FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#251903 - 05/08/06 02:48 PM Bruce Lee demo video
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA

#251904 - 05/09/06 05:24 AM Re: Bruce Lee demo video [Re: MattJ]
PastTheWall Offline

Loc: London
I love watching JKD vids, just slightly less than actually training. I've seen the one-inch punch clip so many times, has anyone here ever tried it out?

#251905 - 05/09/06 06:02 AM Re: Bruce Lee demo video [Re: PastTheWall]
Ayub Offline
heartbreaker, lifetaker

Loc: London, UK
Yep, I have very little experience in it, but it did work pretty well if I remember correctly. The little Bruce Lee books talk you through it. The way you connect twice(or once then change the connectiion area), does seem like a push in some ways to me, a very short sharp push.

#251906 - 05/09/06 07:47 PM Re: Bruce Lee demo video [Re: Ayub]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
The one-inch PUSH, imo.

I spent an earlier part of my life looking at various things like the one inch punch, (and chi, dim mak, ninjas and everything else). I'm of the opinion now that it doesn't work very well. Even if it did, it's not very useful. It would be MORE useful to be able to hit hard while executing good footwork as opposed to standing still and gathering your "chi" in preparation to hit.

But that's just me.

-John

#251907 - 05/10/06 11:02 AM Re: Bruce Lee demo video [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

While I do not consider the one inch punch to be combat useful, it is a good way to get students to understand proper body mechanics for short range punching.

#251908 - 05/10/06 11:07 AM Re: Bruce Lee demo video [Re: JKogas]
PastTheWall Offline

Loc: London
Quote:

It would be MORE useful to be able to hit hard while executing good footwork as opposed to standing still and gathering your "chi" in preparation to hit.

I agree, from my point of view I don't see how I could ever use it in a practical situation. It is an interesting demo though. For me it falls into the category of moves that are visually impressive but I'm not sure of their practicality.

#251909 - 05/10/06 01:24 PM Re: Bruce Lee demo video [Re: PastTheWall]
gojuwarrior1 Offline
tougher than you

Loc: East Coast, USA
It would help if you were buried alive and had to punch your way out of the coffin .

#251910 - 05/10/06 01:29 PM Re: Bruce Lee demo video [Re: MattJ]
jkdwarrior Offline

Loc: belfast, Antrim, Ireland
Quote:

While I do not consider the one inch punch to be combat useful, it is a good way to get students to understand proper body mechanics for short range punching.

OK, so BL demonstrated the one inch punch all the time, but to say it's not useful in fighting is probably closed minded. I'm not having a dig here, but many people who think they can do it really can't. It should NOT be like a sharp push, it should really whack. When you take a proper boxing straight or hook punch and shorten it to this size, there should be only minimal loss of power. Besides, it is taught not only from one inch. It is more a three inch punch, or just a punch from wherever your hand is at that moment. There are many opportunities for it in a fighting or sparring situation. You should, in fact be able to knock a person clean out with it.
Also, if you learn to make all your punches very short, you will gain a vast amount of speed. I don't nessecarily mean a short distance between your hand and the target, but a small distance your whole body moves, your hand may move up to a distance of about two and a half feet even with the shortest of bodily movements. You ever see those MAists who can knock people out with apparently very little effort, they are using the same principle.
Finally when using it as a straight punch, it's not short range. If you look at the video of Bruce doing it, you will see that his hand is nearly fully extended before the punch is thrown.
No offense to anyone, this is what a forum is for after all, and these are my views. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

#251911 - 06/14/06 01:34 PM Floating Punch [Re: jkdwarrior]
SmithNWessonDo Offline

Loc: North Texas
I learned how to do this movement at a seminar with Ted Wong in 1994. Its actual name is the floating punch or the short bridge punch. It can be done from an inch away or a couple of inches away, but the idea is to channel force through the body to the extremity, the hand, and torque it vertically at just the right moment.

The traditional Chinese artists used a form of internal force they referred to as "ching", to develop for a healthy body and general fitness. One manifestation of ching was used to channel into one protruding fist, creating an explosive force with no apparent torque behind it. This is considered by many who practice internal medicine to be an abuse of the internal system and hazardous to the health since the chi is localized so much. I have read about some saying that such an abuse can even make the practitioner's internal organs fail or explode.

The way Lee did it was a deviation from the traditional way. Actually the way he did it even when he learned WC from Yip Man used a small torque to add force. When he developed the small-phasic-bent-knee stance he was able to combine the floating punch he already practiced with the new footwork dynamics. If you look at the video footage of him doing the punch at an expo in 1968, you can clearly see him pushing off from the back foot really hard and taking a very small step with it if you look closely. This is the transfer of force from the ground to the hand.

The force from this move is not a push. It actually has penetrating force. Several people in the group I was in volunteered to be hit with (and two without) a pad in front of the chest and all of them complained about chest pains for nearly a week afterwards.

#251912 - 07/25/06 10:28 AM Re: Bruce Lee demo video [Re: MattJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Rock on! Some lady over at MAP found a clip of the Full Contact demo BL did at a tournament in the 1960's (possibly Ed Parker's). According to her, the first half is apparently Bruce vs. Dan Inosanto, the second half is Bruce Vs. Taky Kimura. Not earth-shattering, but still kind of interesting.

http://www.alpinaconsulting.com/bruce/bruce_lee_sparring.mpeg

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga