FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
GojuRyuboy13 1
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#252057 - 05/09/06 06:12 AM TKD to Karate?
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Since the traditional TKD forms were based on shotokan karate, wouldn't they be designed with pretty much the same applications as Japanese Karate, maybe with minor modifications?
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#252058 - 05/09/06 06:20 AM Re: TKD to Karate? [Re: Stormdragon]
WuXing Offline

Loc: Idaho, USA
I wouldn't say they were "designed" with anything...they are the same forms. The applications likely weren't even thought of, and any modifications made were probably made without thought to the original application. To find their applications, I would look to a good shotokan school (a not good shotokan school would not practice applications either). Or even an Okinawan karate style which has versions of the same kata, though that may be a stretch.

#252059 - 05/09/06 06:40 AM Re: TKD to Karate? [Re: Stormdragon]
Toudiyama Offline

Loc: Zaandam, Netherlands
Although a good Shotokan school might train the applications, they were never part of the original curriculum, Funakoshi didn't teach t any.
Therefore any application practiced nowadays is reverse enginering and so are those of TKD, as a result the applications differ just as much as the form itself differ
This is because they are reverese enginered from how the forms look now
Form preceding application is what does that
If application precedes the form, and the application remain the same, then it doesn't matter if forms are changed to suit the founder, the application is still there

Doing a Pinan/Heian Kata with opponents is not what I call application

Example, Pinan Shodan/Heian Nidan, the tripple jodan uke/age uke, because of the deep rooted Shotokan stances the attacker has to step backwards while attacking, which as practical application doesn't make sence
Now if you take the Okinawa Karate with their higher up stances(shorin ryu) their bunkai where the triple Jodan uke could in fact be 3 attacks to pressure points in the neck erea makes much more sense then they would with the deep rooted stances of Shotokan

#252060 - 05/09/06 07:28 AM Re: TKD to Karate? [Re: Toudiyama]
WuXing Offline

Loc: Idaho, USA
I agree. If you want the closest to "real" kata, you need to go to one of the Okinawan styles. The TKD patterns are a copy of a copy of a version of the "real" thing. I was trying to be nice, in giving some shotokan schools the benefit of the doubt. I've never trained shotokan style, so I'd rather not make too many generalisations. I'm already generalising about TKD.

#252061 - 05/09/06 12:28 PM Re: TKD to Karate? [Re: WuXing]
theoldone Offline

Quote:

I'm already generalising about TKD.

Bad, bad boy!

#252062 - 05/09/06 02:41 PM Re: TKD to Karate? [Re: theoldone]
Mike_L Offline

Loc: Rio Rancho NM/Louisville KY (U...
All hail the mighty original undefeatable karate kata! TKD is fake Korea is a copy cat. Only Karate has applications. HA I mean why does TKD even exist? No one takes it seriously right? Just kidding, now by traditional TKD I assume you mean ITF correct? This may be true. WTF TKD has its own very diffrent and unique form set including the Taeguek, palgwe, and WTF black belt forms. Each have practiced applications I assure you. TKD KARATE one is not better than the other stop the generalizations please.

CHUCK NORRIS invinted all kata anyways, he tought Funakoshi everything he knew.

#252063 - 05/09/06 11:45 PM Re: TKD to Karate? [Re: Mike_L]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

I see what your all saying, however shotokan was based on okinawan karate so logically, I would htink the same applications would be burried in there somewhere. And I'm not saying TKD is bad or no good or anything, I like TKD, that's what I train in, I'm just looking for the connections between Okinawan, Japanese, and Korean martial arts traditions.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#252064 - 05/20/06 01:55 PM Re: TKD to Karate? [Re: Stormdragon]
charlie Offline

Loc: woking, surrey,uk
I have a 2nd dan in karate (shotokan) and I also have a dan grade in aiki jujutsu and at the moment i am training in tae kwon do ITF, currently blue tag. there are many similar movements/techniques in the tuls of tkd as in shotokan kata as shotokan influenced TKD.

Since doing aiki jujutsu I have been able to understand and study my karate kata and there are thousands of jujutsu techniques that relate to kata movements/techniques - and this is also true of TKD patterns. it's just that in some modern dojo's/dojangs they are not taught, probably because they are not known - e.g - this is a block, this is where you kick or punch.

I am at present working with my TKD teacher to introduce a self defence syllabus within the club and they are mainly all from jujutsu techniques which are found within kata/tuls - it's all there, just have to look a bit deeper and analyse it.

My karate teacher told me once - I teach you karate - you then go and work on it yourself, your own applications - they will be yours. of course some will be good and some will be bad - that's where you test them.

as the self defence federation would say - CREATE, ADAPT, APPLY -

#252065 - 05/20/06 02:09 PM Re: TKD to Karate? [Re: charlie]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Well, I'll keep that in mind when working on forms and stuff. I've slowly but steadily been finding more and more applications, very effective ones at that. So it's a work in progress.

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga