FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Today at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#251739 - 05/09/06 12:44 PM Re: What IS Jeet Kune Do [Re: theoldone]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
The Bruce topic is probably so beaten to death on this forum that most would rather say nothing than talk about him. It's not hard to familiarize yourself with his theories, philosophies and movies - why beat it to death with a bunch of people who have done the same? JKD is bigger than just Lee now, as are any MA's that outlive their founders. With JKD however, there is still a lot of evolution taking place and many new influences coming in. It's just so much more interesting to stick to the workings of the system instead of going over it's founder.

#251740 - 05/09/06 04:05 PM Re: What IS Jeet Kune Do [Re: ShikataGaNai]
Shouji Offline

Loc: VA
Jeet Kune Do will continually grow and grow, because it follow's Bruce Lee's philosophy of, "taking in what is useful". As time passes by, more and more fighting techniques will arise, and those who deem it useful will use it.

It is a style, while not being a style (if you understand that).

" * A martial artist who drills exclusively to a set pattern of combat is losing his freedom. He is actually becoming a slave to a choice pattern and feels that the pattern is the real thing. It leads to stagnation because the way of combat is never based on personal choice and fancies, but constantly changes from moment to moment, and the disappointed combatant will soon find out that his "choice routine" lacks pliability. There must be a "being" instead of a "doing" in training. One must be free. Instead of complexity of form, there should be simplicity of expression."

Take that quote seriously, because that is what it is all about.

#251741 - 05/09/06 05:11 PM Re: What IS Jeet Kune Do [Re: Shouji]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Contrary to that though, is that Lee never really mastered any particular art and could well have missed some great revelations in his studies. I would imagine that if he studied with Yip Man in WC, he could have gleened enough of it to not need all of the boxing, grappling, fencing, etc. etc. that he incorporated into JKD. I guess there are students and masters and we all have to find which one we are. Although Bruce became a master of his own art, there is nothing wrong with a dedicated student studying the way of one art. It is only what is taught and what is learned that matters and most of us just aren't good enough to rebel against that structure.

#251742 - 05/09/06 05:40 PM Re: What IS Jeet Kune Do [Re: ShikataGaNai]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
It's funny...

We see so many Wing Chun guys saying that "Lee never completed his studies in the art and, if he had, would have never seen reason to form JKD.

I have a different opinion of that. That opinion isn't particularly favorable of Wing Chun as a functional method of training.

-John

#251743 - 05/09/06 07:04 PM Re: What IS Jeet Kune Do [Re: JKogas]
Wosaw Offline

I just wanted to say to everyone on this topic so far that I really respect everyone's knowledge and opinions about JKD. Also I was surprised with the link from wikipedia, they were pretty Thorough with their information on JKD. I don't know why, but I really enjoyed reading what everyone had to say. As for the whole Bruce topic I think its kinda important to know a little about him and how he came up with JKD, cause I feel it gives you a little better understanding of JKD. But, yea Bruce is gone, thank him for JKD, and move on.

Quote:

Contrary to that though, is that Lee never really mastered any particular art and could well have missed some great revelations in his studies. I would imagine that if he studied with Yip Man in WC, he could have gleened enough of it to not need all of the boxing, grappling, fencing, etc. etc. that he incorporated into JKD.

I've read something like this before a number of times. Um, if he didnt master it, he didnt master it. Maybe he missed out maybe he didnt. Either way he did what he did. As for you putting that you think he wouldn't need to incorporate boxing, grappling, ect., errr I respect your opinion but strongly disagree with that view. I could argue this point, but I really dont feel like doing this at this point and time. I'll leave it to someone else. I've posted enough for now.

#251744 - 05/09/06 07:43 PM Re: What IS Jeet Kune Do [Re: Wosaw]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Wosaw -

There's nothing wrong with talking about Bruce Lee. His name should be mentioned somewhat I suppose when you're talking about JKD. What I was basically saying was that there are a lot of people who don't know a whole lot about martial arts that get really enamored with Bruce Lee to the point that you feel they believe he was some kind of supernatural being or what-not.

Any other talk about Lee's reported abilities or inabilities is purely speculation at this point, wouldn't you agree? It's all "talk".

I'd rather talk about something that I can verify, and that is the validity of the concepts behind JKD (again, not that talking about Lee is unwelcome really, but you get the point I'm sure).

-John

#251745 - 05/09/06 08:12 PM Re: What IS Jeet Kune Do [Re: JKogas]
Wosaw Offline

lol i never said there was anything wrong with talking about Bruce lee. My message was kind of towards people who just are obsessed about him or say something like "If Bruce...". Sorry if I offended, I know he has to be talked about somewhat. Anyways, back to talkting about JKD, I'd write something, but I think I'll re-read for something that hasnt been said then put it.

#251746 - 05/09/06 08:15 PM Re: What IS Jeet Kune Do [Re: Wosaw]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Quote:

lol i never said there was anything wrong with talking about Bruce lee.

I know. I wasn't implying that. I was telling everyone that its OK to talk about Lee to some extent but not to become obsessed with it.

-John

#251747 - 05/09/06 09:07 PM Re: What IS Jeet Kune Do [Re: Wosaw]
Shouji Offline

Loc: VA
Quote:

lol i never said there was anything wrong with talking about Bruce lee. My message was kind of towards people who just are obsessed about him or say something like "If Bruce...". Sorry if I offended, I know he has to be talked about somewhat. Anyways, back to talkting about JKD, I'd write something, but I think I'll re-read for something that hasnt been said then put it.

Due, Bruce Lee is god

#251748 - 05/10/06 12:49 AM Re: What IS Jeet Kune Do [Re: JKogas]
Wosaw Offline

Quote:

Wosaw -

There's nothing wrong with talking about Bruce Lee...

Thats what confused me lol, thought it was directed towards me. Oh well. =P

Well about JKD, its the only art that I know of to emphasis on training dynamically. " Be instinctively familiar with all possibilities. Bruce Lee "

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga