FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 5
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#255890 - 05/19/06 08:49 PM 2 days and a test?
ChronicGMV Offline

Loc: Miami, Florida
Well, I recently joined Taekwondo (literally, I've only started on Tuesday) and I've only been to the class twice, since I plan on going every Tues., Fri., and Saturday. Well, the Grand Master (Young Soo Do) offered that I take the test that they will be doing tomorrow because he says I'm obviously not on a white belt level, but on a green or blue belt level. So I thought to myself, "hey cool, moving up a belt after being here two days," but now thinking about it, I feel uncomfortable because I've only learned the first form today and I'm still rusty on when they start yelling out in Korean the techniques and whatnot. Ontop of that, I've never even attempted breaking a board and I have to do like a spinning kick with the heel to attempt to break this board. May I ask how hard it is to break a single board? Well,he says that the higher you go up in belts, the more kicks you learn, and hey, I'm all for kicks, but I wanna get the basics down first, but maybe the Grad Master sees that I'm capable of the basics already. Well, Grand Master Young Soo Do seems to be awfully well -known (link to website: http://www.youngtaekwondo.com/) martial artist's and knows Pres. Bush and Chuck Norris and all those guys (please, don't get me wrong. I provided a link to Grand Master Young's website only to have you guys take a look to see if you think he is capable of suck a decision after only 2 days and not to seem snotty that I'm taught by him). So I ask, is this a teacher off his rocker, or is it possible that I really am ready for the test? Please, I'd love your advice.

#255891 - 05/19/06 09:34 PM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: ChronicGMV]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Sounds like you have natural talent. Usually if a teacher asks you to test it's because they are confident that you are ready. I have two questions if you dont mind answering.

1. Have you ever practiced the martial arts before?
2. How many belts are there in your system of martial arts?

For example: at my school we have six belts: white, yellow, green, blue, red and black.

However, for each belt we have there is a stripe to each one. For example, after I start as a white belt, my first test will be for my black strip/tip. If I pass my test my teacher will put a black strip of tape on my belt. My next test will be for my yellow belt. The one after that will be for my yellow belt/green stripe then green belt after that green belt/blue stripe. So you see, we have a stripe test in each belt before going on to the next belt. I hope I didn't confuse you.
Vinci

#255892 - 05/19/06 10:04 PM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: TeK9]
ChronicGMV Offline

I have been practicing Karate for the past 4 months and I took on Taekwondo as a means of getting more attention on my legs. In my Karate school, there's white belt(yellow stripe to signify you're in between white and yellow), then there's yellow, green, red, brown, then black and the dans. I've never taken Taekwondo before so I wouldn't know the belts, but from what one of the black belts told me, they have low yellow and high yellow (and etc., etc.). I'm unfamiliar with this low and high, but I can only guess it's the same as the stripe.

But as I've been wondering, is it difficult to break the board in the Taekowndo tests?

#255893 - 05/19/06 10:20 PM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: ChronicGMV]
Mr_Heretik Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bronx NY, USA
My dojang has high purple, high red. Alot of people bash it saying its McDojang stuff, but I don't pay test fees.

The test shouldn't be hard, mine is about 3-4hours long. It consists of:

Stretching and warmup followed by reciting certain school rules, creed, 5 tenents.
A "class" taught by the Master rather than the Head Instructor.
Sparring(Don't worry about this if you have to, only time i saw somebody fail because of their sparring portion was because they got upset and gave up. Try hard and you'll pass.)
Forms & Kwamba
Then comes the board breaking,get as much practice breaking boards as you can, even if you can maybe come early day of the promotion ceremony and have some last second practice, you can't go wrong with that.

#255894 - 05/19/06 10:30 PM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: Mr_Heretik]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
The difficulty of the break depends on what technique you are required to do. My guess is that at your rank it will be a fairly straight forward technique, like a side kick or a downward kick. Those are pretty easy if you have good aim and can get your foot in the right position. Just don't give up. It took me 4 tries to get my break the first time I tested.

Laura

#255895 - 05/20/06 04:06 AM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: ChronicGMV]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

I have a tale to tell ou about my experience. When I tested for my green belt I had to break a board doing a spinning hook kick. Unfortunatly my brother and I bought oak wood boards instead of pine boards. The board I chose to break with a spinning heel kick was slightly thicker on one side more than the other. It was improperly cut. I attemped three spinning heel kicks. I had only been practicing for 1 year and I was giving it my all. I could not break this board. I then switched boards and instead did a spinning back kick. The board broke. I passed.

DO not purchase oak boards, buy pine boards, they are easier to beak. Remember break along the groove of the board not against it.
Vinci

#255896 - 05/20/06 08:23 AM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: ChronicGMV]
gregc618 Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
I know all school don't teach the same but below are some of the things that they all seem to have in common, when it comes down to development/learning process of a student that has started as a white belt.

What does Tae Kwon Do mean?

Can you count in Korean at least to 10 or 20?

Do you know rank (gup versus dan)?

Can you understand and follow basic commands from the Instructor in the Do Jang (ie; cha ryuht, choon bi, bah ro, seijak, or shiuh)?

Do you know the Tenets of TKD?

What is the Pledge? Can you recite it?

What is the meaning of you form/poomse?

Do you know you form?

Do you know any kicking combinations for that level of belt you suppose to test at?

Do you know the self defense combinations for that same level of belt?

You've been told what your breaking technique is, but have you really done it b4?

NOTE: Above are some of the things I've had learn to be prepared for my first test (back in Febuary as a white belt). I an now a green tip, and that has happened only because I attend class 5 times a week. I'm sort of in the deleima that you're in now in that Master feels that I'm ready to test, but I would like some things I'm doin at this rank to clean up. He just laughs and say that Im ready even though I dont believe that I am to be a green belt. But he stressed that if I was not ready, before time to test that I need not worry that he would not allow me to go forward at testing time( next Satuday).

Again our Master always says that if you arent ready then you wont be forced to test. You've been there 2 days only and barely know the routine of the DoJang. I dont understand why the need to rush you at after two days in the school? I dont care how much natural abilty you have I would hope that there are some things that are suppose to be learned with each belt/rank change.

Let's see: White Belt, Yellow belt, Green Tip, Green belt, Green tip, Blue belt. So he seems to think you're ready to skip as much as 5 test? You must have great ability for him to think that, because at best at my dojang we are allowed to only double test once each year. which means we can move 2 slots of rank if a student apples for it, and the application is accepted.

I gather they haven't even taken the time to do that. Wonders how you as a white belt are suppose to know what and how to execute a spinning heal kick when you haven't been shown yet? Not that its very hard to do the spin but you should at least be show what to do.

Finally, it is up to you on testing since you have to pay the fees and that, if you dont feel comfortable then set with the grand master in private and say you dont feel your ready to move that fast. As a green or blue belt there are thing that you very well should know already. Heck, I started near the middle of last november, so far have done 2 tournament, and tested 2 times with my third time being set for next weekend. If I'm thinking that I'm going to fast I can certainly see you point!!! I tested first time last Febuary, and then in April (this yr), now its May and I'm up again for testing.

Good luck, and I'd like to hear what you decide when its all over with!

Edited by gregc618 (05/20/06 09:08 AM)

#255897 - 05/20/06 09:11 AM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: gregc618]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Don't forget he also has 4 months of training in karate. That should count for something.
Vinci

#255898 - 05/20/06 11:19 AM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: TeK9]
gregc618 Offline

Quote:

Don't forget he also has 4 months of training in karate. That should count for something.

Yeah I see that he has another post several ones down where he says that. I guess it comes down to how much time did he devote, and at what level is he performing now. Evidently well enough to skip. Also with 4 months of Karate I would think having to perform a spinning kick would be something that he would be able to do. I'm shocked that he is getting no practice at applying the break that he is suppose to use at testing however.

Here what has me a little puzzled.

Quote:

(ChronicGMV SAYS:) I've never even attempted breaking a board and I have to do like a spinning kick with the heel to attempt to break this board. May I ask how hard it is to break a single board?

Not that is matters but I see he is concerned with the board he will have to break, because after 4 months Karate he seems to indicate that he has never broken before. I'm wonedering if he might not be a kid that is being pushed to fast. Just seems strange that he had a quarter of a year experiance in an MA, and thus far has no breaking experience to date as per him.

My daughter start in august of last year and has not missed a testing date. She is just now up for her blue belt. So I still wonder if they might not be pushing him too far too fast. Four months at Karate with 2 days at a TKD dojang might be a lil much.

I would say he should be ready for a green tip for sure. But then again its not my school, and I'm not the one testing and paying the fees.

#255899 - 05/20/06 12:11 PM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: ChronicGMV]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Even with 4 months of Karate and 2 classes of Taekwondo, I think it is ludicrous to think that somebody can go from a white belt to a green or a blue belt. Bells go off for me and I think it should for others. 4 months of Karate is nothing. 2 classes of Taekwondo is nothing. These are only basics and barely basics at that. If board breaking is a part of your curriculum then don't you think it would be proper to know the technique first? Should you not know all of the requirements that is supposedly set up for those belt levels?

This is only my opinion but something smells fishy. I'm not in your place but if you have to ask questions then that also tells me something. At any belt level I have been at I have had to know the forms, breaks, one-steps and sparring requirements for all of the previous belts ... can you say the same? Can you perform each and everyone of these effeciently? I'd have to say no and therefore taking a test at that level is just insane. What, you've learned your first form only that is a white belt requirement and then he's going to give you a green or blue belt for doing so? Wrong, wrong and wrong.

I have seen other individuals come from other Taekwondo schools join us. They started as "white belts" regardless if they were a colored or black belt at the other school. Their techniques and skills were apparent while training so when testing came up the could test for as high as they wanted those days. With one guy named Ryan, who is a friend now, he went from white belt to blue belt in one test doing all of the forms, all of the one steps, all of the sparring techniques and each and every one of the breaks. He would have went further but this was quite exhausting. Then when he tested again he went from blue belt to red/black stripe. Then he went to the black belt test 6 months later. With the exception of the black belt test, he was not charged for any testing fees. He simple had to learn our curriculum as it was different then his, show he could do "everything" and then he was given the appropriate belt.

I don't see this for yourself. You don't know the curriculum, you cannot do all of the forms, and you have no idea about breaking. Moving on just does not seem like an option and makes me question your Instructor's thinking and program. Again, this is my opinion only. Now if you could do all of this then I would not question it.

As for learning more kicks at that level .... ???????? Our white belts learn the exact same kicks as our black belts. However the higher you get then obviously the more you have done them and the more refined your kicks are. We all train as a group and only break off into belt levels when it comes to doing our forms, practicing our breaks or practicing our one-steps. We all spar together but just show our different techniques required. It is not uncommon to see black belts sparring with white belts and is a good training exercise for both. The white belt as they can go hard as the black belt should be used to it, and for the black belt to learn control and working with others to help refine them.

Plus at every belt level it is expected for you to help those at your level and those below your level. By you helping you learn more about your own requirements and it keeps everything fresh in your memory of what you have already done. I have probably taught more then half the class their patterns and other skills as much as the people above me have helped me. Now seriously, if you are given a green or blue belt are you going to be able to show all the colored belts behind you their techniques? Obviously the answer is NO. And if the answer is NO ... then there should be no way that your Instructor should even consider giving you any belt but the one you are wearing now.

And if your Instructor does so then that makes me question how good any of his students are. If a green or blue belt in your school is nothing more then a two day old white belt ... then your school is lacking big time. What I would suggest is going to another school and looking at their green and blue belts and then see if you can do all of that and then also ask yourself can the student in your school even do this stuff. Look at your black belts and look at other school's black belts. If bells go off then get out of Dodge immediately. When your Instructor told you that you should test for a green or blue belt did he also mention you could supersize your order?

#255900 - 05/20/06 12:49 PM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: Dereck]
ChronicGMV Offline

Quote:

Even with 4 months of Karate and 2 classes of Taekwondo, I think it is ludicrous to think that somebody can go from a white belt to a green or a blue belt.

You read me wrong. I didn't indicate that this man said I would be taking a blue or green belt test. He simply said I was on the level of them. I would have been taking the test for a low yellow belt.

Quote:

If board breaking is a part of your curriculum then don't you think it would be proper to know the technique first? Should you not know all of the requirements that is supposedly set up for those belt levels?

I was told the technique I would have to perform for the board break. It was a spinning kick with the heel. I've practiced this kick in my karate school. I know the requirements for the belt: the name of your form, it's meaning, the basics, physical fitness and sparring, I guess (he mentioned nothing of sparring while he told me about the test).

Quote:

Not that is matters but I see he is concerned with the board he will have to break, because after 4 months Karate he seems to indicate that he has never broken before.

Well, in my Karate school we don't break a board until we're testing for our brown belt and that's right before black.

#255901 - 05/20/06 01:03 PM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: Dereck]
gregc618 Offline

Quote:

When your Instructor told you that you should test for a green or blue belt did he also mention you could supersize your order?

See you aint right!!!...hahahahaha!! I do think you have made a very valid point in the fact that at testing he'll have to demonstrate every form upto the rank his is trying to achieve. And with 2 days in TKD, it does not appear that they have shown him much.

I only have 3 forms to date, but I better know every one of them. I also only have 3 sets of self-defense combinations to retian thus far, but I better know them all. As a matter of fact I was called on by my master to show a new white belt his defense combinations, so retention is key im finding out.

The first time I tested my master asked me recite the Tenets of TKD. I was like ok sir, and I start with Courtesy... ummmmmm, errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, raaaaaaaaaah, BLANK SIR!!!!

I couldn't beleive it I went absolutely blank...haha

He told he to slow down, and I did the rest just fine. Who would figure, you say them 1000 times and when you reeally nned to know em your brain says "I'm on STRIKE!!"

My master says that was very good Greg, now can you do them in Korean? Just happens that I knew them in Korean as well, but that just shows you can never tell what will be asked of you while you're testing.

I just think its odd that they are pushing so hard to make him a green or blue belt. If he is able to handle it then more power to him though. They really should be working with him a lot more it sounds like however.

Edited by gregc618 (05/20/06 01:27 PM)

#255902 - 05/20/06 06:43 PM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: ChronicGMV]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

Quote:

Even with 4 months of Karate and 2 classes of Taekwondo, I think it is ludicrous to think that somebody can go from a white belt to a green or a blue belt.

You read me wrong. I didn't indicate that this man said I would be taking a blue or green belt test. He simply said I was on the level of them. I would have been taking the test for a low yellow belt.

Then please accept my apology as I mis-interpreted your statement:

Quote:

Well, the Grand Master (Young Soo Do) offered that I take the test that they will be doing tomorrow because he says I'm obviously not on a white belt level, but on a green or blue belt level. So I thought to myself, "hey cool, moving up a belt after being here two days,"

I took that you were advancing to one of "these" belts not to a low yellow belt. I do however still question concerns with not breaking in TKD class. Even if I knew a student had minimal training in another art that including breaking, I would want to see for sure that they knew how to do it in my class under my instruction. Plus even after two days I'd want to make sure that this student could do everything required and be able to do it repeatedly.

Again, I mis-interpreted what you said and I am sorry.

#255903 - 05/20/06 08:57 PM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: gregc618]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

It's werid though, at my school you learn spinning heel kicks at green belt level and that is after a year of practice. I can understand if he did spinning back kick, but spinning heel is a little more advance especially for someone with 6 months total. With such a short ammount of time, you should still be having problems with your round kick.
Vinci

#255904 - 05/20/06 09:06 PM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: TeK9]
ChronicGMV Offline

Quote:

It's werid though, at my school you learn spinning heel kicks at green belt level and that is after a year of practice. I can understand if he did spinning back kick, but spinning heel is a little more advance especially for someone with 6 months total. With such a short ammount of time, you should still be having problems with your round kick.

My Taifu-Shoi Karate Do sensei is the one who taught it to me. And 4 months of experience in my Karate school and you said I should be having problems with a roundhouse? That's a bit awkward.

#255905 - 05/21/06 04:49 AM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: ChronicGMV]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Well if you read the other thread posted by bin, he describes the two kinds of round house kicks. One is the old way, which is very easy to perform. The round house kick I am reffering to is the new one, which was created for sparring, because of it's emphasis on speed. It was a sport science innovation. Rather than chmabering your knee from the side, you chamber stright up like a front kick, this helps disguise the kick, then you twist your knee and hips into the target. The trick is in the hips, this is where the power is generated. This kick is much harder to perform, and really it actually takes a while to get comfortable with it. especially if you learned the old way first. The mechanics are harder.

But hey, if your teacher thinks you should test, then maybe you should. After his criteria may not be as difficult as other schools. This depends on how many belt levels there are in your school. Some green belts may be begginers in some schools and some may be mid ranks in others. Just all depends on the ranking order.

For instance my school only has 6 belts. I believe we have our ranks the same as kukkikwon.
Vinci

#255906 - 05/21/06 09:08 PM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: TeK9]
ChronicGMV Offline

That's a new roundhouse? My sensei taught that kick to me but he didn't introduce it as a new roundhouse. We were taught that it's point of being bought up as if it were a front kick so you can fake your enemy out. Well, the kick is not too far from the norm. roundhouse so anyone can adjust to it quickly.

#255907 - 05/21/06 09:36 PM Re: 2 days and a test? [Re: ChronicGMV]
gregc618 Offline

Quote:

That's a new roundhouse? My sensei taught that kick to me but he didn't introduce it as a new roundhouse. We were taught that it's point of being bought up as if it were a front kick so you can fake your enemy out. Well, the kick is not too far from the norm. roundhouse so anyone can adjust to it quickly.

After rise of the Olympic sport style of Taekwondo, there were a lot of complaints about the "slow speed" of the round kick and toe injuries from kicking training bags with the ball of the foot, so a different type of round kick was developed. A knee whip motion with an impact that pushes beyond the targett was developed, This was further aided by the in-stepping and kicking at 45 degree angle. This 45 degree round kick was used in the traditional Taekwondo, as in the Choong Moo pattern, but was not used much in sparring.

So there are two types of round kicks in Taekwondo. The "old" style and the "new" style (bit chagi). Both of which are different from the karate "mawashi geri" roundhouse kick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga