FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (Dobbersky), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 11
trevek 6
JKogas 5
cxt 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Today at 05:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432447 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 10 of 19 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#252481 - 03/28/08 06:17 PM Re: Kata groundfighting [Re: Zach_Zinn]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Zach, why would I possibly NEED to prove anything to anyone here? I like to discuss karate and give some insight into why I do what I do and train the way I train. I also like to share information with others. Why do you feel the need to obtain "proof" from me as to why I do what I do?

#252482 - 03/28/08 06:22 PM Re: Kata groundfighting [Re: Ed_Morris]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

I guess the difference between the attitude of posts is his honesty of saying that he saw principles a different way in kata after he was trained in BJJ. ...as oppossed to giving the impression that the principles were learned from kata which were handed down untainted from master to master for centuries right to you.

That's just it Ed, when did I say this. The fact is I didn't. I have always maintained that my wrestling experience at 14 allowed me to see the similarites between the karate I was studying and the grappling I was learning. I even said that to understand them it was necessary to study grappling. The difference is I began training karate in February of 1990 and I began wrestling in November of 1990. Therefore my karate and grappling evolved together. So I have always seen the principles they shared. I then discussed my training in no gi bjj for a brief time which confirmed some of the things I had been working on and taught me some new stuff. The thing is this is not an integration of bjj with karate. This is understanding the underlying principles of using specific tools to fight and then applying them. Where have I stated otherwise Ed? Again, this is another example of perceptions coloring an individual's ability to objectively analyze what they have written.

Quote:

one attitude is sharing honest perception and gives credit where it's due; the other tries too hard to legitimize anachronistic systems by gaining outside skill, and then attributing that awareness/skill to the traditional system, in the hopes of proving their point of "it was always there".

Again Ed, where have I stated that I achieved skill only through karate training. I have always said my combative skill was gained through a variety of places including karate, wrestling, football, etc. I just like to give credit where credit is due. How about this. What if I said, " Can I grapple today? Bet your a$$. Do I beleive Okinawan Karate to be complete? Yes I do. I have been studying these principles for over twenty years. Had I not been introduced to Gracie Jiu Jitsu, I might not be using the principles on the ground today. I had the concepts and principles all along, I just needed to apply them in a different direction."

#252483 - 03/28/08 06:25 PM Re: Kata groundfighting [Re: medulanet]
Zach_Zinn Offline
Veteran

Loc: Olympia, WA
Quote:

Zach, why would I possibly NEED to prove anything to anyone here? I like to discuss karate and give some insight into why I do what I do and train the way I train. I also like to share information with others. Why do you feel the need to obtain "proof" from me as to why I do what I do?

I don't know...why do you feel the need to convince us of your opinions about groundfighting in kata?

Don't turn this around as if me or anyone else is attacking you, I don't think anyone has done that.

If you don't care about it at all then don't post about groundfighting in kata. I have great respect for the way you train, I just think if you're going to post about things like groundfighting in kata that you should at least try to qualify it.

Again I don't think anyone has attacked you in any way, why the hostility?

Edited by Zach_Zinn (03/28/08 06:30 PM)

#252484 - 03/28/08 06:50 PM Re: Kata groundfighting [Re: medulanet]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
medulant,

You made the claims a looong time ago. jood agrees and says it's easy to prove. No one has done so yet.

The burden of proof is on you guys. If you don't want to prove it then how can you argue your point?

#252485 - 03/28/08 07:25 PM Re: Kata groundfighting [Re: medulanet]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

Are you sure? In fact, I can't even make a post without someone who was not even in the conversation jumping in and begin a rant based on the fact that I do not share his same view point.

Med -

I do apologize if I come across harsh sometimes. I am a recovering a$$hole, with the understanding that I will never be completely cured from being an a$$hole.

I would like to reinforce Zach's point earlier about disagreeing with the historical points, as opposed to the training itself. From what I have read, you seem like a well-informed and able martial artist. Your training sounds like good stuff, and I would sincerely and with no sarcasm, be interested to see some video clips. I imagine that your training and mine has more similarities than differences.

Regardless of whether I agree with the kata/groundfighting connection.

#252486 - 03/28/08 07:58 PM Re: Kata groundfighting [Re: MattJ]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

I would like to reinforce Zach's point earlier about disagreeing with the historical points, as opposed to the training itself. From what I have read, you seem like a well-informed and able martial artist. Your training sounds like good stuff, and I would sincerely and with no sarcasm, be interested to see some video clips. I imagine that your training and mine has more similarities than differences.

I second that.

#252487 - 03/28/08 11:25 PM Re: Kata groundfighting [Re: BrianS]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

medulant,

You made the claims a looong time ago. jood agrees and says it's easy to prove. No one has done so yet.

The burden of proof is on you guys. If you don't want to prove it then how can you argue your point?

For me the proof is in actual application and sound training methods. I research history of karate for fun, but all that goes out the window in application. I never ask my teacher to prove that the application they teach me or technique goes back x number of years. If it works and fits into the training paradigm that they are teaching I take their word for it. Mainly because that is the way okinawan karate was mostly transmited. That is the way I have always been trained. In fact, my teacher laughs at me for coming on here and dropping this stuff on you guys. He said I should use the time for training. I think he might be right.

#252488 - 03/28/08 11:27 PM Re: Kata groundfighting [Re: medulanet]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

What if I said, " Can I grapple today? Bet your a$$. Do I beleive Okinawan Karate to be complete? Yes I do. I have been studying these principles for over twenty years. Had I not been introduced to Gracie Jiu Jitsu, I might not be using the principles on the ground today. I had the concepts and principles all along, I just needed to apply them in a different direction."

and I'd say, "fair enough, glad you are training well."

#252489 - 03/28/08 11:41 PM Re: Kata groundfighting [Re: Ed_Morris]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Quote:

What if I said, " Can I grapple today? Bet your a$$. Do I beleive Okinawan Karate to be complete? Yes I do. I have been studying these principles for over twenty years. Had I not been introduced to Gracie Jiu Jitsu, I might not be using the principles on the ground today. I had the concepts and principles all along, I just needed to apply them in a different direction."

and I'd say, "fair enough, glad you are training well."

Okay, lets give it a try.

#252490 - 03/28/08 11:50 PM Re: Kata groundfighting [Re: Zach_Zinn]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Quote:

I don't know...why do you feel the need to convince us of your opinions about groundfighting in kata?

Don't turn this around as if me or anyone else is attacking you, I don't think anyone has done that.

If you don't care about it at all then don't post about groundfighting in kata. I have great respect for the way you train, I just think if you're going to post about things like groundfighting in kata that you should at least try to qualify it.

Again I don't think anyone has attacked you in any way, why the hostility?

Zach, here's the thing. Okinawan karate is a complete system. I have been training the principles for ground fighting from the beginning. And because I wrestled for 4 years and then got some submission wrestling training I was able to "see" them. Then I applied the principles of kata to fighting on the ground.

Page 10 of 19 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga