FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by MattJ
10/28/10 08:51 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#252333 - 07/03/07 01:47 PM Re: When to strike? [Re: Cord]
Jim_Judy Offline
wants to be loved

Quote:

To ask the question in a different way: though the only physical force used was by the cop, is it in any doubt that the pimp was the attacker? To me it is clear, and to a jury it would be as well. i doubt, in fact, that it would even get as far as court.

How often is it this clear? More often than not, in situations such as this, I've had to deal with a sucker punch. No one has ever bull-charged me, getting his shirt ripped off in the process by his friends trying to hold him back.

#252334 - 07/03/07 02:35 PM Re: When to strike? [Re: Jim_Judy]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

So, Hard Sparring, Being a Bouncer/Doorman and/or Common Sense? That's what you recommend to be able to use Preemptive Striking appropriately?

Training in as realistic a manner as possible, using full resistance is important so as to familiarise yourself, and train your responses as best as you can to function if unfortunate enough to be attacked.

Common sense should be strived for in all walks of life, and applied at all times dont you think?

Working the door is not a requisite entry on your CV to be able to act pre-emptively, though the exposure to conflict and aggression that is inherent in the job does help improve your ability to assess such situations.
I would argue that only those with common sense, good judgement, good people skills, and confidence in their assessment of situations under pressure should do the job in the first place. A lot of firefighters hold second jobs as doorstaff for this very reason- they have the tools for the trade.

On the other side of the coin, pre-emptive action is not inherent or compulsory for door work. You have already heard Mcsensei disagree with my take on things, he is a door worker himself, so is Gavin. I am not the all singing voice of the Bouncers of the world, i am just speaking from my personal experience, and what I believe. Experiences and opinions vary.

I do not agree with your take on this as a sort of 'pro's vs plebs' kind of a deal. If you feel you have exhausted your options-if reason, placation and de-escalation have no effect, if escape is geographicaly impossible, or you have been persued and blocked in the attempt, then you would do well to accept this and put your attacker on the back foot, not allow them to start their attack at their leisure. I saw the sense in that before being involved in any form of security work.

Quote:

How often is it this clear? More often than not, in situations such as this, I've had to deal with a sucker punch. No one has ever bull-charged me, getting his shirt ripped off in the process by his friends trying to hold him back.

If the victim of a true sucker punch, then the fence is null and void because you simply havent seen it coming period.
Again, in my experience, the ritual of aggression escalation is very common. Verbal aggression, posturing, invasion of personal space, maybe even a shove (though for me that would constitute a physical attack in itself), the 'dance' before a fight is as natural as dogs growling and circling each other before the . Its part of the animal act of asserting dominance. Much of de-escalation is gratifying the sense of power in your aggressor- for some, this is enough and the worst you have to deal with is a bruised sense of pride as you walk away under a volley of insults. For some aggressor's however, this triggers a 'killer instinct', (my term, bit meladromatic, but I cant think of anything more suitable at the mo'), and then they look to assert their percieved dominance physicaly. At this point, you may as well 'lead the dance', or your partner will likely tread on your toes.

#252335 - 07/03/07 03:08 PM Re: When to strike? [Re: Cord]
Jim_Judy Offline
wants to be loved

Quote:

Again, in my experience, the ritual of aggression escalation is very common. Verbal aggression, posturing, invasion of personal space, maybe even a shove (though for me that would constitute a physical attack in itself), the 'dance' before a fight is as natural as dogs growling and circling each other before the . Its part of the animal act of asserting dominance. Much of de-escalation is gratifying the sense of power in your aggressor- for some, this is enough and the worst you have to deal with is a bruised sense of pride as you walk away under a volley of insults. For some aggressor's however, this triggers a 'killer instinct', (my term, bit meladromatic, but I cant think of anything more suitable at the mo'), and then they look to assert their percieved dominance physicaly. At this point, you may as well 'lead the dance', or your partner will likely tread on your toes.

I would defer to your door experience, since I have less than a year (the place was shut down after the 2nd shooting, serving minors, etc), but most of the "dance" is a public show that most often happens in club or party environments. I've never had this go on unless the aggressor was putting on a show & trying to impress someone.

Just to clarify, I was using "sucker punch" as coming from someone you aren't facing or someone that you haven't squared off with. I've never been hit in the back of the head, but folks have tried to sucker punch me from the side.

Besides ninja crap, I don't think that you can really train for a sucker punch to the back of the head short of doing to neck exercises and taking some shots to the back of the head & then turning to engage. This is where awareness & communication among the door staff (or maybe your friends) really pays off. A look from someone facing behind you can warn you enough so that you can duck your head or something.

Thats just me.

edited tio fix quote

Edited by MattJ (07/03/07 08:09 PM)

#252336 - 07/03/07 03:52 PM Re: When to strike? [Re: Cord]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Hi Cord

Thanks for the swift reply.

The video you posted Im afraid I couldnt take it seriouse. There are some other videos of some decent/ half decent fights but I think a password is required. Your explanations while valid in some sense dont change anything. Even southpaws can go off balance. No disrespect to Tyson. I would rather some one take the first step as me doing a pre-emptive strike thats if I hadnt already left. If my would be attacker was stupid enough to allow my pre-emptive strike to connect then he cant be worth much can he? If he was good perhaps he is inviting it? More the fool me for allowing myself to be goaded. Regards the build up and esculation before a fight then I think anybody who goes/ has to go through that ritual rarely is the hard guy you described. I think they would rather do it with out fore warning in the main. Regards the courts where a prior recording might have taken place I totaly diss-aggree but that is your descision.

Jude

Edited by jude33 (07/03/07 03:55 PM)

#252337 - 07/03/07 04:40 PM Re: When to strike? [Re: jude33]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

The video you posted Im afraid I couldnt take it seriouse

Interesting that you couldn't take it too seriously, because it was real.

Cord, I have to say I have enjoyed your posts and your description of the dance is dead on correct.

That is what fighting really is like, I sit on the forum and read a lot of posts about "real" fighting and I wonder have these guys ever actually been in a fight?

I was a bouncer myself and grew up in a city where fights were common and almost every one went down with all the pre-fight dancing Cord descibed.

Rarely have I seen 2 guys sqaure off and fight, I have never been in a fight that lasted more then a couple of seconds, and I have (almost)never seen a good fighter on the ground.

So the idea of when to strike and all the stuff that happens prior to a fight, is every bit if not more important than the actual fight itself, we trained for it but I get the feeling many or most do not.

Just some thoughts.

What I have seen bad fighters do, thats another story.

Edited by Kimo2007 (07/03/07 04:46 PM)

#252338 - 07/03/07 04:54 PM Re: When to strike? [Re: jude33]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
JJ, i agree that a lot of the shouting and posturing is just that- if you re examine my last post you will see I say just that (an assertion of dominance...comes to nothing more than insults if placated....etc). But it often does lead to physical confrontation as well. If the intensity of the aggression can not be dissipated through diplomacy or removal of your presence from the aggressor, then the threat is real, and the intent is serious. Thats a pretty simple observation to make, and a quick one as well.

(You do realise this makes a brief string of posts between us without insult on either part?)

Jude33, i am not sure why exactly you cant take the footage seriously, its not glamorous, but then life seldom is.
The image of the silent dangerous guy is another sweeping stereotype often courted by the movies. Eastwood, Kurt Russell, Bruce Willis- they all romanticise this idea.
the truth is that some real 'hard men' are as mouthy as a fog horn, and verbal aggression can elevate aggression and even be a side effect of adrenaline dump. What is the difference between a battle cry, a 'kiai', and 'COME ON THEN YOU FAT F*CKER!'? They all bolster confidence, focus breathing and are designed to intimidate.
Football hooligans spend their life chanting and yelling obscenities to and fro, but they also spend the aftermath of that action belting the cr4p out of each other as well. Loud, quiet, trained, untrained- everyone who wishes to do you harm is as great a threat- you can not afford to take someone less seriously because they dont fit your mental image of a 'tough guy'.
like you said, its your choice, and i hope that no one who either agrees or disagrees with me has to try this stuff out.

#252339 - 07/03/07 05:03 PM Re: When to strike? [Re: Cord]
Jim_Judy Offline
wants to be loved

Quote:

(You do realise this makes a brief string of posts between us without insult on either part?)

I suspect it's momentary, probably due to the fact that we largely agree with the subject matter in this thread (as opposed to live blade training, etc)

#252340 - 07/03/07 05:17 PM Re: When to strike? [Re: Kimo2007]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:

The video you posted Im afraid I couldnt take it seriouse

Interesting that you couldn't take it too seriously, because it was real.

Evening Sir.
Can I ask is that an assumption?
a question?
an idea?
or did
a double (Jude2) of myself communicate that wrongfull thought to you from a parrellel universe where such encounters dont take place ? Maybe in that place pimps as in the video are no longer required?
Nor martial arts practioners? Therefore its the wrong thought? or person?

Either way I am not to sure how you reached that conclusion but its somewhat wrong.
But it proves a point I was thinking about. Any how far be it for me to get entangled in a verbal none productive sparring match. If you have any fighters on video then please feel free to post them.

Jude

Edited by jude33 (07/03/07 05:44 PM)

#252341 - 07/03/07 06:01 PM Re: When to strike? [Re: jude33]
jude33 Offline
Veteran

What im trying to say is I dont think the video was for real. It looks false. Made for you tube. Actors.
Wind up right?

Jude

#252342 - 07/03/07 06:03 PM Re: When to strike? [Re: jude33]
Jim_Judy Offline
wants to be loved

Quote:

What im trying to say is I dont think the video was for real. It looks false. Made for you tube. Actors.
Wind up right?

Jude

Man, don't you dare dis the ura shuto!!!

Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga