FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#249494 - 04/27/06 07:14 PM Shureido Wall Mounted Mak
Alejandro Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Las Cruces, NM USA
Hey all!

Has anyone used the wall mounted makiwara made by Shureido? I've seen it online and in a couple of dojo, and it appears to be a thin padded board connected to another thicker piece, with space between for flexibility. I'm always sceptical about wall mounted makiwara, as most sold online and through catalogue are pretty aweful, defying fundamental makiwara concepts.

Anyway, can anyone tell me if the Shureido one is worth having? I ask because I'm moving in to a new apartment this month and would be able to mount it (A makiwara again, at last!). Thanks!

#249495 - 04/27/06 07:43 PM Re: Shureido Wall Mounted Mak [Re: Alejandro]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
I havent used one of these myself, however im sure if you dont overload it, it will be of benefit to some degree.

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#249496 - 04/28/06 12:28 AM Re: Shureido Wall Mounted Mak [Re: Alejandro]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Wall mounted makiwara doesn't have enough spring. (unless you figure out a way..like mounting it on top of a tire).

I stopped using wall makiwara for conditioning years ago, a bag without gloves is better. hitting stuff without much give, I believe, is more long-term damaging than helpful.

I still do use floor mount makiwara, but for training impact penetration and alignment.

just my opinion...

btw...Shureido is a top notch supplier, but even the best tool for the wrong job isn't necessarily a good investment.

#249497 - 04/28/06 01:40 AM Re: Shureido Wall Mounted Mak [Re: Alejandro]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
I hit the website & only saw the floor mounted (traditional) makiwara. I couldn't tell you if the unit you saw is worth getting but...

won't your apartment neighbors have something to say when you bang that pad @ 2 AM?

#249498 - 04/28/06 01:55 AM Re: Shureido Wall Mounted Mak [Re: hedkikr]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Quote:

won't your apartment neighbors have something to say when you bang that pad @ 2 AM?

I know mine sure did!

#249499 - 04/28/06 06:09 AM Re: Shureido Wall Mounted Mak [Re: Ed_Morris]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

I was being nice..................Eds right of course!

#249500 - 04/28/06 11:17 AM Re: Shureido Wall Mounted Mak [Re: Ed_Morris]
Alejandro Offline
Enthusiast

That was my initial feeling toward the product. I just don't trust a wall mounted wakiwara, as I have hit them before. I'm in agreement, Ed, Makiwara are not for hand conditioning, but for strike alignment and dynamics. I'll look for a picture of the makiwara and post the link.

Hehe, we'll see about the apartment meighbors!

#249501 - 04/28/06 12:25 PM Re: Shureido Wall Mounted Mak [Re: Alejandro]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

i think makiwara by default deliver conditioning beneits as well as the other things, its down to how you us ethem.

I train 3 times a week for 20 mins or thereabouts on the makiwara and have seen significant conditioning benefits in just over a year or so. slow and steady is the way, with sensible power levels.

#249502 - 04/30/06 11:38 AM Re: Shureido Wall Mounted Mak [Re: Alejandro]
Uchinanchu Offline

Loc: Okinawa, Japan
Alejandro,
I have used Shureido's wall mounted maki and found it quite effective IF used properly. Understand that contrary to popular belief, there are a variety of different types of makiwara used for reasons other than just conditioning the hands. Even the traditional floor mounted ones can vary, depending upon the wood used, the tapering , and the way it is mounted. Some are designed to have a quite a bit of give in them for more intensive focus strike drills, while others have less give and/or a more intence spring back on them. This second type tends to put more stress on the wrist, elbow and should joints and if not used properly can cause you serious injury. If you choose to use the wall maki, please keep this in mind and use it with care, using medium range power strikes.
This said, I can tell you that shureido's maki is well constructed and holds up to quite a bit of punishment (I havn't always followed my own advice and paid the price.) If you do purchase the maki, and plan on using it on a regular basis, you might want to order an extra wood plate to have on hand for the occasional breakage that occurs. Hope this helps.

#249503 - 05/01/06 06:57 PM Re: Shureido Wall Mounted Mak [Re: Alejandro]
Ogoun Offline

Loc: Fort Myers, FL
I have one. There is more to it than two pieces of wood/boards. There is a thick pad behind the leather padded boards. The foam pad gives it resistance and bounce. It was effective. It does not offer as much resistance or bounce as the traditional makiwara. The strength of the resistance has dierct relationship to the strength of the punch. I have stopped using it after I purchase a makiwara base that is mounted/bolted on a platform. It looks like a traditional makiwara except it is bolted to the wooden platform, and your weight keeps the platform from moving.

#249504 - 05/02/06 02:31 AM Re: Shureido Wall Mounted Mak [Re: Ogoun]
Alejandro Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies!

I am certainly a makiwara purist, and am reluctant to purchase it. But it is much cheaper than the floor platform one, and sounds like it can have much use up to a certain level of power. I can cetainly say, however, that my fists have been aching to strike the old makiwara (I've been away from home for a year). I'll have access to my old outdoor makiwara over the summer, a good old one made from an actual whole pine branch with a natural taper,
and will reconsider the purchase later this summer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga