819 - 05/31/06 04:30 AM Re: underwater training [Re: BrianS]
Stealthdozer Offline

Loc: Harpswell, Maine, US.
BrianS
Hello. I am glad some changes have been made.

#257820 - 05/31/06 04:31 AM Re: underwater training [Re: Stealthdozer]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
if that is where you see the benefit of your water training, I am curious as to why you have been disagreeing with my points thus far, as we seem to be largely in accord

Maybe voicing your thoughts earlier, rather than stunted single sentence responses would have served you better? After all, before conditioning and balance, surely our greatest priority should always be communication

I still do not see any functional balance improvemnts being gained by the removal of gravitational force, but as I said, its your training and you are happy with it, thats a good thing.

The things that tried your patience with this site would no longer be allowed- perhaps you have sensed this and that is why you have returned?
Whatever the case, this is neither the most scholarly, nor the most irreverent place, it is a balance, but i think you will find the conduct insisted upon to your standards. If anything, it gets criticised for being too strict, not apathetic.

Times change, and the forums, like training methods, evolve

Cord

#257821 - 05/31/06 04:42 AM Re: underwater training [Re: Cord]
Stealthdozer Offline

Cord
Did I disagree with you, or did I attempt to explain my training & then defend it?

#257822 - 05/31/06 04:51 AM Re: underwater training [Re: Stealthdozer]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Your opinion is not supported by facts, so far. Is that going to be a problem for you?

after going into detail in my post, as did laff, on the principles behind my standpoint, i kind of interperated the above quote as a disagreement.

if i was wrong, then my apologies. Either way, its always good to have a discussion that brings forth lots of detail in defence of standpoints, everyone benefits from the ability to share in the info posted.

Good stuff

#257823 - 05/31/06 05:35 AM Re: underwater training [Re: Cord]
Stealthdozer Offline

Cord
You're correct, sir. By my third post I did disagree with you, & was no longer strictly defending my training.

Sorry.

#257824 - 05/31/06 07:38 AM Re: underwater training [Re: Stealthdozer]
Cord Offline
Prolific

No worries, like i said, I always welcome a good discussion, its never compulsory for people to agree, that would be terribly dull

#257825 - 05/31/06 01:36 PM Re: underwater training [Re: Stealthdozer]
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
Let's have another look at how this discussion has progressed. Cord responded to Tek9's statement, and i quote "Speed, power, balance. It is a full body workout.". So contrary to this statement from you
Quote:

The thing is, & I hope you understand this distinction, I do not use kata to teach myself power & speed. No one asked that question.

, it was what was being discussed in this thread.

This is what you posted in response to Cord's statement about why water training isn't effective for speed and power.
Quote:

I enjoy working against the resistance of the water. Id rather not punch air. Timing my techniques in the surf is also entertaining. I find training in the water more effective as I find training in the water more enjoyable. It is training frequently that increases speed & power. I keep just my head above water.

This statement clearly suggests that you feel frequently training under water increases your speed and power, regardless of if that was your intention or not.

Then after two lengthy posts from Cord about why training in water isn't effective for speed and power you respond directly to him, even though there are 4 other posts between you, with this...
Quote:

Fact #1: I train in the water.
Fact #2: I am as effective as anyone.

When others question your second "fact" and after Cord points out the holes in your theory this is your only response.
Quote:

Cord
Fact #3: Practicing kata in water has provided the advantages of kata training with no discernable disadvantage(s).
Your opinion is not supported by facts, so far. Is that going to be a problem for you?

This statement shows you were actively engaged in the discussion of the effects of water training on speed and power. When i question you about your statement to Cord and his lack of facts you give me a couple of BS one liners too, but when asked direct questions about where you think power is generated you ignore the question completely. Instead you start to back track with this statement and try to pretend you were talking about something else all together.
Quote:

My kata is an artifact passed to me by my teachers. My kata is a dance to teach breathing. I breathe as well as anyone, thus my conclusion based on this fact that I am as effective as anyone. The surf, especially, I found effective at helping balance: lifting weights (free-weights, naturally), even more so. My opinion is that all the power & speed in the world is useless without proper breathing & balance.

So now that it's a little clearer what part you had in this conversation, as it would appear to me and maybe others. How exactly does training in water help with balance? Training in a pool with your head just above water as you claim you do has already been pointed out to not help your balance at all. If you are referring to using the force of waves to help with your balance then you might have something, provided you are able to find waves big enough for you to perform your techniques on without going waist deep in the water. Once you go past your waist in the water you are reducing the strain on your core muscles that provide balance. So whatever resistance you are training against with a wave is negated by the fact that youre not working your core any harder. Simple core exercises would be much more effective for building power and balance.

If your enjoying your water training the by all means continue happily. But don't try to make it out to be something it's not. I do agree with this for the most part..
Quote:

all the power & speed in the world is useless without proper breathing & balance

but you do realize power comes with balance, right?

#257826 - 06/01/06 01:22 AM Re: underwater training [Re: laf7773]
Stealthdozer Offline

laf7773
I suspect youre not simply confused? What is being discussed on this thread by you is not necessarily what is being discussed on this thread by me. Get over yourself; please?

My kata teaches breathing. Try most any kata whilst holding your breath, perhaps youll see what I mean? My kata is not about a crisp snap, crackle, pop gi, or soaring leaps & kicks.

Whatever effect my kata has on my speed, power, and balance, Ive already stated twice that I use other training methods to truly drive those attributes. Training frequently at least in my case has a positive effect however minor - on most all the attributes I seek. I did not state I use kata to develop speed & power. From my first comment I mentioned other training methods. I also mentioned these methods repeatedly: your delusions changed, not my point.

Your failure to understand Fact #2 does not refute Fact #2. Your ignorance is not my doing.

It is true Ive ignored your "questions" as (based on your assertions thus far) I can only deduce you are a deliberately obtuse quibbling weasel defending your willful stupidity. Which of your questions are honest ones?

I am confident I can state that I am as effective as anyone, measured thus: I can bench press 340lbs fifteen times, tear a heavy bag free of its chains with a single punch (albeit not deliberately), and I can produce witnesses for this. This is at least average, right? There other measurements we could use: I breathe as well as anyone (also an example Ive used).

Training with free-weights in addition to obvious strength development - is one method of developing balance (a training method mentioned twice, & at least once in this context). Additionally & specifically, training in the estuary at Popham Beach, Maine, also aids my footwork & balance, & thats just plain common sense.

Have you any more bluster to add to your trite bullsh*t storm?

#257827 - 06/01/06 01:59 AM Re: underwater training [Re: Stealthdozer]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas

#257828 - 06/01/06 02:24 AM Re: underwater training [Re: BrianS]
theoldone Offline

Quote:

I use to hold classes underwater,but it was hard for the students to understand what I was saying.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga