FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#251933 - 12/26/07 01:19 AM Re: Bruce Lee demo video [Re: Aeras]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
1 inch punch being a knock out hit? probably difficult
however, short power is definitely something that can inflict damage and more than just a technique to create distance. Its a development of strength that the Chinese would call "ging." The power generation is something difficult to describe but it focuses lots of power into a small movement, whether it be a punch or a pulling of a hand. If "ging" is incorporated into my short distance punch then someone who is in a bad position will probably fly themselves off a few feet. If I pulled the guy then he'll fly in the other direction.

The strength that Bruce Lee demonstrated does not only translate into a 1 inch punch, but to many other movements as well. And the 1 inch punch still can deliver a powerful blow, especially if you can aim it to sensitive areas of the body (neck, ribs, pressure points, etc). Sure it may not knock someone out, but it'll definitely hurt. I say this confidently after feeling the short power of some of the people that train Southern Praying Mantis with me. Definitely wouldn't want to be on the recieving end.

Also short power allows you to move about faster, per say, because of the lesser distance your fist would need to travel compared to regular, non-short power. This would be ideal, it takes lots and lots of work to get that kind of power.

#251934 - 09/03/08 10:26 PM Re: Bruce Lee demo video [Re: PastTheWall]
DojiSan Offline

Quote:

Quote:

It would be MORE useful to be able to hit hard while executing good footwork as opposed to standing still and gathering your "chi" in preparation to hit.

I agree, from my point of view I don't see how I could ever use it in a practical situation. It is an interesting demo though. For me it falls into the category of moves that are visually impressive but I'm not sure of their practicality.

Lets say your opponent has you in a Muay Thai clinch, maybe you can put your hand right next to his throat and execute a one inch punch before he can get his knee up. If you hit his adams apple in the right way, you could hurt him enough to let go of the clinch maybe even do serious damage to his throat.. There are many different ways you can use the one inch punch..come on man, think! Being creative during battle is the essence of JKD

#251935 - 09/03/08 10:36 PM Re: Bruce Lee demo video [Re: MattJ]
DojiSan Offline

Quote:

I agree with Chen. Impressive speed, but he is sacrificing power to go that fast. You can not meaningfully transfer weight or engage the core at that speed.

power = speed x mass

#251936 - 09/04/08 05:39 AM Re: Bruce Lee demo video [Re: DojiSan]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
What is your point? Did you read my post? Hand speed with no core engagement = no power.

#251937 - 05/04/09 09:29 AM Re: Bruce Lee demo video [Re: MattJ]
Jbacs Offline
Stranger

the one inch punch is very effective when someone is attempting to grapple with you. a nice short one inch punch to the sternum is a good way to make sure he does not try that again

#251938 - 05/04/09 09:46 AM Re: Bruce Lee demo video [Re: Jbacs]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Mmmmmmmkay. Because I'm sure you've tried it against some grapplers.

#251939 - 05/04/09 01:42 PM Re: Bruce Lee demo video [Re: Jbacs]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

the one inch punch is very effective when someone is attempting to grapple with you. a nice short one inch punch to the sternum is a good way to make sure he does not try that again

No its not.

#251940 - 05/05/09 08:02 AM Re: Bruce Lee demo video [Re: Cord]
Jbacs Offline
Stranger

my original background is in wrestling And yes I have tried it against a grappler. It is a good way to create seperation or to start going on the offense

#251941 - 05/05/09 08:28 AM Re: Bruce Lee demo video [Re: Jbacs]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

No, it's not.

#251942 - 05/06/09 02:43 AM Re: Bruce Lee demo video [Re: Jbacs]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

my original background is in wrestling And yes I have tried it against a grappler. It is a good way to create seperation or to start going on the offense

Its a nice theory, but the '1 inch punch' requires very specific biomechanics, that can only be applied if someone else isnt altering your centre of balance, or applying disruptive forces to you.

Its the same as all those cool 'effortless' pushes that you see in Tai Chi Demo's - they are not fraudulent, its just that they are very, very unlikely to be successfully applied in a live environment, where you are defending, bobbing, moving, counter striking etc.

Some of the principles behind such biomechanics can be utilised in 'gross' motor movement of fighting for sure, but all that will happen if you try a 1 inch punch when a grappler has you in a clinch, is that you will give them a jab about the strength of a 'crow peck' (remember them from school right? ).

The closest you will find to such a technique in a real fight, is timing a good short traditional jab or cross, so your oponent moves into it with their jaw. You see this sometimes with great boxers - just looks like a little 'pop!' but when you see the replay, the oponent has eaten the power of the punch direct from the hip, before it has been released through the arm.

But the bruce lee one inch punch (tm), is a parlour trick, nothing more. He used it to gain publicity, not as a fighting tool.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga