FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 8
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
VDJ 2
FrankyFruits 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Recent Posts
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
Yesterday at 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
Yesterday at 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432477 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#253543 - 06/09/06 10:21 PM Re: Kung Fu forms - important? [Re: 18lohans]
Kian Offline

Yes, forms are the most important thing you can work on.

While it's true that technique in a fight situation will generally differ from your forms, the forms are what teach you the techniques in the first place, and allow you to practice them and get them down perfect.

Also, forms train you to know exactly where different parts of your body are without looking at them, which is an invaluable skill in a fight.

#253544 - 06/09/06 11:39 PM Re: Kung Fu forms - important? [Re: Kian]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Just curious, are the Chinese kung Fu forms structured around a similar premise to that of the Okinawan forms? Do they have similar depth to the applications?
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#253545 - 06/10/06 12:03 AM Re: Kung Fu forms - important? [Re: Stormdragon]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
What are the premises of Okinawan forms?

I have noticed that the depth of the application being taught often depends on the teacher. A good teacher should have the capabilty to demonstate what the form is trying to convey in its technique

#253546 - 06/10/06 12:37 AM Re: Kung Fu forms - important? [Re: Fisherman]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Several really. Okinawan kata were you used by high class okinawan bodybuards, civilians for street defense, police, etc.
So, they include traditional style jujutsu grappling techniques, okinawan wrestling or tegumi, striking techniques of all sorts, control and restraint techniques, and dirty fighting.
So then, they were used for reastraint, controlling and capturing someone, defending yourself in a domestic self defense situation, and all out combat.
For the most part they were primairly designed for use in combat against untrained or poorly trained attackers. They were based on many chinese systems such as Tiger Boxing, White Crane, China, and Kempo.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#253547 - 06/10/06 09:11 AM Re: Kung Fu forms - important? [Re: Stormdragon]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

The arts have similar roots so I could see where they would have similarities. I can also see where differences would arise in the different styles.
Different styles of MA evolve differently to fit the purpose of their use. Kungfu and Okinawan karate may have similar roots so they may have similar priciples.
From what I have experienced, kungfu doesn't have so much grappling techniques, however, there is quite a bit of chin na involved. Chin na are excellent restraint tactics. I see kung fu as a primarily striking influenced MA. There are asweeps and other takedowns but I have rarely seen full force throws and grappling. Mybe the Okinawans got this from Suai Chiao?

#253548 - 09/24/06 04:58 PM Re: Kung Fu forms - important? [Re: Kian]
tailiugug Offline

Loc: Utah
First of all the form is only as good as the knowledge and teaching habits of the instructor. if you only learn a form or as dance the best you can get out of it is body motion training and perhaps balence, but if you really learn the forms you will find that you are fighting 7 to 12 men usually 9 this is true with most asian arts. Forms a are fighitng methods, and you have not truely leared your form untill you see each and every man you are fighting. on top of this there are generaly levels of technese to the form each man can have a "finish" or manipulation to the basic fight sequince. also pay attention to where your attackers have fallen after there defeat you should allways step around/over them. You will benifit greatly in your art for playing your forms in this way, your body and mind will unit as one

#253549 - 09/28/06 11:56 AM Re: Kung Fu forms - important? [Re: tailiugug]
shaolinbobert Offline
Stranger

I believe that forms are very important. Not only for continuation and remembering the style, but for actual fighting. That is to say, you arent going to attack someone using a whole form, lol. that would be rediculous, and only a very poor Martist would do that.

However, fomrs stress muscle memory, its like doing songs in Dance Dance Revolution, for any of you who have seen people who are flat out awesome at it. It becomes instinct to move from one place to another. IF you are familiar with the infinite number of ways to avoid a punch, then you will never be hit, just as if you are familiar with the infinite ways to strike someones throat, they will always be dead.

This level of perfection is nigh unattainable, however, I have to contend, both based on history, experience and scientific research, that muscle memory in conjunction with physical conditioning leads to more successful fighting. In my Shaolin-Do class, we do everything. Kung-Fu has it all, in fact, some argue it has too much. Why do you think the monks spend a lifetime learning and practicing it? There is a reason most schools teach only portions or specific styles. It takes insurmountable dedication to be a truly devistating fighter. Forms help reaction time. A beggining practitioner of a style may know few forms, and not even those well, so they may say forms are garbage, when in fact, they are garbage.

Edited by shaolinbobert (09/28/06 11:58 AM)

#253550 - 09/28/06 11:15 PM Re: Kung Fu forms - important? [Re: shaolinbobert]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Quote:

IF you are familiar with the infinite number of ways to avoid a punch, then you will never be hit, just as if you are familiar with the infinite ways to strike someones throat, they will always be dead.

It takes more than just knowing how to do these things. It also takes a signifigant amount of time training them. Not everyone punches the same and not everyone is going to stand there and let you take a shot at their throat.

Quote:

In my Shaolin-Do class, we do everything. Kung-Fu has it all, in fact, some argue it has too much.

Having experienced Shaolin-Do myself and having moved on to other things I can assure you that you do not do everything and Shaolin-Do does not have it all. I wouldn't say it has too much, just more than it needs in some areas and lacks in others.
I agree that the physical conditioning and muscle memory attained in forms can be benificial, but it is not the end all be all of an art. You have to learn how the forms are used in a fighting situation and train it. It is not the forms themselves but he principles of movement inherent within that make them good for fighting. If you don't know how to train the principles then you are missing the better part of the picture .
Quote:

Forms help reaction time. A beggining practitioner of a style may know few forms, and not even those well, so they may say forms are garbage, when in fact, they are garbage.

What?

#253551 - 09/29/06 11:20 AM Re: Kung Fu forms - important? [Re: Stormdragon]
ThomsonsPier Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
I'm not versed in any Okinawan forms, but I have noticed movements from the forms rearing their heads in various techniques. When practising in opposition to someone, I often find myself recognising sections and movements from the form I'm currently learning.

If we then repeat the exercises with the focus upon using the form motions, they tend to become a lot easier and more effective.

Besides this, the forms are a large part of why I enjoy the martial arts and keep me motivated to learn more. In that sense, at least, they're compulsory.

War. It's fan-tastic!

#253552 - 09/30/06 11:45 PM Re: Kung Fu forms - important? [Re: ThomsonsPier]
senseihonor Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hi -

I'm glad to hear someone mention the word "focus". As well as what has already been mentioned here, I think forms/kata, within any MA teach focus - something invaluable, regardless of what kind of situation (self defense/kumite/sparring/street fighting/MMA/etc.,) you might be in. You may not be able to extract or use the bunkai (application) from a form, but you (hopefully) won't ever lose the focus you've gained from practicing kata.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga