FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (kalari), 41 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
cxt 1
ergees 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#255983 - 06/23/06 01:46 AM Re: bruce lee steroids?! [Re: adaca]
NeverEnough Offline
Stranger

Registered: 06/19/06
Posts: 3
it's like Neko said. Bruce did have a severe back injury that almost costed him everything. the first thing the doctors do to help you get over an injury like that is for one give you pain killers and almost all of them give you some type of legal steroids to help you body repair itself to the point where you can start physical therapy. That is the ONLY way Bruce would have taken steroids. I myself tore 6 ligaments and 2 rotator cuff muscles in my shoulder and had to undergo surgery and was given perscribed steroids for 3 weeks before I started physical therapy. They're only used to help get you on your feet again until you are able to build your body up again on your own. And as stated above..bruce doesn't have near the body mass as someone who was taking steroids on a daily basis would..besides, someone in martial couldn't stand to have a big bulky body because you'll sacrifice speed and efficieny later on after you get so big. Bruce would never take steroids, someone that dedicated to his beliefs and believes in earning everything that you get wouldn't cheat by taking a drug to become better when steroids would only cripple you in the long run.

Top
#255984 - 06/23/06 03:24 AM Re: bruce lee steroids?! [Re: NeverEnough]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Registered: 01/13/05
Posts: 11399
Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

it's like Neko said. Bruce did have a severe back injury that almost costed him everything. the first thing the doctors do to help you get over an injury like that is for one give you pain killers and almost all of them give you some type of legal steroids to help you body repair itself to the point where you can start physical therapy.




no they dont. Anabolic Steroids are never prescribed for injury rehabilitation- not what they were designed for in the slightest.

Quote:

I myself tore 6 ligaments and 2 rotator cuff muscles in my shoulder and had to undergo surgery and was given perscribed steroids for 3 weeks before I started physical therapy.




They wouldnt have been anabolic steroids, its possible that you were given an anti inflamatory with steroids as an ingredient, but they would not have had the same effect as something like dianobol, even if you had tried to misuse them. Different steroids have different effects. A burger and a veggie burger are both 'burgers', but are completely different.

Quote:

besides, someone in martial couldn't stand to have a big bulky body because you'll sacrifice speed and efficieny later on after you get so big.




Yeah, that Phil Baroni, what a slouch eh? not to mention Mat Hughes, Arlovski and those 100 meter sprinters and NFL recievers/running backs, those physiques just hold em back dont they

Quote:

Bruce would never take steroids, someone that dedicated to his beliefs and believes in earning everything that you get wouldn't cheat by taking a drug to become better when steroids would only cripple you in the long run.




Its exactly that sort of dedication that leads to athletes putting their health at risk, and sacrificing everything in an attempt to extract every last bit of performance out of their physiology.

I will say again, Bruce is unlikely to have taken steroids because:

1. His death was unexpected, and so he would not have been expecting a tox screen, so would have had no reason to clear his system of steroids. They simply would have been mentioned in his post mortem. They were happy to tell the world he was a stoner, you think that the 'fittest man in the world' (as he was called) being a steroid cheat wouldnt have been a huge story? Come on.

2. Neither his physique, nor his RL performance in video footage would indicate anything above a good talented MA.


Its only since his death that he has become superhuman. Its his legend that is on steroids.
_________________________
Don't let the door hit ya' where the good lord split ya'
http://cord.mybrute.com

Top
#255985 - 06/23/06 06:38 AM Re: bruce lee steroids?! [Re: Cord]
Benjamin Offline
Member

Registered: 11/12/04
Posts: 301
Loc: S'pore
Glucocorticoid is one example of a steroid class use to treat inflammatory conditions like arthritis.

Top
#255986 - 06/27/06 11:34 AM Re: bruce lee steroids?! [Re: Cord]
NeverEnough Offline
Stranger

Registered: 06/19/06
Posts: 3
all those NFL Receivers, quarterbacks, baseball players, Arlovski, Mat Hughs, all them them don't have hands half as fast as Bruce did. besides there's a big difference between the speed of running and the speed of kicking and punching. I've known people that can run a 4.2, 4.1 40yrd dash and can't even kick higher then their waist, and I didn't say what kind of steroid they gave me I just stated they gave me a type of steroid, I'm not a doctor I just take what they give me, if I knew what to take then I wouldn't need the doctors. And I know that extreme determination causes athletes to take performance enhancing drugs you are entirely correct on that, but you have to admit that someone with a mind and heart like Bruce would not take steroids, he always believed in earning what you receive and using drugs is not earning anything. I'd rather earn something than have it given to me, it means more to you in the long run.

Top
#255987 - 06/27/06 12:10 PM Re: bruce lee steroids?! [Re: NeverEnough]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Registered: 01/13/05
Posts: 11399
Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

all those NFL Receivers, quarterbacks, baseball players, Arlovski, Mat Hughs, all them them don't have hands half as fast as Bruce did.




Well, they never made movies with pre arranged choreography. They have real life speed and power. Unless you knew Bruce in person, you are believing anecdotal stories of Bruce lee as fact. He was neither the fastest nor fittest man alive, but he was great on many levels, the least important of which was his physical prowess.

Quote:

besides there's a big difference between the speed of running and the speed of kicking and punching. I've known people that can run a 4.2, 4.1 40yrd dash and can't even kick higher then their waist




So not kicking higher than the waist means they are slow?

Biomechanicaly, leg and hand speed are interdependant. Try walking fast whilst swinging your arms slowly- impossible. To run fast, you need fast powerfull arms. You think sprinters have torso's like that just for the beach?

Quote:

and I didn't say what kind of steroid they gave me I just stated they gave me a type of steroid, I'm not a doctor I just take what they give me, if I knew what to take then I wouldn't need the doctors.




So you admit you are talking about stuff you have no direct knowledge of. Is that a good thing to do?

Quote:

And I know that extreme determination causes athletes to take performance enhancing drugs you are entirely correct on that, but you have to admit that someone with a mind and heart like Bruce would not take steroids, he always believed in earning what you receive and using drugs is not earning anything. I'd rather earn something than have it given to me, it means more to you in the long run.




Again, you did not know Bruce Lee, and can not have a clue as to his views on this subject. You are defending a fictional image of a man as you want him to have been.
Steroids do not represent an 'easy option'. They allow people who have reached the peak of their genetic abilities to push beyond them, by working harder and recovering quicker. Bad for the health? absolutely. But not a lazy option. Takes more than a syringe full of winstrol to make a champion in any sport/persuit.
Bruce was a great believer in attaining an edge, and was fiercly motivated to succeed. I think him not taking steroids would be more down to not believing they would give a predictable edge in combat, having no effect on reflexes, timing,coordination, or ability to absorb a strike.

the greatest hero's in the world are made even greater by their weaknesses. If Bruce was a superhuman with perfect character, then what he achieved ceases to be great, and becomes less than what he should have.
Give him the credit that he deserves as a normal human being, dont give him a rep he never lived up to
_________________________
Don't let the door hit ya' where the good lord split ya'
http://cord.mybrute.com

Top
#255988 - 06/27/06 04:54 PM Re: bruce lee steroids?! [Re: Cord]
TimBlack Offline
Exalted

Registered: 05/10/05
Posts: 1403
Loc: UK, Brighton
I think half the problem here is that almost all the posters (with the exception of Cord) don't know the first thing about performance enhancing drugs. I have, and continue to, studied them very, very carefully from literature published by both sides of the debate (the rabid anti-steroid campaigners and the rabid pro-steroid campaigners) and read the medical reports. I'm actually doing a 6000 word report for my A levels next year. There's some basic myths being thrown out here:

Steroids make you big. CALORIES make you big, food is the most 'anabolic' thing you can use. If you want to use steroids and not get 'big' that's perfectly possible, just don't eat like a family of four, and drop the volume a bit (go 5x5).

People who use steroids are lazy. These guys train damn hard - harder than you (yes, you!). Those American Footballers aren't just popping D-bol and ramming syringes of Test up their a$$es, they train intelligently, and above all, *very* hard.

Steroids will turn you into a mutant freak from Mars. Breasts, shrunken balls, hair loss, heart attacks, the list of supposed side-effects from steroids goes on and on. Steroids can cause side-effects. They almost certainly will. The only *definite* thing that prolonged steroid use *will* do is make you impotent. It could be temporary or permanent, there's not that much evidence beyond the anecdotal for this, and it depends on the individual. Breasts (caused by increase in Eostrogen production) shouldn't happen if you do things properly and use Eostrogen suppressents. Shrunken balls? You can use pills to stop that too. Increased rate of heart attacks? Probably just hokey, I've never seen or heard of a medical study to back this claim up. Hair loss, maybe, some do, some don't. Now, if you're reading that and thinking "waiddaminnit, Tim's advocating steroid use" then stop right there. Steroids are dangerous. There *are* side-effects, but they vary according to who you are and what you use. Believe it or not, there's a world of difference between the different steroids. That's not to mention HGH and other 'interesting' hormones. By the way, HGH causes Gastric distention (big fat stomach). Not too good if you want to impress the ladies

I'm young and healthy, steroids are for me! It couldn't be further from the truth. Steroids WILL stunt your growth. It's proven. Under 21's have NO business taking them. The great shame is that information on steroids, particularly aimed at young people, is so pi$$ poor. They trot out the same old rubbish, and then someone's mate starts taking them, his balls haven't shrivelled into marbles and he's got real hench - "hey, they must be safe" - and hey presto! The ridiculous level of steroid abuse in young people in America, dangerous and stupid. And preventable, if there was some half-decent drugs education.

Roid Rage! Steroids won't turn you into a carbon copy of the Hulk, but less green. They may make you easier to anger, and more sullen. The problem is that many of the people who take steroids were borderline psychotic/easily angered to begin with, and on steroids they've got something to prove.

More is better. It's. Just. Not. If you had a headache and I told you to take 40 aspirin, because it would be more effective, would you believe me?


With that rant off my chest, I'll conclude by saying that you have no business taking steroids unless you 1) are a competitive (ie. Olympic/NFL/NBA level) athlete, 2) have reached your genetic limit of potential (and you, yes you my friend, have not got near), 3) don't want kids, 4)are prepared to go to prison for a very long time, coz guess what, steroids are class A drugs, they're illegal.



Anyway, Bruce Lee and steroids. Cord is right as ever, there is absolutely no evidence that he did. I'm sorry, but there are amateur bodybuilders out there with a far better physique than Bruce Lee. There's no doubt that the man incorporated bodybuilding techniques into his training, in order to look good in the movies, maintained a very low bodyfat percentage, and got 'pumped' before shooting a scene. He was a good trainer evidently, but part of the reason he looks so ripped is simply because of his low bodyfat - look at Brad Pitt in Troy or Fight Club, looks more muscular than he really is because of low bodyfat. I really wish we could just put the whole Bruce Lee steroids debate to rest, because there's just no evidence for it.

Oh yeah, and if he had done steroids (intelligently) then he would have been stronger, faster and tougher. Fact.
_________________________
My Workout Log

Top
#255989 - 01/06/08 01:26 PM Re: bruce lee steroids?! [Re: peter586]
LifesFist Offline
Member

Registered: 05/27/07
Posts: 127
Loc: Above Is Heaven, Down Is Earth
Well, I hear time after time from others that Lee took some of steroids. "Just look what he had done with himself, all these muscles, board breaking, push-ups with one finger, etc." My first reaction to this - B.S.!!! At least this video can proof that he was able to do one finger push-ups then he was in his early twenties :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK-PDrjMBck&NR=1

Lot's of Wingchun practitioners likes to say such thing... I don't know if it is true, but I wached video with W.Cheung, the grand master of Wingchun, he said that Lee in his early thirties took some of steroids. But I don't tend to believe this

I need truth, not arguments which springs from some kind of emotions...

Inform me please if You will find something new about this. Thank You
_________________________
Fellow Of Life

Top
#255990 - 01/06/08 04:50 PM Re: bruce lee steroids?! [Re: LifesFist]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Registered: 01/13/05
Posts: 11399
Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Well, I hear time after time from others that Lee took some of steroids. "Just look what he had done with himself, all these muscles, board breaking, push-ups with one finger, etc." My first reaction to this - B.S.!!! At least this video can proof that he was able to do one finger push-ups then he was in his early twenties :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK-PDrjMBck&NR=1

Lot's of Wingchun practitioners likes to say such thing... I don't know if it is true, but I wached video with W.Cheung, the grand master of Wingchun, he said that Lee in his early thirties took some of steroids. But I don't tend to believe this

I need truth, not arguments which springs from some kind of emotions...

Inform me please if You will find something new about this. Thank You




So, steroids make you able to do 1 finger push ups do they? Strange, I have been surrounded by juiced up people for more than half my life, and yet the only person I knew who could do these was a friend in school who was a good gymnast- I am pretty sure that, seeing as how we were 12 and he used to do it to impress girls in the schoolground that he was free of anabolic enhancers

i will say this one more time, nice and slow, just to be clear:
If. Lee. had. been. on. steroids. they. would. have. been. found. in. the. toxicology. report. in. his. autopsy.
They. found. traces. of. marijuana. in. that. report. BUT. NO. SIGN. OF. STEROID. USE.

Thats it.
_________________________
Don't let the door hit ya' where the good lord split ya'
http://cord.mybrute.com

Top
#255991 - 02/10/08 01:50 AM Re: bruce lee steroids?! [Re: TimBlack]
Mastah Offline
Member

Registered: 04/16/07
Posts: 66
Loc: PA
Quote:

I think half the problem here is that almost all the posters (with the exception of Cord) don't know the first thing about performance enhancing drugs. I have, and continue to, studied them very, very carefully from literature published by both sides of the debate (the rabid anti-steroid campaigners and the rabid pro-steroid campaigners) and read the medical reports. I'm actually doing a 6000 word report for my A levels next year. There's some basic myths being thrown out here:

Steroids make you big. CALORIES make you big, food is the most 'anabolic' thing you can use. If you want to use steroids and not get 'big' that's perfectly possible, just don't eat like a family of four, and drop the volume a bit (go 5x5).

People who use steroids are lazy. These guys train damn hard - harder than you (yes, you!). Those American Footballers aren't just popping D-bol and ramming syringes of Test up their a$$es, they train intelligently, and above all, *very* hard.

Steroids will turn you into a mutant freak from Mars. Breasts, shrunken balls, hair loss, heart attacks, the list of supposed side-effects from steroids goes on and on. Steroids can cause side-effects. They almost certainly will. The only *definite* thing that prolonged steroid use *will* do is make you impotent. It could be temporary or permanent, there's not that much evidence beyond the anecdotal for this, and it depends on the individual. Breasts (caused by increase in Eostrogen production) shouldn't happen if you do things properly and use Eostrogen suppressents. Shrunken balls? You can use pills to stop that too. Increased rate of heart attacks? Probably just hokey, I've never seen or heard of a medical study to back this claim up. Hair loss, maybe, some do, some don't. Now, if you're reading that and thinking "waiddaminnit, Tim's advocating steroid use" then stop right there. Steroids are dangerous. There *are* side-effects, but they vary according to who you are and what you use. Believe it or not, there's a world of difference between the different steroids. That's not to mention HGH and other 'interesting' hormones. By the way, HGH causes Gastric distention (big fat stomach). Not too good if you want to impress the ladies

I'm young and healthy, steroids are for me! It couldn't be further from the truth. Steroids WILL stunt your growth. It's proven. Under 21's have NO business taking them. The great shame is that information on steroids, particularly aimed at young people, is so pi$$ poor. They trot out the same old rubbish, and then someone's mate starts taking them, his balls haven't shrivelled into marbles and he's got real hench - "hey, they must be safe" - and hey presto! The ridiculous level of steroid abuse in young people in America, dangerous and stupid. And preventable, if there was some half-decent drugs education.

Roid Rage! Steroids won't turn you into a carbon copy of the Hulk, but less green. They may make you easier to anger, and more sullen. The problem is that many of the people who take steroids were borderline psychotic/easily angered to begin with, and on steroids they've got something to prove.

More is better. It's. Just. Not. If you had a headache and I told you to take 40 aspirin, because it would be more effective, would you believe me?


With that rant off my chest, I'll conclude by saying that you have no business taking steroids unless you 1) are a competitive (ie. Olympic/NFL/NBA level) athlete, 2) have reached your genetic limit of potential (and you, yes you my friend, have not got near), 3) don't want kids, 4)are prepared to go to prison for a very long time, coz guess what, steroids are class A drugs, they're illegal.



Anyway, Bruce Lee and steroids. Cord is right as ever, there is absolutely no evidence that he did. I'm sorry, but there are amateur bodybuilders out there with a far better physique than Bruce Lee. There's no doubt that the man incorporated bodybuilding techniques into his training, in order to look good in the movies, maintained a very low bodyfat percentage, and got 'pumped' before shooting a scene. He was a good trainer evidently, but part of the reason he looks so ripped is simply because of his low bodyfat - look at Brad Pitt in Troy or Fight Club, looks more muscular than he really is because of low bodyfat. I really wish we could just put the whole Bruce Lee steroids debate to rest, because there's just no evidence for it.

Oh yeah, and if he had done steroids (intelligently) then he would have been stronger, faster and tougher. Fact.




Only thing i disagree with, is if you take steroids and are
competing in sports, your a cheater and deserve to be disqualified.
_________________________
“Really great people make you feel that you, too, can become great.” - Mark Twain

Top
#255992 - 02/29/08 04:35 PM Re: bruce lee steroids?! [Re: peter586]
janxspirit Offline
Member

Registered: 02/21/08
Posts: 132
Quote:

does anyone know if bruce lee took steroids?! i read on tommy carruthers site in a forum he said that bruce took steroids! does anyone know if its true




Bruce Lee INVENTED steroids. Seriously.
_________________________
St. Louis MMA Boxing Grappling

Top
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >


Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 




Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

 

 



Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga