FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 163 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#250953 - 05/04/06 03:27 AM My new work out for power.
Dan1986 Offline

hey guys, heres my new work out, tell me what you think

Monday
Neider upright press
underhand barbell push out
punching dumbbell
front shoulder lift
Flat dumbbell bench press

Tuesday
4-100m sprint
4-100m lunge jump
2x50 or 100 squat jumps
shadowbox 15min or 30 min
speed drill 4-30sec, 2 with gloves, 2 bare hand
then my ab workout
focus mitts and spar

Wed.
Full Contact twist
overhand barbell push (I hate this one)
punching dumbbell
side shoulder life
dumbbell fly

Thurs.
Same as tues

Friday
Neider upright press
Full contact twist
Bicep curls
front/side shoulder life
good mornings
punching dumbbell
dumbbell press or fly (depends on which one I feel like)

I really have no set weight, If I can go heavy I will, if I am still sore or tired I will do light, I really try to listen to my body. What do you think. I can not do a weight leg work out, cause of an old injury, but my doctor said that the tues, thurs is ok for my to do.

#250954 - 05/04/06 07:08 AM Re: My new work out for power. [Re: Dan1986]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
I like your tues/thurs routine, though I would concentrate on the height and drive of your plyo squats, as opposed to the number of them. Stop when you fail to reach your target height 3 times in a row- your explosivity, and therefore power is burnt out and you are flogging a dead horse.

Standing neider press are cool, and have functional merit.But should be done after your primary chest and shoulder work, or incorporated into your tues/thurs sport specific conditioning.
Punching with dumbells is useless. you are putting downward force on your punches- this has ZERO functional application in the mechanics of the punch, and can actually lead to slowing your punches down. At best you are merely wasting your time, at worst they are a shoulder/elbow injury waiting to happen.

Also, you have lots of anterior work (pressing) but you have only a nod to your back in the good mornings. This is an imbalance that will do you no favours. Kick the dumbell punches out, and replace them with some deadlift or power cleans, and on the second weights workout of the week, instead of revisiting your bench press or flye (about as useful as a chocolate fireplace), put some chin ups in the routine.
These back exercises will help your core power, balance your development and maintain postural integrity. they also mean you can lose the bicep curls- again no place in a functional routine, all they do is cause extra wear and tear on your already heavily worked elbow joints.

#250955 - 05/04/06 09:54 AM Re: My new work out for power. [Re: Cord]
JasonM Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

(about as useful as a chocolate fireplace)

mmmm, tasty... Never heard that one b4....

Edited by MrMoyer (05/04/06 01:19 PM)

#250956 - 05/04/06 01:16 PM Re: My new work out for power. [Re: Dan1986]
bo-ken Offline
Veteran

Loc: beaver falls, PA, beaver
Your Tues. and Thurs. volume is a little high would make it shorter. Because if you are doing mitts and sparring later in the day you want to be fresh or else technique will suffer. I would agree with Cord about punching with weight. Why not just hit a heavy bag instead. I love pull ups and chin ups of all variations you should put some in. Back strength is often over look don't be one of those people.

If your doctor said that jumping squats were fine then I don't see why you can't do other body weight leg exercises. Try one legged squats on days you aren't doing plyometrics.

#250957 - 05/05/06 02:26 AM Re: My new work out for power. [Re: bo-ken]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

If your doctor said that jumping squats were fine then I don't see why you can't do other body weight leg exercises. Try one legged squats on days you aren't doing plyometrics.

i would go one further, and state that the stress on the knees from high impact plyometric movements is far greater than that experienced by the knees during regular weighted squats, deadlifts and lunges when completed with good technique. Leg extensions have now been ruled contra indicated for most knee injuries, but the range of movement involved in squats/deads is positively encouraged by most sport doctors/physio's.

If you can bound up and down a track like a gazelle, you can squat with weights- simple as that.

#250958 - 05/05/06 02:57 AM Re: My new work out for power. [Re: Dan1986]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

I can not do a weight leg work out, cause of an old injury, but my doctor said that the tues, thurs is ok for my to do.

What type of injury are we talking about? I have a pretty bad knee injury and thank god I was weight lifting, and still do otherwise I'm sure I'd be hobbling around to this day. My Sports Doctor and Surgeon were totally surprised at how well I'm doing with out an ACL. Even my Instructor is missing his MCL. I will be going for surgery as soon as I get the call but once I'm healed I'm back at it.

The legs are your foundation and are a must ... but again we don't know what type of injury you have. And if you are really concerned about it I would skip your General Practitioner (GP) and consult a Sports Doctor who understands this stuff better as it is his/her specialty. Plus as bo-ken and Cord pointed out, those two things don't add up.

#250959 - 05/05/06 03:53 AM Re: My new work out for power. [Re: Dereck]
Dan1986 Offline

I really dont understand either, my Doctor said that my knees were some what out of place, I dont know were he got that but he is the only one who has given me a stright answer, and he is also letting some of football trainers for the Arkansas Razorbacks, give me ideas of how to slow strengthening them, and they said and my doctor said to do more poly. than weights, and I will take the punching dumbells out and replace it with deadlift, and add chin ups, and since I am at school, I do not have a heavy bag there with me, but I do have one at home. hope this clears things up a bit. If I miss anything let me know. Thanks for the help also.

#250960 - 05/05/06 06:33 AM Re: My new work out for power. [Re: Dan1986]
Cord Offline
Prolific

most knee alignment problems are due to the dominance of the vastus lateralis over the vastus medialis: the outer quad is stronger than the inner quad, causing the kneecap to be pulled out of its natural groove of articulation. its a condition known as chondromylacia patellae, (forgive spelling, its a been a long while since I needed to ), it is more commonly known as 'runners knee'.

The vastus medialis really only gets full engagement in the last 15 degrees of knee extension, because the knee never fully extends to locked position when running, distance runners often build this condition up over time. Just ensure that when you deadlift or squat, you ensure each rep locks out, and concentrate on making the drive in your plyo comes at the very last moment before lock out (many miss out on a lot of drive by jumping off a short range of motion). By using the legs as nature intended, the balance will be restored.

#250961 - 05/06/06 01:22 AM Re: My new work out for power. [Re: Cord]
Dan1986 Offline

I do remember my doc saying something about that, so this is common problem,(hoorah), any way, on the the punching dumbbells, they were one of bruce lee's fav workout drills, but I still have taken what you said to heart but what are your thoughts on that, and I am not sure that I have proper technique on the Full Contact Twist, I have heard to turn your foot and to not too. do any of you know a site that explains it in great detail.

#250962 - 05/06/06 02:24 AM Re: My new work out for power. [Re: Dan1986]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

on the the punching dumbbells, they were one of bruce lee's fav workout drills, but I still have taken what you said to heart but what are your thoughts on that

My thoughts are that he was as quick as he was despite using this exercise, not as a result of it.

there are many elite athletes who have found things that work for them as individuals, but would not be good for others to follow. Colin Jackson (olympic gold medal/world record holser in 100m hurdles) used to eat a family size bar of milk chocolate 15mins or so before a race. Does that mean that if you do the same, your hurdle ability will improve? of course not. Copying someone else's training in an effort to attain their abilities is a fruitless waste of time- you have not got the same genetics, and your body will respond in different ways to the stimuli you expose it to. Finding what works for you, as an individual and tailoring it into workouts that compliment your own strengths and abilities is what its all about. Bruce Lee taught this in relation to Martial arts, and I am sure his philosophy extended to comlimentary training.
If he were alive today, he would, as a voracious reader, and keen exerciser, be up to date with the 33 years of research and advancement that have occured in the fields of exercise and biomechanics since his death, and I feel confident would have ceased punching with dumbells in favour of more proven and effective functional exercises.

Quote:

I am not sure that I have proper technique on the Full Contact Twist, I have heard to turn your foot and to not too. do any of you know a site that explains it in great detail.

i am not aware of a 'full contact' twist- is this a standing torso twist with a weighted barbell across your shoulders? If so, do it without the foot turn as you want to work the obliques. By turning the foot you engage the hips- this is not a bad thing, its just if you are doing neider press, hip engaged torso twists are re-visiting a core movement, leading to overtraining.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga