FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111, BUJU, Pilsungkarate
22931 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
ergees 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22931 Members
36 Forums
35588 Topics
432519 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#250791 - 05/03/06 04:42 PM stick drills
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
Ok folks!

here's a chance to see what sort of stick drills each of us practices on a regular basis

the ones we practice regularly are

4 count
6 count
12 count
heaven 7
earth 7
single sinawali
double sinawali
redondo
banda banda

Due to shortage of time today I won't list the strike patterns at the moment but will do them later.

Feel free to add your own drills and patterns.

#250792 - 05/03/06 05:39 PM Re: stick drills [Re: Reiki]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bellingham, WA
I'm really bad with names, so i'll go with as much as i can here -

Single and Double Siniwali
Panantukan/Wing Chun/Jun Fan empty hand drills
Defense against the 5 basic striking angles (stick and knife)
Heaven 6 - yes, we have six (hi, lo, mid and hi-lo-hi)
Flow drills of all kinds
Some game where you have a knife in one hand, your opponent has one in his and you've both got each other's wrists. The idea is to break free or cleverly get the knife into their vitals.

SPARRING

well, time to go to class....

#250793 - 05/04/06 02:09 AM Re: stick drills [Re: Reiki]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
...oh, I don't know (it was never presented w/ formal names)

maybe:
1) "bang da stick"
2) "don't get da knuckle hit"
3) "hit wen da stick drop"
4) "no trying disarm all da time"
5) "hey man, let go my stick"

(sorry)

#250794 - 05/04/06 02:17 AM Re: stick drills [Re: hedkikr]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

I like "Hey man, leggo my stick".
Is it more effective if you go ?

#250795 - 05/04/06 05:46 AM Re: stick drills [Re: ShikataGaNai]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Carlos Navarro (Black Eagle Escrima) taught a really simple drill:

break hand
break hand
break leg
break face

#250796 - 05/04/06 12:19 PM Re: stick drills [Re: eyrie]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Ouch, I actually saw that one demonstrated between a master and top student in a school rivalry (yes, we have those here).

#250797 - 05/04/06 11:53 PM Re: stick drills [Re: ShikataGaNai]
mike-a Offline

Loc: auckland, new zealand
I assume it's double stick drills you're asking about...

I'll go from sources

(from Doce Pares)
4 count (variations, open and closed)
8 count (variations, open and closed)
12 count following
6 count series

(from Inosanto kali)
kob-kob series
6 count series
lacosta 8 count
abecedario 6 and 8 count
gunting drill
sombrada (can be done with 2 sticks)

(from Bakbakan kali)
the 17 individual techniques in the lakbay siniwali form
ang batikan form

(from DiamondBack eskrima)
the 4 part siniwali drill (64 moves in total...)

There are also a few drills from pekiti tirsia we play with sometimes, but they mostly show up in the Inosanto kali stuff.

But for single stick, knife, double knife, stick and dagger and empty hand, there are a *bunch* more...

#250798 - 05/05/06 07:05 PM Re: stick drills [Re: mike-a]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
This isn't a specific list of drills, however I'd like to explain our 5 stage process of how we teach people stick fighting. Here's how we do it (and this has ZERO to do with "styles"):

1. Put stick in beginners hand and go over the basics of stroking from the forehand and backhand positions, straight in, etc (this would normally include the 9 basic angles).

2. Show them basic defense (evasion, evasion with hand hit, evasion with head hit, blocking and crashing)

3. Thai pad drills with sticks (swinging out at them and letting them return fire into the "shields"

4. Progressive resistance drills and sparring (stick vs. stick) using the basic strikes and the basic defenses as well as the progressive use of equipment (starting with hockey glove and elbow pads, then knee pads, the helmets, etc).

5. All out sparring with soft sticks (all ranges, including the ground), then with rattan sticks.

And that covers EVERTHING. People get up to speed right away.

-John

#250799 - 05/05/06 08:09 PM Re: stick drills [Re: JKogas]
ShikataGaNai Offline
Veteran

Just out of curiosity, do you guys go all out with the rattan sticks? Is it like a Dog Brothers kind of thing where people get really messed up, or is it soft sparring or what? Do you use hockey gloves/fencing masks always, or just in the beginning? The reason I ask is I might start teaching a handful of people Kali and I want them to progress without getting scared off. It's hard to figure out how much is too much.
thanks

#250800 - 05/05/06 08:34 PM Re: stick drills [Re: ShikataGaNai]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
ShikataGaNai wrote:
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, do you guys go all out with the rattan sticks? Is it like a Dog Brothers kind of thing where people get really messed up, or is it soft sparring or what? Do you use hockey gloves/fencing masks always, or just in the beginning? The reason I ask is I might start teaching a handful of people Kali and I want them to progress without getting scared off. It's hard to figure out how much is too much.
thanks

You gotta ALWAYS be sane about things. What the Dog Brothers do isnít for everyone. I mean, I personally donít believe you need to go quite that far in order to learn something about yourself and develop the ability to fight.

Take vale tudo for example. There is no better way of learning about yourself than by doing vale tudo. No one gets seriously hurt because of the jiu-jitsu aspect and the ground fighting. It isnít like boxing where itís ďforced brain damageĒ in other words (where the very rules force you to stand and trade, taking punches to the head).

As I mentioned in my post, we use PROGRESSIVE RESISTANCE in all things (not just stick fighting, but in MMA/Vale Tudo as well). What this means for stick fighting is, you start with the easy stuff, using light rattan and not swinging for the fences. Allow people to become accustomed to having a stick swung at them while working their defense. You can use focus pads for targets during this phase.

Then you put on hockey gloves and practice hand sparring only. That is another progression of resistance. Then have them wear kali helmets and hockey gloves, adding another level of resistance. You can use soft sticks during this phase, or light rattan.

Add some good knee pads and allow targets to the hand, head and knee (again using soft sticks or light rattan). This is good for experience and is a gradual progression, as always. Once you have people adjusted to having sticks swung at them (using good protection), this will go a long way toward developing their confidence and technique.

THEN, add crashing (roof blocks, etc) and work the clinch using punyos, knee strikes, elbows, takedowns, etc. Then allow them to continue on the ground, working for the fang choke for example or, some other submission.

The key is to make it a gradual process that doesnít outpace a personís skill or readiness level. Always use progressive resistance.

Itís a process of addition then subtraction. What I mean is, over time in training as students become more comfortable with the process, you progressively add protective equipment and intensity to the sparring and drilling. Then as they become even more comfortable, begin to progressively and gradually take the protective equipment AWAY until itís as minimal as people are comfortable fighting with.

Thatís a general outline that has worked for me and others (JKDU and the SBG to name a few).

-John

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga