FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#253926 - 05/13/06 10:59 AM Stretching buddy
RossKo Offline

Loc: Kent, UK
Hi all,

I hope I'm not the only one of use out there who has this problem but this will really help to sort it out for someone!

I, like many other people who practice martial arts need to become more flexible. I'm currently in training for my 2nd Dan and two of the techniques require near side split flexibility. The only problem is, I cant do the splits to save my life! Its not that I'm not flexible, or aren't getting results from my stretching routine. Its that I probably would get the result I wanted if I just stuck to the schedule. I know that my 2nd dan should be motivation enough but it just seems such a long way off until I grade that I keep pushing it back in my mind! Stupid I know.

So my idea is to get a stretching buddy! Anybody in the world who wants to also become as flexible as possible but seems to lack the motivation to do so. We could post weekly results or something to each other on how we are doing and how many times we managed to stretch etc, maybe swap ideas and stuff too.

If this seems lame then please feel free to slay me but if even one of you lot out there wants too then it could the answer I'm looking for!

Thanks

Rossko

#253927 - 05/13/06 02:55 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Kent, U.K.
It isn't a stupid idea it sounds very good and would help motivate everyone. I would happily post my progress as recently I have just started up my stretching again as I really want to progress with it.
We did have a while back a post similar, that was to show the progress of MikeMartial when he tried Tom Kurz's technique. Click Here
Although I feel that a more up to date version would be a good idea. So I am in. I reckon we should get everyone to post their progress. It would be interesting.
Good luck

#253928 - 05/13/06 03:39 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Foundation Offline

This is quite a good idea, but you have to compare it in the longer run. If you look at short term results you can get demotivated when you have lack of progress or when you get worse.
If you want I'll post my progress as well (together with my routine then)
The most beneficial to me to keep stretching is to get a set routine and stick to it, keeping in mind that if I do that I can do the splits someday.
So from today on I'll try to monitor my progress with the front (back leg sideways) and sideplit.

#253929 - 05/14/06 07:58 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Quote:

We did have a while back a post similar, that was to show the progress of MikeMartial when he tried Tom Kurz's technique.

I remember that post and I actually looked on it again yesterday before I posted this one to see if there was any new reply's etc. I was sad to see there wasn't as I had followed it with much interest! I've actually PM'd him about it, does anyone know if he still comes on here?
I'm really pleased you guys are in favour of it though!! Bad timing I guess tho cos I'm off to Spain for 5 days as of tonight but when I get back I promise to post my stretching routine (which incidentally is also using the Kurtz method) and we can all be stretch buddies!! I'm in it for the long hall, I think success breeds success, so when we start to reap the benefits of regular stretching there will be no stopping us!

Thanks all,

Ross

#253930 - 05/16/06 02:50 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Well as soon as you come back then we can start by first stating our routines, etc.
Have a nice and safe trip and we will speak once you get back.
Also if there are any others that are interested then please feel free to add to this post as the more the better.
I am in for the long hall as well.

#253931 - 05/18/06 03:19 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
onb Offline

Loc: Canada
Rossco & Tezza,

This sounds like a really spiffy idea... I'll bet there are a bunch of 'buddies' out there looking for a support group for stretching... myself included.

onb

#253932 - 05/19/06 06:51 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: onb]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Good, good the more the merrier

#253933 - 05/20/06 11:05 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Hi everyone,

I'm back now! Got more response than I thought, great! Like Tezza says "the more the merrier!"

My stretch routine is as follows:

MONDAY: AM - Dynamic stretches (leg swings 3x10 to front, side and rear)
PM - Isometric stretches (contracting and relaxing the stretching muscle until maximum stretch and then holding for 30 secs.) I use 3 sets each of two stretches for hams, quads and adductors (inside thigh) I also do my legs in the gym on this day as it follows my kickboxing class which was the day before

TUESDAY: AM - Dynamic stretches
PM - Relaxed Stretching (Normal strech comprising basically of just sliding into the stretch position and holding for 30 secs) I do 3 sets each of two different stretches for Hams, Quads and adductors.

WEDNESDAY: AM - Dynamic Stretches
PM - Relaxed stretches (the same as for Tuesday) I also do my class again today and some technique training.

THURSDAY: Same as Monday (including the leg workout)

FRIDAY: OFF (Nothing at all)

SATURDAY: AM - Dymamic Stretches
PM - Isometric Stretches (same as for Monday and Friday)

SUNDAY: OFF (although I do have to teach my class and warmup and stretch my students but it is a new fairly beginner class so nothing too heavy!)

My stretch routine is trying to follow Thomas Kurtz method which after reading I was quite impressed with. Although due to my set comittments such as teaching my classes etc it has taken some careful thought to arrange everything so that it fits within a week! I'm looking forward to reading everone elses routines to see how much variation there is. Also we will need some sort of universal measuring method to measure our progress. How about measuring from crotch to floor (clothed that is!)

Rossko

#253934 - 05/20/06 11:56 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Hi RossKo,

Did you have a good trip? Looks like you have planned out your regime rather well.
Yes from crotch to floor (clothed)would be a good way to see how we are progressing.
As you said you have class so you have to work around that. You probably do some stretching in class but why not leave 15 minutes for the end of each class for everyone to do stretching. This is what our school does and its great becuase it motivates everyone and also is a nice little time to try some new stretches. It would be a nice change to all the normal stretches that you will be doin over and over again.
Just an idea.

#253935 - 05/20/06 12:11 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

My routine is very similar to yours RossKo

I would appreciate any criticism on it as I don’t know people may feel that this is too much.
Friday varies as Friday I would normally do a variety of stretches not relevant for side split it is just for other purposes.

MONDAY: AM - Dynamic stretches (leg swings 3x10 to front, side and rear)
PM – Dynamic stretches (leg swings 3x10 to front, side and rear) as part of warm up
Isometric stretches (contracting and relaxing the stretching muscle until maximum stretch and then holding for 30 secs.) I use 3 sets each of two stretches for hams, quads and adductors
I also have training so I do 15-20 minutes of stretching with everyone else then as well

TUESDAY: AM - Dynamic stretches (leg swings 3x10 to front, side and rear)
PM – Dynamic stretches (leg swings 3x10 to front, side and rear)
Relaxed Stretching (Normal stretch comprising basically of just sliding into the stretch position and holding for 30 secs) I do 3 sets each of two different stretches for Hams, adductors and Quads.

WEDNESDAY: AM - Dynamic Stretches
PM - Dynamic stretches (leg swings 3x10 to front, side and rear) as part of warm up
Relaxed stretches (the same as for Tuesday) I also do my class again today and some technique training.

THURSDAY: Same as Monday

FRIDAY: OFF General warm-up i.e. skipping, dynamic stretches
Specific warm-up roundhouse kicks
Main part; kicking (a variety of different kicks)
Cool down: relaxed stretches

SATURDAY: AM - Dynamic Stretches
PM - Isometric Stretches (same as for Monday)

SUNDAY: OFF (day of rest)

Please feel free to criticise. I have still got to measure the distance from crotch to floor.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga