FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
Victor Smith 1
swordy 1
AndyLA 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#256101 - 05/21/06 12:26 AM Re: Too much padding [Re: tkd_high_green]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
tkd_high_green,

I know exactly how you feel. When I first started learning how to spar I hated the chest protector, it got in the way, it was to big. Try using a smaller one it might help. Also don't worry, soon you wont even notice you have a chest protector on, it becomes like second skin. Once you get used to it and your flexibility improves, it's just becomes apart of you. And once you to really go full blast, you;ll be happy that thing is on, rather than taking a shot to the ribs. At my school, when we do sparring drills with a partner, we wear two chest protectors, this allows our partners to go full blast.
Vinci

#256102 - 05/21/06 01:15 AM Re: Too much padding [Re: TeK9]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
We can go full blast on eachother wearing only 4oz gloves and a mouthpiece.

Have any of you ever tried it without all the padding or you just assuming you couldn't handle it?

To me it is beneficial to have less padding. To have good self defense you need to know what it's like to be hit,you need to know how it feels and how you would react to it to avoid the shock factor.I've seen it several times.

I also think all the padding gives you a feeling of invincibility which isn't a good thing.

#256103 - 05/21/06 04:01 AM Re: Too much padding [Re: TeK9]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

tkd_high_green,

I know exactly how you feel. When I first started learning how to spar I hated the chest protector, it got in the way, it was to big. Try using a smaller one it might help. Also don't worry, soon you wont even notice you have a chest protector on, it becomes like second skin. Once you get used to it and your flexibility improves, it's just becomes apart of you. And once you to really go full blast, you;ll be happy that thing is on, rather than taking a shot to the ribs. At my school, when we do sparring drills with a partner, we wear two chest protectors, this allows our partners to go full blast.

I also find the chest protector cumbersome as I find my dobok slides down my back and the front moves up to my neck. I am continually always fixing this. I own two chest protectors with one I'm lending to a friend at the moment that goes to another school so that he does not have to spend the money. My new one I ordered one size smaller and low and behold the dang thing is still the same size. Of course they are from different manufacturers so I wish I could have tried on a few before ordering it. I'll never fully get used to it but am thankful many times that I am wearing it. Don't get me wrong, these things are thin and they provide "minimal" protection.

#256104 - 05/21/06 04:14 AM Re: Too much padding [Re: BrianS]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

We can go full blast on eachother wearing only 4oz gloves and a mouthpiece.

Brian, you are the man.

Quote:

Have any of you ever tried it without all the padding or you just assuming you couldn't handle it? To me it is beneficial to have less padding. To have good self defense you need to know what it's like to be hit,you need to know how it feels and how you would react to it to avoid the shock factor.I've seen it several times. I also think all the padding gives you a feeling of invincibility which isn't a good thing.

We have trained without but I can't say I've been fully thundered to the abs or chest by anybody when I'm not wearing one. If people can have ribs broken while wearing them I can only imagine without. If I have winded and almost knocked people out from hitting them in the solar plex ... this would only be intensified if not wearing one.

Even when we train MMA type of fighting such as Pankration and wear only a mouth guard, and the odd time our head gear and shin pads, again I've never been fully thundered but that may be because I'm trying for the takedown and they are trying not to get taken down so they are more cautious to throw out such big kicks.

Could I handle being kicked without a chest protector ... sure I could, I have no doubt. Again the chest protector provides minimal protection. But with some of the people that I know and their kicking power, that little bit extra does help ... not invincible ... but maybe a little more confidence.

This brings me to another point. I would assume that other schools train like us in the fact we are taught "how" to take a kick and to tense up those muscles and then kihup to help control it. In fact now that I type this we have done drills where we will punch our partner in the stomach repeatedly with light punches, then move to medium punches, then a bit harder and then even more harder before trading positions from the receiver to the puncher. And we have done similar drills with kicks, though not as often. So I can honestly say yes for sure that I could handle being kicked without a chest protector ... though with many TKD kickers they are also super fast and with good technique they are able to pull off double kicks that you may be prepared for the first one but the second you may not and you'll be sucking wind bent over on the ground.

#256105 - 05/21/06 04:38 AM Re: Too much padding [Re: BrianS]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

You mean straight kick boxing style? My brother and I also own a pair of those fancy macho gloves and foot pads, you konw the ones with the cool nifty graffitti designs. The new ones now come with a pad + an added doubled pad on top of that just to make the wearer feel safer. Ofcourse they only cost $35-$50 a pair.

We also own big boxing gloves, not sure how many ounces it's possible they could be the 15 ounce kind. They are big, we box with them. We use those to practice catching each others punches with our elbows. He jabs, I try to attack with my elbow, attempting to trap his arm and rush in for something. Once I get inside I lock, choke, or just bull rush.
Vinci

#256106 - 05/21/06 11:19 AM Re: Too much padding [Re: TeK9]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

The 4oz gloves are open fingered mma gloves,like in the ufc. Don't those guys go full blast? Do you see broken bones and major injuries because of it? NO!

#256107 - 05/21/06 01:08 PM Re: Too much padding [Re: BrianS]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Personally, I am closer to Brian's camp of minimalist protective gear. However, I think the important thing is to have a fair amount of contact in sparring. If people are more comfortable doing this with more padding as opposed to less, then that is OK with me.

I would rather see harder contact with pads than little contact without pads.

#256108 - 05/21/06 03:44 PM Re: Too much padding [Re: BrianS]
Dudley32 Offline
master of disaster

Loc: Indiana
head gear... well, thats about it.

Matt

P.S. A cup is suggested for the guys

#256109 - 05/25/06 04:50 AM Re: Too much padding [Re: BrianS]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Busted lips, black eyes, cuts above and below the eye, cuts along the cheeck bones, burised ribs. Definetly a lot of injuries. Worthwhile perhaps if your really into it, but I don't think a person with a high end job would really train that way seeing that they have to go into work the following day.

There are safer ways to train. After all sparring is not fighting it's just the closest thing we have to it. However, at some point there has to be a line drawn between benficial practice and just plain stupidity.

I don't think any studies have beeen done to draw that threshold line, but in my personal opinion I do not think that sparring as realistic as possible with little regards to personal safety can effective, ifact I believe it can be counter productive.
Vinci

#256110 - 05/25/06 05:35 AM Re: Too much padding [Re: TeK9]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Definitely some truth in your post tek. It comes down to how you want to train,but in all things moderation.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga