FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
Zombie Zero 2
AndyLA 2
ergees 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Yesterday at 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432492 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#252243 - 06/26/06 02:19 PM Re: When to strike? [Re: jliu]
Amadeu Offline

Loc: England, Kent
option 1
you could always go up to him when he is alone and say If you going to strike me do it now otherwise shake my hand and dont start this again.
that has worked for me on stupid little chavs who think so much of themselves that they bring their friends into it.
And If then he is stupid enough to strike you then deal with him using apropiate force.

or
option number 2
when he throws insults at you simply stay quiet and look past him(this is done looking at the t of the body, below the head on the shoulders, this way you see past him makes him lack confidence, and you can see both his fists and feet.

#252244 - 06/26/06 05:23 PM Re: When to strike? [Re: Amadeu]
Ryan_Doherty Offline

Loc: Australia
I would say alert the teachers of it, the sooner the better.
We have laws and authority figures to protect aswell as guide and there's nothing square in using them to your advantage. Thats just an excuse to make the threatened feel like they are less of a man for doing so and in turn help the offenders get away with their actions. They are the dogs, not you.
You will probably look back on this and laugh.
My advise is pretty much like everyone else's. Just don't worry about him. You have better things to do than get hung up in verbal exchanges. Like studying, physical activitey and chasing girls. It just shows how small-minded this person is. He's probably got a big lesson in life headded his way. From what it sounds like he may even have to repeat the lesson a few times to get the point.
As has been said, if he attacks you, defend yourself. Knock his friends respect out of him. They will soon find a new leader to make up for their lack of fathering.

One question though, why is he threatening you?

Edited by Ryan_Doherty (06/26/06 05:24 PM)

#252245 - 06/26/06 05:47 PM Re: When to strike? [Re: BrianS]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

When someone steps inside of your territorial bubble (within reach) in a threatening manner you should act quickly. However, you should do everything possible to avoid this from happening including backing up.

Brian is correct. That's exactly what you do.

We use a concept called "Critical Distance". That is the zone from the end of your reach to your body if you had your arm sticking straight out to your side. If he comes within that reach, he's now in the RED ZONE, and you act then and there to intercept that movement.

I basically TELL people to keep their distance, in not so kind of a tone of voice. This is of course, if I know someone is looking for trouble or, if I don't know the person at all and get a weird vibe from them. People have no need at all to come within your personal space unless invited.

I have told many people whoíve walked up toward me (in some bad sections of town, obviously looking for money, etc.) to "stay the F*#K back" and that if they've got anything to say, they can say it from outside of reach. That generally gets the point across. Of course, donít be shy. You have to say it and mean it. You have to let people know that if they cross the line, theyíll have to deal with a wolverine. I donít mean to sound cheesy, but thatís the truth of the matter.

Of course I never met a lot of new friends that way either, but you know, I donít need anymore of those anyway.

-John

#252246 - 08/12/06 04:51 AM Re: When to strike? [Re: JKogas]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
most of the time these guys are all talk, in fact im in the same situation with someone at school. The best thing to do is to ignore them, but dont hesitate in showing him whos boss if he approaches, or threatens you. Oh yeah you probably know guys are 10000% more likely to start you when they are with their mates, so id avoid his group, but he shouldnt do anything on his own. ( and if he does you know what to do ;D)

#252247 - 08/20/06 02:15 AM Re: When to strike? [Re: crablord]
jonnyboxcutter Offline

It looks like this thread was started some time back; I hope your issues have been resolved. If not I would like to toss my .02 in

1) Talk to your instructor.

He knows you and your abilities. He may even know the other person in question. This does two things, one Ė it shows your respect for his opinion and for him and Two Ė he will be in a better position to explain how and when to deal with this if you end up needing to. Explaining the intricacies of when and when not to swing would be almost impossible in a text-based forum.

2) If itís an option, work with the best/fastest in your MA class as often as it is possible.

Primarily this will help your MA skills and that is always a good thing. It also has the secondary benefit of getting you used to seeing some one who is truly fast. This offers a unique benefit of making the average person look amazingly slow. Itís hard to explain but itís almost surreal.

I hope things turnout well for you,
-JBC-

#252248 - 08/20/06 10:32 AM Re: When to strike? [Re: jonnyboxcutter]
mleone Offline

Give him many ways out of the fight verbally... This means show him you dont want to fight...This brings his guard down..makes him over confident.

Your personal space is about arms length distance...
No one but family, and girlfreinds should be in this space.
If he comes in this space at least 2 times and verbally says "Im going to kick your butt".

Then its an ample time to stirke..
He threatened you and he is encroaching your personal space.
But you have to give him ways out of the fight. If he doesnt take them. Switch gears mentally..

Here are some parameters..
1. He has the ability (he is larger than you)
2. He displays the intent (verbally) (I want to kick your butt) etc
3. You gave him ways "out of the fight". Tell him you dont want to fight.

4. Encroached your personal space.. (No one has permission to be in your personal space) Except loved ones! This is a tool of domination..

If all of the above ring true. Then clock him in the face..
No one can draw a line for you only you can, not even a teacher or Instructor..
Your instructor is not fighting you are...

Keep both hands up while your talking.

#252249 - 08/20/06 12:51 PM Re: When to strike? [Re: mleone]
jonnyboxcutter Offline

Quote:

If all of the above ring true. Then clock him in the face..
No one can draw a line for you only you can, not even a teacher or Instructor..
Your instructor is not fighting you are...

You left out Ė Random person from the Internet

#252250 - 08/20/06 02:02 PM Re: When to strike? [Re: jonnyboxcutter]
mleone Offline

Random person on the internet can not even draw the line.
But can offer fairly sound advice..
There is no absolutes there never was..
Some try to train in just the black and white areas. But they leave out the grey areas.
Such as knowing when to strike.. Its not a cut and dry solution..
Its all really quite instinctual and intution based...

But when you give him all ways out and he still wants to fight. Then you have ruled out the possibility of him ever leaving you alone.. When you ruled that out. A much clearer picture appears..

Edited by mleone (08/20/06 02:10 PM)

#252251 - 08/31/06 12:04 AM Re: When to strike? [Re: mleone]
Bloody_Barbs Offline

If you absolutely have to fight, make sure he throws the first punch with reliable and honest people around, as long as they throw the first punch it is defending yourself unless you kick when they are down etc. Gl!

#252252 - 10/29/06 09:54 PM Re: When to strike? [Re: jliu]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
A pre-emptive strike is key to self defense. And its legal in most places. Check your local laws, if thats a worry to you. Most of the time you can tell the difference between a talker and someone who has the intent to hurt you. Use your instincts.

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga