FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
ergees 2
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35583 Topics
432511 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#253926 - 05/13/06 10:59 AM Stretching buddy
RossKo Offline

Loc: Kent, UK
Hi all,

I hope I'm not the only one of use out there who has this problem but this will really help to sort it out for someone!

I, like many other people who practice martial arts need to become more flexible. I'm currently in training for my 2nd Dan and two of the techniques require near side split flexibility. The only problem is, I cant do the splits to save my life! Its not that I'm not flexible, or aren't getting results from my stretching routine. Its that I probably would get the result I wanted if I just stuck to the schedule. I know that my 2nd dan should be motivation enough but it just seems such a long way off until I grade that I keep pushing it back in my mind! Stupid I know.

So my idea is to get a stretching buddy! Anybody in the world who wants to also become as flexible as possible but seems to lack the motivation to do so. We could post weekly results or something to each other on how we are doing and how many times we managed to stretch etc, maybe swap ideas and stuff too.

If this seems lame then please feel free to slay me but if even one of you lot out there wants too then it could the answer I'm looking for!

Thanks

Rossko

#253927 - 05/13/06 02:55 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Kent, U.K.
It isn't a stupid idea it sounds very good and would help motivate everyone. I would happily post my progress as recently I have just started up my stretching again as I really want to progress with it.
We did have a while back a post similar, that was to show the progress of MikeMartial when he tried Tom Kurz's technique. Click Here
Although I feel that a more up to date version would be a good idea. So I am in. I reckon we should get everyone to post their progress. It would be interesting.
Good luck

#253928 - 05/13/06 03:39 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Foundation Offline

This is quite a good idea, but you have to compare it in the longer run. If you look at short term results you can get demotivated when you have lack of progress or when you get worse.
If you want I'll post my progress as well (together with my routine then)
The most beneficial to me to keep stretching is to get a set routine and stick to it, keeping in mind that if I do that I can do the splits someday.
So from today on I'll try to monitor my progress with the front (back leg sideways) and sideplit.

#253929 - 05/14/06 07:58 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Quote:

We did have a while back a post similar, that was to show the progress of MikeMartial when he tried Tom Kurz's technique.

I remember that post and I actually looked on it again yesterday before I posted this one to see if there was any new reply's etc. I was sad to see there wasn't as I had followed it with much interest! I've actually PM'd him about it, does anyone know if he still comes on here?
I'm really pleased you guys are in favour of it though!! Bad timing I guess tho cos I'm off to Spain for 5 days as of tonight but when I get back I promise to post my stretching routine (which incidentally is also using the Kurtz method) and we can all be stretch buddies!! I'm in it for the long hall, I think success breeds success, so when we start to reap the benefits of regular stretching there will be no stopping us!

Thanks all,

Ross

#253930 - 05/16/06 02:50 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Well as soon as you come back then we can start by first stating our routines, etc.
Have a nice and safe trip and we will speak once you get back.
Also if there are any others that are interested then please feel free to add to this post as the more the better.
I am in for the long hall as well.

#253931 - 05/18/06 03:19 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
onb Offline

Loc: Canada
Rossco & Tezza,

This sounds like a really spiffy idea... I'll bet there are a bunch of 'buddies' out there looking for a support group for stretching... myself included.

onb

#253932 - 05/19/06 06:51 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: onb]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Good, good the more the merrier

#253933 - 05/20/06 11:05 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Hi everyone,

I'm back now! Got more response than I thought, great! Like Tezza says "the more the merrier!"

My stretch routine is as follows:

MONDAY: AM - Dynamic stretches (leg swings 3x10 to front, side and rear)
PM - Isometric stretches (contracting and relaxing the stretching muscle until maximum stretch and then holding for 30 secs.) I use 3 sets each of two stretches for hams, quads and adductors (inside thigh) I also do my legs in the gym on this day as it follows my kickboxing class which was the day before

TUESDAY: AM - Dynamic stretches
PM - Relaxed Stretching (Normal strech comprising basically of just sliding into the stretch position and holding for 30 secs) I do 3 sets each of two different stretches for Hams, Quads and adductors.

WEDNESDAY: AM - Dynamic Stretches
PM - Relaxed stretches (the same as for Tuesday) I also do my class again today and some technique training.

THURSDAY: Same as Monday (including the leg workout)

FRIDAY: OFF (Nothing at all)

SATURDAY: AM - Dymamic Stretches
PM - Isometric Stretches (same as for Monday and Friday)

SUNDAY: OFF (although I do have to teach my class and warmup and stretch my students but it is a new fairly beginner class so nothing too heavy!)

My stretch routine is trying to follow Thomas Kurtz method which after reading I was quite impressed with. Although due to my set comittments such as teaching my classes etc it has taken some careful thought to arrange everything so that it fits within a week! I'm looking forward to reading everone elses routines to see how much variation there is. Also we will need some sort of universal measuring method to measure our progress. How about measuring from crotch to floor (clothed that is!)

Rossko

#253934 - 05/20/06 11:56 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Hi RossKo,

Did you have a good trip? Looks like you have planned out your regime rather well.
Yes from crotch to floor (clothed)would be a good way to see how we are progressing.
As you said you have class so you have to work around that. You probably do some stretching in class but why not leave 15 minutes for the end of each class for everyone to do stretching. This is what our school does and its great becuase it motivates everyone and also is a nice little time to try some new stretches. It would be a nice change to all the normal stretches that you will be doin over and over again.
Just an idea.

#253935 - 05/20/06 12:11 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

My routine is very similar to yours RossKo

I would appreciate any criticism on it as I don’t know people may feel that this is too much.
Friday varies as Friday I would normally do a variety of stretches not relevant for side split it is just for other purposes.

MONDAY: AM - Dynamic stretches (leg swings 3x10 to front, side and rear)
PM – Dynamic stretches (leg swings 3x10 to front, side and rear) as part of warm up
Isometric stretches (contracting and relaxing the stretching muscle until maximum stretch and then holding for 30 secs.) I use 3 sets each of two stretches for hams, quads and adductors
I also have training so I do 15-20 minutes of stretching with everyone else then as well

TUESDAY: AM - Dynamic stretches (leg swings 3x10 to front, side and rear)
PM – Dynamic stretches (leg swings 3x10 to front, side and rear)
Relaxed Stretching (Normal stretch comprising basically of just sliding into the stretch position and holding for 30 secs) I do 3 sets each of two different stretches for Hams, adductors and Quads.

WEDNESDAY: AM - Dynamic Stretches
PM - Dynamic stretches (leg swings 3x10 to front, side and rear) as part of warm up
Relaxed stretches (the same as for Tuesday) I also do my class again today and some technique training.

THURSDAY: Same as Monday

FRIDAY: OFF General warm-up i.e. skipping, dynamic stretches
Specific warm-up roundhouse kicks
Main part; kicking (a variety of different kicks)
Cool down: relaxed stretches

SATURDAY: AM - Dynamic Stretches
PM - Isometric Stretches (same as for Monday)

SUNDAY: OFF (day of rest)

Please feel free to criticise. I have still got to measure the distance from crotch to floor.

#253936 - 05/20/06 01:01 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Hi Mate,

I had a great holiday thanks, lots of sun and rest. Only then I had to come back and the weather is shocking!
Regarding your suggestion, I have started (well, last time I taught) to warm-up the class, dynamic stretch and save relaxed stretches until the last 15 mins, so spot on idea dude. I dont give my students isometric stretches because of it not being good for children and so forth. your routine is similar to mine although you seem to work harder at it. my suggestion is to have a good week stretching and measure up at weekends, what do you say? Did you read the thomas kurtz book? also how old is everyone, i'm 24.

Rossko

#253937 - 05/20/06 01:17 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Yes I agree it would be a good idea to have a good week of stretching and then measure at the end of the week.
I think we should all measure before we all start our proper workouts just so that we can see how much of an increase we get from when we first started.
You may even want to take a photograph to look back at; I feel this could motivate people because when they see a difference it makes them want to try harder.
And to answer your question yes I have read Tom Kurz's book many times.
I have also read various other books on the matter, but the one that helped design my workout was Tom Kurz's book.

#253938 - 05/20/06 03:49 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
Foundation Offline

I usually don't have a lot of time so my stretching is very brief:
I only stretch in the evenings, no time during the morning rush. I also don't have such a fancy routine.
warmup: 10 dynamic leg raises (front, side & back)
day 1:
-PNF stretching: psoas, quads, hamstrings, buttocks
-relaxed stretching (30 secs) side split (adductors)

day 2:
-PNF stretching (contracting 10 secs, contracting antagonist 10 secs, relax 10 secs): side split
-relaxed stretching: psoas, quads, hamstrings, buttocks

I keep alternating these.

Well I know it's very simplistic, but it seems to work, I measured exactly what you said for about a week, and there seems to be at least some improvement. I'll look for it and post it later.

One remark:
Quote:

Isometric stretches (contracting and relaxing the stretching muscle until maximum stretch and then holding for 30 secs.) I use 3 sets each of two stretches for hams, quads and adductors

Isometric stretches require at least 36 hours of rest for your muscles. But you do several quickly after eachother, most sources I've read state that that slows your progress down and that you should stick with only 1 isometric stretch a day, you can do relaxed stretches as much as you like though.

Edit: here are the values I measured this weak (in cm):
front (randomly chosen left leg in front, in the middle I noticed the other way is better but I persisted on that side) (not a lot of progress really): *(somehow I felt a pain in my knee so I stopped), 13, 13, *(ill), 14, 12, 11
side (some decent progress, too bad I was ill): 24, 20, 18, *(ill), 21, 19, 17.
Total gains for a front split 2 cm, side split 7 cm.

Edited by Foundation (05/20/06 04:47 PM)

#253939 - 05/23/06 08:24 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Foundation]
RossKo Offline

Wow, I'm genuinely impressed by your results. Especially considering you only stretch once per day!! I took what you said on board about isometric stretching too often. What I shall do in light of what you said is continue on my routine as it is for the next 4 weeks, logging my progress and then for another 4 weeks adjust my routine as you suggest. Then see which works best for me. My suspicion is that you are right (I thought it seemed a lot when I first read it in the book) but I would first like to make sure. No insult intended by that by the way.

Tezza, pictures sounds like a good idea but at present I cannot get them on my pc cos my pc won't support the software that came with my mobile but I'm getting another pc soonish so should be able to do them eventually. Unless of course i get that elusive side split between two chairs in the meantime and then I might go to the trouble of sorting a pic out some other way!!!!!!

Just off to warm up and stretch now so that I can give some starting figures. I've been so busy I couldn't get to my computer for a few days and didn't want you lot to think I'd lost interest so that's why I've replyed first!

#253940 - 05/23/06 09:08 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
RossKo Offline

Okay...here it is,

very dissapointing! Didn't have time to warm up, just did dynamic stretches, front and side only due to going to work in a minute, 3 sets of 10.

Side split 34cms off floor
Front split (Left forwards) 17cms off floor
Front split (Right forwards) 18cms off floor.

What do you all do for warm-up apart from dynamics?

Rossko

#253941 - 05/23/06 09:23 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Like Kurz says rotation of the joints. I also do a bit of skipping and some other general warm up exercises just to get the body pumping ready for the main stretches.

#253942 - 05/23/06 10:39 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

I have just measured myself like yours very dissapointing! I Didn't have time to warm up, just did dynamic stretches, front and side. I will have to do it again with a proper warm up but here are my results:

Side split 30cms off floor exactly
Front split (Left forwards) 17cms off floor
Front split (Right forwards) 19cms off floor.

This is my first measurement so I hope we will be seeing improvements shortly
Also this is without a proper warmup so it might be a few cms lower after a warm up.

#253943 - 05/24/06 06:00 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Very similar Tezza,

I did a leg workout the day before stretching too so I think I may be able to shave a few centimetres off my split. Hopefully my side split. The technique I'm needing the splits for is called a butterfly side kick, where I jump up and perform a double side kick. I don't strictly need to be in the splits but i have to be able to reach chest height with both legs at the same time! If that technique isn't bad enough I also have to do a butterfly crescent kick. Same as butterfly side kick but with crescent kicks. My chief instructor says that when he did it and he was younger he could do the splits no problem and it nearly ripped his hips open!!

Rossko

#253944 - 05/25/06 04:51 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

I have no main reason like you to limber up as they say.
Although I do want to become more flexible and through doing this stretching buddy idea I think it will help to motivate me much more. So thats why I am in

#253945 - 05/26/06 06:04 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

It will soon be the weekend so I hope everyone has been stretching plenty and is ready to post their measurements!

Rossko

#253946 - 05/26/06 06:15 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

I don't think I will see much of an improvement this first week but it doesnt happen over night so I reckon within the next few weeks I should start to see an improvement.
I will still post my measurements though.
How is your stretching going?

#253947 - 05/26/06 10:18 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
onb Offline

I've been meaning to post 'cuz I plan on working on the stretching thing too.

So, Here I am here me stretch - rrrrrrip! oops, who needed that hamstring?

I've been having a hard time remembering to do my measurements so... here they are... I just did the measurement here in my office cubicle 8am, un-warmed up, lookin' kinda goofy stretching

Side Split: 20"
Left front: 14"
Right front: 14"

Actually I was a little surprised. I thought I would be much less flexible than this.

As for my stretching routine:

Monday: Warm up, 30 min of various stretches before TKD class.
Tuesday: Dynamic stretches in PM
Wednesday: Same as Monday
Thrusday: Warm up & general stretches before Soccer
Friday: Drink beer
Saturday: Either Monday's routine or Dynamic stretches in AM if I dont' go to class
Sunday: sleep in.

By general stretches I mean static stretches of all major muscles with a focus on calfs, hamstrings, adductors, and buttocks. The dynamic stretches are the three main ones that Kurz talks about, front kick, side kick, back kick. And generally, I'm pretty lazy so... two sets of 10 probably.

onb

#253948 - 05/26/06 11:17 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: onb]
Foundation Offline

What unit does " refer to? As far as I know it's seconds, which could define a corner but which seems rather unpractical (and extremely small).

#253949 - 05/26/06 12:23 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Foundation]
onb Offline

Hey Foundation,

Yah, i was being lazy... and even though I'm a Canadian which, like Belgium, is metric, I gave the measurements in inches. " is the sign for inches. ' is for feet.

Quote:

What unit does " refer to? As far as I know it's seconds, which could define a corner but which seems rather unpractical (and extremely small).

So, This works out to

Side: 16.5" ~ 42cm (I just remesured)
Left: 14 inches - ~35cm
Right: 14 inches - ~35cm

onb

#253950 - 05/26/06 02:49 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: onb]
Foundation Offline

Thank you for clearing that up. I'm not familiar with inches, feet, miles, etc.

#253951 - 05/26/06 04:14 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Foundation]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

I think its better if everyone measures in cm's because then we can all compare our results.

#253952 - 05/26/06 04:56 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
onb Offline

ok, only metric from now on.

#253953 - 05/28/06 04:47 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: onb]
RossKo Offline

Hiya stretchy people,

I know theres a lot of people out there who don't need this kind of help with their stretching (the lucky ones who remember to stretch often and can do the splits every which way and sideways!) but I must say your were really low there Onb. You made me well jealous and determined to improve mine!!

I've just come back from teaching my class and am now going to settle in for the evening with my girlfriend so no time to re-warm-up and stretch etc so just dropped into the splits (I wish) to measure my progress. Should point out that while this forum/post has made me remember to stretch more than I ever would have before, unfortunately i've still been a bit lazy and only stretched on monday or tuesday (not sure which) Wednesday, Thursday, a bit on saturday and in my class today! Sorry guys.

Small progress tho which i'm pleased with so far.

Side Split - 31cm
Left Forward Front Split - 16cm
Right Forward Front Split - 16.5cm

I think my front would improve pretty easy but not worked on that too much, been focusing mostly on my side splits.

Got to go now you lot, I'll post a proper warmed up stretch asap!

Rossko

#253954 - 05/28/06 05:31 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Foundation Offline

Last week with measuring every day I kind of pushed myself too hard and my left adductor started hurting a little, so this week I didn't push anything (so no results either, but at least got a bit of recovery while still keeping my previous results)

Side split: 17 cm
Front split (left foot forward): 11 cm
(right foor forward): 9 cm
Clearly no gains, but at least I recovered a bit so I suppose I'll start seeing results this week again.
I'll remember never to measure daily again, somehow I didn't feel anything during stretching and was fine and only started feeling it near the end of the week
Now I feel motivated to improve these results while knowing I can't push it, argh the contraticting feelings

#253955 - 05/28/06 05:36 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Congratulations on the progress. I must admit like you this week has been slow and due to work I havent had much time.
Although seeing as I have just put in for 2 weeks holiday I will starting from tomorrow take this very serious as I want to see good progress.
Here are my results for you this week. Once again I did not have time to do a proper warm up:

Side split 30cms off floor
Front split (Left forwards) 15.5cms off floor
Front split (Right forwards) 18cms off floor.

So not really much change from before although from now onwards this will not be the case
And I hope it will be the same with you RossKo.

#253956 - 05/29/06 01:44 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

My main problem to be honest isn't the actual act of stretching but the question of the warm-up.

I'll set the scene; early morning, about to get ready for work, girlfriend possibly still asleep, wooden floorboards (squeaky) and sleepdust in one of my eyes.

Now I've come across numerous ideas around this some of which include bodyweight exercises for my legs such as lunges, burpees etc, sometimes its slow motion kicks, sometimes fast kicks but often none of the above and breaking a very important rule - often just go straight into dymnamic stretches.

What do you folks do??

Rossko

#253957 - 05/29/06 05:02 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

I have very similar problems RossKo. I wake up and the last thing I feel like is doing a warm up. Also like you there are also others in the house so it makes it hard as you do not want to wake them.
Yet this is a big issue the best thing to do is motivate yourself, just think of the benefits once all the main stretching is over.
Also for the noise issue go in you garden and do it (not your front garden otherwise you may get passers by looking at you strangely).
I have this problem everyday although I have thought to myself that I have made up excuses for too long and from now onwards I must do something about it, even if it means getting up that extra few minutes earlier.
Hope this helps

#253958 - 05/29/06 06:51 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
onb Offline

Hey Tezz,Rossco, & Foundation

I kinda thought that I was pretty inflexible that day... That was un-warmed up. I've actually found that I get less statically flexible after a work out as compared to before. The dynamic flex gets better by the end of class though... weird eh?

I've got a little bit of improvement for my un-warmed in-office stretch. Everyone thinks i'm a goof as I'm stretching and measuring with my ruler!

New measurements:
Side: 38cm (worse here but this is TOTALLY un-warmed)
Right front: 28cm
Left front: 30cm

I'm the least flexible of my club, everyone else is rubber like Foundation is...

onb

#253959 - 05/29/06 07:16 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: onb]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

I understand where you are coming from Onb. I am not that flexible as some of the people at my club, although I dont let this affect me its helps motivate me even more.

#253960 - 05/31/06 02:11 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Yeah don't worry Onb, you side split is not so bad, especially without a warm-up. Foundation is a bendy bugger!! Cant all be like him!

Last night and the night before I did a really good stretching session. My problems to the warm-up are sorted. I walk for 5 mins (out side of course) and then run home! I don't do it all running cos I've been told running shortens the muscle and doesn't make a really good stretch warm-up!

Got class tonight so more stretching too - I hope I can keep it up.

Laters - Rossko

p.s. Good idea Tezza but no garden!!

#253961 - 05/31/06 06:17 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Glad to see you have found a warm up. There is no problem with running, its cycling that you want to try and avoid.
Any type of warm up is better than none at all. So keep it up RossKo

#253962 - 05/31/06 01:03 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
onb Offline

... I was gonna say, running is a great warm up for stretching. But really, in the morning when you're still asleep, I find jsut some light little jumps and bobs to get goin' is all i'm ready to do. A few burpies, and high knee running on the spot for a minute or so. Then into the stretches

That beign said, i've been really bad at my morning regime. I'm guessing it's fairly common for us all to have a hard time with our stretching commitments.

And now for my moment of ...
@**#! knee!
(&*#&^$& shin splints!!
@*&%$* &%@#$*%&#*$ %&&&# (deep breath) @$#!! #%!@# HAMRSTING!!! DIE Hamstring DIE!!!

I'm on the verge of having to hand up the dobok for the season here if my injuries don't get better.

grrrr.

#253963 - 05/31/06 01:56 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: onb]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

That beign said, i've been really bad at my morning regime. I'm guessing it's fairly common for us all to have a hard time with our stretching commitments.

I agree we all have our issues with motivation. Like most users the last thing I feel like in the morning is to do a warm up and stretch. But I just try and think to myself of all the benefits involved.
I also feel much better and much more awake after a good physical morning that it helps me with work and last through the whole day.
So keep up the good work and don't give up.

#253964 - 06/01/06 04:28 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: onb]
RossKo Offline

Quote:

... I'm on the verge of having to hand up the dobok for the season here if my injuries don't get better.

Take it easy mate,

over enthusiasm can be the body's worst enemy. We probably all know how that feels. Sometimes we get it into our head that we have a weak area, or something that is letting us down and before you know it are obsessively putting way too much work into said problem. Sometimes even in so much of a hurry that you rush headlong into trying to fix it before giving much thought to the proper way to go about it. Your stretch routine looks fine to me (though i'm no expert) but maybe you should give more time to the warm-up. I know its time consuming and for some of us one of the only reasons why we don't stretch as much as we should but it is nonetheless really important. Flexibility takes time and seemingly lots of it!!

Quote:

... Glad to see you have found a warm up. There is no problem with running, its cycling that you want to try and avoid.

Ahh, good point, I remember that being said in the Kurtz book, thats good news. Its not a great feeling doing something with a niggling feeling that its not the best idea for what you are trying to acheive.

Right now I've posted this, I'm going to do a LITTLE warm-up and then do some dynamic stretches. (So proud of myself lol!)
Rossko

#253965 - 06/01/06 05:24 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Congratulations RossKo glad to see that you are warming up. See thanks to this thread it has helped to motivate us and get us to where we should be.
The weekends coming up so measurements will be in shortly. Looking forward to it seeing as both the last times I havent had time for a proper warm up and this time I feel that it is in my right mind to make time.

#253966 - 06/04/06 05:24 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Where has everybody gone?

I have had a very intense weekend of training it has been great. Learnt loads and for a change have had some sun so we made the most out of it by training outside.
Anyway therefore I have not had time to measure up, although I have been stretching.
I will post my measurements during the week sometime.

#253967 - 06/05/06 01:30 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Yeah,

Where is everybody!! Similar story to you Tezza, been having a good week and stretched a lot so I feel that my progress should be quite good for once!! Although I've only got time for this short post because i'm off up to Lincolnshire to my home town for a black belt presentation for some other students of my chief instructor and a seminar on ground fighting. So I shall post my results asap!!

Take care everyone.

Rossko

#253968 - 06/05/06 05:34 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Glad to see you have been stretching as well.
I have been focusing mainly on my sidesplits this last week as I wanted to try and improve that the most. So therefore I am hoping for more of an increase with that rather than the other two.
Have fun in Lincolnshire RossKo and I look forward to seeing your results once you get back.
I will post mine later on either today or tomorrow.

#253969 - 06/05/06 09:28 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
onb Offline

Well, further to my moment of in my last post...

I haven't been doing much in the way of stretching. My hamstring and knee are so buggered I took the weekend off to try to let them recover. Truthfully they are getting a bit better but are still sore. I think the knee needs a week or two of recovery (i'm not sure if I can handle not training for two weeks though). The hamstring is kinda weird. It started out mid thigh right in the back (typical hamstring location) but then it seemed to have moved higher up into the mid point in the butt cheek... now, its moved even higher right up at the top/centre. Kinda right at that point where the butt turns into back closer to the spine. I'm wondering if that is improvement or a sign it's getting worse.

Anyway, no measurements right now.

#253970 - 06/05/06 11:12 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: onb]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

The best thing for you now Onb is some rest, becuase if you carry on stretching you could make it worst therefore in my opinion you should rest it and if you want maybe do a light stretch.
What exactly did you do to your body?
If the pain continues you may want to see a doctor.
Hope you get better soon and can continue with your stretching,
Tezza

#253971 - 06/05/06 12:22 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
onb Offline

Tezza,

What did I do to my body?

I got a zipper like shin splint on my left shin from when I was doing a turning kick... But it was so hot in the gym that my heel stuck to the ground so all that upper body and kicking leg tourque loaed right onto my shin (luckily not my knee or ankle) but it felt like someone ran a zipper up my shin bone - ouch

My knee has always been kinda bad (from playing soccer) more recently I just hyper extended it in a game and it isn't getting any better... then I got slide tackled on the same knee which just made it a bunch worse.

As for my hamstring... last tournament I was in we had to sit on the side of the mat and watch all teh younger competitors of the same belt level before we could compete... so I sat on the hardwood floor for about 6 hours waiting not able to warm up or properly stretch. Then when competition time came up it was like... go now! no warm up, no stretch time ect. So I got up and did my best (double gold medals actually) which i must admit I am rather proud of but the thing was that in one fight I delivered a 'perfect' roundhouse to his head which I'm fairly certain was higher than my usual limit. Well, anyway between that an feeling all jazzed afterwards and at the following classes, I really started pushing my stretches to try to avoid that strain in the tournament... well, one day I was having a particularly good stretch and I felt all the little tingles and stuff but then I felt something withing the muscle that was odd. No pain but it felt ... fiberous (muscle fibres sliding against each other). Well I think that fiberous feeling was the feeling of my hamstring tearing. Fast forward 6 months later and i'm still in pain.

and that's my sob story

onb

#253972 - 06/06/06 07:38 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: onb]
RossKo Offline

Sorry guys no time to stretch and measure etc, just wanted to put in my advice for Onb. Due to the location of the pain now (you mentioned that it was up into your buttock area) I think that there may be a chance of some Sciatica (not sure how to spell) in my day job in the gym I come across loads of people who have this problem. Its basically something to do with the Sciatic Nerve becoming trapped, as far as I'm aware this nerve travels down under your buttock and down the leg at the back - under the hamstrings. I'm no doctor and could be way off but I'd recomend you don't listen to us on here and go and get some proffesional advice. The rest of your injurys sound like they probably were caused by all the factors you say but if you have some Sciatic trouble too then that wont help matters any!!! Rest is obvious but maybe theres more that can be done to help you in the form of some proper attention!!!!

Congratulations by the way on the results of your comp. I've competed quite a lot before and know what you mean about the nightmare that is waiting for you catagory to come up. It usually comes before you thought it was going to and then straight onto the mat, cold, no stretch or nothing, show some respect, touch gloves and go!!

Keep us posted on the injury and GO TO THE DOCS!!!!!!!!!!!

Rossko

#253973 - 06/06/06 08:13 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: onb]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Onb,

Firstly congratulations on you competition.
Secondly the best bit of advice I can give is to go see your doctor, as I am not a doctor and also I cannot realy tell what is wrong with you just from talking on a forum.
So sorry I cannot be of much help.
Although I do think what RossKo is saying is quite relevant although just to make sure go to your doctor and see what he thinks of it, as he may just say you need rest or he could well say that there is a serious problem with you body.
So the best advice I can give is to go see a doctor and see what he has to say about it.
Please post the result of what the doctor says as I may be able to help after knowing the result from the doctor.
Good luck and hope you get better soon,

Tezza

P.s I have had many injuries in my time and I would have to say that the best thing for any injury is rest so don't try and do anything stupid on it.

#253974 - 06/07/06 04:25 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Hi all,

I thought seeing as no one else has time to measure I thought I mght as well make some so that I keep up the habbit of measuring each week.
I have mainly been focusing on my sidesplits this last week seeing as this is the area that I want to improve the most.
So here they are:

Side split 27cms off floor
Front split (Left forwards) 15cms off floor
Front split (Right forwards) 16cms off floor

Not much of a gain although I am slowly getting there which I am happy with, seeing as gradually is better than not at all.
Anyways can't wait to see all of your progress.

#253975 - 06/09/06 05:59 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Hi Tezza,

Thats a result!! Getting better every week! I will definately measure this weekend. I know I've been slack by not measuring yet but I've honestly had a good week stretching myself. I have strayed from my set routine now and play it by ear. Still doing my dynamic stretches in the morning but often following them with relaxed stretches as well and then in the evenings doing a few extra dynamic stretches that I wouldn't normally do before I do my other stretches. I still do isometric stretches for my inner thigh strength/flexibility and I do them on the same day as a leg workout. Playing it by ear so to speak has really improved my motivation because I used to think that if I didn't have time for my full stretch then I'd not bother at all but now I'm proving beyond a shadow of a doubt even a small token stretch is enough to keep my results coming. I really hope my measurements are better this week but even if my gains are small I know that its much easier to get down there now. Plus my side kick is at just over 8 feet high! Admittedly no practical point in a side kick that high unless Lurch from the Addams Family should pick on me but a visible improvement none the less! Thanks for this everyone cos I recon its working!!

Rossko

#253976 - 06/09/06 06:16 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Hi RossKo,

Glad to see I am not the only one benefiting from this.
I must admit I am like you I have changed my routine a bit and played it by ear.
Like you I feel that if you don't have time for the full workout I just feel what’s the point in doing it at all, but seeing as I want to do this and see major benefits I am changing it to suit my busy schedule.
I go back to work on Monday so I will find it even harder to find time but like I have always tried to do is make some me time at the end of the day. So therefore this ‘me time’ will be spent doing stretching.
I am glad to see that it is helping you as this has helped motivate me a lot and to prove it I have got the results so far.
Keep it up

#253977 - 06/09/06 06:33 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Suspended side split between two chairs? Not today...maybe sunday.

p.s. Whats better than one dude dancin?......................

(Syncronised dancers!!!!!!!)

#253978 - 06/09/06 06:42 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

A bit of a random post

I have read Tom Kurz's book hundreds of times and loved it so I thought why not purchase the video and see what that had to offer.
It arrived a week ago and have finally watched the whole thing.
And my review of it is that its great it shows quite a lot more than what is shown in the book. Like advanced dynamic stretches, etc.
I must recommend it to all you stretchers out there. It is very easy to understand. I advise people to read the book aswell the video is an added extra.
Just thought someone may find this interesting

#253979 - 06/09/06 12:05 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
onb Offline

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't been postin' lately. Haven't had a chance to go to the doc but I have been doing my training dispite the pain. Mostly trying to take it easy on my knee.

I am rather surprised at how much strain a knee can undergo during stretching. a few of my stretches really hurt the knee which I then (obviously) stop that type. So right now I'm trying to maintain my stretchiness and not lose ground. Improving may be more strain than the ol' knee can handle.

Tezz - those numbers are awsome! Way to go. If I can get down to that level I'd be pretty much set. Obviously we always want to go further but having 27 in the side and 15 in the fronts... that is significant bendiness. There shouldn't be any problem with high kicks now for you. Keep it up!

Rosco - haven't seen any measurements. Why dont' we both try to remember to do a measurement this weekend and report them on Monday.

Keep it up guys

onb

#253980 - 06/09/06 12:52 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: onb]
Foundation Offline

I'll measure this weekend as well, I haven't been stretching that much lately, since I had enough troubles last time.
I'm now trying to rest a few weeks so my legs are completely healed, therefore I changed my relax in a side split (which was rather hard on my muscles) into a relax in a V-stretch.

#253981 - 06/09/06 03:11 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: onb]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks for the support guys. Keep up the good work all of you.
Even if you feel you can carry on it is always best to get a doc's view on it, so Onb go see one lol.
Foundation glad to see you are still stretching keep it up and a few days rest wont do any harm.
Keep up the good work guys

#253982 - 06/10/06 06:00 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Hiya you lot,

good to hear from you guys again, wondered where you'd all gone. As for the knees Onb, I've given some thought to a regular stretch which doesn't put any pressure on the knees. basically, kneel down and spread your feet apart so that they are the same width apart as the knees are. Then allow the knees to slide apart as far as possible so that apart from the fact that your legs are not straight, you're simulating the thigh part of a side split. No sideways strain on the knees at all. Once you are capable of going all the way down with bent legs then you can little by little start to straighten the legs over multiple stretching sessions. I hope this isn't too confusing and makes sense, its hard to explain!! I've been doing it as well as my usual stretch routine but would focus more on it should my knees start giving me trouble. What do you lot recon. I'd like to point out that this stretch wasn't my idea I don't think. Recon I picked it up somewhere or read it or something!

Just off for a quick run then will stretch and measure.

Rossko

#253983 - 06/10/06 06:42 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
RossKo Offline

Okay guys,

I must admit that I was a little worried as to how much actual progress I'd made. It seemed even worse that I'd had a good week of stretching and was going to be frustrated with my gains.

That was not to be I'm pleased to say;

Front Split Left Forward 14.5cm

Front Split Right Forward 10cm!!

Side Split...25cm!!

Progress!! You watch, next week I'll go backwards!!!!!!! Thanks everyone this is really helping me.

Rossko

#253984 - 06/11/06 12:52 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Quote:

It arrived a week ago and have finally watched the whole thing.
And my review of it is that its great it shows quite a lot more than what is shown in the book. Like advanced dynamic stretches, etc.
I must recommend it to all you stretchers out there. It is very easy to understand. I advise people to read the book aswell the video is an added extra.
Just thought someone may find this interesting

Very interesting, thanks for the review, Tezza!

#253985 - 06/11/06 02:11 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: MikeMartial]
RossKo Offline

Are you going to be joining us in our quest to be extra-flexible MikeMartial??

Rossko

#253986 - 06/11/06 08:45 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
MikeMartial Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Quote:

Are you going to be joining us in our quest to be extra-flexible MikeMartial??

I just might be. I had a stretching journal in this forum a while back, which I haven't updated in a long time. I bought Kurz's book a few years back, and applied the dynamic principles with great results. I can easily kick head height now---But really, in that two years, my static flexbility has remained almost totally unchanged. (amazingly!) It never bothered me, but having greater static flexibility is just a new goal.

I'd like to achieve a full split, so I'll have to add more static and isometric stretching to my workout.

#253987 - 06/11/06 01:32 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: MikeMartial]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Firstly congratulations on your progress RossKo. Seems like its not just me that has had a good stretching workout this week.
MikeMartial welcome aboard. I mentioned your thread at the start of this one just so people could refer to that.
Glad to see its all working for everyone.

#253988 - 06/12/06 04:44 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Thanks Tezza,

One of my students commented on my side split yesterday in class, he said he didn't realize I could nearly do the splits, cool.

MikeMartial - I PM'd you at the start of this post to see what you were up to. Wondered where you'd gone!! I used to tune in to your Thomas Kurtz stretching post all the time and then it just stopped!! Have you still been stretching?

Rossko

P.S. Wheres everyone elses measurements?

#253989 - 06/12/06 05:40 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Congrats on the progress once again.

Yea I wondered how your stretching has been going Mike because I was a keen follower of your old thread. So I would be interested in finding out how it is going.

Also like RossKo I am wondering has everyone left us because there are no measurements

#253990 - 06/12/06 09:13 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
onb Offline

New Injured Measurements:

Side: 36cm
Right front: 30cm
Left front: 30cm

So, in essence it looks like I haven't changed at all. This is good! Because of my aches and pains this is my goal. Maintain but not need to improve (until i'm no longer pained)

BTW Rossco, I've been doing that kind of bent knee standing split type stretch for a while. Actually I really like it 'cuz I can do it here at work and look only stlightly funny as opposed to sitting on the ground and doing all the other ones. Thanks for the tip.

onb

#253991 - 06/12/06 09:28 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: onb]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Glad to see you are still trying to maintain you flexibility even though you are injured, seeing as many people I know would just give up until the injury has gone away, which would mean they would miss out on so much.
Have you seen the doctor yet?

#253992 - 06/12/06 09:58 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
onb Offline

lol, no. I haven't gone to the doc yet. I'm just dumb that way I guess. I keep on figuring that with a little rest things should be getting better. They don't though. Maybe this is just something I have to force myself to do... not because I want to, but because it's the right thing to do...

onb

#253993 - 06/12/06 10:54 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: onb]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

I understand where you are coming from Onb, although what if it was worst than you think and you are only making it worst by not getting treatment.
So why not spare 30 minutes of your day jusst to get it checked out.
Im not forcing you to, although I feel that a professioanls opinion would be highly advisible.

#253994 - 06/12/06 11:04 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
Foundation Offline

Bleh I'm not getting real improvements on my side split, which holds my front split back as well (rear leg sideways)
Front: 10/10
Side: 18
When I cheated a little and bent forward in the front split (more hamstrings, less inner thighs) I got 7 cm
If my adductors were only as flexible as my hamstrings I could to that front split.

#253995 - 06/12/06 11:06 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Foundation]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

You are almost there Foundation keep it up

And once again congrats to everyone and their performance.

#253996 - 06/12/06 12:34 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
Foundation Offline

The problem is that I'm almost there for about 4 weeks now

#253997 - 06/12/06 12:39 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Foundation]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

The closer you get the harder it normally is. As long as you keep on going it should be alright.
Many people I know had a good progress and they got to a stage where it slowed down, although after a few weeks they passed that and now can do the splits.
So keep up the good work.

#253998 - 06/12/06 03:59 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
Foundation Offline

You misunderstood me, after I started measuring I suddenly gained about 7 cm or so in 1 week, and haven't gained a single cm since (lost 1 cm). I could push myself again, but I don't know if that'd be such a good idea (of course that'd bring me to about 10 cm, which would be very nice)

By the way, is it all right to cheat on front splits by leaning forward to rely on the flexibility of certain muscles and avoidig others when measuring? Because I won't be able to do a front split without the side split otherwise.

#253999 - 06/12/06 04:03 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Foundation]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

I understand what you are saying. All I can say is keep up the good work and if you feel the need to push yourself then do so, but not too far or you could cause injury.
I guess this cheat you are talking about is acceptible although it would be more effecient if you could do it properly.
Keep up the good work though

#254000 - 06/12/06 04:38 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

First day back at work today. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread I would probably find it harder to stretch whilst at work, although seeing as I am so motivated I made sure I had some time to stretch today. It was great.
I firslty had my class tonight and then got home and did even more stretching than the stretching carried out in class.
I feel so energized from it all, its great. I feel that some good results are going to be coming my way next measurements.
I hope the same can be said for all of you

#254001 - 06/12/06 07:17 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Good to see you back Foundation!! You're well low now. Tezza is right, from talking to the people I know who can do the splits when they got close they were stuck like it for ages. Instead of pushing really hard for new results and risking injuring yourself and going backwards, maybe you could just keep at what your doing and maybe change some of your usual stretches for some new ones? Also, if you do your front splits near a chair or something that wont move you could use it to push against with your hands so that you lean backwards and stretch those stubborn muscles?!!

Well done Tezza, "success breeds success" and I think we're all feeling it now!! Only those of us dedicated are going to get there and I recon you're in the running for it!!

Onb, I little tip..........GO TO THE BL*@DY DOCTORS!!!!!!

Anybody given any thought to what to do after we get there? I've thought about and think progress should be measured by how high the feet can be lifted from the floor with the groin still on the ground.

Rossko

P.S. will we be seeing your results this weekend MikeMartial?? Be great to see you join in, it was your original posts that gave me this idea in the first place. So I guess thanks are in order!! Thanks!

#254002 - 06/12/06 07:26 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
d0minar Offline

Hey guys.
I'll join you all with sharing my progress here:

Front Split (left leg forward): full split no warm up
Front Split (right leg forward): 15 cm
Side Split: 27.5 cm

#254003 - 06/12/06 07:36 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: d0minar]
RossKo Offline

Welcome D0minar,

Your similar to me, left leg front split is way easier than right forwards. I have been in full front split before with the left forwards but I've let that slide a bit lately because I'm trying to focus on my side split. Your seem pretty bendy so far tho!!

#254004 - 06/12/06 07:43 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
d0minar Offline

Thanx man. My body is weird. I got front split left side when i was 16 (im 27 now) by forcing myself from about 15 cm down all the way in one day hehe. It worked. After that I didnt stretch for like 10 years.. After a week or so I got left side back again. I can get right side full if i try, but its not important to me as side split.. so all i do now is do side split stretching. But no too sure if im doing it right... hense other posts i posted now now in the forum heh. Anyway. I'll measure every monday now. Will see if Kruz's magic works

#254005 - 06/12/06 07:49 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: d0minar]
RossKo Offline

Thats a pretty crazy stretch routine you had going on that day!!!! Somehow it obviously worked tho!! Good to have you on board. As far as I'm concerned Kurtz knows his stuff!! Most of us on here are using his methods to varying but mostly positive results!! Any questions just post them on here and we'll all give you our two pennies worth!!

Rossko

#254006 - 06/13/06 04:26 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: d0minar]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Welcome amoard d0minar,

Glad to see you aboard our stretching buddy thread.

#254007 - 06/15/06 06:07 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Sadly this weekend I am off to France for the Le Mans so I will not be stretching this weekend sadly.
Although when I get back on Monday Night I will be doing a lot of stretching to make up for it.
I haven't heard from any of you for a while.

#254008 - 06/15/06 09:46 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
d0minar Offline

dont overstretch

#254009 - 06/15/06 12:07 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: d0minar]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

I wont
I would stretch on the trip but seeing as we are on a coach it would look rather funny.
I will post my measurements when I get back although I feel there wont be much of a change.

#254010 - 06/15/06 02:23 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
Foundation Offline

Or you could stretch on the coach anyway and send us some pictures afterwards

#254011 - 06/15/06 05:09 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Foundation]
RossKo Offline

Have a good weekend Tezza,

Please send us some coach stretching pictures!! I'll make good use of you not stretching for the weekend and by the time you come back I'll have beaten you to the suspended side split between two chairs!!

Rossko

#254012 - 06/16/06 09:39 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
onb Offline

Quote:

Sadly this weekend I am off to France for the Le Mans so I will not be stretching this weekend sadly.
Although when I get back on Monday Night I will be doing a lot of stretching to make up for it.
I haven't heard from any of you for a while.

Unfortunately??? I thought France was like the most traveled to place in the world... everyone loves france! I'm thinking you're lucky.

but...

in a similar vein, I'm gonna be gone all week so no measurements from me. I'm in Mexico. Don't worry. I'll work some stretching into my rigorous all you can eat and drink schedule while i'm gone. (which usually turns into all you can drink cuz eating just takes up valuable beer room)

Write to you guys in a bit.

onb

#254013 - 06/16/06 02:05 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: onb]
Foundation Offline

Nah, France can be quite boring once you've been there a few times. I've been in France like 40 times now and I've seen most of it (this summer we're going to see the south, I don't know what area will be left after that )

#254014 - 06/19/06 12:35 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Foundation]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Hi guys just got back. From Friday to Monday I have had about 6 hours sleep. It was great.
I will definately post some pictures on here when I get round to putting them on my pc.
I agree France does get boring but when you travel specially for Le Mans its awesome.
Anyway back and ready to stretch once again so I look forward to it.
Glad to see you lot kept on posting whilst I was away.

#254015 - 06/19/06 05:03 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Hi Tezza,

Glad you're back!! I guess the lack of sleep was worth it then?!! You're obviously the one keeping this together! You go away and it all stops!! Not stretched much really except for when I taught my class on sunday. will stretch tonight too. Are you at work tomorrow then?

Rossko

#254016 - 06/19/06 07:26 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: d0minar]
d0minar Offline

Quote:

that was last monday... this monday i'm not too happy cause i could not even reach my last mondays mark with side split heh... hell knows why... so no point in posting results.. i'll post hen there is progress

#254017 - 06/20/06 02:27 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: d0minar]
RossKo Offline

You're not on your own there D0minar, I stretched well last night and didn't bother to measure because I could actually see that I wasn't as low as last week!! I have been a naughty boy this week as far as stretching is concerned. I think I've only had 3 stretch sessions so far but undetered I shall carry on and make sure that this week goes better.

Rossko

#254018 - 06/20/06 08:17 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
d0minar Offline

this is extremely demotivating!.. last week i stretched mon, tues, thir, sat. Negative imprvement heh will try to stretch EVERY day this week ffs! im very impatient

#254019 - 06/20/06 06:53 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: d0minar]
d0minar Offline

Week 1:
-------

Week 2: (today)
-------
Side Split: 26.00 cm (improvement 1.5 cm)

heh.. some improvement after all

#254020 - 06/21/06 01:43 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: d0minar]
RossKo Offline

Well done D0minar,

I think the trick is not to try too hard because you will create too many micro-tears in the muscle which will heal up creating scar tissue which unfortunately isn't elastic and therefore cannot be stretched. Eventually causing yourself problems with muscle flexibility and then subsequent stretching will only gradually be trying to stretch the tendons instead which has been proven to be very ineffective for adults and also risky. Stretch every day but one, a day off is important, but don't strech into your pain barrier too much. We shouldn't run before we can walk.

Having said all that, WELL DONE, you were worrying about nothing, thats good gains. A lot of us on here are within a foot of reaching the ground (obviously if I was naked then I...!) so our flexibility is obviously getting there.

Keep at it. I'm up early this morning for me because I'm inspired by Tezza's morning attitude to stretching and am getting up half hour earlier every morning (bar one) to warm up and do my dynamic stretches.

Rossko

P.S. Does anyone here practice the low horse stance like demonstrated in Kurtz book? I have a little but it bloody hurts. Only got 1 min 30 secs the other night. Should I work on this too? (Please so no, please say no, please say no.............)

#254021 - 06/21/06 06:29 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Cheers for that RossKo yup it was definately worth it. I really enjoyed it was a good trip.
Glad to see that my help on this forum is appreciated. I enjoy helping others to stretch as this helps to motivate me.
Yea sadly I am back at work so thats another reason I havent been able to post. Although Im back and will be posting very soon.

#254022 - 06/22/06 07:34 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

H guys,

It's really late at the mo, so just a quick post. I wasn't going to stretch tonight because I haven't got time to warm up but then thought a quick light stretch wouldn't hurt!! Must be getting addicted to the thing I used to hate the most!! Here's the outcome... side splits 21cm!! didn't measure front splits, I'm not too worried about them. I'll keep them up but want to be able to side split more. I just did 6 sets of isometric side split stretches. I was that low by the third set. I think my stretch last night helped the most. I actully decided to use two sturdy dining room chairs to put my feet on for the side stretch. I had a third chair in front of me for my hands to minimise risk of injury!! I went way further that way. Plus I've another little help in the form of a broom handle which I've written measurements on all down the side with one of my girlfriends hair bobbles on it. I use the broom handle for emergency balance and also a placebo. I think it helps me to go that little bit further when I know that I can ease off the pressure if neccessary. Also once at my lowest I just slide the hair bobble down to groin level and hey presto - my measurement.

Wow, for a short midnight message I really have babbled, sorry folks, just pleased I guess!!

Goodnight all. (unless you're on the other side of the world and just having lunch!!)

Rossko

#254023 - 06/25/06 05:38 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Hi Guys,

Sadly this week has been hectic so I havent had much time to stretch.
Although in class I have been doing a lot of PNF stretching and its all good.
I love this stretching it is awesome. Shame I cant do it all the time.
Its strange I have always been the kind of person that can go into a stretch and not feel the pain at all, although my muscles are just tense and that is what is stopping me from getting there. Stupid muscles lol.
Anyway the stretching must go on.

#254024 - 06/27/06 06:13 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Hi there,

Just reading these posts again to try to motivate myself to stretch!! Trained quads and calves yesterday and must stretch or I'll be back to square one!!

Rossko

P.S. where is everyone?

#254025 - 06/27/06 06:34 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

RossKo drop down and give me 20. Lol. Does that help motivate you? Yea motivation is the hardest thing. And it looks like its just us two talking on here now, where has everyone gone?

#254026 - 06/27/06 09:26 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
Foundation Offline

While I had exams I took a break from stretching, hoping I'd get rid of that stupid pain.
I'll try to start again this evening. Motivation isn't a real issue for me, I just make a shedule and stick to it.

#254027 - 06/27/06 11:15 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Foundation]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Glad to hear you are back again Foundation. Its not really the motivation its the finding time to fit it in. Although I want these results so I am making time

#254028 - 06/27/06 07:44 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Motivation and time please!!

Training harder in the gym now too. my cushy little gym job pays peanuts so I'm going to get Personal Training job in London. I'm qualified but unfortunately PT is a shallow industry and you have to look like you practise what you preach. Only need another stone I think. So much to do so little time! Sleep, eat, work, martial arts, sex, stretching, weight training, sex, teach, complain about above plus find time to to relax!!!!!!!!!

Obviously it only affects me so you guys wouldn't understand!!

Rossko

#254029 - 06/28/06 04:11 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Don't worry it is not just you RossKo, we all have these problems about time and motivation.
Good luck with the personal training job it should be good fun. I would happily have you as a personal trainer.

#254030 - 06/29/06 07:11 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Hello?

#254031 - 07/01/06 08:50 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
onb Offline

I'm Back!

I've been in Mexico for a week and then just started a new job which has kept me hoping buisy. So, now that two weeks have passed, I'll give a little update.

Mexico did wonders for my knee. the pain is almost completely gone. My hamstring is a little tight but it doesn't hurt so now my goal is to very very slowly try to stretch it back to normal.

I've maintained my stretchiness within a relative tolerance. I don't measure often but usually just try to eyeball it from day to day. It looks like my front splits (left and right front) are exactly the same but my side split is now pretty much toast... depending on the day it varies from about 35cm up to maybe even as much as 50cm.

In the long run though, getting healthy and un-pained is more a priority right now. But now that I'm feeling a bit better... Now I'm gonna work on that split again.

From a tanned formerly relaxed but now stressed out from work...

onb

#254032 - 07/01/06 09:27 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: onb]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Glad to hear you had a great time in Mexico and that you are recovering.
Congratulations on the new job as well.
Keep up the stretching and dont worry about the sidesplit results. Keep it up and you will get there in the end.

#254033 - 07/03/06 05:58 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: onb]
RossKo Offline

Good to have you back Onb,

congrats on the new job hope you're settling in okay. Don't worry about the side split measurement. As long as you're healthy you'll get there in the end. So its much more important that you take it easy and heal. Glad to hear you're on the mend though.

I haven't posted for a bit now cos I went back up north to Lincolnshire for a few days to visit my folks and my Instructor. I didn't really stretch at all except for one evening when I attended one of his classes, it was cool. I went through my 2nd dan syllabus with him. Theres some stuff you would really have to hate someone to do in there!! It turns out that the Butterfly Outside Crescent Kicks (jump up and do 2 outside crescent kicks simultaneously) are easier for me to do than the Butterfly Side Kick. Then last night I was back in kent and taught my own class and am pretty sure that even though my stretching is rusty I actually went lower than ever. The smooth floor with my sweat on helped I think!! Once more motivated for stretching I hope this week goes well.

Rossko

#254034 - 07/03/06 08:51 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Glad to hear you are back. Its been quiet its just me talking.

Glad to see I am not the only one struggling to find time to do the full stretch routine.
Recently I pulled a muscle in my leg so I have just tried to relax it.
So for the next few days I am going to rest it

#254035 - 07/10/06 08:08 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Hi guys,

Sorry been a rubbish stretch buddy recently. Not had a good week, just split from long term girlfriend so training been the last thing on my mind. Im okay now tho!! I will definately be posting my stretch results this weekend so I hope some of you guys will too. This was the only thing keeping me motivated!!

I hope that muscle is better now Tezza?
Rossko

#254036 - 07/10/06 09:17 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Glad to hear you are back RossKo.
Sorry to hear about your missus.
As for the injury its only pulled so not that bad. Yet it has meant that a relaxed stretch has been done as I do not want to injure myself anymore.
Although it is gradually getting better.
Thanks for the thought

#254037 - 07/11/06 05:42 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Injury is our body's way of telling us that we're pushing it too hard so you couldn't say we're not trying!!!

I've got an injury that keeps playing me about but luckilly its not in my lower body. I have whats called an impinged ligament in my shoulder. Caused by bench pressing apparently. I'm trying to go up a weight cos for my 2nd dan I have some bare knuckle, full contact to do and I know my opponent is heavier than me. Though having said that its not all muscle on his part!! Its just needs rest but we all hate resting injuries don't we?!!

Got to go to work now though, going to get some training in before I start.

Laters dude,

Rossko

#254038 - 07/11/06 12:07 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Sadly mine is in the lower body so it means no proper stretching, although it has meant that I have had time to stretch other parts of the body.

#254039 - 07/12/06 02:17 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Stretch other parts of the body?????

But I didn't think stretching worked on that!!!!!!!!!!

Rossko

#254040 - 07/12/06 04:18 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Well I can experiment. lol.

No I am talking about my upper body i.e. my shoulders

#254041 - 07/18/06 09:14 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Hi everyone,

I'm back now at last. I've had a fairly dark couple of weeks with me and my girlfriend splitting up and thought it best not to post until my head was sorted out. I'm happy to say that I think I'm fixed now and will be regularly posting again. No boo's please!!

Had my first stretching session for two weeks this morning. The results were dismal!! I'm still teaching tho so not a massive loss of flexibility but definately noticable!! I'm going to try to stretch a lot this week and then post my results. Its so easy to get out of the habit isn't it?!!

Rossko

#254042 - 07/18/06 10:38 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

I know what you mean RossKo dont worry I have been bad aswell.
My injury is coming to a close so by the end of this week I should be fit once again to continue my stretching routine.
As for my measurements I am pretty sure I am back where I started

Still I am raring to go again once the weekend arrives.

#254043 - 07/20/06 02:29 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Don't give up buddy,

our old results should return pretty soon. Still finding it hard to motivate myself though. Just think it will be worth it when we've got that suspended side split!! I recon its definately possible because I was only 8 inches from the ground and really could see that it wouldn't take long. I'm probably more than a foot away now. You were about the same distance from the ground as me weren't you so just keep at it and we'll do it. Any news from the other stretchy people?

Rossko

#254044 - 07/20/06 02:27 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Cheers mate. Well this weekend I feel that I will have recovered almost fully so I will measure again and from there I will continue to stretch.
As for the injury it was only due to an Ice Skating incident lol, and its feeling much better now as I have given it a lot of time to rest.
I understand that I will have to take it easy at first but I really want it to work so I plan on putting a lot of focus on my stretching and I should hope you are with me starting from Saturday. Are you? C'mon we have got to get remotivated.

#254045 - 07/20/06 06:22 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
onb Offline

Quote:

I really want it to work so I plan on putting a lot of focus on my stretching and I should hope you are with me starting from Saturday. Are you? C'mon we have got to get remotivated.

Here Here!!! got... to... get... motivated! I've been such a lazy sack lately! Heck, I haven't even been writing on the forum. time to send the knee breakers after me.

honestly guys. How can i get myself going again!?! It's summer, classes are over for two months here in the south... i'm drinking too much beer, sitting around and getting fat! ... and that says nothing about stretching.

That's it! I stretch tonight for Soccer. For 30 MINUTES!!!

onb

#254046 - 07/21/06 11:29 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: onb]
Landus Offline

Loc: UK
I never intended to join this post, I didn't want to either. I wanted to achieve what I must on my own, putting in extreme effort everytime, except my motivation has just taken a fatal blow. My family cannot for different reasons help me, pushing my legs or back further and I feel I will find it hard on my own. I have decided to join you all here, but not to share my results on a daily basis. Instead I am intending to post every month and say how well, or how badly I am doing. I wish goodluck to you all.

#254047 - 07/21/06 02:05 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Landus]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Welcome abroad the thread Landus. Good luck with your stretching.

#254048 - 11/05/06 11:37 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

HELLO EVERYBODY!!!!

This is my first post again since I think July! Sorry to abandon you lot. Moved out of my old house where I lived with my ex and been trying to get my life on track for a while. No internet access at the mo and house sharing with some friends. Good laugh but they are all lazy and not exactly inspiring me to train very hard so I need you lot again!! I haven't stretched properly except for in my class for at least 3 months and really want to get it back on track!

I started a cage fighting class near to where i live and the training is pretty full on but sadly no stretching at all!! So whats everyone been up to??

Can only log on once a week now at my new (lovely) girlfriends parents house, so hopefully speak to some of you next week. will put my new (and probably dismal) stretch results on-line here for you to laugh at!!

Bye for now!

Rossko

p.s. I thought there'd be loads of new 'instant greamlins' by now...sort it out!!!!!!!!

#254049 - 12/09/06 12:28 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Hiya guys,

I am back now aswell after a long misfortune of events. As many will know during my last posts I mentioned an injury that I have finally got rid of fully and am glad to let you know I am back in the game of stretching yet I have lost a lot of potential flexibility and just means working backwards to get it all back. I am going to start stretching fully on monday and intend to start off small and then eventually get back to my original routine as I used to be.
I have been out for a long time on this forum however I have still continued my martial art training although I have not managed to stretch as much other than at class.
However this will all change and as soon as the new year hits I intend to be back on my full routine.
So whos with me guys?

#254050 - 12/10/06 10:45 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Glad the injury is fixed mate, make sure you start back into the stretching nice and steady and don't try to rush back to where you were because that could just tempt that old injury back.

Today is Sunday (in case ya didn't know!) so give me a week of stretching and I'll post my measurements on here. Been back stretching for a few weeks now so not as bad as they were but not great!!

Is there any body else in here who feels like posting their progress???

Rossko

#254051 - 12/11/06 06:12 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Thats what I intend to do with my training. I will slowly work back into it. And finally I will hopefully be back to my good old ways.
So is there anyone else interested?

#254052 - 01/14/07 11:48 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Here goes again!!

Just booked in to do my 2nd Dan on 21st February so not long and I have to be able to do the box splits pretty much by then.

I really haven't stretched much at all for months and months, not really since last posting here. I still stretch during my twice weekly classes which hasn't stopped at all (except for 2 weeks at christmas) but not much else apart from that.

The one thing that I find suprising is that my flexibility hasn't really gone anywhere, still nearly where I was.

I guess this must be because although I'm not stretching enough to improve my flexibility stretching twice per week must be enough to maintain it. Good news I guess for when we all get that elusive side split (suspended between two chairs maybe!!) and should have no problem maintaining it.

For the next month I will stretch as often as I can, stay healthy and will take a suplement containing Glucosamine Sulphate and Cod Liver Oil (Sanatogen's 30 X 1 per day £4.95). (Has anyone out there tried this and did you notice any diffence - I've heard promising stuff).

I hope there are people who want to join me in my new years resolution of stretching more, I'll post my stretch measurements every week on Sunday, Front Left foot forward, Front Right foot forward and side split distance from the floor just like before.

Speak to you next week!!

Rossko

#254053 - 01/24/07 04:44 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

glad to see you back onboard.

Nothing to be worried about I am sure not many found time during christmas to do much stretching. Keep it up.
Sounds like you are doing well and congratulations on the 2nd dan test. Good luck with it.
I am sure if you put your mind to it you will be able to recieve great results.
Just take it easy to get back into it and then get stuck in.

As for the cod liver, it is meant to help but it is only a supplement to help your stretching dont expect promising results.

Like you I want to get back into it but have to see physio first as have damaged my back and want to get it checked out before i do anything that may further hurt it.

Anyway I look forward to your results and speak soon

Tezza

#254054 - 02/06/07 01:09 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
everyone Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: USA
Hey, what happened to the progress report. Everyone is waiting to hear of your successes.

#254055 - 02/07/07 04:16 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: everyone]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Glad to hear a keen follower. I havent seen RossKo around for a while, but this weekend I will be getting back into things if anyone else is interested in joining me. I still require a check up on my back after my injury so I will be taking things slowly but want to get back into it as I am really keen.

So whos with me?

#254056 - 02/09/07 01:10 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Right seeing as no one is posting at the moment looks like I am at it by myself. Think it of me writing a blog of my progress.
Come on people please join me.

I have been out of stretching a lot for a long time due to serious injuries and my flexibilty has seriously depreciated. So from Monday I will slowly be going back into things.
I will be using a similar routine as before however I will be taking things much easier at first and then eventually will be back into things.
Anyway if anyone else is interested in joining me on my quest please speak now!!!!

#254057 - 02/12/07 01:48 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
everyone Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: USA
Hey Tezza, your not alone in this endeavor. Everyone is right there with you.

Lately I have been experiencing a decrease in flexibility due to an increase in ma training. My schedule alternates between BJJ and Kung Fu for 6 days per week. I am hoping that as my body adjusts to the increased exorcise, the stiffness in my legs will dissipate. (Before I was only training 3-4 times per week.)

I look forward to sharing our progress and our trials as we pursue our goals.

#254058 - 02/15/07 04:33 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: everyone]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks mate that is much appreciative. The more the merrier. Sadly recently I was ill so all weekend whilst i could have been working out I was in bed lol.
However now I have overcome that obstacle and will start my stretching today.
Should be good to get back into things as I so enjoyed my old routine, although I have seriously depreciated in distance from the sidesplits. However thats life and I want to get back into it. Here it goes...

#254059 - 02/23/07 09:06 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Hello,

I've been stretching quite a lot lately due to having 5 weeks countdown to grading for my 3rd Degree BB. My stretch routine was simple, as often as possible run round my block (takes about 5 mins only) do some dynamic stretching and then do 3-5 sets of box splits. I started with dismal results but eventually progressed until I was doing it in my socks (not a great sight) on a laminate floor for the extra slip, and am now only about 8 or 10 inches away.

I graded on Wednesday just gone and failed! Not flexible enough and my opponent wants another 6 weeks to train so I could not do my fighting either. I grade again in 6 weeks and I will be ready. No doubts this time, I must be positive!

Rossko

#254060 - 02/26/07 11:01 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Glad you are back now matey. Its been quiet on here without you.
Shame about your grading, but dont get heart broken over it as i am sure the next opportunity you will ace.
As for the stretching, please keep us informed on your routine and progress.
You reply is much awaited.
Your very good freind

Tez

#254061 - 03/04/07 04:21 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: Tezza]
RossKo Offline

Thanks mate,

Hows your health now dude? I heard you've been bogged down with flu etc? My stretch routine was a bit shakey this week but managed 4 out of 7 days. I wish I loved stretching as much as you!!! I was please to find out when I graded that the double side kick (like Van Damme does in the movies) isn't chambered in mid air like you would for a standard side kick. Both legs are merely swung up kind of as you would imagine a double dynamic stretching session!!! So my dynamic stretches are really important now. Its must be almost impossible to chamber on this (flashy and rediculously pointless) technique as your knees would touch. I can't believe there's no-one on here nowdays except me and you!!!

Rossko

P.S. whats the most flexibly challenging technique you've ever seen in real life?

#254062 - 05/05/07 02:08 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: RossKo]
sttretttch Offline
Stranger

Great Idea for a post this and it inspired me to join this forum. I bought Kurz's book over a year ago and have had some success with the dynamic front leg raise but have never got on well with the side leg raises. I have been doing them on and off (ussually starting after each grading)but so far never continued with them long enough to see any real progress. I have just ordered the secrets of stretching DVD which arrived today and am hoping that this time (with the help of this thread) I will stick to it.
My morning routine is sorted as I run to work each morning and can do some dynamic stretching when I get there nicely warmed up. am planning on spending next couple of months concentrating on some of the strengthening exercises on the dvd before getting started on the Isometric stretching.
Will be doing a warm up and some easy stretching later and will post some measurements so I can see what progress is made.

How are you all progressing? good luck

#254063 - 05/05/07 04:26 PM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: sttretttch]
sttretttch Offline
Stranger

So done some stretching this evening and measured from the splits position to the floor so I can see any improvement.
gotta long way to go down if i'm ever gonna do the splits but my main goal is to increase the hight of my kicks through dynamic stretching.

Side 36cm
front lft ft fwd 20cm
front rt ft fwd 18cm

#254064 - 02/25/08 09:05 AM Re: Stretching buddy [Re: sttretttch]
onb Offline

Hello everyone, I'm kinda back. It has been a VERY long time since I last posted here but if you go back to the beginning of the thread, I was here. I also did a lot of talking about my knee and my hamstring then. Like so many other people do, I was over training then and did cause myself some rather significant injury. As a quick update over the last year to explain where I'm coming from... here it goes.
- I tore my hamstring... this not only hurts a lot, it also takes a long time to heal properly
- Due to the hamstring damage, I had developed cyatica (sp?) which is like a dull pain that radiates up your back and down your leg on one side making all the muscles feel like they're rubber bands pulled too tight and about to snap.
- I was slide tackled in Soccer several times which basically ruined my right knee. At its worst, I couldn't run any more and walking was rather tough.

... then to top it all off, my club shut down in the middle of the night.

Well, I took it as a message and went on the rehab road. No training, no soccer, just R&R until the pain went away, then slow regaining of mobility and fitness. I'm back into TKD now for only about 3 months. Fortunately, the my technique came back quickly (kinda like riding a bike) but my flexibility is shot. Well... let me say that my static flexibility is shot. Dynamically, I can still perform some kicks to the high section with my right (formerly damaged) leg but when I use my right as the pivoting leg, my range is greatly reduced. Unfortunately, this makes me a more predictable fighter. High kicks from the right, low kicks from the left...

Anyway, enough of my sob story, I want to try to get back into some kind of stretchiness so I'll be posting from time to time to hopefully keep myself motivated and progressing.

Measured @ 6:00am, un-warmed, in office
Splits 43cm
Right front 30cm
Left front 33cm

Man, I've lost it... well, lets work on it i guess.

ONB

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, WhiteDragon11 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga