FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 11
trevek 6
cxt 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 01:18 PM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432448 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 17 of 26 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 25 26 >
Topic Options
#252906 - 07/24/06 07:13 AM Re: Ranting and Raving [Re: JoelM]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

Ed, it's stupid because it's not on topic with the thread. If they want to argue about kata, do it in the kata section.

Joel,

Don't think its stupid at all. I've tried to make my points as intelligently as possible.

I don't visit the kata section often. I don't because it's their turf and I don't feel like "shoving my opinion down people's throats." I like to give those kata folks a LITTLE freedom from the critical voice. Out here or anywhere else and they are free game brother.

Originally I was only going to post ONE "rant" about kata, which was then argued by Stormdragon. I'd have left it alone otherwise. And I also hadn't realized I was dealing with a highschool kid.

But I'm not apologizing for taking a thread about nothing off topic.

-John

PS: I thought the long annoying quote sucked too.

#252907 - 07/24/06 07:46 AM Re: Ranting and Raving [Re: JKogas]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
I think it takes many years to realize what works for you,kata or no kata.

Kata does not equal fighting,anytime,anywhere.

I like kata,but only need a few for myself.I haven't found a good reason to go into more kata except out of sheer boredom.

I hate it when people don't want to let other people train how THEY want!!

#252908 - 07/24/06 05:43 PM Re: Ranting and Raving [Re: BrianS]
Mr_Heretik Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bronx NY, USA
I hate it when I walk into an all-you-can-eat-buffet and all the overweight regulars and their obese family members look at me like I'm invading their territory(I struggled to go up to 124lbs). I enter the chinese buffet in the middle of a track change, so instead of hearing their solid gold oldies, they hear the bell from the door and I get tons of eyes looking at me.

Once I start walking to my seat(alone at that ), people look at my half-full plate and give me weird looks as I pass them by... and there are more vegetables in it than anything else... which must be blasphemous to them since all their plates have all kinds of greasy fried foods on them, with diet coke to go with them. I'll stick with my water and normal proportions before I venture to the dark side. If I wanted monster proportions I'd visit the cheesecake factory(I still have yet to finish the chicken salad sandwich in one sitting).

Grr not everyone is an endurance eater..

EDIT: I don't mean to be rude or offend.. but it has happened to me on more than one occasion and is annoying.

Edited by Mr_Heretik (07/24/06 06:31 PM)

#252909 - 07/24/06 07:27 PM Re: Ranting and Raving [Re: Ed_Morris]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Quote:

insert longass quote here. the points in which will not be referred to in the least.

so you don't like me quoting a bunch of stuff and only replying to a little of it eh? Well I'll do it again! How do oyu like that, huh! lol I'm just kidding.
Ed, oyu make a great point I never htought of. I guess it is best to start with completely and obviously combat oriented systems and venture to kata to see H2H from another angle. Thanks for that perspective.
Joel, I think you cut out some of the stuff that I had said, but oh well.
JK- Why do you keep talking about my age????
I take what I know form the experience and knoiwledge of people far older than me as well as my own experience. Don't underestimate me because of my age ok. Too many people have made that mistake and now it's just irritating me. this dancing owned man is great! lol

Edited by Ed_Morris (07/24/06 08:00 PM)

#252910 - 07/24/06 09:16 PM Re: Ranting and Raving [Re: Stormdragon]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Quote:

JK- Why do you keep talking about my age????
I take what I know form the experience and knoiwledge of people far older than me as well as my own experience. Don't underestimate me because of my age ok.

I'm not underestimating you man. But you have to be older and wiser before you can be older and wiser. Perspective is just not always bestowed upon the young.

By the way, I never said that a traditional martial artist couldn't beat me in a fight. Anything is 'possible'.

Quote:

Too many people have made that mistake and now it's just irritating me.

Irritating like impetuous young guys without a lot of real world experience that think they know it all?? Is that what you mean???

-John

#252911 - 07/24/06 09:27 PM Re: Ranting and Raving [Re: JKogas]
Mr_Heretik Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bronx NY, USA
Settle down you two!

#252912 - 07/24/06 10:13 PM Re: Ranting and Raving [Re: Stormdragon]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Quote:

Joel, I think you cut out some of the stuff that I had said, but oh well.

Nope, I looked at every word comparing your quotes to John's posts. Making such a big edit I was sure to do it right.

#252913 - 07/24/06 10:46 PM Re: Ranting and Raving [Re: JoelM]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Oh, well I might of accidently forgot some stuff. Oh well.
I understand where you're coming from JK, and sorry for my rude attitude. Truce?
I just got out of TKD class, and for the second hour we did nothing but boxing, kickboxing, BJJ, and stand up grappling, all live. It reminded me of how important live training is.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#252914 - 07/24/06 11:16 PM Re: Ranting and Raving [Re: Stormdragon]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Stormdragon wrote
Quote:

I understand where you're coming from JK, and sorry for my rude attitude. Truce?

Storm -

Of course bro, but there really is no reason for a truce because I wasnít antagonistic with you and I hoped that would come across. I was trying not so much to attack your views, but to merely provide my own. It can be a fine line to walk at times.

But again, no hard feelings man. Understand that I never intended to come across as wrathful or irate. That wasnít the case but sometimes might appear that way as I tend to debate with great zeal. Itís all good. Just donít shy away from speaking your mind or establishing your own views here. It wouldnít be any fun if people were afraid to express themselves and their beliefs. I would never want that to happen.

Quote:

I just got out of TKD class, and for the second hour we did nothing but boxing, kickboxing, BJJ, and stand up grappling, all live. It reminded me of how important live training is.

Glad you enjoyed yourself. Enjoy your life man and have fun because it passes you by faster than you realize. Train hard and live hard (the right way, fighting the good fight). Donít take yourself, training or your life TOO seriously. Enjoy every step of the way and donít take MY word for ANYTHING. Discover your own truths.

Cheers!

-John

#252915 - 07/25/06 02:19 PM Re: Ranting and Raving [Re: JKogas]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

Page 17 of 26 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 25 26 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga