FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 54 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 8
trevek 6
futsaowingchun 3
JKogas 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Today at 12:01 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432457 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#256454 - 07/28/06 10:10 PM Re: Krav Maga Videos..... [Re: Stormdragon]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

JK, I don't know about you or anyone else on here, but I know that I'll bite, scratch and rip a person apart if I need to in a fight whether I've trained for that or not.

I don’t disagree with you. In fact, I would whole-heartedly agree. I would do the same thing. I just believe in having a legitimate game in place before I start thinking about foul tactics as fight stoppers.

Quote:

Just because certain techniques can't be practiced full power or completely "alive" doesn't mean they should be forgotten. If a technique is effective then use it, even biting. I'm sure Bruce Lee probably didn't practice biting full force yet he recommended be prepared to do it if need be.

I agree yet again! However I believe that my stance is simply misunderstood by most. I’m not in opposition to the use of biting and scratching, etc.. But those things do not require practice or skill to do. There is no “art” behind biting and scratching. You simply don’t need to be “taught” how to bite, scratch or be generally aggressive. Those things are inherent in our nature. What we DO need is legitimate SKILL.

But what does biting and scratching have to do with Krav Maga videos?

-John

#256455 - 07/29/06 09:54 PM Re: Krav Maga Videos..... [Re: JKogas]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
What if because of training your "game" you lose sight of the effectiveness and possibility of using foul tactics? I think there's a chance you may forget them by developing the habit of using "sport" tactics and I use the term sport for lack of a better word, not to say that those methods are ineffective or anything because I know they are.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#256456 - 09/18/06 05:12 AM Re: Krav Maga Videos..... [Re: Stormdragon]
rafikEz Offline

Loc: Melbourne, VIC, Australia
http://www.kravmaga-zgora.republika.pl/

itsall in polish, but these videos are seriously the best krav videos ive seen on the internet. simply awesome. just click on any of the four tabs on the right of the screen, and you can watch some awesome vids. :-)
enjoy

#256457 - 09/18/06 08:08 AM Re: Krav Maga Videos..... [Re: Stormdragon]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Stormdragon wrote
Quote:

What if because of training your "game" you lose sight of the effectiveness and possibility of using foul tactics? I think there's a chance you may forget them by developing the habit of using "sport" tactics

Foul tactics are easily deliverable from a all delivery systems. Training those delivery systems in an athletic way has nothing to do with whether foul tactics are trained or not. Regardless of that point, you’re only pretending to use them when you train one way or the other. No one is *really* going into their partners eyes or crushing their testicles…you’re only pretending to do so.

Quote:

and I use the term sport for lack of a better word, not to say that those methods are ineffective or anything because I know they are.

Define “sport tactic” if you would. Would you consider breaking someone’s arm, dislocating a shoulder or choking someone unconscious a “sport tactic”?

-John

#256458 - 09/20/06 11:50 AM Re: Krav Maga Videos..... [Re: JKogas]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Wait a sec who cares if it's "pretend" anyway? I mean what makes it less effective if a few techniques are simulated?
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#256459 - 09/21/06 06:07 PM Re: Krav Maga Videos..... [Re: JKogas]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
I would define sport tactics as a way to set up a technique which if were being applied in a real situation would be set up with a small move or a feint. Usually such small nuances are not allowed in sparring or competition. Which is why when pulling off big oves like arm bars you have two competitors responding and reacting aggressively.

These smal techniques are very basic and easy to apply and by no means do they require endless practice such as the techniques used in sparring. Which is why I believe sparring is a very important aspect of training.

To answer your last question whether I consider arm locks and choking a sport tactic, I consider the manuevers used to apply such techniques as sport tactics. Because obviously durring sparring or competition there is a limit in the way you approach setting up these techniques.

The techniques themslves are apprpriate for sparring and competition (sport) because they can be controlled, just like many striking techniquss such s punches and kicks can be controlled.

There in lies the difference between sport and fighting.

While breaking someones arm or dislocating a shoulder is certainly a consequence or possibility in a grappling match, the actual goal is to win, usually by tapping out.

My intention is not to argue but to try to answer your question and for me to better understand it myself as I try to describe it.
Vinci

#256460 - 09/23/06 10:30 AM Re: Krav Maga Videos..... [Re: Stormdragon]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Quote:

Wait a sec who cares if it's "pretend" anyway? I mean what makes it less effective if a few techniques are simulated?

I wouldn't like to bet my self protection on techniques which are only pretend. Evidently not everyone thinks the way I do. Much like John, I like to see that techniques work in an environment where you have to make them work, where they don't work themselves.

Admittedly, small joint manipulation is not allowed in many MMA matches, but that doesn't mean that they can not be trained as part of a good resistant training programme. I've heard of people using wristlocks as part of their BJJ.

What specific techniques other than that are prohibited by "sport" sparring which are permitted in KM training?

#256461 - 09/24/06 10:32 AM Re: Krav Maga Videos..... [Re: Leo_E_49]
rafikEz Offline

Quote:

What specific techniques other than that are prohibited by "sport" sparring which are permitted in KM training?

regular groin strikes. granted, the recever wheres a groin gaurd, but we regualrly train to hit in the balls, both when learning the techniques, and when sparring.

that would not be allowed in a 'sport' environemnt

#256462 - 09/24/06 11:16 AM Re: Krav Maga Videos..... [Re: rafikEz]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
I see, that's quite a difference indeed.

#256463 - 09/25/06 10:45 AM Re: Krav Maga Videos..... [Re: Leo_E_49]
rafikEz Offline

Quote:

I see, that's quite a difference indeed.

Indeed

but if everyone stoped fussing about about the particulars of 'sport' vs 'realistic' sparring and what not, and enjoyed the videos

http://www.kravmaga-zgora.republika.pl/

they would see that the sparring in Krav is very cool. click on the multimedia tab. it has the best krav vids ive yet seen on the net (which was why i made this thread)
enjoy if you havnt already :-)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga