FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 6
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Today at 07:16 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432449 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#253966 - 06/04/06 05:24 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Kent, U.K.
Where has everybody gone?

I have had a very intense weekend of training it has been great. Learnt loads and for a change have had some sun so we made the most out of it by training outside.
Anyway therefore I have not had time to measure up, although I have been stretching.
I will post my measurements during the week sometime.

#253967 - 06/05/06 01:30 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Loc: Kent, UK
Yeah,

Where is everybody!! Similar story to you Tezza, been having a good week and stretched a lot so I feel that my progress should be quite good for once!! Although I've only got time for this short post because i'm off up to Lincolnshire to my home town for a black belt presentation for some other students of my chief instructor and a seminar on ground fighting. So I shall post my results asap!!

Take care everyone.

Rossko

#253968 - 06/05/06 05:34 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Glad to see you have been stretching as well.
I have been focusing mainly on my sidesplits this last week as I wanted to try and improve that the most. So therefore I am hoping for more of an increase with that rather than the other two.
Have fun in Lincolnshire RossKo and I look forward to seeing your results once you get back.
I will post mine later on either today or tomorrow.

#253969 - 06/05/06 09:28 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
onb Offline

Loc: Canada

Well, further to my moment of in my last post...

I haven't been doing much in the way of stretching. My hamstring and knee are so buggered I took the weekend off to try to let them recover. Truthfully they are getting a bit better but are still sore. I think the knee needs a week or two of recovery (i'm not sure if I can handle not training for two weeks though). The hamstring is kinda weird. It started out mid thigh right in the back (typical hamstring location) but then it seemed to have moved higher up into the mid point in the butt cheek... now, its moved even higher right up at the top/centre. Kinda right at that point where the butt turns into back closer to the spine. I'm wondering if that is improvement or a sign it's getting worse.

Anyway, no measurements right now.

#253970 - 06/05/06 11:12 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: onb]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

The best thing for you now Onb is some rest, becuase if you carry on stretching you could make it worst therefore in my opinion you should rest it and if you want maybe do a light stretch.
What exactly did you do to your body?
If the pain continues you may want to see a doctor.
Hope you get better soon and can continue with your stretching,
Tezza

#253971 - 06/05/06 12:22 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
onb Offline

Loc: Canada

Tezza,

What did I do to my body?

I got a zipper like shin splint on my left shin from when I was doing a turning kick... But it was so hot in the gym that my heel stuck to the ground so all that upper body and kicking leg tourque loaed right onto my shin (luckily not my knee or ankle) but it felt like someone ran a zipper up my shin bone - ouch

My knee has always been kinda bad (from playing soccer) more recently I just hyper extended it in a game and it isn't getting any better... then I got slide tackled on the same knee which just made it a bunch worse.

As for my hamstring... last tournament I was in we had to sit on the side of the mat and watch all teh younger competitors of the same belt level before we could compete... so I sat on the hardwood floor for about 6 hours waiting not able to warm up or properly stretch. Then when competition time came up it was like... go now! no warm up, no stretch time ect. So I got up and did my best (double gold medals actually) which i must admit I am rather proud of but the thing was that in one fight I delivered a 'perfect' roundhouse to his head which I'm fairly certain was higher than my usual limit. Well, anyway between that an feeling all jazzed afterwards and at the following classes, I really started pushing my stretches to try to avoid that strain in the tournament... well, one day I was having a particularly good stretch and I felt all the little tingles and stuff but then I felt something withing the muscle that was odd. No pain but it felt ... fiberous (muscle fibres sliding against each other). Well I think that fiberous feeling was the feeling of my hamstring tearing. Fast forward 6 months later and i'm still in pain.

and that's my sob story

onb

#253972 - 06/06/06 07:38 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: onb]
RossKo Offline

Sorry guys no time to stretch and measure etc, just wanted to put in my advice for Onb. Due to the location of the pain now (you mentioned that it was up into your buttock area) I think that there may be a chance of some Sciatica (not sure how to spell) in my day job in the gym I come across loads of people who have this problem. Its basically something to do with the Sciatic Nerve becoming trapped, as far as I'm aware this nerve travels down under your buttock and down the leg at the back - under the hamstrings. I'm no doctor and could be way off but I'd recomend you don't listen to us on here and go and get some proffesional advice. The rest of your injurys sound like they probably were caused by all the factors you say but if you have some Sciatic trouble too then that wont help matters any!!! Rest is obvious but maybe theres more that can be done to help you in the form of some proper attention!!!!

Congratulations by the way on the results of your comp. I've competed quite a lot before and know what you mean about the nightmare that is waiting for you catagory to come up. It usually comes before you thought it was going to and then straight onto the mat, cold, no stretch or nothing, show some respect, touch gloves and go!!

Keep us posted on the injury and GO TO THE DOCS!!!!!!!!!!!

Rossko

#253973 - 06/06/06 08:13 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: onb]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Onb,

Firstly congratulations on you competition.
Secondly the best bit of advice I can give is to go see your doctor, as I am not a doctor and also I cannot realy tell what is wrong with you just from talking on a forum.
So sorry I cannot be of much help.
Although I do think what RossKo is saying is quite relevant although just to make sure go to your doctor and see what he thinks of it, as he may just say you need rest or he could well say that there is a serious problem with you body.
So the best advice I can give is to go see a doctor and see what he has to say about it.
Please post the result of what the doctor says as I may be able to help after knowing the result from the doctor.
Good luck and hope you get better soon,

Tezza

P.s I have had many injuries in my time and I would have to say that the best thing for any injury is rest so don't try and do anything stupid on it.

#253974 - 06/07/06 04:25 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Hi all,

I thought seeing as no one else has time to measure I thought I mght as well make some so that I keep up the habbit of measuring each week.
I have mainly been focusing on my sidesplits this last week seeing as this is the area that I want to improve the most.
So here they are:

Side split 27cms off floor
Front split (Left forwards) 15cms off floor
Front split (Right forwards) 16cms off floor

Not much of a gain although I am slowly getting there which I am happy with, seeing as gradually is better than not at all.
Anyways can't wait to see all of your progress.

#253975 - 06/09/06 05:59 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Hi Tezza,

Thats a result!! Getting better every week! I will definately measure this weekend. I know I've been slack by not measuring yet but I've honestly had a good week stretching myself. I have strayed from my set routine now and play it by ear. Still doing my dynamic stretches in the morning but often following them with relaxed stretches as well and then in the evenings doing a few extra dynamic stretches that I wouldn't normally do before I do my other stretches. I still do isometric stretches for my inner thigh strength/flexibility and I do them on the same day as a leg workout. Playing it by ear so to speak has really improved my motivation because I used to think that if I didn't have time for my full stretch then I'd not bother at all but now I'm proving beyond a shadow of a doubt even a small token stretch is enough to keep my results coming. I really hope my measurements are better this week but even if my gains are small I know that its much easier to get down there now. Plus my side kick is at just over 8 feet high! Admittedly no practical point in a side kick that high unless Lurch from the Addams Family should pick on me but a visible improvement none the less! Thanks for this everyone cos I recon its working!!

Rossko

Page 5 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga