FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
ergees 2
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35583 Topics
432511 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#255900 - 05/20/06 12:49 PM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: Dereck]
ChronicGMV Offline

Loc: Miami, Florida
Quote:

Even with 4 months of Karate and 2 classes of Taekwondo, I think it is ludicrous to think that somebody can go from a white belt to a green or a blue belt.

You read me wrong. I didn't indicate that this man said I would be taking a blue or green belt test. He simply said I was on the level of them. I would have been taking the test for a low yellow belt.

Quote:

If board breaking is a part of your curriculum then don't you think it would be proper to know the technique first? Should you not know all of the requirements that is supposedly set up for those belt levels?

I was told the technique I would have to perform for the board break. It was a spinning kick with the heel. I've practiced this kick in my karate school. I know the requirements for the belt: the name of your form, it's meaning, the basics, physical fitness and sparring, I guess (he mentioned nothing of sparring while he told me about the test).

Quote:

Not that is matters but I see he is concerned with the board he will have to break, because after 4 months Karate he seems to indicate that he has never broken before.

Well, in my Karate school we don't break a board until we're testing for our brown belt and that's right before black.

#255901 - 05/20/06 01:03 PM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: Dereck]
gregc618 Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
Quote:

When your Instructor told you that you should test for a green or blue belt did he also mention you could supersize your order?

See you aint right!!!...hahahahaha!! I do think you have made a very valid point in the fact that at testing he'll have to demonstrate every form upto the rank his is trying to achieve. And with 2 days in TKD, it does not appear that they have shown him much.

I only have 3 forms to date, but I better know every one of them. I also only have 3 sets of self-defense combinations to retian thus far, but I better know them all. As a matter of fact I was called on by my master to show a new white belt his defense combinations, so retention is key im finding out.

The first time I tested my master asked me recite the Tenets of TKD. I was like ok sir, and I start with Courtesy... ummmmmm, errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, raaaaaaaaaah, BLANK SIR!!!!

I couldn't beleive it I went absolutely blank...haha

He told he to slow down, and I did the rest just fine. Who would figure, you say them 1000 times and when you reeally nned to know em your brain says "I'm on STRIKE!!"

My master says that was very good Greg, now can you do them in Korean? Just happens that I knew them in Korean as well, but that just shows you can never tell what will be asked of you while you're testing.

I just think its odd that they are pushing so hard to make him a green or blue belt. If he is able to handle it then more power to him though. They really should be working with him a lot more it sounds like however.

Edited by gregc618 (05/20/06 01:27 PM)

#255902 - 05/20/06 06:43 PM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: ChronicGMV]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

Quote:

Even with 4 months of Karate and 2 classes of Taekwondo, I think it is ludicrous to think that somebody can go from a white belt to a green or a blue belt.

You read me wrong. I didn't indicate that this man said I would be taking a blue or green belt test. He simply said I was on the level of them. I would have been taking the test for a low yellow belt.

Then please accept my apology as I mis-interpreted your statement:

Quote:

Well, the Grand Master (Young Soo Do) offered that I take the test that they will be doing tomorrow because he says I'm obviously not on a white belt level, but on a green or blue belt level. So I thought to myself, "hey cool, moving up a belt after being here two days,"

I took that you were advancing to one of "these" belts not to a low yellow belt. I do however still question concerns with not breaking in TKD class. Even if I knew a student had minimal training in another art that including breaking, I would want to see for sure that they knew how to do it in my class under my instruction. Plus even after two days I'd want to make sure that this student could do everything required and be able to do it repeatedly.

Again, I mis-interpreted what you said and I am sorry.

#255903 - 05/20/06 08:57 PM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: gregc618]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
It's werid though, at my school you learn spinning heel kicks at green belt level and that is after a year of practice. I can understand if he did spinning back kick, but spinning heel is a little more advance especially for someone with 6 months total. With such a short ammount of time, you should still be having problems with your round kick.
Vinci

#255904 - 05/20/06 09:06 PM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: TeK9]
ChronicGMV Offline

Quote:

It's werid though, at my school you learn spinning heel kicks at green belt level and that is after a year of practice. I can understand if he did spinning back kick, but spinning heel is a little more advance especially for someone with 6 months total. With such a short ammount of time, you should still be having problems with your round kick.

My Taifu-Shoi Karate Do sensei is the one who taught it to me. And 4 months of experience in my Karate school and you said I should be having problems with a roundhouse? That's a bit awkward.

#255905 - 05/21/06 04:49 AM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: ChronicGMV]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Well if you read the other thread posted by bin, he describes the two kinds of round house kicks. One is the old way, which is very easy to perform. The round house kick I am reffering to is the new one, which was created for sparring, because of it's emphasis on speed. It was a sport science innovation. Rather than chmabering your knee from the side, you chamber stright up like a front kick, this helps disguise the kick, then you twist your knee and hips into the target. The trick is in the hips, this is where the power is generated. This kick is much harder to perform, and really it actually takes a while to get comfortable with it. especially if you learned the old way first. The mechanics are harder.

But hey, if your teacher thinks you should test, then maybe you should. After his criteria may not be as difficult as other schools. This depends on how many belt levels there are in your school. Some green belts may be begginers in some schools and some may be mid ranks in others. Just all depends on the ranking order.

For instance my school only has 6 belts. I believe we have our ranks the same as kukkikwon.
Vinci

#255906 - 05/21/06 09:08 PM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: TeK9]
ChronicGMV Offline

That's a new roundhouse? My sensei taught that kick to me but he didn't introduce it as a new roundhouse. We were taught that it's point of being bought up as if it were a front kick so you can fake your enemy out. Well, the kick is not too far from the norm. roundhouse so anyone can adjust to it quickly.

#255907 - 05/21/06 09:36 PM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: ChronicGMV]
gregc618 Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
Quote:

That's a new roundhouse? My sensei taught that kick to me but he didn't introduce it as a new roundhouse. We were taught that it's point of being bought up as if it were a front kick so you can fake your enemy out. Well, the kick is not too far from the norm. roundhouse so anyone can adjust to it quickly.

After rise of the Olympic sport style of Taekwondo, there were a lot of complaints about the "slow speed" of the round kick and toe injuries from kicking training bags with the ball of the foot, so a different type of round kick was developed. A knee whip motion with an impact that pushes beyond the targett was developed, This was further aided by the in-stepping and kicking at 45 degree angle. This 45 degree round kick was used in the traditional Taekwondo, as in the Choong Moo pattern, but was not used much in sparring.

So there are two types of round kicks in Taekwondo. The "old" style and the "new" style (bit chagi). Both of which are different from the karate "mawashi geri" roundhouse kick.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga